Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Being mad about "gaming fads" is stupid for the same reason being mad about a game being "overrated" is stupid: you're just creating in your mind an imaginary group of people who all like the thing you don't like, then getting mad about it. You're not even angry about a real thing, just about statistics you made up in your head.

I don't like posts about other peoples posts.

:colbert:

Joking aside, yeah I don't get the whole "omg this game is so popular wtf?!", like you can dislike a game and still be happy other people enjoy it. They're not mutually exclusive.

Except anime dating sim games, nobody should be allowed to play those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I would personally appreciate it if Dark Souls 3 chat is kept to a minimum for a little while. I think there's a certain intangible quality to experiencing those games for the first time with as little information as possible, and there are dedicated threads for people who are playing it or don't mind being spoiled. Since pretty much everyone's opinion is already made up as to whether or not they are going to get the game, it would mean a lot to me if there wasn't a lot of "oh man, so-and-so area is so cool" or "great to see this character return" not-spoilers.

That's just one goon's request. I hope everyone is having a fine day and isn't plagued with a mysterious rheumy cough like yours truly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FactsAreUseless posted:

And? Be happy for your friends that they're excited about something they like. What is this, middle school?

I know how dedicated you are to calling every opinion I have stupid but it'd be nice if you just admitted I was right sometimes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the actual problem is you keep having horrible opinions.

Anyways, BB has not yet sent me an e-mail confirming that DSIII will be ready for me to pick up today and I'm starting to get nervous :ohdear:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I can't believe my friends like something

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

I think the actual problem is you keep having horrible opinions.

Pretty sure "I don't like a game series and wish it wasn't the most popular thing in the universe and seemingly the driving creative influence for the majority of up and coming developers" is a perfectly reasonable opinion. But whatever. I'm used to being treated like a pinata.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

No Such Thing posted:

enjoyment is just a fad and i can't wait for it to go away.
But art doesn't have to be enjoyable and furthermore

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

"I don't like a game series and wish it wasn't the most popular thing in the universe and seemingly the driving creative influence for the majority of up and coming developers"

That's not quite the same as you saying "Literally all my friends love Dark Souls and never shut up about Dark Souls." earlier.
If you want to talk about another game just talk about another game.

What are you planning to play this week? Are you close to finishing any games soon?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Pretty sure "I don't like a game series and wish it wasn't the most popular thing in the universe and seemingly the driving creative influence for the majority of up and coming developers" is a perfectly reasonable opinion. But whatever. I'm used to being treated like a pinata.

:rolleyes:

So you expressed that you wished a much beloved game series would go away attributing it's popularity to being a fad and now you seem shocked that a forum full the target demographic for that series does not welcome this opinion with open arms. Like, fine, yeah you don't have to like the series but what did you expect to happen when you posted your original post which just seemed like passive aggressive whining that the games thread was talking about a game that just came out that you don't care about?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

That's not quite the same as you saying "Literally all my friends love Dark Souls and never shut up about Dark Souls." earlier.
If you want to talk about another game just talk about another game.

What are you planning to play this week? Are you close to finishing any games soon?

I beat Shadowgate yesterday as homework for an upcoming game jam. I tried going old school, and after finding the original mac version too.... mac-y, I played through the NES version, which has luxuries like music and an interface that functions. It actually holds up pretty well! Despite the game having a ton of really dumb "gotcha" traps and some Sierra puzzle logic, it's chock full of content in a way that draws you in despite the simplicity of the story. Framing a point and click adventure as a donjon delve and having elements like the pressure of torches going out and the risk of death makes things pretty exciting. It's a classic for a reason.

axleblaze posted:

:rolleyes:

So you expressed that you wished a much beloved game series would go away attributing it's popularity to being a fad and now you seem shocked that a forum full the target demographic for that series does not welcome this opinion with open arms. Like, fine, yeah you don't have to like the series but what did you expect to happen when you posted your original post which just seemed like passive aggressive whining that the games thread was talking about a game that just came out that you don't care about?

meh-meh meh meh meh me sarcasm me me forensic examination of benign statement as if this were debate club, rolleyes.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I never played Shadowgate, was the Steam version any use?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

I never played Shadowgate, was the Steam version any use?

I didn't play that one! It looks pretty neat but I was afraid the modern touch might obscure what I was trying to glean from the experience. I did buy the mac version on Steam, and it runs fine as an emulation of a very dated game.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Would dark souls 3 be a good first dark souls to play?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ahundredbux posted:

It's probably a little too early for anyone here to actually be able to answer this.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

Yes. Ignore the above poster and go play it.

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't play that one! It looks pretty neat but I was afraid the modern touch might obscure what I was trying to glean from the experience. I did buy the mac version on Steam, and it runs fine as an emulation of a very dated game.

Actually is it a decent game to try on the go? If it's on NES i have some options to play it at work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

Actually is it a decent game to try on the go? If it's on NES i have some options to play it at work.

Should be. You can save anytime and your inventory is easy to scroll through, and the NES version has a generous enough continue system. I suggest having a guide handy for some of the more completely impossible to deduce puzzles. I don't like to cheat, but sometimes it's just impossible to know you're meant to use a sugar lump on a statue of a demon or whatever, and there are way too many moving parts in Shadowgate to try and brute force it like a Lucasarts game. Not to mention wrong answers may well kill you.

The start button sometimes gives hints!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

I think they're all a solid first choice. Each one has different strengths and weaknesses. I haven't played DS3 yet, but DS1 is easy to pick up and play. Demon's Souls and DS2 are a little less straightforward, they don't make it as clear how things work, especially early.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Should be. You can save anytime and your inventory is easy to scroll through, and the NES version has a generous enough continue system. I suggest having a guide handy for some of the more completely impossible to deduce puzzles. I don't like to cheat, but sometimes it's just impossible to know you're meant to use a sugar lump on a statue of a demon or whatever, and there are way too many moving parts in Shadowgate to try and brute force it like a Lucasarts game. Not to mention wrong answers may well kill you.

The start button sometimes gives hints!

Cool! I'll either play it at work/on the bus or hotseat it at home.

I think it's fine to use a guide sometimes for adventure games, I know for some parts of Grim Fandango we had to crack open a guide.

E: In other news I saw a game pitch from SquareEnix's Collective thing
http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/220/moonlighter#pitch

You run a item shop and also go dungeoneering for items to sell. Looks interesting but I actually wonder if it's just worth it to pick up Recettear even though the anime-ness repels me.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 12, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The problem is that it's not true. It's a perception that exists in your head. Here's a 2016 release calendar that seems pretty thorough: http://www.vg247.com/2016/03/14/video-game-release-dates-2016/

Here are the games that have released so far this year:

quote:

Amplitude (PS4) – January 5
Hardware: Rivals (PS4) – January 5
Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: India (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – January 12
The Banner Saga (PS4, Xbox One) – January 12
Gone Home (PS4, Xbox One) – January 12 (only release in the US – the European version has been delayed)
Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster, and Resident Evil Origins Collection (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One – January 19
Darkest Dungeon (PC, PS4) – January 19 - Maybe Souls influenced. As a dungeon-crawl fantasy roguelike, definitely shares some elements.
The Deadly Tower of Monsters (PC) – January 19
A Boy and His Blob (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – January 19
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak (PC) – January 20
Mario and Luigi Paper Jam (3DS) – January 22
The Witness (PC, PS4) – January 26
Lego Marvel’s Avengers (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One) – January 26
Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS) – January 26
Slain (PC) – January 27 - Not finding a ton of info. Looks Castlevania/Ghosts 'n' Goblins-ish?
Torment: Tides of Numenera beta Steam Early Access (PC) – January 26
Sιbastien Loeb Rally Evo (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – January 29
Bombshell (PC) – January 29
This War of Mine: The Little Ones (PS4, Xbox One) – January 29
Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC) – January 28

Cobalt (PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360) – February 2
Not a Hero (PS4) – February 2
Crypt of the Necro Dancer (PS4, Vita) – February 2
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – February 5
XCOM 2 (PC) – February 5
Dying Light: The Following Expansion & Enhanced Edition (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – February 9
Firewatch (PC, PS4) – February 9
Arslan The Warriors of Legend (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – February 9
Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: Russia & trilogy pack (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – February 9
Unravel (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – February 9
Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4) – February 9
Earth Defense Force 4.1 The Shadow of New Despair (PS4) – February 12
The Ship: Remasted (PC) – February 15
Street Fighter 5 (PC, PS4) – February 16
Layers of Fear (PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360) – February 16
The Escapists: The Walking Dead (PS4) – February 16
Tron Run/r (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – February 16
Rainbow Moon (PS4) – February 16
Pillars of Eternity: The White March expansion – Part 2 (PC) – February 16
Rocket League (Xbox One) – February 17
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PC) – February 18
Fire Emblem: Fates (3DS) – February 19
Far Cry Primal (PS4, Xbox One) – February 23
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – February 23
The Walking Dead: Michonne (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One) – February 23
Hitman Go: Definitive Edition (PC, PS4, PS Vita) – February 23
Disgaea (PC) – February 24
The Flame in the Flood (PC, Xbox One) – February 24
Superhot (PC) – February 25
Bravely Second: End Layer (3DS) – February 26 (EU)
Soul Axiom (PC) – February 29

Far Cry Primal (PC) – March 1
Mortal Kombat XL (PS4, Xbox One) – March 1
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (PC) – March 1
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U) – March 4
The Division (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 8
Kholat (PS4) – March 8
The Guest (PC) – March 10
Deathsmiles (PC) – March 10
Hitman – Episode 1 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 11
Samurai Warriors 4 Empires (PS4) – March 11
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (PC, Xbox One) – March 11
WWE 2K16 (PC) – March 11
EA Sports UFC 2 (PS4, Xbox One) – March 15
Salt and Sanctuary (PS4, Vita) – March 15 - Clearly influenced by the Souls games
Need for Speed (PC) – March 15
Pokken Tournament (Wii U) – March 18
Paragon (PC Early Access) – March 18
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (3DS) – March 18
Fallout 4: Automatron DLC – (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 22
Republique (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 22
Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PC, PS4, PSVita) – March 22
Samorost 3 (PC) – March 24
Trackmania Turbo (PS4) – March 25
Adrift (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 28
MLB The Show 16 (PS3, PS4) – March 29
Killer Instinct: Season 3 (Xbox One, Windows 10) – March 29
Resident Evil 6 re-release (PS4, Xbox One) – March 29
Minecraft: Story Mode – Episode 5 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One) – March 29
Hyrule Warriors Legends (3DS) – March 25
The Descendant – Episode 1 (PC) – March 25
Nights of Azure (PS4) – March 29
MXGP 2 The Official Motocross Videogame (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 31
Hyper Light Drifter (PC) – March 31 - Seems to have some Souls influence. I'd count this one.
Quantum Break (Xbox One) – April 5
Enter the Gungeon (PC, PS4) – April 5
Dirt Rally (PS4, Xbox One) – April 5
Dark Souls 3 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – April 12
Destiny Spring Update (PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One) – April 12
Ratchet & Clank (PS4) – April 12
Fallout 4: Wasteland Workshop DLC – (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – April 12
I've marked the ones that I'm aware have Dark Souls influence. Even if I missed a few more, that's not a huge list. We're talking less than five in that list.

You know what there are a ton of in the indie game section? Side-scrolling platformers, top-down shooters, and side-scrolling platformer shooters. Guess we should wait until that Mario, Robotron, Metal Slug fad goes away.

Edit: I'm not going to list them all, but the upcoming releases don't look much different.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Hyper Light Drifter I wouldn't call a Souls-like.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

I haven't played it, I just heard some comparisons. Guess that's one less then.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Golden Goat posted:

I think the similarities people see is how obscured some game mechanics and story elements are

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like when games solve problems I wasn't aware even existed. In BoI it did always suck to have to walk back through the empty dungeon to get to where you actually need to go but I never thought about. Enter the Gungeon just lets you teleport to most of the rooms you've already cleared. Like I never would have even thought of that as a thing that needed to be fixed but it's really nice to have it fixed.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah obscure game mechanics and Story elements are not a Souls only thing.

Twenty bets somebody said "Hyper Light Drifter is the Dark Souls of indie games"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People say that about anything even if the only similarity is 'a bit hard'.
Or especially.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah obscure game mechanics and Story elements are not a Souls only thing.

Twenty bets somebody said "Hyper Light Drifter is the Dark Souls of indie games"

hmm game is difficult and the story isn't spelled out... must be a souls game!!

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Finally someone is brave enough to stand up and say "I don't like this thing that a bunch of other people like"

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
It doesnt matter what people call it, hyper light drifter is pretty good and cool

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ahundredbux posted:

It doesnt matter what people call it, hyper light drifter is pretty good and cool

I wish I hadn't selected the console version from the kickstarter :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The bit at the end of Face/Off where Nic Cage is like 'Diiiiiieeeeeee' only instead of John Travolta it's my work day

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Obscure gameplay mechanics and story?

Super Monkey Daibouken was the first Souls game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Obscure gameplay mechanics and story?

Super Monkey Daibouken was the first Souls game.
Or [list of every NES game].

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I get more of a metroid feeling playing hyper light drifter but that's mostly from the atmosphere tbh

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ahundredbux posted:

I get more of a metroid feeling playing hyper light drifter but that's mostly from the atmosphere tbh

It's a dang ol' Zelda game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Manky posted:

It's a dang ol' Zelda game
\

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
If someone would put Hank Hill's face on there, I'd change my av

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I don't remember having space aids in zelda!!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Soulslike is the new roguelike.

Also, zeldroidvania is a real term some people use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Undertale is the Chulip of Dark Souls.

Amazon sez my copy of DS3 will be here a day earlier than expected, and I found a decent pinball hall within walking distance of the auto shop I need to drop my car off later this week. Plus I got Friday off to play video games and eat steak without interruption or judgement. Looks like everything's coming up MilhouseLawfulWaffle.

• Locked thread