Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Chillyrabbit posted:

Thanks!

It's just a little overwhelming to start managing my own money, especially since I'm not sure which features are ideal for a person of my financial position. And with the over abundance of Credit unions, banks, and those online only banks like tangerine and PC, I never even thought of those as options.

Looks like I'll get my initial bank balance in order, then start shoveling as much money as I can into a TFSA account, since I have about 5 years of TFSA contributions to catch up to.

Hopefully by then I'll learn more about money along the way, and then work on the investing strategies that you guys have been talking about the last couple of pages. ETF's and TD e-series

Not a problem. My own finances are somewhat similar to yours, I'm just 2 years into it now. It did take some time to learn, but looking back now it seems so simple. My next fun thing to learn will be buying a house. I am not looking forward to navigating that mess of potential disasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Golluk posted:

Do a bit of reading here http://canadiancouchpotato.com/couch-potato-faq/

The way I see it, you're constantly losing contribution room with those high fees (MER), compared to being in ETF's or index funds with reasonable fees. If it's TFSA, I'd sell and withdraw the cash. You'll get contribution room back equal to what you took out the following January. If any was in RRSP, you'll need to look into a transfer in kind. The bank or institution you're moving to will be glad to help with this.

If you really don't want to worry about things, Tangerine's TFSA fund is the simplest. Put money in, and that's it. MER is 1%

Next up is TD e-series. A bit more involved, but still simple enough. Usually done by going into a branch, opening a TFSA mutual fund account, then having it converted to an e-series mutual fund account. Or directly opening up a TD waterhouse self directed TFSA account. The later has a $25 annual fee for balances below 25K. You'll need to purchase shares of the funds yourself, in the desired ratio, but now your MER is down to ~0.5%.
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/investing/mutual-funds/td-eseries-funds.jsp#what-is-it

The end game, is ETF. ETF funds are very similar to the e-series, but carry much lower fee's. 0.25% is a high MER when it comes to ETF. You buy these through an online broker such as quest trade. It used to be recommended for higher balances, when it was more common to pay $10 per purchase. Now it's common for the purchase to be free, and only charged on the sale, making it much closer to the e-series.

Once it's set up, it's very simple to handle your own investments. The hardest part is keeping the discipline to stick with it through those inevitable down times, keeping to your ratio's, and regular contributions. Much easier if you think of them as stock sales. Your new contributions are getting you that many more shares for the same dollar.

Thank you for the advice. I have an appointment set first thing Wednesday morning with my 'financial advisor' to sell out the mutual funds - or as she put it in the appointment booking correspondence, to "address my concerns" (ie: go through a rigamarole of account retention bullshit).

Once I sell out, does the money goes back into my chequing account? Or does it stay in my Coast Capital TFSA account? Or is that a choice I can make?

In any case, it looks like the next step is to open up a TFSA account somewhere else, and possibly just change banking institutions altogether. As much as I like Coast Capital Savings in Vancouver, it would certainly be a lot easier for all my acounts to be in the same place. Handling my own investments is still a very daunting and intimidating prospect, so it looks like I have to make a choice between setting things to auto with Tangerine for a bit more costs, or taking the iniative and learning how to do this myself.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Tipps posted:

it would certainly be a lot easier for all my acounts to be in the same place.

If you're anything like me, it also makes it easier to remove money from your savings to pay off your Visa, or top up the chequing account to cover the last $150 of your rent cheque. I ended up unable to save much until I switched to using Questrade for my savings, and completely separating savings from chequing. It's still dead easy to transfer between the accounts, but in the case of going Savings --> Chequing, it takes a couple days and costs a few bucks. I've managed to never sell any shares of my ETFs since switching to Questrade. When I was using Tangerine funds, my TFSA contribution/withdrawl summary is like 20 pages long, $200 in, $175 out, $300 in, $200 out, etc.

There's also something to be said for not seeing your savings account balance daily when you check your chequing balance.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 11, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm a Canadian living in the US (4+ years), and thinking about returning to Canada. I'd like to figure out what shape my credit is in after the time away, but I haven't figured out how to get a credit score as a non-resident. Both Equifax and TransUnion want CCs with Canadian billing addresses, as far as I can tell.

Is there another avenue for this stuff?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Jan posted:

That is what they told me on the phone, yeah. I could switch to TD Waterhouse and not have arbitrary constraints. But since my wealth at the time was perfectly spread between my TFSA and my RRSP, neither of which reached the minimum balance to avoid TD Waterhouse fees, I opted for just plain TD Investment Services.

I had to try explaining to a phone operator that I consider investing in indexed equity funds to be far safer than investing in specific equities, hence my "contradiction" in my answers to their little robot questionnaire. She was just doing her job, but never have I been closer to being un-Canadian and getting angry at a customer service operator. I just said I'd take an appointment with my branch counselor (which is supposed to be against ~e-series~ policy?), promptly looked into ETFs and wondered why I didn't do it in the first place.

I didn't even make it that far in the process, they wouldn't let me open an account because ???

Just do questrade.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Oh! And if that wasn't enough, I have been unable to access my TD EasyWeb for a few days now, it just tells me to call in. Good thing I only have an initial $500 parked in there that I don't care enough about to liquidate ahead of the 90-day penalty.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If you guys don't want to go in branch why are you even bothering with TD? Don't even call them just walk to a branch and they will open all the accounts you want in 30-45 minutes if you have the paperwork.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jm20 posted:

30-45 minutes

look at this millennial

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

jm20 posted:

If you guys don't want to go in branch why are you even bothering with TD?

Because that's the way they tell their e-Series clients to do business? :confused:

https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/document/PDF/mutualfunds/tdeseriesfunds/tdct-mutualfunds-tdeseriesfunds-convertaccount.pdf posted:

• I hereby acknowledge and consent to the following items and
conditions of the TD e-Series Funds Account:
• I agree to register for TD Canada Trust EasyWeb (if I have not
already done so), or any other service or delivery channel as TDIS
may advise in the future, and hereby accept the Terms and
Conditions for Mutual Funds accounts on EasyWeb.
• The TD e-Series Funds Account is electronic only, and I shall
manage my account and correspond with TDIS exclusively via
electronic means through TD Canada Trust EasyWeb and email,
except as indicated below.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I'm a Canadian living in the US (4+ years), and thinking about returning to Canada. I'd like to figure out what shape my credit is in after the time away, but I haven't figured out how to get a credit score as a non-resident. Both Equifax and TransUnion want CCs with Canadian billing addresses, as far as I can tell.

Is there another avenue for this stuff?

Did you have any active Canadian accounts? I am moving back to Canada after four years in the US and still have a decent beacon score. That said, I was in the US for work and had an open bank account I transferred money to sometimes. The mortgage broker on the phone running my credit said he could pull my US one and take it as equivalent if needed, so it sounds like that might be an option.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

look at this millennial

Did you facetime your mortgage broker too?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Guest2553 posted:

Did you have any active Canadian accounts? I am moving back to Canada after four years in the US and still have a decent beacon score. That said, I was in the US for work and had an open bank account I transferred money to sometimes. The mortgage broker on the phone running my credit said he could pull my US one and take it as equivalent if needed, so it sounds like that might be an option.

Yeah, have semi-active chequing account (open, but only a few transactions/year bouncing money to relatives or such) and some investment accounts. My US score isn't great because I underuse credit, but it might be better than nothing.

How did you find out your score? Do you have a Canadian billing address for a card? I could change the billing address for a card to be a Canadian friend's, I guess, but blech.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

jm20 posted:

Did you facetime your mortgage broker too?

Wow

Look at this guy he never heard of snapchat

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Golluk posted:

For credit cards, my personal preference at the moment is Tangerine Mastercard. No fee's, decent website, 2% cash back in up to 3 categories that are rather broad, 1% in everything else, and it automatically goes against your balance each month. I'd also get an Amazon Visa for a back up/online US purchase card. It has low currency exchange fees, 1% cashback on everything, and again, no annual fees. Either way, just make sure you always pay off the balance due each month. 20% annual interest is no joke.

Is the tangerine card the new favorite over the MBNA smart cash? I need to call and yell at MBNA since I haven't gotten a cheque from them in months, so I would definitely be open to switching.

poo poo, just having the credit go directly on the card vs getting a cheque in the mail seems like it makes switching worth it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
You can have the MBNA auto deposit to your bank account when it hits $50.

But I cancelled mine since I use the Tanerine one and my MBNA kept getting compromised and they don't offer a text or email alert for activity.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is the tangerine card the new favorite over the MBNA smart cash? I need to call and yell at MBNA since I haven't gotten a cheque from them in months, so I would definitely be open to switching.

poo poo, just having the credit go directly on the card vs getting a cheque in the mail seems like it makes switching worth it.

To me, yes. I bank with Tangerine, which makes it really easy to check stuff in one place. You can set up an automatic bill payment for your balance and go hog wild with it. Being able to select the categories where 2% cashback is offered is great (wasn't getting much back from gassing up my motorcycle) and getting a third selection just for directing the rewards cash to my savings account is icing on the cake.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I was like, "Didn't Tangerine put new credit card applications on hold? What's up with everyone recommending it?"... So I checked Tangerine.

Oh, okay. :v:

I guess I might as well, it's slightly better than the Amazon rewards card which I only got for forex fees.

Jan fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 12, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
It's 4% cash back for the next few months for me.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I've heard people mention that sometimes Questrade will offer a promo or reduce their $25,000 requirement for waiving the fee when transferring a registered account to them. How often does this happen and how low does it go?

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
It took more than an hour of waiting around, completing paperwork , and dealing with their retention pitches ("the market will rebound", "if you're in it for the long run, you won't notice", "these fees are actually very low compared to other banks", etc.), but I finally got my savings out of the 2% MER mutual funds and back into my plain TFSA. It will take a few days for the transfer to complete, but once it's done I will look into either opening up a 1% MER Tangerine index funds TFSA account, or opening an account with TD for their e-series once I have done enough research to make the crippling anxiety about doing this myself go away.

Thanks CanFin thread.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tipps posted:

It took more than an hour of waiting around, completing paperwork , and dealing with their retention pitches ("the market will rebound", "if you're in it for the long run, you won't notice", "these fees are actually very low compared to other banks", etc.), but I finally got my savings out of the 2% MER mutual funds and back into my plain TFSA. It will take a few days for the transfer to complete, but once it's done I will look into either opening up a 1% MER Tangerine index funds TFSA account, or opening an account with TD for their e-series once I have done enough research to make the crippling anxiety about doing this myself go away.

Thanks CanFin thread.

Congrats, I'm really excited to do this. If you go TD though get ready for having absolutely no way to understand what your funds are doing. Are they up? Down? Who knows, because the reports they give you are absolutely useless and you apparently need to create your own excel sheet with a bunch of formulas to track anything.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Seriously. gently caress TD. Their Indexed Funds website is horrible Web 1.0 garbage that does not need encouragement.

And I still have no EasyWeb access even after calling them as the website says, "we have no indication of this card ever existing! please visit a branch!".

Do I even need to visit a branch/have EasyWeb to transfer poo poo out? I might just eat the 2% early liquidation fee if it meant not having my money in their hands any longer.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, have semi-active chequing account (open, but only a few transactions/year bouncing money to relatives or such) and some investment accounts. My US score isn't great because I underuse credit, but it might be better than nothing.

How did you find out your score? Do you have a Canadian billing address for a card? I could change the billing address for a card to be a Canadian friend's, I guess, but blech.

A mortgage broker did one over the phone as part of a preapproval check so it didn't cost me anything :v: I don't know what my US score is because it didn't come to that, but the broker made it sound like he could do it the same way. The credit card was issued just before I left and by the time it expires I'll be in Canada. No clue if they would have renewed it had I asked.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Jan posted:

Seriously. gently caress TD. Their Indexed Funds website is horrible Web 1.0 garbage that does not need encouragement.

And I still have no EasyWeb access even after calling them as the website says, "we have no indication of this card ever existing! please visit a branch!".

Do I even need to visit a branch/have EasyWeb to transfer poo poo out? I might just eat the 2% early liquidation fee if it meant not having my money in their hands any longer.

I just went to TD because they are light years ahead of the other banks for management

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jan posted:

When the message tells you to visit a branch what did you think was going to happen when you called them?

The branch is where they physically have all the access cards that they can assign you and then link up to your account.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

HookShot posted:

When the message tells you to visit a branch

:what:

It's been a recurring pattern, even for the so-called "online and e-mail only" e-Series. Contact digitally, get redirected to phone. Call phone, get redirected to branch.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
:justpost: about it and don't bother correcting the issue in your real life.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

jm20 posted:

:justpost: about it and don't bother correcting the issue in your real life.

See, the wonderful thing about online services is you don't need to allocate time in your day to physically visit a branch. So pardon me for thinking an online service that constantly asks me to visit a branch is rather flawed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jan posted:

:what:

It's been a recurring pattern, even for the so-called "online and e-mail only" e-Series. Contact digitally, get redirected to phone. Call phone, get redirected to branch.

Jan posted:

the website says, "we have no indication of this card ever existing! please visit a branch!".

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Jan posted:

See, the wonderful thing about online services is you don't need to allocate time in your day to physically visit a branch. So pardon me for thinking an online service that constantly asks me to visit a branch is rather flawed.

It does strike me as a bit silly. I've had the website down for maintenance the occasional Sunday evening. But then I'm not day trading with this. At most I'm logging in once a month. Personally I haven't had any issues with them, but I know others have.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't suppose anyone knows of a good Excel formula/snippet for calculating Canadian income tax? I just want "total after tax for Ontario with personal exemption amounts", everything as simple income. It should work in Google Docs. I found one for 2009 but it's a big messy form, and I want a way to apply it to a bunch of places in a sheet. Basically the EY calculator for excel.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Not what you asked for but would the simpletax.CA/calculator work for you?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Golluk posted:

It does strike me as a bit silly. I've had the website down for maintenance the occasional Sunday evening. But then I'm not day trading with this. At most I'm logging in once a month.

That is what I wanted to do, but they do seem to make it very complicated to make it that simple. :(

I knew what I was getting into, there's plenty of advice out there making it clear how complicated TD makes it to open e-Series by virtue of apparently no one knowing what it actually is, and that they might even actively advise me against it. I was willing to jump through the required hoops, but being told I couldn't purchase the funds I wanted was too much for me. Even if I redid the questionaire on purpose to have a 100% equity profile, who's to say they wouldn't then block me from doing, say, 40% fixed income/60% equities?

Anyway, enough ranting and negativity, transferring to Questrade's been going smoothly so far, I'll do a writeup when the dust settles.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Jan posted:

... Even if I redid the questionaire on purpose to have a 100% equity profile, who's to say they wouldn't then block me from doing, say, 40% fixed income/60% equities?

Anyway, enough ranting and negativity, transferring to Questrade's been going smoothly so far, I'll do a writeup when the dust settles.

Yeah, that sort of restriction in supposed to prevent the horror stories of GTAT like investments. I'll be interested to read on your move to Questtrade.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Scanning the thread it seems like Questrade is what a lot of people are using. I've been using TD Waterhouse forever because I bank at TD and I'm lazy. Is there any good reason that I should switch? Has anyone used both? TD just refreshed their site and the usability is much better.

The globe put out an article comparing all of them but it's pretty light on details http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/online-broker-rankings/the-globe-and-mails-17th-annual-online-broker-ranking/article27571960/

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Comes down to MER. Going with Couch potato portfolios, ETF MER are roughly %.15 to %.19. While e-series are 0.41% to 0.49%. I think e-series are just a bit easier on the side that it can be with your same bank (if your with TD), and there is a branch you can go into even if they say they aren't supposed to help you. That MER difference means on 50k invested, ETF might cost you $75 a year in fees. While e-series would be closer to $245. I really feel like TD should lower their MER on e-series to be a bit more competitive with ETF funds, but I suspect they'd rather just push high MER fee's on the ignorant.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 15, 2016

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Golluk posted:

Comes down to MER. Going with Couch potato portfolios, ETF MER are roughly %.15 to %.19. While e-series are 0.41% to 0.49%. I think e-series are just a bit easier on the side that it can be with your same bank (if your with TD), and there is a branch you can go into even if they say they aren't supposed to help you. That MER difference means on 50k invested, ETF might cost you $75 a year in fees. While e-series would be closer to $245. I really feel like TD should lower their MER on e-series to be a bit more competitive with ETF funds, but I suspect they'd rather just push high MER fee's on the ignorant.

Oh sorry I meant using TD Waterhouse just as a discount broker, using it in the same way as Questrade. In both cases the user would be buying some vanguard ETF. I'm wondering if there's any significant difference in usability or fees.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I think the major difference is that with Questrade it's free to buy ETFs. It costs to sell, though.

I imagine with Waterhouse, it costs to both buy and sell.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mantle posted:

Not what you asked for but would the simpletax.CA/calculator work for you?

No, I have an existing spreadsheet that spits out "pre-tax income" in a bunch of places, and I want to add cells that show after-tax income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Subjunctive posted:

No, I have an existing spreadsheet that spits out "pre-tax income" in a bunch of places, and I want to add cells that show after-tax income.

I'm not sure how complicated you want it to be, but this might help:
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...uHEt41xiSGTNP_Q

The tax rates are old but could be updated. It walks you through step by step how you would calculate tax and shows you the formulas.