Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

muggins posted:

Yeah that's definitely where I saw it. I don't know like how bad it is that I enjoy World War II gaming the East Front where they corduroy roads with bodies and poo poo but a colonialism game set in DARKEST AFRICA makes me wince

It's pretty different.

In WWII, both sides were belligerents, in Africa, it was colonial conquest for no other reason than "subjugating the savages." And it's completely unbalanced, unlike the Eastern Front where both sides were at least close in terms of war technology.

E: Reading the article now, it actually doesn't sound so awful. It's more about adventures on the Congo than subjugating a people.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So is it the technical levela that decide how morally acceptable the game is? Because when you play SAGA, you're always dealing with incaders who are there to plunder and subjugate folks.

And then you get to the crusades...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It may be the racially-motivated part, although that would apply to the Eastern Front, too.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I don't know about you guys, but I view anyone whose first choice for a WW2 army is Waffen SS as pretty fuckin sketchy.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I don't have a clear set moral standpoint that I can objectively use to say what I would play or not.

But I have a clear gut feeling that says "no, I will not go there thank you very much". And that's enough for me.

If anything, I have gotten more hesitant as I grow older.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

From the website/blog: http://blog.studio-tomahawk.com/2015/03/congo_31.html

quote:

Congo offers you the unique opportunity to take part to the exploration of this country, before the private companies and military forces arrive to plunder and wreak havoc. It’s a time when explorers, adventurers and scientists decided to risk their life and reputation to chart the uncharted, unveil mysteries and myths, and faced the natives and the terrible North African slavers.

I mean there's still racism going on at that time, I'm sure the white explorers didn't look at the natives as equals, but the factions themselves are, at least.

I still have no interest, but that's more because that background doesn't interest me in general.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I think the more of history you study, the more the moral implications begin to trouble you.

When I had just started as an undergraduate, I was willing to delve into just about anything, but now I find that my emotional fortitude can't withstand some things without becoming intensely upset.

Where before I was willing to give anything a go, these days I wouldn't even contemplate playing a wargame set in the colonial Congo, the Cape Frontier Wars or even the New Zealand wars because of the really worrying context.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

For me, it's often conflicts that are recent that hits a bit too close for comfort. I know that the Punic Wars and the Roman conquest of Gallia etc. were horrible genocides, but I can paint up a Roman legion just fine. But I would not sit down, rub my hands, and play some ISIS on FAA action.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Besides, I don't think you can maximize grog/hr in this game. What's the proper shield emblem for a Congolese war party in 1872?

Endman
May 18, 2010

lilljonas posted:

For me, it's often conflicts that are recent that hits a bit too close for comfort. I know that the Punic Wars and the Roman conquest of Gallia etc. were horrible genocides, but I can paint up a Roman legion just fine. But I would not sit down, rub my hands, and play some ISIS on FAA action.

I think the fact that colonial conflicts in particular rub me the wrong way is because we're still very much dealing with that stuff today down here in Van Diemen's Land.

I think every wargamer has to find that invisible line for themselves, however, and I wouldn't necessarily say that someone who enjoyed those games was automatically a bad person. (Except probably the aforementioned theoretical SS fetishist)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Besides, I don't think you can maximize grog/hr in this game. What's the proper shield emblem for a Congolese war party in 1872?

*monocle plops out*
"By Jove, there's not even a proper OoB for this clash!"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The only moral qualms I ever have is when thinking about playing Soviets in FoW because of occupation of Lithuania. Luckily I'm too pleb to ever play have enought money for that.

No problem with playing them from T-55 - onwards for some reason.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

For me (and this applies to reenacting, too), I just really like killing Nazis. That overrides any moral issues I have with the commies.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The colonial stuff has always been interesting to me though thats probably because I received my masters in history studying the French colonial empire, mainly Algeria (max grog here).

There are some decent games that either go over the combat or just the ills of colonialism pretty well. The best, which is not a wargame just fyi, is "Dog Eat Dog": http://liwanagpress.com/dog-eat-dog/

For an actual wargame that is pretty good check out "The Herero War." The guy who wrote it, who is an ethnic Herero, did a lot of primary source research and playtesting. The scenarios are pretty balanced and entertaining and use more or less the Sword and the Flame rules: http://hererowars.com/the-herero-war-book-is-now/

I've wanted to write a scenario book for ages covering the Kabyles vs the Ottomans and the French. They held out conquest for ages in the Djuradjura mountains in N. Algeria, and were able to fend off colonizers repeatedly until the French were finally able to wheel artillery up there in the late 1850s. The Taureg in southern Algeria would be interesting as well but for totally different reasons.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 11, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So I'll bite, what does 'grog/HR' mean? heal rate? heart rate? hit rule?

And for a bit of market research, I'm just curious what you guys think when you hear the word 'omega' in relation to wargaming. I think it can apply to modern and sci-fi settings just fine, but does it fit (or is it generic enough) for historical settings as well?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Grog per hour.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Endman posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I view anyone whose first choice for a WW2 army is Waffen SS as pretty fuckin sketchy.

Same. TBH whenever I do Historicals I have to remind myself that the couple of dudes at the shop who are really into the nazi aesthetic are the avoidable outliers and most of the people with those armies just like their rules the best or think they have cool tanks.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
To be honest, I had some moral qualms about playing Waffen SS - but then I remembered that it's just a game. I'm playing miniature soldiers against other miniature soldiers.

Same thing with this Congo thing: it sounds like an adventure pulp miniatures game and not a historical game. This is something that you'd raid Bob Murch' pulp miniatures website over.

Morally I'm awfully flexible, but that might be due to my education (History & Philosophy) - I'd even want to say that there could be an educational benefit of playing games set in morally questionable times. Then again, as long as you're not a card carrying member of the nazi party or new aryan race, or whatever else there is on either the extreme left or extreme right scale of the political line, you'll probably be OK with playing Waffen SS or Belgium in the Congo.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I don't know if I ever wanted to play SS (I might have, at some point), but now I'm all for Shutzen and Panzer III. But then again I'm the idiot who will find the trash mobbbiest army to play, then be dissatisfied once it falls apart/dies out around him. The first FoW army I wanted to play was the Stalingrad worker militia.

I still want a tiny BA force of regulars and one Tiger I

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Brits often seem to think of Napoleon as the big bad, but compared to contemporary UK, and especially their army, it's like I'm playing the good guys. Neener neener.

I have no excuse for my eastern front Germans though. They're not SS, but holy crap did Heer formations do poo poo things in Ukraine as well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you're even slightly concerned that playing Waffen SS might be weird or uncomfortable to someone else, you're almost certainly not the kind of person who shouldn't be playing them.

Using them as an icebreaker to discuss the clean wehrmacht, well actually Stalin was worse than Hitler, or how Hitler actually did right by the German people? Get hosed and gently caress off.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

lilljonas posted:

Brits often seem to think of Napoleon as the big bad, but compared to contemporary UK, and especially their army, it's like I'm playing the good guys.

Look, only Britain stood up to the expansionist French for the whole war. We were fighting for democracy and against the dreaded imperialism!

Wait? I got that the wrong way round? Well, it's the bloody French! That automatically puts us in the right.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

JcDent posted:

I still want a tiny BA force of regulars and one Tiger I

You could do a Last Levy list with all kinds of wacky odds and sods. Volkssturm, Hitler Jugend, etc. Warlord even sells Luftwaffe auxiliaries and a Kriegsmarine crew with extremely powerful beards and cool hats.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Kriegsmarine vs Naval Infantry Brigade are the coolest things.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Polikarpov posted:

You could do a Last Levy list with all kinds of wacky odds and sods. Volkssturm, Hitler Jugend, etc. Warlord even sells Luftwaffe auxiliaries and a Kriegsmarine crew with extremely powerful beards and cool hats.

I'd like to play my army at the time when it wasn't losing decisively. Absolutely badass minis, tho! Warlord knows how to put out quality stuff. Except for their Chevy truck, the one that BF makes at 15mm is much cuter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd almost feel vaguely bad about the Congo project I embarked upon a while back but TBH the only reason it happened is that Revell re-released the old Matchbox Paras for a friend to use as European mercenaries supporting the Katangan seccesion and us realising that the lovely underscale Revell re-release of the old Matchbox WWII British Infantry with a made-up bazooka-style AT weapon were totally equipped correctly for Irish peacekeepers in 1961.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

:negative:

I finally did it. Finally broke down and bought Saga, a 4 Pt. Viking Army, and a 4 Pt. Irish Army. Now to wait for the leather Irish boat to sail across the Atlantic and deliver it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yooper posted:

:negative:

I finally did it. Finally broke down and bought Saga, a 4 Pt. Viking Army, and a 4 Pt. Irish Army. Now to wait for the leather Irish boat to sail across the Atlantic and deliver it.

Viking starter-upper buddy! :hfive:

Dark Age Warriors (GB-GBP03)
Quantity: 1
French Napoleonic Dragoons 1812-1815 (PERRY-FN130)
French Napoleonic Line Infantry 1812-1815 (PERRY-FN100)
Viking Hirdmen (GB-GBP01)

Wait a minute, some of those are not Vikings at all!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
SAGA is so much fun

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Are we posting our starter army purchases?

US Army HQ (Winter)
US Army Forward Observer Team (Winter)

4x US Army Infantry Squad in Winter Clothing
US Army Bazooka and Sniper Teams (Winter)
US Army Flamethrower and Light Mortar Teams (Winter)
US Army Medium Mortar (Winter)

M8/M20 Greyhound Scout Car (Plastic Box)
M24 Chafee, Light US Tank
M4 Sherman, Medium US Tank

Ran me $150 shipped. Gonna play all the Bolt Action and Chain of Command, all of it.

I think I'm going to model them as the 9th Armored Division but IDK yet.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

Are we posting our starter army purchases?

US Army HQ (Winter)
US Army Forward Observer Team (Winter)

4x US Army Infantry Squad in Winter Clothing
US Army Bazooka and Sniper Teams (Winter)
US Army Flamethrower and Light Mortar Teams (Winter)
US Army Medium Mortar (Winter)

M8/M20 Greyhound Scout Car (Plastic Box)
M24 Chafee, Light US Tank
M4 Sherman, Medium US Tank

Ran me $150 shipped. Gonna play all the Bolt Action and Chain of Command, all of it.

I think I'm going to model them as the 9th Armored Division but IDK yet.

I'm pretty jealous; the new winter US Army models are pretty great.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

muggins posted:

SAGA is so much fun

It really is.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
What's more fun: Dark Age SAGA or Crescent & Cross?

Also, didn't Bad Squiddo Games have soviet female figures? I want to have some ladies in my Soviet Bolt Action forces. Can't find them on her website anymore.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They're on preorder, it looks like a new line.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Dear Historicals thread,

This past weekend, someone who I thought was my "friend" introduced me to Chain of Command. Now, for the first time in my life I'm idly browsing for WWII minis and contemplating giving Too Fat Lardies some of my hard-earned money.

Is it already too late for me?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ilor posted:

Dear Historicals thread,

This past weekend, someone who I thought was my "friend" introduced me to Chain of Command. Now, for the first time in my life I'm idly browsing for WWII minis and contemplating giving Too Fat Lardies some of my hard-earned money.

yessssssssss

Now please move next to my house so someone else plays within a light year of me :smith:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ilor posted:

Dear Historicals thread,

There's never been a better time to get into historicals IMO, there's a wealth of insanely good models out there. RIP your wallet and free time.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well your wallet should be okay, actually, since historicals are usually cheaper.

Until you realize you need to collect every era in every scale, and then....

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

There are a bunch of lardie players here, so don't be afraid to put on a pair of suspenders and post about your descent into buying resin kits of obscure French tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm a filthy heretic who's jotting notes for a sci fi CoC houserule set :ohdear: