Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Found a pope hat, GOTY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuebot posted:

What enemies? That being said it is pretty fan servicey considering how many returning weapons there are, some odd choices made it in as boss soul weapons.

It was when I ran into Hellkite Drake, Mark 2 at the High Wall of Lothric when I went "okay, guys, this is getting a little much."

Then again, the swerve they threw at you kind of made up for it. You were expecting a nice prize for squeaking past the fire? TOO BAD. MIMIC TIME.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wildtortilla posted:

Dark Souls 1 was my first souls game. I spent nearly a weekend fighting through the Undeadburg and getting stonewalled by the black knight.

I then breezed through DS2 and then Demons.

I spent nearly two hours in Lothric and have been struggling to deal with the Knights that patrol around and I feel the same feelings I had in Undeadburg. Once the crashing stops (much better after setting lighting to low) this will probably be the only game I play for the rest of my life.

I'm sort of having the opposite problem. At this point I played so much DS1 and 2 that I'm expecting a lot of the gotchas they throw in. Not that I'm not enjoying the game, but it's definitely a series that I think is better completed by the third game instead of having a yearly release.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I wonder if my game is broken. I can invade others just fine and summon both purple and regular phantoms, but no one had invaded me. I'm embered, of a normal level for the area, and using the withered finger.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I tried my first invasion in a Souls game last night in the fifth? area Farron Keep. Finally found the guy after five minutes of wandering, didn't manage to hit him a single time, died. 10/10 would invade again.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

what burnt offering do I need to do to get this drat thing to recognize my DS4

I've played 4 of these games with a dual shock, I'm not switching to a keyboard now

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I tried my first invasion in a Souls game last night in the fifth? area Farron Keep. Finally found the guy after five minutes of wandering, didn't manage to hit him a single time, died. 10/10 would invade again.

Run away and use the levels enemies to tour advantage. Managed to win a 1v3 earlier in undead settlement that way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

It was when I ran into Hellkite Drake, Mark 2 at the High Wall of Lothric when I went "okay, guys, this is getting a little much."

Then again, the swerve they threw at you kind of made up for it. You were expecting a nice prize for squeaking past the fire? TOO BAD. MIMIC TIME.

I was just about to ask if there was anything behind it! Has anyone killed it yet?

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

That's just tradition at this point. DeS, DaS, and SotFS all had basically the same thing, I would've been surprised if it didn't show up.

Area 5?ish spoilers I was kind of surprised to see the Darkwraiths in Farron's Keep though, and to find out that they hit like loving trucks now after I mostly breezed through them even on my first playthrough of DaS. Watching them slaughter the other enemies in that area is wonderful.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
How are the polearms in this game? Is it like Dark Souls 2 where if you're too close to the point of impact you do way less damage or is it rather (short)range agnostic like it was in Dark Souls 1?

I got my green melty faced hulk guy made this morning before work and beat the first boss, rolled him up as a warrior and still thinking about what I want to do for him for weapons. I'm thinking I may try my traditional "Hit it with a big stick" build and just find the biggest club nearby.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Rodyle posted:

what burnt offering do I need to do to get this drat thing to recognize my DS4

I've played 4 of these games with a dual shock, I'm not switching to a keyboard now

Have you tried checking "Hide DS4 Controller" setting in DS4Windows? That worked for me.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

DeathSandwich posted:

How are the polearms in this game? Is it like Dark Souls 2 where if you're too close to the point of impact you do way less damage or is it rather (short)range agnostic like it was in Dark Souls 1?

I got my green melty faced hulk guy made this morning before work and beat the first boss, rolled him up as a warrior and still thinking about what I want to do for him for weapons. I'm thinking I may try my traditional "Hit it with a big stick" build and just find the biggest club nearby.

Polearms by your description feel more DS1 to me. Some attacks are more about crowd-control than damage-dealing.

TheMopeSquad posted:

Have you tried checking "Hide DS4 Controller" setting in DS4Windows? That worked for me.

And if Steam is open, close Steam, close DS4w, start DS4w, hide controller, start Steam.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can tell how long it's been since I've played a Souls game by the embarrassingly large number of times I've died to Iudex Gundyr.

It doesn't help that my controller is hosed up or something and it keeps using my estus flask in the middle of dodge rolls.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 12, 2016

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

I wonder if my game is broken. I can invade others just fine and summon both purple and regular phantoms, but no one had invaded me. I'm embered, of a normal level for the area, and using the withered finger.

This is me for every souls game. People just don't invade so you feel like you're the only invader at times. I've probably been invaded less than a 100 times counting EVERY SINGLE souls game (apart from in like dueling areas people camp in and do pvp over and over again but they dont really count)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

OK so I'm stuck at work and not playing and that's stupid but I know what I have to do when I get back. Thing is i decided to gimp myself and start deprived and take no notes.

Im getting my poo poo pushed in by a silver Knight . I want to go back and do two things I missed but have no recollection of which bonfire to start at.

1) I found a cage key and remember an executioner guy in a cage.
2) A boss I can only refer to as fat zombie witch Beatrice who was one shotting me with purple homing magic

weekly font fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 12, 2016

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The ps4 frame rate is bordering on unplayable. The camera chugs badly when you move it around and the frame rate isn't even close to a stable 30. It's probably more like an unstable 20 fps. Anyone else loving the ps4 version?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a fuckin' mug right there.

RBA Starblade posted:

I was just about to ask if there was anything behind it! Has anyone killed it yet?

Sort of.

I shot it in the knee fifty times and it hosed off when I got it down to about 10% health and I got a large titanite out of the deal.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 12, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How is anyone dying to Gundyr? Starting as a knight, he hit me only once, and longswording his butt worked well enough. Same with the boss after him.

OwlFancier posted:

Sort of.

I shot it in the knee fifty times and it hosed off when I got it down to about 10% health and I got a large titanite out of the deal.

Neat!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh okay so I guess I made the mistake of bothering to dodge anything he does at all once he transforms. Shoving my face in his junk mashing R1 is clearly the correct way to beat a Dark Souls boss :downs:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What do you all think it means to be Unkindled too? An undead who failed to light the fire the first time? Does the fact you were undead and died mean that when the flames are lit, the undead die until it fades?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

RBA Starblade posted:

How is anyone dying to Gundyr? Starting as a knight, he hit me only once, and longswording his butt worked well enough. Same with the boss after him.

Neat!

some of us are not good at *Souls. Some of us also compounded their problem by bingeing Hyper Light Drifter over the weekend so that we pressed wrong buttons, a lot, for the first couple hours of DS3 :downs:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Start as deprived, two hand the club, roll around a ton, get hit twice before you've figured out all his moves or when you slightly mistime a roll, die. It's easy to die when you play the game the right way :colbert:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Shortest Path posted:

Oh okay so I guess I made the mistake of bothering to dodge anything he does at all once he transforms. Shoving my face in his junk mashing R1 is clearly the correct way to beat a Dark Souls boss :downs:

tbf that means they've changed the formula because rolling left (bosses right) under their swing and buttpoking them is a time honored strategy to beating From Software games

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TheMopeSquad posted:

Yeah I've been doing this, but I've had to redo it multiple times every time I boot until it finally accepts it, I wanted to know if there was a better way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RVProfootballer posted:

Start as deprived, two hand the club, roll around a ton, get hit twice before you've figured out all his moves or when you slightly mistime a roll, die. It's easy to die when you play the game the right way :colbert:

I mean I didn't even need the shield, just hug his but hole.

Maybe it was all that practice against Vendrick. :haw:

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Deprived was a good choice. The fast roll is ridiculously good. So unforgiving as a class as well. Beat the first 3 bosses last night blind. Feels good. Now I just gotta get through this workday...

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm starting to really resent how much damage the enemies do. Given, I don't like to put any more into vigor than I absolutely have to, but it feels like every single enemy can take me from full-death in a single combo.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
These Darkwraiths are such jerks. I just want a sword, but now i've gotten the entire armor set and still no sword.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm starting to really resent how much damage the enemies do. Given, I don't like to put any more into vigor than I absolutely have to, but it feels like every single enemy can take me from full-death in a single combo.

I you're saying that now, just wait :haw:

(27 vig = 1000hp, it's a nice rounded number, I like to have that on all my toplv characters)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
ugh, whole work day between me and more dying. what a world

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I died a considerable amount of times before I remembered that you could target an enemy to circle them easier.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Omi no Kami posted:

As a purple pal, I appreciate it because it means people start to trust me long enough if I hack at them. Then if an invader shows up even better! Then I poke them in the butt once and get their sweet, sweet, vertebrae. :unsmigghh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

This is actually true for any Dark Souls boss more than eight feet tall.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So there's no soul memory anymore, right? Does online matchmaking work just like DS1 or is it a new system?

(basically, I wanna know if losing souls is ok or not :downs: )

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Does anyone have a link to a good summary of the plot of the first two DS games? I honestly never really understood it more than "here is a big monster, slay the poo poo out of it", but I feel like I should

Oxxidation posted:

This is actually true for any Dark Souls boss more than eight feet tall.

You know you're hosed when the boss is the same height as you are.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Elman posted:

So there's no soul memory anymore, right? Does online matchmaking work just like DS1 or is it a new system?

It's alright to lose souls, it's DS1 style and with weapon reinforcement level. If you have a weapon that maxes out at +10 and it's at +5, you will matchmake with a range of +3 to +7. If you have a +10 it's +8 and up you get to meet. Weapons that max out at +5 increase each step in a hidden level of 2 each. No multiplayer action of any kind = time to upgrade, in my book.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good summary of the plot of the first two DS games? I honestly never really understood it more than "here is a big monster, slay the poo poo out of it", but I feel like I should

In a nutshell, Dark Souls 1 is about "linking the fire" (by using yourself as kindling), keeping the world turning. Dark Souls 2 is about choosing not to the next time the fire needs rekindling. Dark Souls 3 is what happens when the world is ending because you took the path of the Humongous.

Also Dark refers to dark things and also humanity. Dark dark dark darkity dark dark

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I have approximately zero idea what I'm doing having not actually played any of this series before, but it seems fun? Died to the tutorial boss twice before getting used to dodging, ran into some thing that transformed like aforementioned boss in the first zone and promptly died again. :darksouls:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Elman posted:

sl +/- 10 and weapon str +/-2 is the current guesstimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, 27? I must be really underrating it... I haven't moved mine from 12, capping my damage stat and getting vit/end where I wanted them felt more important at the time.