Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
last night almost crash free. today stutter city followed by a white screen of death.

anyone getting this poo poo? how could you go from best port ever on day 1 for ds2 and then gently caress it up again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good summary of the plot of the first two DS games? I honestly never really understood it more than "here is a big monster, slay the poo poo out of it", but I feel like I should

You know you're hosed when the boss is the same height as you are.

The plot of Dark Souls 1 is "Everything is awful and the world is hosed no matter what you do"
The plot of Dark Souls 2 is "Everything is awful and the world is hosed no matter what you do so you might as well tell all these prophecy spouting fucks to shove off and go your own way because #yolo"

VaatiVidya has the best video summaries imo, spoilers for DS1 and 2 obviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwUm_S1fedw

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 12, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good summary of the plot of the first two DS games? I honestly never really understood it more than "here is a big monster, slay the poo poo out of it", but I feel like I should

The world is caught between two opposing forces, Fire and Dark. Originally there was nothing but Dark in the world and all creatures were immortal - including the Ancient Dragons - but then the First Fire came into life, introducing change and mortality. Several mighty personages took hold of sparks of the First Flame, deposed the Ancient Dragons, and created a mighty and utopian empire with the power they held, but like all fires, the First Flame eventually started to gutter and die. This allowed Dark to creep back into the world, and introduced the undying and ever-more insane Undead.

The gods who first gripped the flame tried, with increasing desperation, to relight it, but most of their attempts only made things worse: the Witch of Izalith attempted to make a new flame, but only destroyed her body and introduced demons into the world; Nito, First of the Dead, merely shut himself back away in his coffin, but found his power leeched away by the insatiable Pinwheel; and Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight, tried to grant fragments of his own powerful soul to human leaders, but they were tempted by the Dark and became the twisted Four Kings. Eventually Gwyn found himself driven to desperation, and returned to the Kiln of the First Flame to "link the fire," using his own soul as kindling for the hearth. He would burn eternally in the Kiln to keep the Fire going, while his old friend Frampt tried to tempt some hapless Undead into empowering their own soul and doing the same. But even if they did, the time would come 'round again when the First Flame sputtered out, so the world is trapped in a perpetual cycle of sacrificial Fire and growing Dark.

Then Dark Souls 2 happened. It was largely nonsense.

Dark Souls 3 seems to take place in a world so exhausted by the endless cycles that not even linking the fire is enough anymore; many of the Undead have become "ashen," their feeble souls unfit to even be kindling for the Flame. The latest solution has something to do with gathering up the various Lords of Cinder who sacrificed themselves to the Kiln in ages past to give the world enough strength to live on. I don't think it's going to end well.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

wtf does the luck stat do

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

so I have a 700 series nvidia card and every time i crash to desktop it also resets all my graphics settings, which puts the lighting above "low" and causes crashes to be more likely the next time in addition to mucking up every other setting I have. Is there any way I can force lighting to always be at low with like a .ini file or something

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Undead town or w/e? Was kinda dancing with the worshippers or w/e?

Super late, but yeah those dudes in Undead Settlement. They're cool dudesladies?, and I appreciate, respect, and share their joy for Souls.

b0red posted:

Ups the chance of items dropping, and the speed at which you build bleed and poison when using those weapons.

So, who gives a poo poo and gimmicks I guess.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 12, 2016

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Got to the second proper zone today post introduction to frostbite, love the Mozgus ladies :byodame: :supaburn:

b0red posted:

Boosts item find.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

last night almost crash free. today stutter city followed by a white screen of death.

anyone getting this poo poo? how could you go from best port ever on day 1 for ds2 and then gently caress it up again?

Well this obviously wasn't made by FROM's B-Team so you see

Jokes aside, game seems unstable as gently caress. Started playing about two hours ago and it crashed six times.
EDIT: Setting everything down to low seems to have fixed it. I'll try bringing every setting up one by one to see which one makes it crash more.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 12, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

b0red posted:

That's your +poison/bleed and item find stat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also if anyone's thinking about upgrading their drivers to improve performance - maybe don't do that. Reports are coming in that Nvidia's latest DS3-ready driver is bricking some people's cards.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

How is anyone dying to Gundyr? Starting as a knight, he hit me only once, and longswording his butt worked well enough. Same with the boss after him.

Neat!

I died once because I made the mistake of trying to keep my distance while ruminating about Japan's tentacle obsessions.

Second time around I figured out the taint-cleaver tactic, which is much more of a vital strategy in this game than in previous ones.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
if you're seeing crash issues i'm curious to know which video card you have

e: i have a 900-series nvidia and i haven't crashed

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

So p much useless unless you want to farm something or use bleed/poison stuff. Good to know. Sticking with faith/str.

No crashing issues with my gtx 970

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

Also if anyone's thinking about upgrading their drivers to improve performance - maybe don't do that. Reports are coming in that Nvidia's latest DS3-ready driver is bricking some people's cards.

It's not bricking mine, but also not helping performance at all anyway, so don't even bother risking it.

Also the timer for the game on Steam seemed to keep going past the overheat/crashes because I didn't play for 3 hours yesterday, but now I can't refund it and just get it on PS4. Hopefully one of these patches helps it not catch my computer on fire.

quote:

To be fair the 30 minutes before I hit 90 Celsius are silky smooth.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

b0red posted:

So p much useless unless you want to farm something or use bleed/poison stuff. Good to know. Sticking with faith/str.

There's also a weapon upgrade path called "Hollowing" that scales to luck as well.

I would imagine something like a Hollowing Scythe that already has innate bleed on it would be a pretty swell luck build weapon.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

:notch: greets to varg :notch:

gotta say I can't remember the last time I could set churches on fire in video games

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cool, thanks for the summary. That actually makes some sort of sense. So basically it has just been a repeating cycle of undead, and each new protagonist is just feeding more and more into it

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man I'm up to 6 Estus Flasks now and I genuinely can't remember finding a single shard. I just visit Andre for other stuff and try reinforcing for shits and giggles and whaddya know, it works! I'm sure I actually picked them up on the way (double-checked the locations after the second surprise reinforce and I've definitely been where you pick the first two shards up) but it still weirds me out considering how much I generally pay attention to loot and value the Shards.

Also, the game managed to lose my bloodstain at the artillery parts of the Undead Settlement - I failed the jump there and returned to try again, but there was no green spot to be found anywhere near. Weird.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

There's also a weapon upgrade path called "Hollowing" that scales to luck as well.

I would imagine something like a Hollowing Scythe that already has innate bleed on it would be a pretty swell luck build weapon.

I'm pretty excited after my first play through to start reading the wiki and learning about stuff like this. I'm going to make so many pvp builds.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Cool, thanks for the summary. That actually makes some sort of sense. So basically it has just been a repeating cycle of undead, and each new protagonist is just feeding more and more into it

Pretty much. DS2 muddles it some by forgetting what half the stuff in DS1 meant, but the gist is link fire, life great, fire fades, undead show up, one undead goes "watch this everyone" and sets self on fire, fire linked, repeat.

Also what the gently caress was the throne of want in the end? Just the Kiln?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

b0red posted:

Same here, been absolutely perfect.

Also re the abyss jizz monsters, I'm not sure what I think of them, I find them really visually indistinct and... kind of lovely looking? Really hard to read their attacks and I don't know what's actually hitting me most of the time because the screen is just a mess of black goop. I've killed a couple and I feel like it's pure luck.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is the first real boss weak to fire? I made a fire battle ax and it's tearing through that guy. I sunbro'd a bunch last night to help people and it's hilarious. Surprisingly, only one guy bothered to use help to take down the red eye knight nearby.

Edit: also my gtx660ti is doing pretty decently, all on low at 60fps with 1080. I'm debating getting a 970 or waiting until the new ones come out since this is really the only game it struggles on.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 12, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Pretty much. DS2 muddles it some by forgetting what half the stuff in DS1 meant, but the gist is link fire, life great, fire fades, undead show up, one undead goes "watch this everyone" and sets self on fire, fire linked, repeat.

Also what the gently caress was the throne of want in the end? Just the Kiln?

Because you know objectively what stuff in Dks2 meant, more the developer does. :jerkbag:

And yeah, the Throne of Want is just the Kiln in another shape.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
In case anyone else has low end crap like me, a gtx 560 ti with otherwise sufficient cpu/ram/ssd can just barely run this at a playable level, after turning everything to low/off, 1366x768 resolution, and overclocking the gpu via Nvidia's system tool. This ends up with maybe 20-30 fps in most places, with fairly regular stuttering and pauses. Anywhere enclosed is on the better end with fewer stutters, but places with a big view are not great. Still good enough for me to get to the first proper boss and explore a decent bit of the first level. Of course that isn't good enough for me for the final Dark Souls, so I've got a new (cheap) card on the way that'll do 60 fps on medium/high.

On the bright side, game was totally stable, not a single crash after starting as Deprived!

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is the first real boss weak to fire? I made a fire battle ax and it's tearing through that guy. I sunbro'd a bunch last night to help people and it's hilarious. Surprisingly, only one guy bothered to use help to take down the red eye knight nearby.

The high wall is a really fun place to sunbro because of the three ways you can go. I've had people that want to go straight to the boss and others who want to get all the items. Basically people who just got there and those who've been throwing themselves at the map.

praising the sun rn that i upgrade my graphics card a month ago for this.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I bought the key for the shrine is the fire keepers soul all ya get?

You also get access to the item trading crows and some loot if you explore.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Coolwhoami posted:

Have you left messages anywhere?

I went to bed shortly after posting that, but yes I have. Getting them rated seems to refill your health as always. However, I was playing with a buddy who was also receiving random Estus Flask recharges, and he hadn't placed any messages at all.

GreyPowerVan posted:

certain enemies, i think maybe the red-eye knight guys?

This seems to be the likely cause. Certain enemies use Estus Flasks themselves, perhaps killing them grants you the charges?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Because you know objectively what stuff in Dks2 meant, more the developer does. :jerkbag:

No? It muddles it by having different characters refer to different terms as different things in different contexts than in DS1. Which is the point, since most characters in the game don't actually know much of anything about DS1. Scholar clarifies it but also changes a lot of the context of things in both games further. Just look and see how many people didn't get where Drangleic was, which is fair, because the ocean used to be below it.

quote:

And yeah, the Throne of Want is just the Kiln in another shape.

Thought so! The implication it can do more than rekindle is odd though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It feels so good to use the Red eye orb and get a hit in like 5 seconds every single time.

I've already seen more blue sentinels in this game than in 200 hours of dark souls 2.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

TheQat posted:

if you're seeing crash issues i'm curious to know which video card you have

e: i have a 900-series nvidia and i haven't crashed

Crashing with a GTX 770. Setting everything to low seems to alleviate it somewhat.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Most of my crashes happen near bonfires. Turning the lighting effects down to low helped for about an hour or so, and now it's back to crashing again.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I found the game to be the buggiest around the starting area and firelink shrine. Outside of that, I haven't had any issues.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Most of my crashes happen near bonfires. Turning the lighting effects down to low helped for about an hour or so, and now it's back to crashing again.

double check your settings. I found a few of mine kept reseting.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Oxxidation posted:

Hahahaha. I haven't updated my driver for like two months, because every time I listen to a podcast they have a story like, "Hey, did you hear about the new Nvidia driver update that makes your computer spontaneously combust? Oops, and now there's another one that makes your video card emit gamma radiation."

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
what are, and how do you do those messages where when you read them, a blue phantom does a gesture? there was one next to that whiny dude in firelink. its the only message i've come across which has a phantom pop up doing something every time i read it. the message is something about wanting friends? :(

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

Vikar Jerome posted:

what are, and how do you do those messages where when you read them, a blue phantom does a gesture? there was one next to that whiny dude in firelink. its the only message i've come across which has a phantom pop up doing something every time i read it. the message is something about wanting friends? :(

Oh hey that might be mine. It points to a useful NPC after getting to the Undead Settlement. He's fairly story critical for an ending or so I've heard.

As for the gesture itself, look at the menu when you make a message, it should have a change format option.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Vikar Jerome posted:

Punch Y/Triangle in the message design menu.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Can you give really vague/unspoilery directions? I named my character Taint Reaper in hopes of acquiring this powerful weapon.

ill spoiler it anyway
shortly after spears

that's for the scythe by the way

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I'm sure this will be buried in no time, but maybe relevant to people's interests here:

https://www.facebook.com/steamforgedgames/photos/a.686384921400806.1073741825.333902433315725/1073816725990955/?type=3&theater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Soho Joe posted:

What in the gently caress, intro area the first boss

Holy poo poo. Holy holy poo poo.

"Huh, even as Deprived this is going pretty well, guess I'm learning how to roll-

WAIT WHAT gently caress"