Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

tbf I'm pretty sure that she could have done without the referendum.

It's a bit suspect when they decide to hold an open public referendum and then themselves publish material using public money to back one side or the other. Like if in 2020 they spent £9m on sending a pamphlet called "Why the current Government believes that voting Conservative in the upcoming election is the best decision for the UK." to every home in the country.

Nice of you to join us, Daniel Hannan:

Daniel Hannan posted:

Austerity is evidently not for everybody. There might not be money for junior doctors or people on disability allowances, but there’s money to tell us to vote to stay in the EU.

The Remain and Leave campaigns are limited by statute to spending £7m each. Yet ministers are spending no less than £9.3m of taxpayers’ money to prop up their faltering campaign.

Whether or not you support this government, and whether or not you want to stay in the EU, there is something outrageous about spending our own money on telling us what to think.

The government’s defence – that it is giving us facts which just happen to bolster a Remain vote – is almost too absurd to merit serious refutation. By the same logic, it would be OK for ministers in an election year to send every household a state-funded booklet setting out the “factual” case for re-electing the Conservatives.

:twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

CORBYN TRIES TO IMPRESS HMRC STAFF BY LYING ABOUT HIS INCOME.

This is bad for Corbyn.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

He's disorganised, incompetent, confused and innumerate.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

hookerbot 5000 posted:

it does mean he's a bit rubbish at filling out forms, which is completely understandable and really common, but also not a great quality for people in charge of running a country.

But on the otherhand, he's not a pigfucker who hordes his wealth overseas until he's just about to become PM. Which is worse?

It's Corbyn, isn't it 'Flaps?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

hookerbot 5000 posted:

it does mean he's a bit rubbish at filling out forms, which is completely understandable and really common, but also not a great quality for people in charge of running a country.

Lol if you think the Prime Minister ever has to fill out forms.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

I'm just saying I broke this story here first.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pissflaps posted:

And His mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

But on the otherhand, he's not a pigfucker who hordes his wealth overseas until he's just about to become PM. Which is worse?

It's Corbyn, isn't it 'Flaps?

I agree, I would much rather Corbyn in charge than Cameron and a lot of the other Labour party candidates. But with all his good qualities of actually being a human being rather than a crippled husk, inattention to detail is not the quality I would be shouting about.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Lol if you think the Prime Minister ever has to fill out forms.

He may not have to, but he should be able to.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

How else did Gordon Brown borrow all the poonds?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

idiot cant count get him out now

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

David Cameron counts so well that that he knew exactly how much of his money he needed to store overseas in order to avoid paying tax on it. Jeremy Corbyn is so bad at counting that he got his tax return all wrong. This just goes to prove why David Cameron is the leader that this country needs.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Jeremy Corbyn is a human being and makes small mistakes from time to time. Naturally this is bad for Jeremy Corbyn.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

corbyn will overpay the EU and bankrupt us with his bad bookkeeping

China doesn't do rebates comrade corbyn!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mega Comrade posted:

Dude, 11.5 million documents. 2'600GB of data.

NSA Files was 50'000 documents, of which only 400 were released
Wikileaks Cables was 250'000 documents.

The papers involved in this leak have spent significant money and man power researching these documents. They will start with the biggest stories, involvement to politicians, then it will move on to celebrities, then major figures in companies. This isn't some race either, all the papers involved have an agreement about what stories break and who gets to break them and as they aren't publicly available they can take as long as they want. This story is going to be drip fed to us over months.

To put it in perspective, the first set of stories comprised of only 149 documents and targeted heads of state. The ICIJ have stated the next batch will come early May and involve major companies this time.

I appreciate that they have done so. And I appreciate the scale of the thing.

But at the same time, we have pretty effective searching algorithms these days. I have no idea how the documents were actually physically (or electronically) passed over, but I'm guessing electronic given that we're talking about GB of data, so presumably they're in some kind of file structure...

If there was going to be anything killer in there for our politicians, I feel like we'd know about it.

I mean, I'll be glad if I'm proven wrong, but I doubt I will be.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The first reports about the Papers came out a little more than a week ago and even if they have trawled through everything already the media has an interest in publishing the story piecemeal to keep up the interest in it, so maybe we should just wait and see what comes out?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Guido Fawkes is having a great time pointing out that various Council pension funds, as well as the MPs pension fund all invest in funds that are domiciled in Jersey, Guernsey, and various other tax havens

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
they should be paying their taxes imho

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/12/the-dark-side-of-guardian-comments

"As part of a series into the rising global phenomenon of online harassment, the Guardian commissioned research into the 70m comments left on its site since 2006 and discovered that of the 10 most abused writers eight are women, and the two men are black."

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

thespaceinvader posted:

But at the same time, we have pretty effective searching algorithms these days. I have no idea how the documents were actually physically (or electronically) passed over, but I'm guessing electronic given that we're talking about GB of data, so presumably they're in some kind of file structure...

If there was going to be anything killer in there for our politicians, I feel like we'd know about it.

A searching algorithm only helps if you know who to look for. Plus remember that these files go back 40 years, the majority of them are going to be photocopies of written documents which are much more difficult to algorithmically search.

But yes, I imagine the majority of the politician stories directly involved has passed. You likely will get more stories around Politicians cousins, friends and other such links though as finding them is more a case of 'this persons done some dodgy stuff, who are they? Oh its Gideons Best Man " etc etc

And as I said, in May it's onto the companies and corporations. Who wants to bet that Philip Green's name comes up?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jippa posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/12/the-dark-side-of-guardian-comments

"As part of a series into the rising global phenomenon of online harassment, the Guardian commissioned research into the 70m comments left on its site since 2006 and discovered that of the 10 most abused writers eight are women, and the two men are black."

Typical Guardian readers, innit? Where's the hate for Rafael Behr & Matthew d'Ancona? Idiot commenters.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

thespaceinvader posted:

i think a huge amount of the files were scans of documents that takes a really long time to turn into something that is searchable

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

tentish klown posted:

Guido Fawkes is having a great time pointing out that various Council pension funds, as well as the MPs pension fund all invest in funds that are domiciled in Jersey, Guernsey, and various other tax havens

Remember that time Paul Staines went on Newsnight, shown only in silhouette to hide his identity, which Paxman thought was absurd, & the other studio guest, Michael White, said "oh, it's Paul Staines"?

Literally the only thing I've ever enjoyed that was related to Paul Staines. The fact he still seems salty about his top secret identity being revealed just makes it tastier.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Typical Guardian readers, innit? Where's the hate for Rafael Behr & Matthew d'Ancona? Idiot commenters.

Guardian comments seem to be gamer gaters and storm fronters.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jippa posted:

Guardian comments seem to be gamer gaters and storm fronters.

This is true. The Guardian comment section always struck me as a bit odd to say the least. I mean the last thing I can be arsed doing is trolling through Daily Mail articles to talk up full communism now in their comment sections. Life is too short. Their bosses clearly need to give them more engaging tasks to perform.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Mega Comrade posted:

A searching algorithm only helps if you know who to look for. Plus remember that these files go back 40 years, the majority of them are going to be photocopies of written documents which are much more difficult to algorithmically search.

This is literally what I do for a living. Finding and analysing data in scanned documents. We're very good at it. 11 million documents might take a while though, and it'd generate a poo poo load of results to sort through.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jose posted:

i think a huge amount of the files were scans of documents that takes a really long time to turn into something that is searchable

I assume they OCRed them, though that's not desperately reliable.

Mega Comrade posted:

But yes, I imagine the majority of the politician stories directly involved has passed. You likely will get more stories around Politicians cousins, friends and other such links though as finding them is more a case of 'this persons done some dodgy stuff, who are they? Oh its Gideons Best Man " etc etc

And as I said, in May it's onto the companies and corporations. Who wants to bet that Philip Green's name comes up?

I assume you go through and run searches on, e.g. the surnames of major world leaders, which will be how they found Cameron's dad. Horrible dull work, until you get a solid hit.

Your second point... this is where the left being the good guys will hurt. Because we've spent a lot of time criticising people for involving family in this sort of business. We shouted when Milliband's dad was dragged through the mud, and we shout when people bring up Piers Corbyn. And whilst these sorts of accusations are far more damaging, they're also a lot easier to defend against, basicaly on the basis of 'well YOU said we shouldn't talk about family *proceeds to attack anyone found in the papers with even a tangential connection to Labour*

I'd assume that kind of tossbag would come up. But... does it make a huge difference to the Government? No.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

thespaceinvader posted:

I assume they OCRed them, though that's not desperately reliable.

We're really good at that too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OCR's actually gotten really good in recent years, lot better than it was when I was in college.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

OCR's actually gotten really good in recent years, lot better than it was when I was in college.

I dunno about that really. I deal with entire collections that have been through OCR on a pretty constant basis and even for printed and typescript material (where you'd expect the accuracy to be highest) it still throws up constant errors. I can never plug a search term into an OCR'd archive and accept what results it gives me - I'm going and hunting through anything I think might be relevant by hand because I know for a fact that the computer will have hosed the dog somewhere.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The restaurant I worked in for a few months tried an OCR system for relaying orders to the kitchen.

It lasted for about a week of hilarious errors before it promptly hosed off and we went back to just written tickets.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yes the documents were all scans - they put them into a special tool they usually use for their archiving process and said it took several months of raw processing power even with the files in digital format.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

I know for a fact that the computer will have hosed the dog somewhere.
The Cameron 1200 has some disturbing peripherals.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hang those that bum the puppy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh, poo poo, it's hanging. *bangs side of machine*

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

im sickened that corbyn overestimated his earnings by £270 and as a paid up member of the labour party, demand a reelection for party leader

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
These panama papers are the nail in Corbyn's proverbial coffin.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm going to print out the papers and use them to make his literal coffin. :rip: Corbyn too polite for this world.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm cataloguing some papers from the 1892 general election atm and one tory supporter whose local MP lost his seat lays the blame on the "agricultural deficiency in intellect", which is a really charming choice of words. Also he's really :qq: about Gladstone's "Newcastle Programme" which promises to hold employers liable for workplace accidents.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If the working class don't have the intellect to conduct themselves properly around my open pit of boiling arsenic then I don't see why I should be the one punished for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Pissflaps posted:

But enough about Gideon...

• Locked thread