Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CommonShore posted:

I often tell people that Doctor Who is at its strongest when it embraces its strength of being a platform for sci-fi shorts with the ability to investigate literally any premise in any setting, and it's at its worst when it tries to set up a consistent and persistent universe in which the Doctor has continuous adventures and ongoing problems (i.e. when it tries to be Star Trek).

Series Five argues otherwise.

"The Pandorica Opens" only works as well as it does by drawing in every major villain the Doctor has ever had to sit in judgement of him as a character within its universe. Not to mention how Series Five in general is a specific deconstruction and revealing of the very mechanics with which DW up to that point had always, always taken for granted.

"Basically, run," is not only one of the single best moments of the entire series, but it's Moffat foreshadowing how the commonly-accepted viewpoint of the Doctor from fifty-plus years of extensive canon is fundamentally flawed. You can easily argue that Series Five is the payoff to fifty years of buildup by telling one story centered around how the Doctor's idiosyncrasies end up simultaneously destroying and, paradoxically, saving him, and how he ends up being quite literally saved by the very same force that "saved" him all the way back in "Unearthly Child" - his Companion.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And that trick only worked once.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
"Basically, run from the crazy motherfucker and his rock" does describe the relationship with the companions in Unearthly Child.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The trick only needed to work once. If Series Five is what the entirety of DW's bloated EU was building to, then it was worth it.

But even then I'd argue otherwise. "The Doctor's Wife" and "Day of the Doctor" are two other immensely powerful examples of how strong DW is when it actually internalizes and recognizes its own canon, on two completely different ends of the spectrum - "Wife" in asking and answering a question about one of its most integral protagonists, and "Day" being glorious fanservice that respects its audience while simultaneously addressing one of its most defining plot elements.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The trouble Doctor Who presently faces, has faced for years, and will continue to face until/unless it takes a rest from the mainstream for another 5-10 years, is that it has to be a blockbuster and an Event.

Of course, the opposite circumstance - Doctor Who as an evergreen but without a mandate to be interesting or the resources to (usually) aspire beyond children's teatime - ultimately brought about the programme's original demise.

But in the leadup and aftermath around The Cancellation, Who actually flourished! Seasons 25 and 26 are astonishing - I'd argue brilliant! - and while my opinion of the actual quality of the early Wilderness Years material is rather dim, the fervor and excitement and freedom of that pre-revival EU material makes for a strong argument in their favor (even if they're rarely actually, you know, enjoyable until Colin Baker starts recording audios).

Doctor Who is a series that, like its hero, thrives in crisis but is ill-suited to the everyday. Manic for revolution but uncomfortable with peace. There are no stories to tell in peacetime - you have to go looking for a fight, as the McCoy team did. They ran away with their blue box and set sights on Thatcher, and by got Cartmel and Company were fighting the Doctor's fight those two-and-a-bit years.

(... actually, "The Doctor as someone comfortable with action but not quite compatible with consequence is, perhaps, the closest thing to coherence The Zygon Inversion achieves. I'm pretty kind to that story, because I'm sympathetic to any production whose reach exceeds its grasp, bt even I have to admit that if it's trying to say any actual Thing about the real world, it fails. Of course, it doesn't manage to say that much coherent about Doctor Who, either, which is unfortunate for a sequel to an episode of Doctor Who that did an exceptional job of being about Doctor Who

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

After The War posted:

"Basically, run from the crazy motherfucker and his rock" does describe the relationship with the companions in Unearthly Child.

Don't gently caress with Doctor Bill

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

John Cena owes William Harnell's estate some royalties.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

After The War posted:

The only Star Trek that was like consistently that was DS9 (along with a few scattered TNGs). The majority of the franchise is a different place and idea each week, especially in Gangster World/Roman World/Native American World/Nazi World/etc TOS.

I still feel the ideal balance would be like X-Files in it's first three seasons: our familiar characters go somewhere new each week, with the possibility of exploring little subgenres, and a Very Few Stories building off each other into an ongoing plot.

Spinoffs can totally deal with the ramifications of living in that universe, of course - Gallifrey being my go-to example as always.

Yes, but this is at best/at worst, mind you. In Star Trek, even beyond DS9, all of those worlds are set in the 24th (or whatever) century, in a place with the United Federation of Planets and such, with a wide array of consistent conditions, and history, and if they want Robin Hood or knights or cavemen or whatever, they need to really stretch the show's premise to its limits.

Doctor Who's only real constant is Doctor + TARDIS, and the series has tons of internal mechanisms for reboots, retcons, and rewriting which (hypothetically) can allow it to discard legacy continuity in favour of freshness. If you want cavemen? Cool. Cavemen. Do you want something that happened in a past episode to not matter anymore? Cool. Time travel. But if you want to be dealing with the same political organizations and gangs and groups and things, then the show needs to forget that it's about loving time travel.

So as an example, think about what Star Trek has to do to get a WW2+future tech story into the show. There was that godawful Voyager 2-parter with the whatever invadey hunter guys where they took over the ship and used the holodeck to put the characters into some stupid "investigating earth man history" scenario. Then compare it to Doctor Who: we get the London Blitz two parter. Want future tech? Add another time traveler. Doesn't seem stupid because that's what the show is about.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

Yes, but this is at best/at worst, mind you. In Star Trek, even beyond DS9, all of those worlds are set in the 24th (or whatever) century, in a place with the United Federation of Planets and such, with a wide array of consistent conditions, and history, and if they want Robin Hood or knights or cavemen or whatever, they need to really stretch the show's premise to its limits.

Doctor Who's only real constant is Doctor + TARDIS, and the series has tons of internal mechanisms for reboots, retcons, and rewriting which (hypothetically) can allow it to discard legacy continuity in favour of freshness. If you want cavemen? Cool. Cavemen. Do you want something that happened in a past episode to not matter anymore? Cool. Time travel. But if you want to be dealing with the same political organizations and gangs and groups and things, then the show needs to forget that it's about loving time travel.

So as an example, think about what Star Trek has to do to get a WW2+future tech story into the show. There was that godawful Voyager 2-parter with the whatever invadey hunter guys where they took over the ship and used the holodeck to put the characters into some stupid "investigating earth man history" scenario. Then compare it to Doctor Who: we get the London Blitz two parter. Want future tech? Add another time traveler. Doesn't seem stupid because that's what the show is about.

You're going to feel pretty silly saying all of this once the series finale of Doctor Who reveals that the Doctor has just been Riker playing around on the holodeck between missions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddamn, William Hartnell loving owned :allears:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn, William Hartnell loving owned :allears:

A couple years ago, I watched all his existing stories in a row, and was pretty blown away by the quality of his stories, and his acting. Even in the bad serials, he owned pretty hard.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We are immensely lucky because we have never had a bad Doctor to date.

Plenty of bad stories for those Doctors though. Poor Colin.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

After The War posted:

I still feel the ideal balance would be like X-Files in it's first three seasons: our familiar characters go somewhere new each week, with the possibility of exploring little subgenres, and a Very Few Stories building off each other into an ongoing plot.

I understand that RTD was using Buffy as the template for handling season arcs when he started work on the revival, although I feel that RTD's run on Who is still much less serialised than Buffy was for most of its run.

I suppose my own preference would be that whatever approach one takes to long-term storylines, each episode - whether it's its own story or part of a larger arc - ought to have its own internal conflict and resolution.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 11, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

John Cena owes William Harnell's estate some royalties.

"Your time is up/My time is now!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

They call it "Pulse" - a radio signal which has puzzled the world for 40 years. But now Toshiko Sato has solved it.

She's uncovered a message which leads her to Russia, and into an uneasy alliance with the KVI - the Russian equivalent of Torchwood. Toshiko needs to get into Zone 10 - a frozen wasteland which officially doesn't exist.

An intergalactic war was once fought in Zone 10. And it turns out there's a survivor.

Naoko Mori is Toshiko Sato in...Torchwood: Zone 10

X X X X X

Cast
Naoko Mori (Toshiko Sato)
Krystian Godlewski (Maxim Ivanov)
Ella Garland (Anna Volokova)
Geoffrey Breton (FSB Agent)

Written By: David Llewellyn
Directed By: Scott Handcock
Produced by: James Goss
Script edited by: Steve Tribe

Trailer - https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/popout/zone-10-1390

X X X X X

Torchwood: Zone 10 focuses on Toshiko Sato, otherwise known as Tosh, as Naoko Mori slips easily back into the role. Built around an intriguing real life concept, the story provides some much needed information on the Committee to push that story arc forward while also serving as a neat story with some unique temporal mechanics and solid characterization for Torchwood Three's technical genius.

The Pulse. A radio signal that has been broadcasting for nearly 40 years. No one has been able to crack the transmission – code breakers, mathematicians, military intelligence officers, all had been stumped by the steady tone of the signal. Until Toshiko Sato manages to decrypt the mysterious signal and discover two shocking truths. The Pulse is directing its listeners to an isolated area of Russia, a winter wasteland known only as Zone 10. And its message is addressed directly to none other than Tosh herself...

Zone 10 writer David Llewellyn continues to advance the Committee storyline that runs throughout Big Finish's Torchwood releases, much as he did in his two stories in the first series, The Committee and Uncanny Valley. He begins with an intriguing concept – numbers stations. Numbers stations were shortwave radio stations used during the Cold War by intelligence agencies to broadcast instructions to their agents throughout the world. These messages often took the form of random series of numbers or short phrases that would be deciphered by the agents using a one-time pad or computer program. Even with the end of the Cold War several of these stations continue to broadcast on a loop. Perhaps the most famous of these stations emanates from Russia known officially as UVB-76 and unofficially as “The Buzzer” for the steady buzzing tone it broadcasts at 25 beats per minute, 24 hours a day, with the occasional interruption by a female voice. With the mystery of the Pulse serving as the story's central pillar, Llewellyn builds the plot around it by taking a Russian espionage story and combines it with the inception and consequences of a temporal loop. The Russian side of things has its moments. It does have the standard cliches of an experienced agent (Maxim Ivanov, which is a great name for a Soviet/Russian spy) who talks about the “good old days” of the Soviet Union and may or may not have a secret motive that works at cross purposes with Tosh. Luckily, actor Krystian Godlewski imbues the role of Ivanov with an easy-going and disarming charm that helps to enhance his internal conflict when the time comes to betray Tosh. Portraying an agent of KVI, Russian's counterpart to Torchwood, Godlewski gives his performance a good bit of heart and there's never a point where the listener really loathes or hates Ivanov as they understand and perhaps even sympathize with him. Godlewski gives a very good turn in his first audio performance, which is a little funny as he's best known for being the CGI stand-in for Groot in Guardians of the Galaxy!

The timey-wimey aspects (and I don't know if I should thank or curse Blink for introducing that phrase into the modern science-fiction lexicon) are a side-effect of the Committee. Much like Torchwood, KVI was responsible for bringing the Committee to Earth. Hoping to capitalize on the group's advanced technology, the KVI soon found themselves under the thumb of the Committee and chose to strike back in what Ivanov called “the shortest war in Earth history. 32 minutes.” Zone 10 was a demonstration by the Committee as they used a temporal bomb to lock the entire area in to a stable time loop. Anyone going into Zone 10 is stuck inside, never aging, their supplies regenerating, never going hungry or thirsty. Trapped inside Zone 10, Tosh and Ivanov soon find the source of the Pulse – an old 1960's Soviet space capsule containing the first female cosmonaut and the first woman in space who was plucked out of orbit by the committee, both to send a message to the KVI that no one is beyond their reach...and to send a message to Torchwood 40 years later. Voice actor Ella Garland plays cosmonaut Anna Volokova, space pioneer whose moment of glory was cut short. Being a woman out of time is something Tosh can empathize with, and the last third of the audio focuses on Tosh doing her best to ensure Anna has her opportunity to escape Zone 10 and live her full life one again. Garland portrays Volokova as tired, someone who can't believe that her moment of rescue might just be her last moment on Earth. Her anger is laced with a weariness, the kind that only 40 years in a Russian winter could draw out, and knowing that all she's known is dead and gone, both family and country, makes her decision during the climax and final fate all the more bittersweet.

Of course, this audio is all about Tosh. Big Finish has done a great job shining the spotlight on Gwen and Ianto, and Zone 10 continues that winning streak. Naoko Mori hasn't portrayed Tosh since 2008, but she effortlessly slides right back into the character of the lonely genius. Mori is simply fantastic in the part. Removed from the rest of Torchwood Three, Tosh shows much more confidence as well as her scientific bent. Spending her spare time trying to crack a 40 year old radio signal is something that Tosh would try to do. And it's not a sense of recklessness and need for approval, like that which framed Ianto's actions in Fall To Earth, but a genuine scientific interest and need to solve the puzzle. And that scientific interest is what saves the day during the final third of the story, with a callback to Tosh's creation of the Time Bubble that surrounds the Hub as well as figuring out how to use both the time loop and Volokova's capsule in an attempt to save their lives. There's also a nice moment where Tosh shoots one of the agents trying to stop her and Ivanov and she tries to comes to grips with the fact that she just killed a man. Mori puts a good deal of grief and pathos into the scene, further humanizing and differentiating Tosh from the other members of Torchwood Three.

Whereas The Victorian Age was a fun melodramatic and comedic romp, Zone 10 is much more intense, a claustrophobic affair even though it's set on the wide open Russian wilderness. It furthers the story of the Committee while also adding some great characterization to a core member of Torchwood. Combining three greats portrayals and unnerving temporal happenings, Zone 10 does great credit to the character of Tosh and easily recommended to both Torchwood fans and science-fiction fans.

Random Thoughts
- I couldn't help but notice that the KVI building was set up above a pizza place, which brought back memories of Gwen's efforts to infiltrate the Hub by dressing up as a pizza delivery girl during Torchwood's very first episode!

Cobi's Synopsis – A tight and claustrophobic affair, Zone 10 combines the Committee, number stations, a lost and forgotten cosmonaut, and Naoko Mori bring Tosh to life once again with a fantastic performance.

Next up - Sergeant Andy Davidson has always wanted to join Torchwood. And now he finally gets his chance...

Tom Price is Sergeant Andy Davidson in...Torchwood: Ghost Mission.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

It has to happen eventually.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Zone 10 concept sounds pretty cool, I just wish the tv series hadn't poisoned the well so badly as to put me off trying anything Torchwood-related, since I'm sure there are interesting stories to be told with the whole Torchwood premise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

The Zone 10 concept sounds pretty cool, I just wish the tv series hadn't poisoned the well so badly as to put me off trying anything Torchwood-related, since I'm sure there are interesting stories to be told with the whole Torchwood premise.

Ending Miracle Day on a cliffhanger didn't help endear anyone to the property.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So I just got done listening to The Black Hole, the latest 2nd Doctor joint. Good story, Frazier as usual kills it, David Warner(!) narrates. Deborah Watling isn't quite on par with some of her contemporaries as far as the whole "sounding like she's still 20" that say Frazier, Peter Purves, or Wendy Padbury can. But the story was a great mix of an authentic 2nd Doctor story with modern tech touches--it operates as the best ones do in a weird quantum state (appropriately to a concept in this story) where it simultaneously can be visualized as a show in the 60s or in a future years from now.

What did surprise me were the two twists at the end --they're unretconning Season 6b? :psyduck: And perhaps less surprisingly, Oh Its The Monk. Again. I almost wonder if BF is starting to overuse him a bit?

Burkion posted:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

Where were you Christmas 2005 - January 1, 2010?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Probably watching David Tennant, Good Doctor.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not watching Doctor Who.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Burkion posted:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah I'm pretty happy about it too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You accidentally posted a very good Doctor instead!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jerusalem posted:

You accidentally posted a very good Doctor instead!

I don't think Kilgrave is even a doctor though.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

The audios are so much better than the TV series. They take the "mature" concept and put up some interesting themes concepts without becoming "dark and edgy." It's the difference between Ed Brubaker and Garth Ennis (and this is coming from an Ennis fanboy).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jsor posted:

He told me he was, therefore he is :shepicide:

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It's fun to use DeepArt to create pictures of the Doctor from throughout history:

Also, I think Pertwee and Capaldi were/are the only bad Doctors, but may be alone in this.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 12, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

vegetables posted:

It's fun to use DeepArt to create pictures of the Doctor from throughout history:

Also, I think Pertwee and Capaldi were/are the only bad Doctors, but may be alone in this.

Pertwee gave us a chase scene episode that included two separate hovercrafts. And a different episode with another two chase scenes, one of which involved a different kind of hovercraft. He rules.

e. And Capaldi is cool too.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The worst Doctors imo are Davison and Smith. I love all the rest of them.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I don't really like 5 or 10, but I like Davison and Tennant just fine.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

vegetables posted:

cargohills posted:

The worst Doctors imo are Davison and Smith. I love all the rest of them.

This better be a buildup to one hell of a "splendid chaps, all of them" pun chain. :zoro:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jsor posted:

His parents are!

DoctorWhat posted:

Of course, the opposite circumstance - Doctor Who as an evergreen but without a mandate to be interesting or the resources to (usually) aspire beyond children's teatime - ultimately brought about the programme's original demise.

You bring up "children's tea time", but the last time that was really true was in Colin's run (which was contrasted nicely awfully by Saward's approach to the stories). By the time we had McCoy the programme was going out around half seven to eight weekday evenings (Thursday or Monday depending on which season) which is very definitely into "adulty evening television". Of course the programme didn't have the budget to do that properly, but they were definitely being pitched at an older audience by the end of the 80's.

Toxxupation posted:

"The Pandorica Opens" only works as well as it does by drawing in every major villain the Doctor has ever had

Well a handful of the major villains, some guys from Torchwood and SJA and a hodgepodge of one-offs from the early days.

[edit]

Of the races mentioned in the episode, roughly 1/3 of them had never appeared previously and 1/3 of them had appeared once.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 12, 2016

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yes, exactly. The McCoy era didn't kill the show, the Cbakes years did.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

This better be a buildup to one hell of a "splendid chaps, all of them" pun chain. :zoro:

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well a handful of the major villains, some guys from Torchwood and SJA and a hodgepodge of one-offs from the early days.
I remember wondering how Weevils contributed to the plan, or if they were just there as Underhenge janitors.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You bring up "children's tea time", but the last time that was really true was in Colin's run (which was contrasted nicely awfully by Saward's approach to the stories).

Dear god, was it ever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_QsvtEnrIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJHfpORY31Q

(Colin's just lovely with kids, isn't he? :unsmith: )

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Where is cgi snake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You bring up "children's tea time", but the last time that was really true was in Colin's run (which was contrasted nicely awfully by Saward's approach to the stories). By the time we had McCoy the programme was going out around half seven to eight weekday evenings (Thursday or Monday depending on which season) which is very definitely into "adulty evening television". Of course the programme didn't have the budget to do that properly, but they were definitely being pitched at an older audience by the end of the 80's.

You say that, but compare the timeslot with Andrew Cartmel's story about his interview with Jonathan Powell (head of Series & Serials at the time, the department which produced the show); Powell asks "who is the audience for Doctor Who?", Cartmel of course says "Doctor Who is for everyone!" and Powell corrects him, "No, Doctor Who is for children." The phrase "mixed messages" does rather spring to mind.

• Locked thread