Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
So Deacons of the Deep is the worst boss fight ever and I hate it.

The first phase gimmick is kinda neat, find the red deacon and kill him wile doging fireballs and managing a mob. Then phase two kicks in.
This game has good AI and it loving knows the best way to keep the main boss alive is to clump up like its the Packers Rush. More fatties get spawned, the mob becomes more aggressive, and healers that can bring the boss back up faster than you can get in.

Is there something I'm missing or am i just not supposed to be fighting this boss as a level 30 mage? I mean you cant even kill the healers because the gimmick is that every last unit respawns. Even if you could there's no way to tell a healer apart from the amalgamous blob of immortal meat.

I was so ready to love this boss. After thirty or so deaths I feel its just a wall telling me to come back later beyond a group of enemies I can deal with easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just got out of the High Wall of Lothric, man this game is pretty and runs smooth as silk.

That thing on the roof though that flies into a giant tantrum..... :stare:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
This game is amazing, the first boss wrecked my poo poo a few times until I figured out his follow ups, then oh god he changed :stare: I lucked out, too, my computer is on the old side (i5 2500 and a GTX660) but I still get a solid 45-50 FPS with SSAO and lighting turned way down, everything else at high. No crashes at bonfires, no stuttering.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Just used a dragon to kill a knight and get me some cool gloves. GOTY

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Man played this game almost all day and got to the Cathedral of the Deep and it's kicking my rear end, especially the worm guys and dual blade guys, it feels like there's this huge slog of crazy tough enemies I need to go through to get to the next bonfire. I wonder if I'm maybe I missed some intermediate areas or something like my first play through of DS 2. Or maybe this area is just a bitch, that's always possible as well.

Edit: Also, anything I should know about Mage build in this one? I've just mostly been focusing on intelligence with a few points in other stats here and there so far.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 12, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just got summoned to the second boss and it bugged out badly. Didn't do any attacks in the second phase

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Sitting at work not playing Dark Souls, so may as well give my trip report:

-No major bugs of note to report. I only played for just over an hour (since the game unlocked at midnight for me) but I didn't see any fps drops or crashes on a gtx 970. Was able to play perfectly at max settings too.
-Rolled Mercenary since I never used curved swords in the older games. Loving the dual-wield two-handed stance the swords give.
-First boss gave me a pretty hard time. I made the classic mistake of keeping my distance from him when the proper way to do it is to get right up in his rear end. After that he was easy.
-Died to Samurai man and called it a night.

Overall a good first impression of the game. Looking forward to wasting the next few months of my life on it.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Everything was all smooth and perfect, then I read about other people having crash issues at bonfires, then I get 10 bonfires in (midway through the Road of Sacrifices), then I crash on lighting that fire, then I start crashing whenever I see that particular fire. Well, poo. I guess I'll play the magical graphics settings boogaloo later...

Weapon report: giant two-handers with monstrous strength requirements seemingly not as good as in previous games (alternatively, I am bad and the game is fast). Kinda regretting sinking all that titanite into my Large Club...

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
Welp. I just moved overseas and my main PC will not be here for another month. Unfortunately this game is the first that I've tried that brings my gaming laptop to it's knees.

Something like this always stops me from jumping in on a DS release, good luck guys see you in a month. :negative:

Jimb fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 12, 2016

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008
Whelp :( I had crippling frame-rate issues (i5 2500, GTX 560 Ti 448 Core) irregardless of graphics options or resolution. Installing an ancient driver from 2013 downgraded those troubles to crippling intermittent stuttering. Guess it's time to wait for a patch :smith:

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

8th-snype posted:

Just used a dragon to kill a knight and get me some cool gloves. GOTY

He helped me kill the mimic and get a nice axe, what a bro.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm not far off having the souls required to buy the key at firelink shrine but I've not beaten the second boss yet. Should I just level up instead?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I completely botched my build and I've spent two hours throwing my carcass into the meat grinder that is Cathedral of the Deep in search of the respec lady. :qq:

Maybe putting down the controller after a literal 12 hour binge and sleeping will let me come at it with a clear mind.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Minrad posted:

I completely botched my build and I've spent two hours throwing my carcass into the meat grinder that is Cathedral of the Deep in search of the respec lady. :qq:

Maybe putting down the controller after a literal 12 hour binge and sleeping will let me come at it with a clear mind.

Surely you haven't botched your build. I'm sure when you come back you'll realize you're fine.

Alternatively:
Git good sucka.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Just died helping someone against a boss, it had one hit left to kill it! I hope they won :unsmith:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

alright now i can actually play the game

Also why would anyone summon mound makers or whatever the gently caress they're called? If you need a person to help you you'd summon a white phantom so I don't see why people wouldn't just immediately turn on the crazy purple ones. It's a great idea in theory, but it seems like it requires both sides to play along.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The second boss is incredibly broken if you co-op it

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I am now a proper Sunbro

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
So for those people who got the game early and are already on NG+++++, is it worth it (and fun) to run a dex build as first run or is 'stack str and ultra greatsword' still king? Disclaimer, I'm not at all interested in pvp.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Thumbtacks posted:

Also why would anyone summon mound makers or whatever the gently caress they're called? If you need a person to help you you'd summon a white phantom so I don't see why people wouldn't just immediately turn on the crazy purple ones. It's a great idea in theory, but it seems like it requires both sides to play along.

Most of my summons as a purple spirit have been people after a duel. Except that one guy who thought I was a friend :unsmigghh:

But seriously, a purple spirit can also kill a red phantom if you know you've been invaded. Moundmakers don't care who they kill. They just want to kill someone

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Thumbtacks posted:

alright now i can actually play the game

They're fun. I don't get anything in particular out of summoning them, but I like the mechanics of it, especially since both summoner and summonee know that mound maker is kinda pointless if you don't try to play along for a while. It's entertaining going through an area with eyes on your back, waiting to see when your ally will turn on you. Meanwhile, as the summonee, you need to maintain a facade of trustworthiness even if both of you know it's gonna end with one of you dead.

It doesn't have like... A purpose. But I find it super enjoyable. And either my game is bugging out with summon signs or a lot of other people agree with me because I always see white/gold summon signs laying around forever while purple ones get snatched up immediately.

Edit: Plus at one point I managed to have 2 purple spirits, a blue cop and an invader in my game at once. Now THAT was a fun clusterfuck, because the only two people who weren't aggro to each other were me and the blue cop, and the only person not aggro to the enemies was the invader. Was a really hectic fight that ended up going all across the map, with a lot of traps and running away.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 12, 2016

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
how do i fix the screen tearing

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Minrad posted:

Yeah taking a break even for a little bit should help. I play like absolute poo poo if I get too sleepy

Intoluene posted:

Most of my summons as a purple spirit have been people after a duel. Except that one guy who thought I was a friend :unsmigghh:

But seriously, a purple spirit can also kill a red phantom if you know you've been invaded. Moundmakers don't care who they kill. They just want to kill someone

Oh that's what those signs are for! I wanted to hit one to find out but they keep disappearing on me. Gonna have to join them and rep the Row

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 12, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Traxis posted:

I am now a proper Sunbro

You need the helmet, the pants, the gloves, the shield, the sword, and the talisman to have the whole set.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Malcolm XML posted:

how do i fix the screen tearing

Enable vsync in nvidia/amd control panel

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Plankalkuel posted:

Whelp :( I had crippling frame-rate issues (i5 2500, GTX 560 Ti 448 Core) irregardless of graphics options or resolution. Installing an ancient driver from 2013 downgraded those troubles to crippling intermittent stuttering. Guess it's time to wait for a patch :smith:

I've got the same CPU and GPU as you, and I'm kind of shocked at how poorly it runs. Although, that GPU is 5 years old now. Maybe it's time to upgrade; a 960 GTX is only like $200.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So how early do you need the tower key?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

You need the helmet, the pants, the gloves, the shield, the sword, and the talisman to have the whole set.

On that note, the "Greatsword" in this game is tiny, and doesn't do Tarkus justice, and the Fume GS is WAY too loving big, so I need to find a sword that's exactly (or as close as I can get it) the same shape as the dark souls GS. That'll be hard.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Enable vsync in nvidia/amd control panel

Aaaahhh

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

9 hours is probably going to end up being on the shorter side of my sessions with this game but hot drat if it's not much harder than Dark Souls 1. The roll is almost 100% i-frames on everything but big projectiles and the bosses are great so far. (Curse-Rotted Greatwood was the last one I fought and that was a couple hours ago) I think I need to take on Tiny-but-faster Voldt in order to continue but it's loving my poo poo up constantly. I'll try again when I wake up with some charcoal resin.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Infinity Gaia posted:

Edit: Plus at one point I managed to have 2 purple spirits, a blue cop and an invader in my game at once. Now THAT was a fun clusterfuck, because the only two people who weren't aggro to each other were me and the blue cop, and the only person not aggro to the enemies was the invader. Was a really hectic fight that ended up going all across the map, with a lot of traps and running away.

I was in a clusterfuck as a purple spirit with a dark spirit, white phantom and blue cop. I killed the host because he only had eyes for me.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Sleekly posted:

I just got the symbol of avarice from the very first mimic I found!

:swoon:

So did I. I've never gotten that lucky before.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

On that note, the "Greatsword" in this game is tiny, and doesn't do Tarkus justice, and the Fume GS is WAY too loving big, so I need to find a sword that's exactly (or as close as I can get it) the same shape as the dark souls GS. That'll be hard.

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Ultra%20Greatswords

I feel like the Lothric Knight Greatsword would probably fit the bill?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Before heading to work, I got to the old lady that gives me a banner and a badge for the way of the blue or whatever it is. Thing is that I don't know how to use it to call for help if I get invaded. Also, there are lots of locked doors in the High Wall (first zone after firelink) and I've aready seen people with the claymore and fancy stuff when co-oping the first boss..

Where the hell do I get the soapstone to drop signs? I just killed the 2nd boss, the boreal dude and I'm about to go plant the banner and go the next zone but still couldn't find the soapstone.

I'm using right now the battleaxe as I started as warrior but I put some points on dex so I could use the longsword. Loving the poo poo out of the game and this feel of not knowing where to go and keeping myself away from spoilers gave me that feeling again. Thank god I didn't watch a single speedrun.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Guillermus posted:

Where the hell do I get the soapstone to drop signs? I just killed the 2nd boss, the boreal dude and I'm about to go plant the banner and go the next zone but still couldn't find the soapstone.

The old lady merchant at Firelink.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i invade someone who has 3 phantoms and a bluecop shows up as well.

sick 1v5 action at soul level 14 :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

The old lady merchant at Firelink.

drat thanks. It's really overwhelming this game compared to 1 or 2 since it is heavy detailed like Bloodborne wich sadly I couldn't play as I don't own a PS4. Do you need to "use" illusory walls or just hit/roll like in DS1?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where do I get cracked red eye orbs? Also I had the most amazing fight tonight, there was a Sentinel, two purple dudes and we just fought all over the loving map and it was amazing. I lost but it was still fun omg.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

UPS is trollin'. I woke up to a "Your Delivery Date Has Changed" email thinking fuuuuck!!! Only to open it to see my delivery window bumped later an hour. Whatever, can't really play until 5 anyway. I'm still just stoked Best Buy managed a release day delivery considering the horror stories I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Guillermus posted:

drat thanks. It's really overwhelming this game compared to 1 or 2 since it is heavy detailed like Bloodborne wich sadly I couldn't play as I don't own a PS4. Do you need to "use" illusory walls or just hit/roll like in DS1?

Hit.