Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mat_Drinks posted:

The no manual is surely a deal killer for many, which I can definitely understand.
I don't think of of the current RS cars come with manuals.

Edit - I forgot about the TTRS.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

That spring setup never ceases to amaze me.

For whatever reason reunification ruined German engineers. They went from making simple straightforward cars that just work to overly complicated crap that inevitably light itself on fire or pissed fluid out of taillights as soon as that wall fell.

Some poster here once described German engineering as identifying a specific problem to solve, then working diligently to solve that one problem 100% of the way, without any concern for exactly how you address it or any side effects that might result.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For instance, the "diesel engine emission" problem. We all know how that was solved.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Just checked out the new Cadillac CT6, holy poo poo, it's nice. I poked around a bunch of luxobarges at the local car show, and the caddy was the only one that felt like a rival to the benzes. Hope the interiors hold up over time, because for the first time in my life I want a caddy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BloodBag posted:

Mercedes...What's Mercedes got?

Tainted by actually being Chrysler for a decade.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Why does everyone hate the Dodge Dart so much? I had one as a rental and thought it was somewhat decent. :confused:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
How many Chrysler or Chevy's do you see running after 10 years vs most other manufacturers of small cars? Do you trust a Fiat/Chrysler love child to be well built?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Christobevii3 posted:

How many Chrysler or Chevy's do you see running after 10 years vs most other manufacturers of small cars? Do you trust a Fiat/Chrysler love child to be well built?

There are old cavaliers/cobalts and a bajillion things with the 3.8 still running around here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TheWevel posted:

Why does everyone hate the Dodge Dart so much? I had one as a rental and thought it was somewhat decent. :confused:

It's the worst car in its segment by far.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Fiesta sedan auto and Chevy sonic are pretty bad too. Sonic has the cheapest interior since the stripper neon. The fiesta auto is weird

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Dart costs $3,000 more than the Fiesta sedan with an auto.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TheWevel posted:

It's not like it's a Geo, but when you compare it to what else you can get for the money it kinda falls flat on its face.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's the worst car in its segment by far.

I really, really want them to make another Neon though. Small, light, cheap with a manual. I think they could do it.

Hell, Fiat has the 124, take the Miata base, stretch it by a tiny amount and add a pair of small rear doors and a roof and call it the Neon.

Actually, now that I think about it... since Fiat has access to Mazda stuff, what's the relationship between them and Mazda? Could we have a modern Neon that's based off of the Mazda3?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Dart is the modern Neon. At least, as well as Fiatsler can pull it off.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

El Scotch posted:

It's not like it's a Geo, but when you compare it to what else you can get for the money it kinda falls flat on its face.

Yeah. I get it. I think since I was looking at it from a rental car perspective it seemed decent compared to some of the other turds in its rental class. Looking at the MSRP Fiat/Chrysler was getting greedy.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
TST posted a video today of the Boxster S featuring the new 350 HP, 319ft/lb VVT Turbo four-banger and drat does it sound bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71dPKCqVegs

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I guess Tesla refreshed the Model S today. Has the same ugly grill absence as the Model 3:

I tried to tune it up a bit and ended up making it look more like a Fiat:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Put a crosshair grille in that and you've resurrected the Intrepid.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sigma X posted:

TST posted a video today of the Boxster S featuring the new 350 HP, 319ft/lb VVT Turbo four-banger and drat does it sound bad.

It sounds kinda subie-ish. Looks like a fun drive. Would.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The new 3 and S are a vast improvement over faux-grille. Finally some drat progress in aesthetics.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Fyodor is my favorite jokester on this forum

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Man, I really want Porsche to throw that new 4 banger in an FR hatchback and call it a 944.

Healthy Nut Snack
Mar 23, 2016
Toyoda goon bringing Toyoda news. Grorious nippon has greenlit the development of diesel Tundra for white piggu gaijin, grory to Emperor Akio, long may he rain

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

eyebeem posted:

Man, I really want Porsche to throw that new 4 banger in an FR hatchback and call it a 944.
I want them to put it in the BRZ and make it worth owning.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BloodBag posted:

I originally was going to say that... almost verbatim.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sigma X posted:

Can't wait for those "old" 981 GTSes to come off lease next year. :getin:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Sigma X posted:

I'm not going to argue that it sounds great for a 4 (like the CLA/GLA which is hilariously nutty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqeogOKJdSg), but come on, it doesn't sound bad.

edit: the power numbers are nice for it's weight.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 13, 2016

Aztech
May 30, 2009

fyodor posted:

The new 3 and S are a vast improvement over faux-grille. Finally some drat progress in aesthetics.

You are making a very solid effort to have this thread renamed to "grillchat"

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Sigma X posted:

Yeah that just sounds like a bucket of farts. And I say that as an STI owner. When you get in a Subaru, you know what to expect. The sounds coming from that Boxster were awful and very different from what you'd hear just one model year ago.

The 981.1 GTS might be the high point of Porsche's N/A tuning. What they did with the 3.4L was just incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYQWmNGAPb8

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't see (hear) the problem with the new Boxster :shrug:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Sagebrush posted:

I don't see (hear) the problem with the new Boxster :shrug:

As Pr0kjayhawk posted, the Boxster GTS sounds like an adult's sportscar, as even the earlier Caymans and Boxsters do. For me, the new turbo four-banger sounds like some early 20s guy's moderately tuned STi. It's not that it sounds bad coming out of a sportscar per se, it's just that it sounds bad sound coming from an eighty thousand dollar sports car targeted at adults in their 40s.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BloodBag posted:

Im sure people will be lining up for an $80k Subaru

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sigma X posted:

As Pr0kjayhawk posted, the Boxster GTS sounds like an adult's sportscar, as even the earlier Caymans and Boxsters do. For me, the new turbo four-banger sounds like some early 20s guy's moderately tuned STi. It's not that it sounds bad coming out of a sportscar per se, it's just that it sounds bad sound coming from an eighty thousand dollar sports car targeted at adults in their 40s.

40s? I bet the average Porsche buyer, even for a Boxster, is significantly higher.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That was my impression. It's a neat sound that doesn't suit a Boxster or its likely driver.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bovril Delight posted:

40s? I bet the average Porsche buyer, even for a Boxster, is significantly higher.

I think i saw somewhere that average porsche buyer age is mid 50s and Boxster buyer age is high 40s/low 50s. Though you could argue that the GT versions target younger buyers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

40s you still have kids in the house. 2 door cars the price of 1.5 years of college is a tough sell.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I hope prices don't go up on the 6 cyl Boxsters. If my back injury doesn't heal I'm thinking of getting out of my Miata into something more comfortable and 987s are top of the list.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Ford has revealed how it's going to decide who gets to buy one of the 500 GTs: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/04/the-lucky-500-applications-open-for-the-ford-gt-supercar/

This should at least prevent unscrupulous dealers here in the US from doubling the price with their markup.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Apparently you can get a new Continental for $45 grand (base model)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Isn't that car basically a Taurus