Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Warbird posted:

I got Belle some meds for her anxiety when I got her spayed a week ago, but they aren't having any effect; hooray. Well, that's not entirely true, they (or the painkillers) have apparently thrown her digestive system into flux as she seems to have forgotten all about not peeing inside and even crapped on the floor twice the other day. Love this pup, but good lord.

Time to call Caesar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I love this dog, but I am starting to realize she is really, really dumb. Three weeks of trying to teach her "down," and she just looks at me quizzically. If a treat is in my hand, she sits. If I try to teach her anything other than "sit" or "shake," she looks at me, SITS, then SHAKES, then stares at me like "I did my tricks! What else do you want?" Yesterday I had a treat in hand and sat on the couch with her brush. I called to her and patted my lap. She put her front paws up on my knees and stared at the treat, seemingly unable to figure out "I have to back away a step in order to jump up to the couch" when "TREAT TREAT TREAT" was already in her brain. Eventually I had to tell her to sit, and THEN she jumped up and got the treat. She stares at the window and watches cars go by, but seems to have no concept that when we go outside, we might be among the things she can see out there. I have come home to see her staring out the window, but she pays no attention to us arriving and walking up to the house.

Also, if you try to fake her out when throwing a toy for her to fetch, she falls for it every time. (Also? She doesn't get "fetch" or "go get it" and doesn't seem to understand that she needs to bring the toy TO you in order to get you to throw it again. She just wanders off with it.)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

She doesn't sound dumb. She just sounds untrained. Break down the behaviours you're asking for more. You're lumping things together, which results in her failing more often than succeeding. If your dog isn't right at least 80% of the time while working with it, you're doing something wrong. (The best dog training allows for the dog to be correct 90-100% of the time.)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

In further dog training news (and because we lack a random nonsense thread so I'm posting it here), I did a thing with my dog. Good dog, Cohen.

This video is gonna play in theatres before the trailers. <3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axQhpQWzfIM

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

a life less posted:

She doesn't sound dumb. She just sounds untrained. Break down the behaviours you're asking for more. You're lumping things together, which results in her failing more often than succeeding. If your dog isn't right at least 80% of the time while working with it, you're doing something wrong. (The best dog training allows for the dog to be correct 90-100% of the time.)

No, I'm just summarizing the funny bits. We've worked quite a bit on simpler things (mostly, my boyfriend, who has experience training dogs, has been trying patiently to teach her "down") and she just stares quizzically. She hasn't done it successfully even once.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
maybe she's more into like, math? have you tried calculus

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
if she hasnt gotten it right even once, theres something seriously wrong about the way youre teaching it

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Ausrotten posted:

if she hasnt gotten it right even once, theres something seriously wrong about the way youre teaching it
Probably, but it's the stuff my boyfriend learned from the local dog training person who's supposed to be the expert. Hold the treat, get her interest, and try to lure her into a "down" position, and she tries to lean her head down while still sitting up. Nothing we've done (including catching her lying down on her own and praising her, gently pressing her shoulders down, holding the treat down low on the other side of something she has to go under, and having another dog show her what to do) has gotten her to lie down when someone is asking her to. She lies down easily and all the time otherwise, but if you start talking to her or getting treats she goes right to "sit" and stays that way no matter what.

She's also 4 1/2 and I have no idea what her original home situation was like, except that she's housebroken and came to the rescue with such matted fur that she had to be shaved.

I'm going to look into obedience classes, I think, although it's not a huge deal if she can't obey commands. She sits, she follows people, she walks politely on the leash, she doesn't destroy stuff, and she doesn't pee or poop in the house, and these are the things that are important to me.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
how long have you been actively training her?

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
Our dog's the same Pookel...after a year of looking after her, she finally got 'paw'...used the recommended training methods (work behaviour towards the one you want in little bits, reward reward reward) but nothing went in. When she finally did start giving us her paw, she would no longer lie down (she now lies down again but only with grumbling, like a little old lady saying 'well I never, asking me to lie down who does she think she is'). We have a Simple Dog.

On the plus side, thanks for all the advice, thread, about dealing with dumb breeds that yell at other dogs - Wrags is actually hugely improved due to the open bar method (and is getting better even if you aren't shoving food into her every time she sees a dog) and can actually handle walking past dogs now, even in close quarters, provided they're not: threatening, black, labradour, running, barking, female, young, old, huge, tiny...I'm kidding, she's actually so much better that it's possible to call her back mid-hackle-raise, so seriously, thank you!

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
You can't always use the exact same method for every dog. Maybe try capturing a down instead of luring her and keep in mind praise isn't really a reward for most dogs. But regardless a 100% failure rate means you're teaching the behavior incorrectly.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

To teach my dog down I had to sit with my knees forming a tent and lure him through it.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Ausrotten posted:

You can't always use the exact same method for every dog. Maybe try capturing a down instead of luring her and keep in mind praise isn't really a reward for most dogs. But regardless a 100% failure rate means you're teaching the behavior incorrectly.
She responds really well to praise, generally. The problem with "catching" her with a treat is that if I have a treat in her vicinity, she will not be "caught" doing anything, because she will be doing nothing but sitting and staring at me with her tail wagging. If I move too far away from her, or call her, she moves to a new location, then repeats sit-stare-tail wag. (Maybe I should try having treats in my pocket and not giving them to her, so she starts paying less attention to the smell of the treat?)

We've been trying different things, because it seems like the first step in teaching a command is to find a way to get her to do the behavior, then reinforce it, and we haven't yet found a way to get her to do it. If you have suggestions, I'd welcome them.

Dyna Soar, we got her about 3 weeks ago, and have been working on it a few days a week. So not that long.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Mr. Wookums posted:

To teach my dog down I had to sit with my knees forming a tent and lure him through it.

We tried that. She got really frustrated, couldn't seem to figure out what we wanted, and eventually gave up.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

pookel posted:

Dyna Soar, we got her about 3 weeks ago, and have been working on it a few days a week. So not that long.

ah, give her time then. dogs learn at different paces. 3 weeks is not that long. try different methods and maybe different treats? maybe she's more into playing than food?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Oh, man. She gets playful about 2-3 times a day, for 10 minutes or so. She goes from nothing to full-on zooming around the yard, pouncing on toys, shaking them, and eagerly playing tug. Then she quits. If she's not playful, and you throw a toy or try to get her to run around or play tug, she just looks at you the way a 5-year-old looks at you when you offer them a baby toy. "Really? You want me to do THAT? Harrumph." No interest unless she's in the right mood.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
some dogs are just really hard to motivate. what kind of treats do you use? i've found that our dogs will do anything for dried fish, they go absolutely crazy over it. maybe try something like that?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I have Beggin' Strips, some tiny off-brand meat-flavored "training treats," some chicken-flavored things, and some dental chews, and honestly, she goes nuts for any of them. She also goes nuts for bread, meat, peas, corn, and pretty much any other table food except popcorn and corn chips. She is really, really into the treats, she just doesn't seem really good at figuring out what we want her to do for them. Like if she's sleeping in another room and someone crinkles a plastic bag in the kitchen, she will leap up and run to them.

I might be talking out of my rear end here, but I feel like at some point she was trained to sit, and nothing else, and so she got really good at sitting and nothing else. "Owner asks me to do a thing? MUST SIT."

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i'd say just give her time, she's still adjusting to living with you and also apparently being trained. maybe try and adjust your mehtods?

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

pookel posted:

She responds really well to praise, generally. The problem with "catching" her with a treat is that if I have a treat in her vicinity, she will not be "caught" doing anything, because she will be doing nothing but sitting and staring at me with her tail wagging. If I move too far away from her, or call her, she moves to a new location, then repeats sit-stare-tail wag. (Maybe I should try having treats in my pocket and not giving them to her, so she starts paying less attention to the smell of the treat?)

We've been trying different things, because it seems like the first step in teaching a command is to find a way to get her to do the behavior, then reinforce it, and we haven't yet found a way to get her to do it. If you have suggestions, I'd welcome them.

Part of the problem is you arent rewarding in position. Don't call her over to you or anything like that when she does something good, don't even say anything for a while. Just keep treats in your pocket whenever you're at home and when she lays down, go over to her and put a treat between her front paws. She will probably be real excited about snacks when you start carrying them around all the time but just ignore her and only give her them for laying down. She'll figure it out eventually even if she is pretty slow.

And dyna soar is right, 3 weeks isn't a very long time and it'll take you longer than that to figure out how her brain works and how to teach her things. Give her some time and try not to get stuck on "an expert says to do it this way so I can only do it this way." Some dogs are weird and don't respond well to ~traditional~ ways to teach behaviors.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i found this book to be very helpful in training. it's not about different techniques as much as telling you how dog cognition works and how they actually learn stuff.

https://www.dognition.com/the-genius-of-dogs

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Ausrotten posted:

Part of the problem is you arent rewarding in position. Don't call her over to you or anything like that when she does something good, don't even say anything for a while. Just keep treats in your pocket whenever you're at home and when she lays down, go over to her and put a treat between her front paws. She will probably be real excited about snacks when you start carrying them around all the time but just ignore her and only give her them for laying down. She'll figure it out eventually even if she is pretty slow.
Thank you for the concrete suggestion, this is helpful. One question: when/how exactly do I connect this with the word "down"? Before/after/during treat?

Like I said, I don't mind if she never learns anything else, but I don't mind trying more things either.

ETA: The Internetz tells me that Lhasas aren't very bright, but I don't know how reliable those types of rankings are (and she is probably some kind of mix anyway). Still, they rated #68 out of 79 on some list that claims to be authoritative.

pookel fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 12, 2016

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Here's Teddy playing with some bigger dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiM1f5t3X7U

It seems like he's going to be extremely small for his breeds. He's half lab and half aussie and both of his parents were in the 50 lb range, so I guess he's just a runt, but he turns 4 months this week and only weighs 17 lbs, so guessing he'll be a max of around 30.

Should get his genetic testing results back soon which should be interesting.

pookel posted:

Thank you for the concrete suggestion, this is helpful. One question: when/how exactly do I connect this with the word "down"? Before/after/during treat?

Like I said, I don't mind if she never learns anything else, but I don't mind trying more things either.

ETA: The Internetz tells me that Lhasas aren't very bright, but I don't know how reliable those types of rankings are (and she is probably some kind of mix anyway). Still, they rated #68 out of 79 on some list that claims to be authoritative.

With Teddy I've had a lot of luck with using clicker training to help pinpoint exactly the moment when he does something right. He picks up new tricks a lot faster than some other dogs I had, though.

joe944 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 12, 2016

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

pookel posted:

I wouldn't start saying down until she intentionally comes up and offers a down at you, you generally don't want to put a name to a behavior until the dog does it reliably. Just reward her like crazy until then.

luring tiny dogs into a down is kind of a pain in the rear end, im not surprised you're having problems.

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 12, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
The best method to lure a down that I've found (because gently caress, I tried a bunch of different ways and none of them worked on my pom or yorkie) is to create a little bridge with your legs while you're sitting on the floor, then lure them under your legs, but not actually into a crawl. The moment they start crouching, click and treat, then progress more and more towards a full down. Eventually, after multiple repetitions, they should understand to go into a down without your legs, then slowly morph the motion to be something you can do standing up just about 100% of the time, then add the cue word, and fade the treat.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 12, 2016

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

a life less posted:

In further dog training news (and because we lack a random nonsense thread so I'm posting it here), I did a thing with my dog. Good dog, Cohen.

This video is gonna play in theatres before the trailers. <3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axQhpQWzfIM

:swoon:

You do amazing things with this dog.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I am sitting around with treats in my pockets and she has been trying to lick through my pockets to get them every chance she gets. It's cute though.

pookel fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 13, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

pookel posted:

I am sitting around with treats in my pockets and she has been trying to lick through my pockets to get them every chance she gets. It's cute though.

Other posters have basically said this, but to teach my dog down I use a clicker and I just waited for her to lie down, because eventually a dog will lie down. I took us into the washroom where there was nothing interested at all, waited, and waited, then she lied down, as soon as she was touched down I clicked the clicker and gave her a treat. Then you'll have her attention and she'll be like wtf, so you wait and wait and wait, she lies down, then click and treat. Soon she'll get the trick and you can add a hand signal and a command.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Yeah, that's basically what I was doing. It just took her a bit to get used to the idea of smelling treats without getting them right away. I don't know if she made the connection between lying down and treat (I don't have a clicker yet) but at least she's now used to being in the vicinity of treats.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
You don't need a clicker, you can use a word like yes! or good! to use as your marker. I ditch the clicker for a marker word a lot so I can have my hands free if I'm trying to teach something that needs treats in both hands and I can also mark behavior when we're out and about and I don't have a clicker on me.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
How do you guys deal with dogs with massive separation anxiety issues?

I am babysitting my parents Yellow Lab Bailey, who is 7 years old. His brother from the same litter (Spencer) recently had surgery and has a bunch of stitches on his face so they want to keep them apart while it heals enough that this guy can't reinjure it or open up the stitches. The problem is these 2 have grown up from day 1 together. They have never been separated more than a few hours until now. They have almost never been without people in the house since most of their lives they have lived in a house with 2 people who work normal hours, 1 person on disability and, 1 person who works nights.

The thought was that my dog would keep Bailey occupied when I am not around. They have always gotten along when I visit my parents, but that isn't really helping. The dogs are basically ignoring each other while Bailey completely loses his mind if I ever get out of his sight, even for seconds. Since I still have to work during the day, this is a problem. Fortunately I live close enough to my work that I have been able to visit him on lunch breaks, but he is really not happy unless he is glued to my side. Last night his flipped his poo poo because I went out the door to put some recycling in the bin, even though I never even left his sight. The bin is literally right outside my door and he was watching me through the glass. I was never more than 5 feet away from him. He still acted like I had abandoned him for a month. When he gets like this he hops around uncontrollably while screaming/barking and has injured himself in the past that way.

I give him (And also my own dog of course) lots of attention when I'm around and I've been letting him sleep in my bed which keeps him calm all night, but when I go to work I feel really bad for him. I'm not sure what else I can do for him until he goes home. My dog tolerates him, but treats him as a non-entity unless he engages her and with me around he is permanently glued to me.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is anyone here noticing a rising trend in people walking their dogs off-leash? I live in Los Angeles, and I think it's bananas to see people walking their dogs without a leash in Echo Park, where there are loads and loads of foot and street traffic. Last night, my co-worker was chased and bit by a pitbull while he was jogging. It hadn't escaped a yard, the dog and two others were being walked off-leash at night. The owners were chasing after their dogs to obviously no avail, and my buddy had to spend all night at the ER getting stitches and shots.

I don't understand why people would think that it's okay to walk your dog in a city without a lead. If the dog can walk along at a relaxed pace, then having a leash attached should be a-loving-okay, right?? The only explanation I can think of is the owner believes that they have some kind of special bond with their dog that inhibits natural prey drive or any one thousand other things that might happen in a city environment. Jesus its so loving stupid and it makes me real mad.

On a unrelated note, here's a pic of my goldendoodle being a lazy lug:

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

^ I've always held the opinion that if you're walking next to a road, you need a lead. When I was 5 we knocked a puppy down with our car (by accident, obviously) and it was killed instantly. If the owner had bothered with a lead, that 6 month old pup might have actually lived a long life.

Dogchat: I appear to have a grumpy dog. She's whinging at me because she wants food and knows there's some in my pocket. She'll get a treat if she ever shuts up, but she seems to be mortally offended by my typing. I know she's of a fairly vocal breed (staffie) so it's unlikely she'll ever be properly quiet but my god if I'd known before we rescued her I might have got one that wasn't prone to being quite so bloody talkative. She's cute though, and learning new tricks (Even if 'spin') is a bit out of our reach right now...

Woo, peace! *inserts treat*

At some point she'll figure this out and start being quiet in case I give her treats, right?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Power Walrus posted:

Is anyone here noticing a rising trend in people walking their dogs off-leash? I live in Los Angeles, and I think it's bananas to see people walking their dogs without a leash in Echo Park, where there are loads and loads of foot and street traffic. Last night, my co-worker was chased and bit by a pitbull while he was jogging. It hadn't escaped a yard, the dog and two others were being walked off-leash at night. The owners were chasing after their dogs to obviously no avail, and my buddy had to spend all night at the ER getting stitches and shots.

I don't understand why people would think that it's okay to walk your dog in a city without a lead. If the dog can walk along at a relaxed pace, then having a leash attached should be a-loving-okay, right?? The only explanation I can think of is the owner believes that they have some kind of special bond with their dog that inhibits natural prey drive or any one thousand other things that might happen in a city environment. Jesus its so loving stupid and it makes me real mad.

On a unrelated note, here's a pic of my goldendoodle being a lazy lug:

Wanna play with those paws :3:

I saw a guy jogging along the side of the highway with his dog last night. The dog was off-leash and at least a couple of metres in front of its owner. If a car swerved or the dog saw something across the road and made a break for it there's no way it would survive and the owner would be totally unable to do anything. I also saw a guy in his unfenced front yard playing with a tiny puppy, again no leash, on a road that has constant, heavy four lane traffic. I don't know why people think it's okay and it makes me sad because I know if their dog did get run over or whatever they would probably just go and get another one and doom it to a similar fate.

fake edit - it reminds me of stories I hear people tell about how they grew up on a main road and had, like, ten cats over the course of their childhood because they cats would run out and get hit by a car so their parents would just go and get a new cat a few days later :psyduck:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The only person to blame is the dog owner who doesn't use a lead.

Unless I'm somewhere fenced in or remote enough my dog is on lead.

Dogs do strange things sometimes like take off after people, chase cars, animals etc. Having your dog off lead in a city is a great way of losing your dog. I used to have a neighbor in Chicago with the greatest pit bull. The dog was so sweet and loving and would walk itself around the neighborhood with the owner, holding his own lead in his mouth. He would sit at intersections and wait for his owner before crossing. All that said, I would still have a dog on lead because you just never know.

I hit and killed a golden retriever puppy when I just started driving. It was a little puppy too, I would guess 3-4 months at most. It ran out from between parked cars along the street and I couldn't have stopped of I tried. I was balling when I stopped and the owners ran up.

In other news my pup pointed some birds in the bushes on our return from the dog park. He was so excited and didn't want to leave after that.

Verman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 14, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cyberia posted:

fake edit - it reminds me of stories I hear people tell about how they grew up on a main road and had, like, ten cats over the course of their childhood because they cats would run out and get hit by a car so their parents would just go and get a new cat a few days later :psyduck:

This is one of the big reasons (among many) so many people say you shouldn't let your drat cat outdoors unless they're specifically a barn cat and you live on a farm where barn cats are a useful thing.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Awkward question:

Tips on dealing with a dog who really likes to be near you when you need some alone time with your significant other?

Note that upsetting her to the point she starts barking isn't an option because barking wakes children. She does have a kennel and is usually fine in it, but only, again, if she's near her people. A closed door between her people and her kennel is a problem for her, usually. (She'll be OK for a while but then get upset after a few minutes or hours, depending on her mood.)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pookel posted:

Awkward question:

Tips on dealing with a dog who really likes to be near you when you need some alone time with your significant other?

Note that upsetting her to the point she starts barking isn't an option because barking wakes children. She does have a kennel and is usually fine in it, but only, again, if she's near her people. A closed door between her people and her kennel is a problem for her, usually. (She'll be OK for a while but then get upset after a few minutes or hours, depending on her mood.)

just put her in your kennel in your room. your dog dont give a poo poo if you gently caress in front of it.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

seconding dog in the room, if she gets grumpy about you being noisy she'll just go find somewhere else to sleep... (or sulk under the bed like ours does...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cooper dressed as a Ninja Turtle. The vet said he's a mutt, but he looks like a baby pitbull to me. Either way, he's very cute and already incredibly spoiled.