Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Are there any healing items other than estus in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Shortest Path posted:

How am I supposed to kill these blob things on the high wall? They oneshot me from full health and I cannot kill them in a full stamina bar, so it just ends up with me inevitably trying to dodge and poke which fails horrifically since their attacks are large and occasionally frequent.

:ssh: You don't. DS3 is full of enemies that will kick your rear end. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

If you force yourself to kill every enemy in the level every time, you're going to have a bad time. Sometimes enemies are just tougher than you, thus is the dark souls.

If you think those guys are bad there's an enemy in the area after the next area that you don't have to fight but god help you if you try to.

They can be beaten, but you're going to lose tons of health in the attempt. Better to just learn to avoid those guys.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Still no idea what I'm doing but I beat the ice boss on my second try. Went in the first time with an empty estus flask into the very obvious boss zone, it ended poorly. Those weird eldritch mutation enemies were harder because they just didn't seem to have any sort of opening to hit them whatsoever.
I'm assuming I should probably not reinforce the basic longsword the knight starts with super heavily?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

oneof3steves posted:

Why is Firelink shrine sometimes fogged in?

So that it loads faster. If you stay near the fog it'll go away after awhile when it finishes loading.

Think about it for a minute. Fogging off the greater area means they can load you into firelink faster so if all you want to do is level up or buy something, you can do that and leave. :eng101: Its pretty easy to figure out if you use your brain.

Bloodborne had really bad load times and you had to warp to the hunter's dream to level up, which annoyed people. So FROM went and made it a little optimized.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Harrow posted:

The Knight guy after the dragon in the High Wall of Lothric is by far the hardest enemy of his type I've run into in one of these games. Black Knights and Blue Eye Knights got nothing on him, jesus.

For real

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

That's not funny, you fooled me for a second :saddowns:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Are there any healing items other than estus in this?

The only healing I've encountered other than estus so far is healing magic, and I think divine blessings. That's it, which is cool. Lifegems made things way too easy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
How fast can I start getting new miracles?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

CJacobs posted:

That's not funny, you fooled me for a second :saddowns:

Haha goddamn, that's a good one

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
How's it feel to be back at work after spending a night CTDing with the greatest game of all time?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So after rolling back to some 3-year old drivers, my GTX 570 and i5-2500k can now play the game on high settings at 40fps, whereas before with up to date drivers I was struggling to get 15fps with the lowest settings.

What is this game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Einwand posted:

Still no idea what I'm doing but I beat the ice boss on my second try. Went in the first time with an empty estus flask into the very obvious boss zone, it ended poorly. Those weird eldritch mutation enemies were harder because they just didn't seem to have any sort of opening to hit them whatsoever.
I'm assuming I should probably not reinforce the basic longsword the knight starts with super heavily?

There's a broadsword with better stats somewhere in the High Wall.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am not a fan of the NPC invader in the Undead Settlement. He's of the Dark Souls 2 school of NPC invader, I see: heal himself constantly and take jack poo poo for damage in return.

I ended up having to retreat because I ran out of Estus and he'd kill me in one more hit, so I'm sure glad I get to do the area again and then probably have the exact same thing happen :smith:

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Oxxidation posted:

There's a broadsword with better stats somewhere in the High Wall.

Unless I missed a move, you lose the thrust with the broadsword, though, which is a really good move.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah this is unplayable for me over half an hour. With everything to set to low, I can play this game for twenty minutes. Then it goes from 20 degrees C to 80 and I have to stop. I can run and play it perfectly with no frame drops, it's just hitting the CPU hard. Would anyone know why?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
no rat covenant, im dead inside

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Embers are a one time full heal

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Frankston posted:

So after rolling back to some 3-year old drivers, my GTX 570 and i5-2500k can now play the game on high settings at 40fps, whereas before with up to date drivers I was struggling to get 15fps with the lowest settings.

What is this game

FROM SOFT port

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Einwand posted:

Pretty much every weapon in every souls game is viable, so you like the starting weapon, there's no reason not to upgrade it. If you find a weapon that you prefer later on, you can always switch and farm more upgrade materials.

The longsword is really good! Low stamina use per hit, it's strong attack has good range, and it's regular attack is great for mobs since it has a lot of horizontal movement.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

So if i wanted to help out my bud in his world he'd need to do PvP or whatnot if he wanted to farm embers? Can we both invade the same player or does that require using embers?

Well its easier to just lay down a summon sign and help kill somebody's area boss if you need a quick ember. That said I've found 4 or 5 in the first two areas of the game, the latter of which I havent finished yet. I dont think youll be lacking them in general

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Einwand posted:

Depends on your build. Longsword has been considered a very solid weapon throughout the game in previous installments by a number of pvpers. Not sure how it holds up in this one, but if you like the moveset, roll with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I am not a fan of the NPC invader in the Undead Settlement. He's of the Dark Souls 2 school of NPC invader, I see: heal himself constantly and take jack poo poo for damage in return.

I ended up having to retreat because I ran out of Estus and he'd kill me in one more hit, so I'm sure glad I get to do the area again and then probably have the exact same thing happen :smith:

They heal but in my practice they're nowhere near as tough as the npc invaders in DS2 or BB, I kill them really fast. Maybe my weapon is more upgraded or I'm higher level, but I have no trouble killing them quick. If you see them estus you can either estus yourself or you can stuff them and interrupt it and finish them off.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zaphod42 posted:

The only healing I've encountered other than estus so far is healing magic, and I think divine blessings. That's it, which is cool. Lifegems made things way too easy.

I'm just surprised at the sheer number of enemies that have stunlock attacks that can easily do 1/3 or more of my health bar if I get caught which is making going shieldless a lot harder

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Depends on your build. Longsword has been considered a very solid weapon throughout the game in previous installments by a number of pvpers. Not sure how it holds up in this one, but if you like the moveset, roll with it.

The longsword is really good

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Longswords are totally solid. They don't have any amazing wowie zowie features or cool gimmicks, but they have solid stats and a very versatile moveset, which counts for a lot.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harrow posted:

He runs out of estus bottles eventually, then he can only use warmth and you just have to outdamage warmth or interrupt him when he tries to cast it. I beat him by using the charge jump attack of the club (not reinforced but the regular one, reinforced does a swipe instead). Club was not upgraded.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Harrow posted:

yeah he's a pain in the rear end solo that becomes a joke if you have a summoned bro

also if you fight him near the little bridge you can walk under (directly on the path to the bandsaw guy), he may just fall through the world and die. happened to me last night

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Have we figured out the graphical bug and what causes it? Can I pick any class yet or do I have to be a knight?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

He runs out of estus and has to resort to healing AOE miracles, which you can back him out of and stand inside to regain your own HP.

edit: I had an invader NPC in the forest area that ran out of estus and ran over to other enemies and then the giant enemy crab to try and get me to draw its aggro. They really stepped up the AI in this one, which is cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah this is unplayable for me over half an hour. With everything to set to low, I can play this game for twenty minutes. Then it goes from 20 degrees C to 80 and I have to stop. I can run and play it perfectly with no frame drops, it's just hitting the CPU hard. Would anyone know why?

When was the last time you dusted your computer's fans? :cheeky:

Its possible if you used an artificial frame limiter, especially if you're playing at 30fps on an old card, go into your driver settings and set refresh rate or vsync to "half refresh rate" (aka 30fps). That'll keep it from running itself ragged and overheating.

If it still overheats after you force a 30fps cap, then either you need to fix your computer fans, or just have some rare hardware bug and have to wait for either FROM or NVIDIA/ATI to fix it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
also my first impressions

deprived start is for owners and i am an owner
holy poo poo everything is a lot more aggressive than in previous games, gently caress

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

turtlecrunch posted:

How's it feel to be back at work after spending a night CTDing with the greatest game of all time?

I don't know what you're talking about, I have forced vacation and not a single crash in 13 hours straight. :smug:

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Playing sorcerer - should I upgrade my sword with the titanite shard or fire gem?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

no rat covenant, im dead inside

But there's a doggie covenant :3:

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Have we figured out the graphical bug and what causes it? Can I pick any class yet or do I have to be a knight?

The "bug" is you're trying to play a modern next-gen game on ancient hardware. Change your lighting settings to low.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

cram me sideways posted:

Playing sorcerer - should I upgrade my sword with the titanite shard or fire gem?

I tried fire and it sucked, just make your weapon raw.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

cram me sideways posted:

You can do both if you want. Fire will change it to a fire sword via infusion, titanite to enhance it to +1 and so on via reinforcement.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

This game is a lot harder than Dark Souls 2. I am getting my poo poo pushed in as deprived.

I love it.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Will this run well enough with a gtx680? I've been hearing mixed reviews about the performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Game started crashing repeatedly in the 4th or 5th area so I ported back to Firelink, which caused an npc to die randomly and spawned her pissed off guardian who... also crashed the game. I guess it's restart time.