Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Permission issue?

I'll have to mess with it some more but it could be. I've never played with Marshmallow before this. It's weird though because this is on a brand new 6P. I haven't messed with permissions really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Skeezy posted:

I'll have to mess with it some more but it could be. I've never played with Marshmallow before this. It's weird though because this is on a brand new 6P. I haven't messed with permissions really.

Its possible you missed a pop up asking for permission and it defaulted to no?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Its possible you missed a pop up asking for permission and it defaulted to no?

Absolutely possible. I'll check it when I get home.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really wanna try this but it says it's not available for my device (brand new S7) :|

When i go to the Galaxy App store, it says its already installed. Ive never heard of it before.

Edit: The Galaxy Apps page said it needed an update, upon updating it forced a restart and is now working. So far it looks really good, but im gonna test it out further.

Its very slick. My only gripe is that it has its own purple color scheme and doesnt follow the colors from the Theme i chose through Samsung Themes. Im sure it will get fixed eventually but overall its really nice. Very aesthetically pleasing so far.

Im on an S7 Edge.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 11, 2016

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

TollTheHounds posted:

As a note - the Priv recently got a price cut ( in Canada at least ) by $100. I can't help myself so since I have a free upgrade waiting for me and nothing else this generation ( other than maybe the G5 ) is appealing, I pulled the trigger.

I will post a trip report in a week or so if anyone cares, once I get it in hand and have had a chance to configure it.

Yes sir, I am interested :allears:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really wanna try this but it says it's not available for my device (brand new S7) :|

Exact same error message for me here. I've got an Australian S7 Edge.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Exact same error message for me here. I've got an Australian S7 Edge.

Canadian S7 here, SM-930W8. I guess this is yet another thing that non-Americans are nonsensically and retardedly locked out of.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Canadian S7 here, SM-930W8. I guess this is yet another thing that non-Americans are nonsensically and retardedly locked out of.

Well, on the app page for Good Lock, it says "This is a beta for now and your feedback will be used to make Good Lock better!"

But, it has a few flaws. 2 i detailed earlier and and the 3rd is that it sucks battery life pretty quickly. I charged my phone before my 5 hour shift at work, used the phone for a few basic things and the battery is sitting at 63%. Considering without Good Lock i was getting about 2 full days between charges, this is a pretty serious flaw.

Edit: Seems samsung is taking feedback seriously on it as well. Someones responding to a lot of the feedback stuff. They really need to remove the 140 character limit on the Galaxy Apps store.

Also, im an idiot, only had 1 flaw listed prior. The second one is that the quick settings for things like NFC, Smart Stay, Smart Scroll are not there. Its limited to Wifi, Data, Location, and a few misc things.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 12, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The HTC 10 is now officially announced.

Here are some hands-ons:
Engadget
The Verge
Ars
Anandtech
Android Central

There are several things interesting about it. It's the first Android phone with Apple AirPlay streaming. The rear camera achieved the same DXOMark score as the Galaxy S7. It has an interesting translucent case. The Sense UI has been toned way down, much closer to stock Android, and HTC included stock Google apps instead of a bunch of HTC stuff (interestingly, Google Photos now works directly with HTC's camera app, with Photos displaying RAW and Zoe files) -- although there are still HTC SMS and Email apps included. Apparently it is so much NOT shitted up with bloat that AT&T is refusing to sell it -- although unlike Samsung, HTC is going to make a clean unlocked version available for direct sale.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've read the first looks and this looks like a really nice device. A shame there's no Qi charging but QC 3.0 is a pretty nice tradeoff.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I've read the first looks and this looks like a really nice device. A shame there's no Qi charging but QC 3.0 is a pretty nice tradeoff.

I was just about to make this post.

I mean, I won't buy it, largely because of how bad HTC has been at customer service recently, but I won't think someone is subhuman if they buy it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

HTC actually removing redundant apps in favor of the Google ones is kinda cool. It looks like a good phone but not anything I would ditch my 6P for.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

At the very least, it's hopefully a good harbinger for when HTC starts making the next Nexus phones.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
So it's an S7 without waterproof and with Type C? Good specs I guess.

I don't like the way it looks at all though. The back screams M9, which just reminds me of how HTC was so proud to literally clone the iPhone 6 a year ago.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I mean, I won't buy it, largely because of how bad HTC has been at customer service recently, but I won't think someone is subhuman if they buy it.

Could you clarify this a bit? I don't know the history HTC has with customer service and I'm really interested in this phone. From everything I'm seeing this looks ridiculously good compared to the S7 which I wouldn't consider with a gun to my head.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

this looks ridiculously good compared to the S7

What. It's basically just this post right above.

quote:

So it's an S7 without waterproof and with Type C? Good specs I guess.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

What. It's basically just this post right above.

What does that have to do with what I asked?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

What does that have to do with what I asked?

It doesn't? It has to do with another part of your post?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Good lock sucks. It's buggy garbage. Sometimes it won't even let you bring down the shade

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

It doesn't? It has to do with another part of your post?

No it doesn't. I'm not going to touch an S7 because of touchwiz and the way Samsung designs its phones. I don't want an all glass phone. I don't want anything to do with Samsung because every product I've ever owned from them has been awful. That has nothing to do with the comment about customer service.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

On Terra Firma posted:

Could you clarify this a bit?

We had a poster in this thread for awhile who worked at HTC. After he quit working there, he shared stories about HTC shipping out warranty-repaired devices in worse condition than they received them along with other stuff that I don't remember the exact details of. There's also lots of complaints about the same thing all over the internet.

Of course, this kind of stuff is always kind of vague and nebulous. Did they just have a bad quarter one time with one of their subcontractors? Are they actually worse than some other OEM? Hard to say without stats. Are people just piling on with made up stories? Dunno.

It's enough to make me shy away from them because there's plenty of other options and the HTC 10, while a seemingly good phone, doesn't look good enough to outweigh the negative anecdotes to me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

No it doesn't. I'm not going to touch an S7 because of touchwiz and the way Samsung designs its phones. I don't want an all glass phone. I don't want anything to do with Samsung because every product I've ever owned from them has been awful. That has nothing to do with the comment about customer service.

I was pointing out how something you posted was objectively wrong. The HTC customer service thing was unrelated, you posted multiple different things. Why are you so agitated about this? Where on the doll did Samsung touch you?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I was pointing out how something you posted was objectively wrong. The HTC customer service thing was unrelated, you posted multiple different things. Why are you so agitated about this? Where on the doll did Samsung touch you?

There was nothing that I posted that was objectively wrong. My opinion about a manufacturer isn't "wrong". I had a few galaxy phones and all of them were terrible (an earlier galaxy model, an S3, then my girlfriend had an S4). They didn't perform well at all and the extra poo poo they heaped on with touchwiz was obnoxious. As I also stated, I really do not like the design of the S7.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

There was nothing that I posted that was objectively wrong. My opinion about a manufacturer isn't "wrong". I had a few galaxy phones and all of them were terrible (an earlier galaxy model, an S3, then my girlfriend had an S4). They didn't perform well at all and the extra poo poo they heaped on with touchwiz was obnoxious. As I also stated, I really do not like the design of the S7.

Touchwiz on the S3 is literally nothing like Touchwiz on the S7. And that part wasn't comparing manufacturers, it was specifically comparing the HTC 10 to the S7. This is absolutely retarded to argue semantics like this.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is absolutely retarded to argue semantics like this.

Then don't?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thermopyle posted:

We had a poster in this thread for awhile who worked at HTC. After he quit working there, he shared stories about HTC shipping out warranty-repaired devices in worse condition than they received them along with other stuff that I don't remember the exact details of. There's also lots of complaints about the same thing all over the internet.

Of course, this kind of stuff is always kind of vague and nebulous. Did they just have a bad quarter one time with one of their subcontractors? Are they actually worse than some other OEM? Hard to say without stats. Are people just piling on with made up stories? Dunno.

It's enough to make me shy away from them because there's plenty of other options and the HTC 10, while a seemingly good phone, doesn't look good enough to outweigh the negative anecdotes to me.

That definitely happened to me. I babied my M7 for nearly a year, sent it in for purple camera bullshit, and got it back with a dozen swirled scratches on the screen, a dent in the glass/bumper where they pried the phone open at the volume rocker, and a deep inch-long gash into the bumper below that. Just unacceptable condition. On top of that, the replacement camera module sucked in its own new way.

If I were certain I could get a solid-built, problem-free HTC device, I'd be enthusiastic about this one, but I'd never gamble on HTC's repair service again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Touchwiz on the S3 is literally nothing like Touchwiz on the S7. And that part wasn't comparing manufacturers, it was specifically comparing the HTC 10 to the S7. This is absolutely retarded to argue semantics like this.

Not sure why you're arguing against someone saying "I've bought/used multiple products by this manufacturer and don't like the so I've learned better." That's how it's supposed to work.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Oh I almost forgot. I had a galaxy nexus for about a week. I had problems with dropped calls so I called Samsung to find out if there was a fix and the customer service rep said "Well, you should have bought a better phone." I returned it the next day.

So there's that too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

At the very least, it's hopefully a good harbinger for when HTC starts making the next Nexus phones.

I'm ready and willing to be disappointed by my next HTC Nexus phone! I've had a Galaxy Nexus (GSM) and I've dealt with a Nexus S so it will have to top those to be the worst (and in my heart my prior HTC Nexus will probably always be my favorite).

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 20, 2018

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

At least it would be googles customer service you'd be dealing with mostly

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CS, yes, repair depot no. Manufacturer still supports repairing hardware on Nexus devices. So you better hope that Google intercepts and does their own QA on refurbs (they won't, it'll be cheaper just to keep shipping you replacement devices over and over again.)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

CS, yes, repair depot no. Manufacturer still supports repairing hardware on Nexus devices. So you better hope that Google intercepts and does their own QA on refurbs (they won't, it'll be cheaper just to keep shipping you replacement devices over and over again.)
On the three occasions that I've had to return a Nexus device Google just cross-shipped me a brand new device based on my verbal description of the problem.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Great, but that's not always what they do. See Nexus 7 and Asus.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Great, but that's not always what they do. See Nexus 7 and Asus.
Two of the devices I mentioned were N7s.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tunga posted:

On the three occasions that I've had to return a Nexus device Google just cross-shipped me a brand new device based on my verbal description of the problem.

I wish Google would open storefronts so you could swap out in person.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

HTC 10 chat:

Get $100 off when you preorder an unlocked HTC 10.

The unlocked HTC 10 has an unlockable bootloader and you are still covered under warranty if you unlock your bootloader.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

Two of the devices I mentioned were N7s.

What can I say, you got lucky. Others haven't been so lucky. Google is always quick to point out such cross shipping is a goodwill gesture and not everyone has it extended to them.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rastor posted:

HTC 10 chat:

Get $100 off when you preorder an unlocked HTC 10.

Better yet, order a few months after release and you'll most likely get $200-300 off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Better yet, order a few months after release and you'll most likely get $200-300 off!

July 2016: $399 on Swappa, new in box.