Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Ligur posted:

Then you read too much between the lines. Europeans in their current nation states can get along get pretty fine. As witnessed by the fact that they are. Or do you disagree? Are the Danes killing each other over political power?

North-Africans can not get along, without some oppressive power which enforces a sort of "peace". If you shove in a Yugo-situation in here, Europe, then you get Yugoslav war.

For example in the Middle-East, if you give the Shia or the Kurds their own nation instead of spreading them all over the place with various factions...you would have much less trouble. Or are you saying the Shia and the Sunni get along swimmingly?

All in all you don't understand what I'm posting about, at all, is what it sounds like. And fail to understand what I type when you ask questions. Perhaps you should stop, then. Unless you can answer why the Norwegians are not cutting each others throats. But you won't do that, will you?

I disagree with your statement that north africans can't get along as you have provided no evidence for it. Also are you saying north africa is a yugo situation?

Now that you have jumped to the shia and kurds did they choose to be put in the same nation and intentionally played against each other to maintain control? How is that proof that shia and kurds are inherently incapable of getting along?

Jumping back to europe again, Norwegians are not cutting each others throats because they live in a place that hasn't had foreign governments installing dictators and destabilizing public security because they didn't vote the right way for the last 60 years and that is only a shallow view of the entire reason.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ligur posted:

Yes I would agree with this opinion.

IMO this poster is pretty much of the correct stance.

What makes Europe unique in all of human history -- and a contribution to human society which is severely undervalued and unacknowledged, imo -- is the combination of Roman popular assemblies with the institutions of Catholicism that developed, especially after Catholicism banned priestly marriage. One tends to want to provide their kin better opportunities than one would afford strangers; over generations, this results in the natural concentration of wealth and power into the hands of those fortunate enough to have been a fast swimmer at least once in life and their kin.

The popular assemblies were a means by which the masses could organize to support the crown and the church against ambitious nobles who would attempt to decentralize power and rule as masters of their own fief. God, is the magna carta such a loving genius political document or what? Without Roman colonization of the British isles, no magna carta; no magna carta, no America; our species, forever damned to tribal bickering, wars of religion, and transitions between enlightened despotism and Pol Pot-esque raw ambition.

drilldo squirt posted:

I disagree with your statement that north africans can't get along as you have provided no evidence for it.

How many Jews lived in North Africa 100 years ago?

How many Jews still live in North Africa?

North Africa lacked the institution of the catholic church to counterbalance the greed of the petty nobility and middle class, and for it the rest of the world suffers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brainiac Five posted:

France when it was divided into Occitans, Burgundians, Alsatians, Bretons, Provençals: Great continental power.

It was the France that was the most belligerent and internally violent country in Europe.

Sorry the old forms of political conflict don't conform with 21st century models.

E: Also consider, the Habsburg Empire, the great multiethnic project that never worked.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 11, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

My Imaginary GF posted:

North Africa lacked the institution of the catholic church to counterbalance the greed of the petty nobility and middle class, and for it the rest of the world suffers.

This isn't evidence, friend.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

It was the France that was the most belligerent and internally violent country in Europe.

Sorry the old forms of political conflict don't conform with 21st century models.

E: Also consider, the Habsburg Empire, the great multiethnic project that never worked.

Well, see, the problem right here is that Austria-Hungary was run by incest fetishists. It's no wonder their empire failed given that they spent all their time sitting around in cousin-loving orgies and admiring their hosed-up faces in the mirror.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, see, the problem right here is that Austria-Hungary was run by incest fetishists. It's no wonder their empire failed given that they spent all their time sitting around in cousin-loving orgies and admiring their hosed-up faces in the mirror.

So was France.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

drilldo squirt posted:

This isn't evidence, friend.

Unfortunately for you and Ghadafafafi, drilldo, the Hague disagrees.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Brainiac Five posted:

Actually, the empire failed when the Habsburg Monarchy attempted to empower Magyars and Magyar institutions.

The Austrohungarian empire could have survived, had the goddamn British not decided to support the nation-state which funded and provided refuge for terrorists no different in their actions nor fundamental beliefs than Osama Bin Laden.

Serbia did 1914.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

My Imaginary GF posted:

Unfortunately for you and Ghadafafafi, drilldo, the Hague disagrees.

Jewish persecution by the ruler of libya does not mean north african's are inherently predisposed to kill each other without a dictatorship controlling them.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Actually, the empire failed when the Habsburg Monarchy attempted to empower Magyars and Magyar institutions.

The Austrohungarian empire could have survived, had the goddamn British not decided to support the nation-state which funded and provided refuge for terrorists no different in their actions nor fundamental beliefs than Osama Bin Laden.

Serbia did 1914.

I would prefer it if you didn't quote me at this time.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ligur posted:

The Yugos didn't want to hang out with each other. They needed guns to resolve this. Which they did. Much like in the Middle-East or North-Africa.

The Swedish-Finns and Samis in Finland can manage without that.
The difference is that neither of those groups are anywhere near threatening/challenging to the majority. That is generally what causes instability, when no group can effectively be confident in their dominance, instead having to worry about those other guys doing poo poo. Especially when the country does not have a democratic tradition, which usually means the ones on top have been making GBS threads on the rest for decades, and would be rightly worried about the balance getting turned on its head.

Ligur posted:

Case in point, they needed to shatter the nation to find some semblance of piece. Exactly what I meant.
That's an entirely different argument from "they don't want democracy, they need a strong hand to rule them." You could say that, given the history of those places, the choice is either between an anti-democratic leader who holds the country together by force, meaning oppressing at the very least the (political) minorities within the state. Or a democratic revolution and breakup of the state into less diverse states which have political legitimacy in the eyes of their citizens.

Brainiac Five posted:

France when it was divided into Occitans, Burgundians, Alsatians, Bretons, Provençals: Great continental power.

France when it was all French: goes through 11 forms of government in a century.
It was also non-democratic, with all those peasants not really having any reason to care about the language of the king, while the nobles of course got an easy life out of the whole thing by being enforcers for the king. And before they were reduced to that, they did basically blow up France until the king's authority was limited to Paris itself.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

My Imaginary GF posted:

How many Jews lived in the Netherlands 80 years ago?

How many Jews still live there?

Clearly the Dutch are a horrible people who are incapable of getting along with anyone and should be eradicated of the face of the earth, just like the people in North Africa. And lets not even get started about the Germans.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

drilldo squirt posted:

I haven't seen a European on here that doesn't hate gypsies.

you're a piece of poo poo

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

The Real Foogla posted:

I think he's pretty racist against european :shrek:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Charlie Mopps posted:

How many Jews lived in the Netherlands 80 years ago?

How many Jews still live there?

Clearly the Dutch are a horrible people who are incapable of getting along with anyone and should be eradicated of the face of the earth, just like the people in North Africa. And lets not even get started about the Germans.

Hey now, if this thread had to adhere to causality we wouldn't have nearly as much shitposting.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Its almost as if americans dont care about Roma besides using them to call Europeans racist.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Americans believe roma are mythical creatures that live in colourful horse drawn carriages and have magic Powers.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
The vice prime minister of Turkey called the satirical treatment of Erdogan on German tv a "crime against humanity". :lol:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Charlie Mopps posted:

The vice prime minister of Turkey called the satirical treatment of Erdogan on German tv a "crime against humanity". :lol:

It's only humanity if that human is Erdogan :pseudo:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Original source not linked, but, uh... wow:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/719789263563419648

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hollande always had the charisma of a wet paper bag. Did he get elected on the platform of not-Sarkozy or did people ever have a positive opinion of him?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Can't say I'm surprised, his approval rating has been beyond abysmal for years (it went down to 20% back in 2013). This is actually higher than it was before the terrorist attacks in November, if I remember correctly. It was about 16% back then, I think. Most unpopular president since the establishment of the fifth republic.

It's simple, really: he ran for election on the promise of reducing unemployment. We're four years in and unemployment is as high as ever. Unless he pulls a million jobs out of his rear end in the next three months, he's failed horribly.

blowfish posted:

Hollande always had the charisma of a wet paper bag. Did he get elected on the platform of not-Sarkozy or did people ever have a positive opinion of him?

Don't think so. And he destroyed even that when he started proposing policies that are indistinguishable from some of Sarkozy's. Or courting the right to prolong his idiotic state of emergency (the 3 months one, not the one instituted as an immediate response) after the November attacks.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I admit that I'm not exactly reading regular reports of French politics but he does seem to have primarily done gently caress-all in his time in office. Similar to Cameron here in the UK.

This isn't to say the governments they run aren't loving things up royally (see: austerity UK, French labour laws) but both of them just seem to be sitting in their Big Boss Chair with their feet up content that they're in the history books and nothing else need be done.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

My Imaginary GF posted:

That you would state this in an argument comparing North Africa and Europe is beyond insane.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Tesseraction posted:

I admit that I'm not exactly reading regular reports of French politics but he does seem to have primarily done gently caress-all in his time in office. Similar to Cameron here in the UK.

This isn't to say the governments they run aren't loving things up royally (see: austerity UK, French labour laws) but both of them just seem to be sitting in their Big Boss Chair with their feet up content that they're in the history books and nothing else need be done.
Huh? Cameron's fought and won one major referendum that would've changed the status of the country, and is preparing to contest another, he's overseen a major top-down reorganisation of the health service and is planning one of the school system, and he's running a government that's cutting public spending by ~9% of GDP, radically shrinking the state. There are many things you can accuse him of, but quietly sitting back and doing nothing isn't really one of them.

Also, lol: http://openeurope.org.uk/daily-shakeup/tuc-warns-holiday-entitlements-risk-brexit-50-healthcare-workers-argue-leaving-benefit-nhs/

quote:

An Insa poll for Bild puts the centre-left SPD, Chancellor Angela Merkel’s coalition partners, at below 20% for the first time at 19.5% (-0.5). Merkel’s CDU/CSU is on 31.5% (-0.5); the Greens are on 13.5% (+1.0), the AfD on 12.5% (0.5); Die Linke on 9.5%(+0.5) and the FDP remains on 7.5%.
The German grand coalition is on the verge of losing its majority.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Huh? Cameron's fought and won one major referendum that would've changed the status of the country, and is preparing to contest another, he's overseen a major top-down reorganisation of the health service and is planning one of the school system, and he's running a government that's cutting public spending by ~9% of GDP, radically shrinking the state. There are many things you can accuse him of, but quietly sitting back and doing nothing isn't really one of them.

I appreciate the Tories do all blur together but the person in charge of the health service was Lansley, followed by Hunt, schools was Gove, now Morgan, and the spending cuts are by Osbourne. Yes, he is the prime minister in charge of these secretaries but the only thing I recall him personally doing of note under his tenure was passing gay marriage. Everything else he just idly waves his arm at the relevant minister.

The referendum wasn't won by him for all of his smugness about winning, and if he survives this one it won't be because of him. Very few people in Scotland before and in the UK now were/are sitting on the fence about the referendum and look to Cameron for clarification. I agree he can put effort in but he rarely if ever drives policy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also, lol: http://openeurope.org.uk/daily-shakeup/tuc-warns-holiday-entitlements-risk-brexit-50-healthcare-workers-argue-leaving-benefit-nhs/

The German grand coalition is on the verge of losing its majority.

Soon: a grander coalition of the not-AfD

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

The Real Foogla posted:

How so?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Because you're a piece of poo poo :gb2gbs:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm actually curious to how I have offended him so I can avoid doing it again in the future. I'm sorry for this.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm actually curious to how I have offended him so I can avoid doing it again in the future. I'm sorry for this.

Presumably because of the "lol all yurpeans hate gipscis gypsies lol :911:"?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

blowfish posted:

Presumably because of the "lol all yurpeans hate gipscis gypsies lol :911:"?

A lot of europeans hate gypsies, I've heard racism against gypsies is a huge problem there.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I guess it's comparable to how Americans hate black people?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I don't know dude, white americans stopped burning down black towns awhile ago. I mean can europeans really say they stopped burning down gypsy camps? No, because you literally still do according to google.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

But dude, cops still regularly shoot black people over there? Google said so.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I guess we have to agree to disagree.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah uh maybe I'm being presumptuous here, but I don't think us Europeans need to be looking at America for positive lessons regarding peaceful racial and cultural coexistence. Thanks for popping in tho!

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I dunno man i think we can give roma's access to easy gambling licenses, ya know, as a way of reparations. We could have roaming, roving casinos in our lifetime.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Brainiac Five posted:

France when it was all French: goes through 11 forms of government in a century.
Oh great the monarchists finally showed up. Also yeah "great continental" power constantly ravaged by revolts (and sometime religious) wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't know dude, white americans stopped burning down black towns awhile ago. I mean can europeans really say they stopped burning down gypsy camps? No, because you literally still do according to google.

Nah, gypsies are still far better off than black people in America. The worst gypsy slum in Romania has nothing on the post-apocalyptic Detroit ghetto hell scape. Also, we don't shoot gypsies and only get a little rough with them if they step out of line. Lol

:regd08:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)