Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bartlebyshop posted:

That's New Yorker house style to make it clear that the second vowel is pronounced (that the pair don't form a diphthong). I've seen them write "connexion" as well.

Isn't that an affectation of Tolkien's created languages as well? I've never seen it elsewhere, and while it's not without value, it's still a little strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PT6A posted:

Isn't that an affectation of Tolkien's created languages as well? I've never seen it elsewhere, and while it's not without value, it's still a little strange.

Umlauts are an archaic device you see a lot in 19th century and early 20th century writing, mostly British.

coöperate or co-operate
coördinate or co-ordinate
coöpt or co-opt
zoölogy or zo-ology

The diaeresis has been dropped gradually, on the assumption the reader knows how it's supposed to be pronounced.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 12, 2016

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Umlauts are an archaic device you see a lot in 19th century and early 20th century writing, mostly British.

coöperate or co-operate
coöpt or co-opt
zoölogy or zo-ology

The diaeresis has been dropped gradually, on the assumption the reader knows how it's supposed to be pronounced.

Perhaps the New Yorker's readership is mostly comprised of 19th century robber barons and imperialist diplomats?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deteriorata posted:

coöperate or co-operate
coöpt or co-opt
zoölogy or zo-ology

Mitä vittua sää sönkötät

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Edit: Disregard, forgot which forum this was.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

bartlebyshop posted:

That's New Yorker house style to make it clear that the second vowel is pronounced (that the pair don't form a diphthong). I've seen them write "connexion" as well.

PT6A posted:

Yeah I've never noticed that before, it's weird. The article was exactly as depressing as I had guessed, but still managed to summon more anger than I'd expected.

What did Assad Sr. say to his son to galvanize him into such a loathsome piece of poo poo? Do you think Bashar realizes that had he just made concessions this all could have likely been avoided? gently caress, what a monster. I worry terribly that he'll die of old age.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

quote:

Suhail’s assistants told Hamada that if he admitted to carrying weapons he would be released. He didn’t confess, so they cracked four of his ribs. At that point, he agreed that he had been armed with a hunting rifle, and they let him down. But, to better suit terrorism charges, Suhail wanted the confession to include a Kalashnikov. Hamada refused, so, he said, “they stripped me out of my underwear and brought a plumbing clamp,” of the kind typically used to moderate pressure in hoses. “They put it on my penis, and started tightening it.” Hamada recalled Suhail asking, “Are you going to admit it, or shall I cut it off?” Hamada agreed that he had carried a Kalashnikov, so Suhail released the clamp and asked how many clips of ammunition Hamada had carried. “How many clips do you want me to have?” Hamada asked. Suhail reminded him that he had to confess on his own, so Hamada said, “I had five bullets.” That wasn’t good enough, Suhail told him: “I need two magazines.” The torture escalated until Hamada confessed to everything they asked.
Which Tarantino movie was this?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

What did Assad Sr. say to his son to galvanize him into such a loathsome piece of poo poo? Do you think Bashar realizes that had he just made concessions this all could have likely been avoided? gently caress, what a monster. I worry terribly that he'll die of old age.

I always wonder how Bashar's brother would have handled this whole thing. He was probably a really lovely person as well, but maybe he would have been smarter about this.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Late, but I'll still never stop getting a chuckle out of envisioning Mahmoud Sheikh al-Zour wearily patiently nodding as Caro goes on a schizoid rant about creating air vortexes over Syria using "some mathematical stuff"
Wonder what he was thinking. "poo poo, from Tice to this????"

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The whole "Middle Eastern forces are incompetent" is mostly based on a small sample size of forces that are meant to be pretty useless at doing things other than shooting protesters.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

KaptainKrunk posted:

The whole "Middle Eastern forces are incompetent" is mostly based on a small sample size of forces that are meant to be pretty useless at doing things other than shooting protesters.

That and the Yom Kippur war.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

That and the Yom Kippur war.

And 1948, 1967, the Libyan/Chad conflict, Egypt's intervention in Yemen and their border scuffles with Libya, the short Syrian invasion of Jordan, all the various Iraqi rebellions, Iran-Iraq War, and the performance of the Arab coaliton in the Gulf War...

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Vietnam, Barbarossa, Gallipoli, Arnhem, the Somme, Emu War, Boer War, Algerian War, Italy, Italy again, still Italy...

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
WW1 in general imo

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

It might just be that - despite the militarism often attached to them - authoritarian states just aren't great at creating professional militaries. Any time adherence to a religion, political ideology or personality cult becomes a higher priority than doing the most pragmatic thing, bad decisions get made from top to bottom.

Also, keep in mind that there have been many western military boondoggles, despite often having the advantage of stable, unified societies, decades (if not centuries) of uninterrupted military tradition and considerably more financial, technical and material resources.

Furthermore, giving a country a developed military infrastructure is a hell of a lot more complicated and time-consuming than giving them flashy new hardware. Logistics, Communications, NCO training (and initiative), cross-training, doctrines, infrastructure, etc are so much more important than having new rifles and tanks.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

It might just be that - despite the militarism often attached to them - authoritarian states just aren't great at creating professional militaries. Any time adherence to a religion, political ideology or personality cult becomes a higher priority than doing the most pragmatic thing, bad decisions get made from top to bottom.

Are there any examples of authoritarian states that have relied on a professional military? In modern times, it seems like all-volunteer professional militaries are limited to ostensibly liberal democratic societies like the US, UK, France and other such states. Are there any examples to the contrary?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 12, 2016

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
It's a fine balancing act between having a strong military to fight for you and a military too fractured or loyal to coup.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I'd assume corruption more often than not is endemic to totalitarian regimes and that corruption is not useful if you want solid state institutions. If generals are appointed based on loyalty rather than competence the necessary reforms will probably not be implemented because that's work and just showing off shiny parades to your buddies is less work.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kopijeger posted:

Are there any examples of authoritarian states that have relied on a professional military? In mordern times, it seems like all-volunteer professional militaries are limited to ostensibly liberal democratic societies like the US, UK, France and other such states. Are there any examples to the contrary?

I assume you mean aside from the Soviets?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

There's also the theory that states with no legitimacy but force are in perpetual danger of coups and will choose officers accordingly.

Hezbollah, ISIS, Kurds, even Iran are more competent than the arab dictatorships because their government's paramount concerns aren't a combination of 'who won't betray me' and 'who do I owe a favour to?', and maybe the rank and file soldiers are there for something more than picking up a cheque.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I assume you mean aside from the Soviets?

When did the Soviets have a professional military?

Wikipedia posted:

Throughout the Cold War (1945–91), Western intelligence estimates calculated that the Soviet strength remained ca. 2.8 million to ca. 5.3 million men. To maintain said strength range, Soviet law minimally required a three-year military service obligation from every able man of military age, until 1967, when the Ground Forces reduced it to a two-year draft obligation.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kopijeger posted:

Are there any examples of authoritarian states that have relied on a professional military? In modern times, it seems like all-volunteer professional militaries are limited to ostensibly liberal democratic societies like the US, UK, France and other such states. Are there any examples to the contrary?

This is a good point. Without a strong commitment to democratic rule, strong militaries will just stage a coup and take over. Megalomanic dictators tend to survive by having weak armies and strong secret police, or strong armies that they lavish so much money and attention on that the army doesn't see any advantage in taking over.

Pakistan and Turkey are two countries with long histories of military take-overs whenever the civilian government gets too corrupt or ineffective. North Korea is one that maintains a decent military by funneling most of the national wealth to it.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
A Russian Helicopter went down in Homs. Both pilots are dead.

http://www.interfax.ru/world/503263

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Is "too corrupt or ineffective" code for "not having the same priorities as the military commanders"? Because the armed forces in Turkey and Pakistan are most definitely not knocking over the civilian government for the good of the people.

And calling the North Korean military decent is quite charitable. Two top NK officers just defected to the South. Things in the North aren't going so well if even the favored class are bailing.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Peel posted:

There's also the theory that states with no legitimacy but force are in perpetual danger of coups and will choose officers accordingly.

Hezbollah, ISIS, Kurds, even Iran are more competent than the arab dictatorships because their government's paramount concerns aren't a combination of 'who won't betray me' and 'who do I owe a favour to?', and maybe the rank and file soldiers are there for something more than picking up a cheque.

Why don't monarchies have decent milltaries then? They do have legitimacy (in a different form to democracic governments, but they have it) but SA military is undeniably poo poo (see: Yemen)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It's been posted here before, but this career army officer's piece "Why Arabs Lose Wars" is a good read, if not a little dated by this point. He cites information hoarding, paranoia about coups, and internal tensions in autocracies as reasons why Arab militaries tend to be ineffective forces. I'd like to see an update that accounts for why some Arab unconventional forces are among the best in the world though (thinking of Hizballah.)

http://www.meforum.org/441/why-arabs-lose-wars

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

suboptimal posted:

It's been posted here before, but this career army officer's piece "Why Arabs Lose Wars" is a good read, if not a little dated by this point. He cites information hoarding, paranoia about coups, and internal tensions in autocracies as reasons why Arab militaries tend to be ineffective forces. I'd like to see an update that accounts for why some Arab unconventional forces are among the best in the world though (thinking of Hizballah.)

Yeah, I mean, "20th century Arab state armed forces didn't historically perform too well" is not at all controversial and is actually the majority opinion among professional military analysts, at least in the West, although there is a small body of revisionism that has focused mostly on the Iran-Iraq War and on Egypt's performance in the Sinai. That said, this is a much different take than that weird racist diatribe posted a page or two earlier, so probably best to ignore that. The Middle East definitely has some excellent non-state combatants, and in addition to Hezbollah I would start adding some of the rebel groups in northern Syria. Widely mocked for their disorganization over the past few years, I'd say that any non-state actors capable of seizing Idlib or halting the IRGC before reaching the M5 highway are legitimately good by unconventional standards.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Dug up an old atlas of the 1920 census and took some pictures. Lemme know if you want any specific countries.

Funnily enough of all the countries depicted current Somalia hews closest to this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Is "too corrupt or ineffective" code for "not having the same priorities as the military commanders"? Because the armed forces in Turkey and Pakistan are most definitely not knocking over the civilian government for the good of the people.

Iunno, looking at Erdogan maybe they had the right idea. :v:

Free Gulen with purchase of Gulen of equal or lesser value

Edit: SA might just be a funny special case, possibly as a result of the government in general's tendency to farm out professionalism to foreigners, the Jordanian military is... decent.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 12, 2016

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0X90D1

Strap yourselves in:

quote:

KABUL (Reuters) - The Taliban announced the start of their spring offensive on Tuesday, pledging to launch large-scale offensives against government strongholds backed by suicide and guerrilla attacks to drive Afghanistan's Western-backed government from power.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

BlackJosh posted:

lol holy poo poo. They're people not dogs. There is nothing intrinsic to "The Arab" that makes any of this so you big racist dummy.

The article deals with arab military culture and the inherent problems in it; it's obviously not a race thing but it runs alot deeper than you might think.

Valley Troll
Jun 19, 2012

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

The article deals with arab military culture and the inherent problems in it; it's obviously not a race thing but it runs alot deeper than you might think.

This claim - that "Arab" militaries are deficient due to deficiencies inherent to "Arab" culture - has been around for a long time and several people have made careers in academia researching and building on this claim. Kenneth Pollack is probably the person most widely associated with it. Although he wasn't the first person to make this or related claims hinging on the inherent inferiority of Arab culture, he spelled it out very clearly in his PhD dissertation. Needless to say, there are a ton of undefended (and indefensible) assertions and assumptions in the linked article, e.g., that Arab armies of the conquest can be considered as part of the same cultural unit as modern Arab militaries; that the Egyptian army struggling to defeat guerrillas in Yemen proves the inferiority of "Arab" culture (as it applies to the military), but the failure of Israel to defeat Hezbollah over several decades doesn't prove the inferiority of "western" culture, etc.

Somebody in r/askhistorians took this apart pretty well:

quote:

I'd like to take this question and break it down a bit, because I think as it's currently framed it won't be particularly useful.

I'd like to disconnect the question of fighting effectiveness of "Arab armies" between two such diverse time periods. A lot has happened in the past thousand years. Enough to make this kind of comparison a bit of a non-sequitur. It's like asking why the Italian army under Mussolini was so mediocre when the Roman legions under the Caesars conquered the known world. Other than a general geographical proximity they just don't have very much to do with one another.

As such what I'd like to do is A: discuss this article. What are it's good points, and I think more particularly what are its bad ones. B: discuss, as a separate question, "Arab" armies in the Middle Ages.

A: As an overall summary I think the article in question is more misleading than illuminating.
"...regulars did poorly against...irregulars in the 1960's"..."could only impose their will...by use of overwhelming force" "showed ineptness against a military ripped apart by revolutionary turmoil" "could not win a three decades long war against [an ethnic insurgency]".

These and other examples are used by the author as evidence of ineffectiveness of Arab-speaking armies in the modern era. They are used as examples to contrast with "effective" non-Arab armies.

But are these examples really persuasive? The authors primary point of contrast for an "effective" military is the US army in the 20th century and secondarily the Israelis.

But didn't the US army do poorly against Vietnamese irregulars in the 1960s? Weren't they only able to impose their will in the first Iraq war by the use of overwhelming force? Did they not show ineptness in 1950 against a Chinese army torn apart by revolutionary turmoil? Haven't the Israelis failed to defeat a six decade Palestinian insurgency of sorts? (Note especially that the solution in Iraqi Kurdistan was similar, the creation of a semi-independent unoccupied region.)

The author accuses Arabic-speaking armies of ineffectiveness based on failure to win wars, and then never applies that standard again to what he defines as "effective" militaries.

Even the Israelis, despite their "effective" victories in '48, '67 and (arguably) '73 got bogged down in their occupation south Lebanon which I think could be classified as a bit of a debacle.

I don't want to simply rebut the author by appealing to "tu quoque" but when the evidence provided is so scant, anecdotal and based on general perception or stereotype it's hard not to. When he writes that Egyptian draftees "hate military service for good reason and will do almost anything, including self-mutilation, to avoid it" he provides no statistics to back up his claim. Barring those statistics, why not point to the unpopularity of the US draft, which, likewise, led many young men to do anything, including self-mutilation, to avoid it?

While we're on the subject of definitional problems, what exactly binds the "Arabic-speaking armies" as a cultural group? The author doesn't explain what bearing the culture of Egypt has on the culture of Lebanon or the UAE, and why these should be compared.

Finally he doesn't address what I think is the most important issue here. I have no doubt that many of his observations ring true. I have not studied the Egyptian NCO corps but it would not surprise me that there is a caste-like distinction between the officers and the enlisted in the Egyptian military.

I think what's particularly problematic to me is the way that "Arab culture" writ large is used in broad strokes in a way that ignores historical political realities. The author alludes to the fact that, historically, the Jordanian military has arguably performed better than that of its neighbours and allies, particularly in the wars against Israel in '48 and '67.

Regardless of your thoughts on the author's opinions about the cultures he's describing that presents a choice, and you must pick one. Either A: Jordanian "Arabic" culture is different in a way that renders the entire piece moot. B: There are substantial non-cultural issues at play. I would argue that it's both.

I personally would focus on 1: the political systems in place in each country. The Egyptian army does not fulfill the same societal role as the American army or the Israeli army. The Egyptian state under Nasser and Sadat was not a stable western-liberal democracy. 2. Context! From this article would you know that Egypt fought the '67 war while half of its armed forces were deployed in Yemen? Isn't that important for evaluating their military performance in each conflict? 3. Seriously man, get some drat statistics! If the Arab education system is a failure because it relies on rote memorization, I wonder what the author would make of the East Asian education system, which often faces the same accusation. Surely in a discussion of Egyptian education its worth mentioning that a huge percentage of the population is illiterate?

etc. etc. Basically my conclusion is that while the author pays lip service to the controversies surrounding talk of "culture" and "civilization" he then dives right in without actually bothering with anything other than anecdote to support his argument, and as I believe I've explained even some of those anecdotes seem deceitful or lacking in context.

edit: hanging sentence.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3n9nng/why_were_modern_arab_army_generally_incompetent/cvm7l7b

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Maybe it's more accurate to state that Arab state militaries are dysfunctional at the organisational and tactical level. While Western powers in the middle east have been lacking a proper strategy. Which is arguably worse as "tactical excellence covering up strategic failure" is something I saw mentioned in some threads, either this one or GIP or the cold war thread.

If you lose a few battles you might adapt, if you win every battle with out a overall strategy, you just might keep on trucking straight into defeat.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Good report on the Small Arms Survey report on Libya arms sales on Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py6QrAT0E-A

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Valley Troll posted:

This claim - that "Arab" militaries are deficient due to deficiencies inherent to "Arab" culture - has been around for a long time and several people have made careers in academia researching and building on this claim. Kenneth Pollack is probably the person most widely associated with it. Although he wasn't the first person to make this or related claims hinging on the inherent inferiority of Arab culture, he spelled it out very clearly in his PhD dissertation. Needless to say, there are a ton of undefended (and indefensible) assertions and assumptions in the linked article, e.g., that Arab armies of the conquest can be considered as part of the same cultural unit as modern Arab militaries; that the Egyptian army struggling to defeat guerrillas in Yemen proves the inferiority of "Arab" culture (as it applies to the military), but the failure of Israel to defeat Hezbollah over several decades doesn't prove the inferiority of "western" culture, etc.

Somebody in r/askhistorians took this apart pretty well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3n9nng/why_were_modern_arab_army_generally_incompetent/cvm7l7b

Israel is not a Western country.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Iranian counter-offensive around al-Eis on the South Aleppo front seems to have not gone all that well.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Radio Prune posted:

Iranian counter-offensive around al-Eis on the South Aleppo front seems to have not gone all that well.
Yep, also lots of videos on r/ Syrian Civil War from that area tagged as :nws:/NSFL/given disturbing descriptions; all of the above means I'm not going to touch those links with a 10 foot pole.

Suffice it to say al-Eis is very bloody on both sides right now.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Iran seems to be stepping up its involvement in Syria. Not only is the IRGC itself deployed, along with its foreign legions of Shia jihadists (Hezbollah, Asa'ib Ahl al-Haq, Kata'ib Hezbollah, Harakat Hezbollah al-Nujaba, Badr, Liwa Fatemiyoun, Liwa Zaynbiyoun etc.), but now units from the Artesh are being deployed and suffering combat deaths.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

fade5 posted:

Yep, also lots of videos on r/ Syrian Civil War from that area tagged as :nws:/NSFL/given disturbing descriptions; all of the above means I'm not going to touch those links with a 10 foot pole.

Suffice it to say al-Eis is very bloody on both sides right now.

In one of those videos there is a JN machine gun nest protected by cinder blocks. Anything high caliber will eat trough them no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

Chinese PLA nominally conscripts but is de facto all volunteer

• Locked thread