Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sereri posted:

Should've gone with Trans-union to be honest, a union for transsexuals or something.

I was thinking Transonion, onions in drag.

But I suspect the show wouldn't want to go there what with a bunch of states being shitlords about what bathroom people can and can't use.

Still, onions in drag is funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I thought TransOnions were born Scallions, but identify as Onions.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Transonion.com isn't available. Seriously, that was like the first thing I checked after the episode.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I used to work for a company that does background checks on people, mostly for the purpose of applying for rental housing. Our clients were apartment complexes, property management companies, private landlords, and even a smaller percentage of employers. Our standard package included a credit check, criminal background check, and an eviction record search. I was just waiting to see my former company's logo pop up when John was talking about trying to order a report on one's self and not being able to do so. (except that wouldn't have made any sense because iirc we'd have no problem doing that for somebody. It's also a significantly smaller company than the ones that we listed so who knows)

Because of my past experience in the field I found this one incredibly interesting and ended up forwarding the video to quite a few of my former coworkers. To be fair though, if I didn't have that previous experience I probably would have regarded this one as more of a down episode.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It definitely ended on a sad note for me but overall I liked the episode.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Disappointed that they didn't use the opportunity to link the "Contact Us" element on each of the impostor sites to the actual credit bureaus. :saddowns:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Sereri posted:

Should've gone with Trans-union to be honest, a union for transsexuals or something.

You need something worse than the real thing, though. That particular bit of confusion would just make me think better of Transunion.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm surprised they didn't give a mention to the free credit report scams in that rundown. Those commercials have catchy tunes. I never thought about the credit reporting companies advertising to employers before though.

I was disappointed that TramsOnion didn't sell onions that had been squashed by trams.

Yes! I was just waiting for it. I told my sister to get a credit report for free online a couple years ago and told her "Make sure you go to Annualcreditreport.com", of course she ended up going to "Freecreditreport.com" and ended up paying for something or another.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Shoulda seen that coming at her like an atom bomb.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Medullah posted:

Yes! I was just waiting for it. I told my sister to get a credit report for free online a couple years ago and told her "Make sure you go to Annualcreditreport.com", of course she ended up going to "Freecreditreport.com" and ended up paying for something or another.

I still think that since it's a government mandated thing, they really ought to give it a .gov address.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Baronash posted:

I still think that since it's a government mandated thing, they really ought to give it a .gov address.

The fact that it's such an ambiguous address and a .com is insane. It should be like credit.gov, dead simple and obviously government.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IRQ posted:

The fact that it's such an ambiguous address and a .com is insane. It should be like credit.gov, dead simple and obviously government.

Why, it's almost like they don't want to give you the free information.

The law should be that I get to see my credit report whenever the gently caress I want to. The companies make their money off selling that info to other people, hell all the "free" credit report sites popped up around the time they decided to go ahead and give you one freebie a year.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Medullah posted:

Hmm, it's called FREE credit report but I need to pay $50. Seems legit! :downs:

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

IRQ posted:

I tell my relatives to go to ftc.gov and click on the big ol' "Get Your Free Credit Report" link to at least get the obviously government part.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Haven't gotten around to watching the segment yet, but about 8 years ago, I used to work in a call centre for Equifax. The few takeaways I have from that place are:

1) credit is WAAAAAY more important in the U.S. than it is in Canada. It's still important here, but we can rent an apartment without a credit check; we don't need good credit for every single thing we do.

2) Suze Ormand gives out bullshit advice!

3) You can call up and dispute a lot of the credit checks that appear on your report, most can and will be removed, thus increasing your score. Leading in to that...

4) Equifax gets or got a bad rap for taking 30 days to remove those checks from your report, whereas the other two agencies "removed them right away". What we legitimately weren't allowed to tell people calling us was that the other two agencies only made those reports invisible to you, but they were still on the report itself, still affected your credit score, and most likely would return in a few days, and might be removed at the end of the 30-day period. Equifax's policy was that the credit checks stayed on until they were legitimately removed and no longer were a part of your report.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Any more advice about getting bullshit removed? I have successfully disputed one item on my credit report in the past -- a medical bill that should have been paid by workman's comp (and eventually was). But I have a bad account on my report still. This is the situation: I had a CapitalOne card, which I canceled (because they're a bad company to work with) with zero balance. Months after canceling, CapitalOne permitted a charge from Amazon (annual Prime membership fee). I moved addresses and didn't tell CapitalOne since I had no open accounts with them. The unpaid balance accrued interest and ultimately resulted in a charge off.

How can I get this god drat poo poo off my report? It's dishonest.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Pillow Hat posted:

Any more advice about getting bullshit removed? I have successfully disputed one item on my credit report in the past -- a medical bill that should have been paid by workman's comp (and eventually was). But I have a bad account on my report still. This is the situation: I had a CapitalOne card, which I canceled (because they're a bad company to work with) with zero balance. Months after canceling, CapitalOne permitted a charge from Amazon (annual Prime membership fee). I moved addresses and didn't tell CapitalOne since I had no open accounts with them. The unpaid balance accrued interest and ultimately resulted in a charge off.

Don't pay anything, get everything in writing and write down the name, time and if they have one, the ID number of anyone you talk to. You can start by asking (in writing, USPS Certified mail with confirmation of delivery etc.) for them to verify the debt. Usually that resolves a good chunk of bullshit. Otherwise submit your evidence of cancellation and continue down that road.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Pillow Hat posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974

It's a very good thread about how to deal with credit agencies especially with getting items removed from your credit report, and the incentive the CR companies and the creditors use.

swickles posted:

Don't pay anything, get everything in writing and write down the name, time and if they have one, the ID number of anyone you talk to. You can start by asking (in writing, USPS Certified mail with confirmation of delivery etc.) for them to verify the debt. Usually that resolves a good chunk of bullshit. Otherwise submit your evidence of cancellation and continue down that road.

Step one always get a debt verification inwriting and if you don't ask for it to be removed and they have to.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sesame Street! :neckbeard:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Sesame Street was awesome, though I wish he could spend more time on the UK ripping Hameron and the Tories a new one.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It's scary how after all, Parlaiment is still less dysfunctional and spiteful than Congress. They can't even throw tantrums in a fun or interesting way.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

stone cold posted:

Sesame Street was awesome, though I wish he could spend more time on the UK ripping Hameron and the Tories a new one.

I agree, the fact that David Cameron hosed a dead pig should never be forgotten.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

It's scary how after all, Parlaiment is still less dysfunctional and spiteful than Congress. They can't even throw tantrums in a fun or interesting way.

Congress is a lot more formal. That one time that someone yelled at Obama during his speech to congress was a big deal, but Parliament has that whole thing where everyone feels free to heckle.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The British parliament is the middle school cafeteria of politics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Congress is a lot more formal. That one time that someone yelled at Obama during his speech to congress was a big deal, but Parliament has that whole thing where everyone feels free to heckle.

Or when they brought in a snowball.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Or when they brought in a snowball.
I think you mean Exhibit A in the case against global warming. :smug:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Sesame Street on HBO being a thing still kinda creeps me out a lil

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr Christmas posted:

It's largely because they don't have to contend with another branch routinely checking their powers. A parliments should probably run similarly to Congress when the same party holds significant majorities in both houses and has the Presidency.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SlothfulCobra posted:

..but not to clap.
http://stv.tv/news/politics/news/1321741-snp-56-mps-told-off-for-clapping-in-house-of-commons-by-john-bercow/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Sesame Street on HBO being a thing still kinda creeps me out a lil

Its weirds me out but John Oliver kind of just made it all right with me.

Just, lets avoid any other Sesame Street crossovers with HBO shows, shall we?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

STAC Goat posted:

Big Bird is the Prince That Was Promised.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

STAC Goat posted:

Too late

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhWUFXvaZjo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sesame Street parodies HBO Show in Its own style = Ok

Sesame Street is used as a means for an HBO Show in its own style = Potentially very scary

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Elmo comin', yo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Oscar The Grouch: Every fuckin’ beatin’ I’m grateful for. Every fuckin’ one of them. Get all the trust beat outta you. And you know what the fuckin’ world is.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

As much as I loved the segment, Sesame Street not being on PBS is like... morally wrong.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

As much as I loved the segment, Sesame Street not being on PBS is like... morally wrong.

It's still on the Boston PBS station. Isn't it on both?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
HBO gets first run for new episodes, then after several months those shows can air on PBS.

Also, I'm glad Sesame Street isn't on A&E. But I am curious how they would do the Breaking Bad "No half measures" thing.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Good way to teach kids about fractions, and consequences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Cookie Monster does a monologue about no half muffins.

• Locked thread