Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Between my ninja-hood and ice-sword, I've accidentally created Sub-zero.

If you have a 970 then maybe try forcing it to 60fps instead, that could still help even though in theory DS3 is already limited to 60. Or try 30 (half-refresh). Some games have problems with that. Nvidia control panel should be able to do a rough 60 or 30fps cap in the vsync settings somewhere (you have to use vsync), or you can get external software which lets you frame-limit to any arbitrary value, and sometimes limiting to 62 or 59 can help too. Computer gaming is just always kinda tricky.

To FROM's credit, I've had TONS of problems lately with other games too, even though most games run flawlessly. I play Battlefront at 100+ fps on my g-sync monitor at 1440 max settings and it looks beautiful. But then some random game will run like crap, and I have to roll back my drivers. Had to do that twice before DS3 (although DS3 runs fine for me :iiam:) Definitely try rolling back your drivers if you haven't yet.

Don't know if its NVIDIA or Microsoft or who, but somebody is loving up hardcore lately. Its annoying but some troubleshooting can usually work around it?

I'm serious about dust, btw. If you have some canned air, blast that poo poo in there. Its easy to forget about how much dust has accumulated in your machine.

Good luck.

Yeah I'll get some and clean it out later too, just to get it down a bit more; resting it's at 18C right now, then active usually mid 20s. Thanks for the advice, I'll muck around with it and see what I can do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gortarius posted:

Finally got the game working, after updating gfx drivers, and it's almost stable too now.

Anyways, is DS3 incredibly linear or have I just missed a bunch of stuff? So far I've been running around the first area for an hour or two and it seems to railroad you pretty hard. I'm all the way up to the fat knight and the cathedral or whatever near it

If you think Undead Settlement was linear you missed stuff.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Anyone able to sound off on the Large/Giant clubs? Are they still the legit str monster scaler in this game? Just looking at the numbers they seem to be not great compared to some of the other str scaling greatweapons (greataxe, greatsword/Zwei)

My guy started as a warrior and just got to the firelink shrine so I've got time to build my stats around whatever I decide on rolling with. I was considering trying to get the spiked mace from the Undead Settlement and rolling with a str/luck bleed build.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
There's a ton of poo poo hidden in undead settlement. For instance, the best ring in the game. (cloranthy ring)

Happy hunting :)

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

BobTheJanitor posted:

So dual wielding is about using one weapon but two handing it and magically splitting it in two, instead of putting a weapon in your offhand? I tried actually wielding two weapons for a bit but I couldn't really see a point in it. Maybe that's why, I was just doing it wrong.

Yeah pretty much. I've only found one weapon that does it so far, called twindaggers.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Ulvirich posted:

How to beat the first boss: Remove all your armor, and shield if equipped. Double down on exploiting dodge roll iframes by dodging into the attack swings so that you spend less time in danger of being hit. Depending on the weapon, you can get up to three swings before needing to dodge again to avoid death. When the boss goes :ssj: don't panic, just dodge roll whenever the boss model moves at all, paying particular attention to the right and left limbs for animation tells.

or OR you can just circle strafe him and ping him to death with soul arrows if you're a BITCH like me

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Decrepus posted:

Can you give really vague/unspoilery directions? I named my character Taint Reaper in hopes of acquiring this powerful weapon.

IIRC, In undead settlement, you see that big giant on the tower firing his Bow? It's near a house where his arrows are going.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a ton of poo poo hidden in undead settlement. For instance, the best ring in the game. (cloranthy ring)

Happy hunting :)

I need to stop moundmaking and start exploring more but it's just so fun to act like a friendly phantom then wait for the perfect time to strike!

quote:

or OR you can just circle strafe him and ping him to death with soul arrows if you're a BITCH like me

Try thrusting but hole

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dude these waterbug things with the gaping mouths and a million legs give me the heebie jeebies so hard. I'm glad they only show up in lovely Swamp Poison Wading related scenarios so I know when to anticipate them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BobTheJanitor posted:

So dual wielding is about using one weapon but two handing it and magically splitting it in two, instead of putting a weapon in your offhand? I tried actually wielding two weapons for a bit but I couldn't really see a point in it. Maybe that's why, I was just doing it wrong.

You can dual wield anything, but then you'll just have the two one handed weapons.

If you want something like a DS2 power stance, then yeah, you have to use the weapons that are innately dual-wield when you two-hand them, and those will have sword arts that do moves like power stance moves from DS2.

The other upside to weapons that 'split in half' is you only have to upgrade it once! Upgrade/infuse the base and your damage in both hands goes up, without having to use twice the titanite. That's pretty drat handy.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

RBA Starblade posted:

I need to stop moundmaking and start exploring more but it's just so fun to act like a friendly phantom then wait for the perfect time to strike!

Moundmaking is horribly annoying when it's just getting summoned to gank squad but the satisfying trick plays make it all worthwhile.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

cram me sideways posted:

A true champion kills that jerk with a dull stick of wood, bitch. :colbert:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

DeathSandwich posted:

Anyone able to sound off on the Large/Giant clubs? Are they still the legit str monster scaler in this game? Just looking at the numbers they seem to be not great compared to some of the other str scaling greatweapons (greataxe, greatsword/Zwei)

My guy started as a warrior and just got to the firelink shrine so I've got time to build my stats around whatever I decide on rolling with. I was considering trying to get the spiked mace from the Undead Settlement and rolling with a str/luck bleed build.

I'm currently using the large club and its going to need the infusion to boost scaling to get it up to A if I go that way. Its available pretty early on though and was the first I found ultra greatsword/hammer that i found and could use

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Oh god you can get Flynn's Ring really early in this game! Yessss

E: spoilered this vague thing I guess

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Moundmaking is horribly annoying when it's just getting summoned to gank squad but the satisfying trick plays make it all worthwhile.

Someone tried to do that to me, but grabbed the wrong sign and pulled in a second moundmaker. We had a good time. Last night I even channeled my inner Patches and was able to kick someone off a cliff. :v:

It's the best covenant since the bellbros. The nice thing too is you get the souls from dead npcs anyway, so you don't actually waste your time on much if you fail.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Innerguard posted:

Still can't beat tutorial boss. I am aware I need to get good. I just can't seem to dodge him properly and can't block as a Herald. Tried hugging him and strafing to right, he just does some attack and I'm on my back.

get good

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Finished up loose ends in the first zone, pinged the dragon to death with some lovely crossbow I found and killed the mimic which was surprisingly easy? I mean the one time it hit me I lost 2/3rds my hp but it was slow as hell with loads of openings. Lucerne seems decent as far as weapons go so far.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
New candidate for saddest character

"She was...already dead...heh..."

That one hit me pretty hard :(

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone else using DS4? I can only use my controller through the steam link, otherwise it only reads the touchpad, doubly bizarre is that I'm already using input mapper to play with it through the steam link. Sometimes I just want to play in my room, like early in the morning

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Quick question about infusions: Do they only work on base weapons, or could I use a Sharpstone on a +5 Uchi to turn it into a Sharp Uchi? If I do this, will I lose any of the upgrade levels on it?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

Quick question about infusions: Do they only work on base weapons, or could I use a Sharpstone on a +5 Uchi to turn it into a Sharp Uchi? If I do this, will I lose any of the upgrade levels on it?

No, you won't lose upgrades if you infuse. They are completely independent, you will end up with a Sharp Uchi +5

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

If it's like Dark Souls 2 Yes and No to the first and second question respectively.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It'll make it a sharp uchi + 5

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can and you won't lose any upgrades

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Thanks everyone--the upgrade system seems like a more friendly version of Demon's Souls's system. There should be a lot of build flexibility here.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Gahmah posted:

Anyone else using DS4? I can only use my controller through the steam link, otherwise it only reads the touchpad, doubly bizarre is that I'm already using input mapper to play with it through the steam link. Sometimes I just want to play in my room, like early in the morning

DS4Windows, in the profile (make one for DS3) check the radio button that says use touchpad for controls, then under settings check "hide DS4 controller".

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Siegward is a loving bro

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Apparently there are illusory walls, hosed if I can find any though!

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a ton of side passages and hidden items you may have missed along the way, the levels themselves have tons of winding splintered paths and shortcuts.

The actual game progression itself is pretty linear for a long time, although there's some optional bosses and optional zones to break it up. But the zones themselves should have a few different paths to explore so you might have just missed something.

Even exploring slowly and trying to be observant as I can (I usually end up finding most secrets in my first run just by going over every nook and cranny) there was still a bonfire in the 2nd real zone that I'd missed that I just stumbled on late last night after clearing the entire zone already.

Okay, I should clarify a bit. In Dark souls 1 after I got out of the tutorial, I could go to several different locations. Undead Burg, Down to the ruins, with master key I could go to blight town and beyond or go across the canyone and reach the forest area which also connects to pretty much everything else.

In DS2 it was the same deal, for the most part, although a lot more restrictive, imo. I could go to Heide or the Giants place, could farm a bit of souls and go down the well (or do you actually need the cat ring for that?), maybe get a branch and try my luck in the place behind the dressup doll.

I first thought I could go to a lot of different areas from Firelink in DS3 because the place was full of doorways but nope. So what I'm curious about is that if there is a crossroad early on in DS3 where I could choose to go to several different areas, even if I'm not really supposed to?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

I've played enough of these games where I should know this by now, but do people constantly put "Hidden path ahead" signs in front of random walls just to mess with me?? :mad:

"Illusionary wall ahead"

"Liar ahead"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why do you sometimes get another Estus Flask use out of nowhere? I can't seem to discern the pattern. It was happening before I wrote any messages, so it definitely isn't that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I am always a bit vulnerable to the temptation of farming.

Rats in a barrel behind the Dilapidated Bridge bonfire. :getin: 425ish souls profit per very short run for blowing away the big one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Why do you sometimes get another Estus Flask use out of nowhere? I can't seem to discern the pattern. It was happening before I wrote any messages, so it definitely isn't that.

Maybe it's something like someone else using the last bonfire you did, like in DS1? It happens when you're a phantom too.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Gortarius posted:

Okay, I should clarify a bit. In Dark souls 1 after I got out of the tutorial, I could go to several different locations. Undead Burg, Down to the ruins, with master key I could go to blight town and beyond or go across the canyone and reach the forest area which also connects to pretty much everything else.

In DS2 it was the same deal, for the most part, although a lot more restrictive, imo. I could go to Heide or the Giants place, could farm a bit of souls and go down the well (or do you actually need the cat ring for that?), maybe get a branch and try my luck in the place behind the dressup doll.

I first thought I could go to a lot of different areas from Firelink in DS3 because the place was full of doorways but nope. So what I'm curious about is that if there is a crossroad early on in DS3 where I could choose to go to several different areas, even if I'm not really supposed to?

There are two different places you can go from the high wall

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can't lose covenant progress this time can you? Ton of fun Sunbroing and then invading.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RBA Starblade posted:

Try thrusting but hole

Mound makers appear friendly?!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Had a good night as a purple bro. I'd spawn in at Lothric tower, run to the ladder dow to the roof and try to show how helpful I was. If they were cool and let me help I'd go all the way to the boss room unless they were really doing something goofy like just standing still with 10% hp left. If they attacked I'd go down the ladder and on to the roof with the worshipping dead guys and let that Resident Evil thing spawn, yhen try to vanish somewhere and let the host die.

I treat purple bros as co op through trash only I'm gambling the host dies along the way. Soon as I get the first tier reward though I'm done. Too many untrusting types out there!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
last night I played for a while and got to the ice boss guy thats fairly early in the game

I was very close to being able to beat him when I go to bed

someone talks about a katana guy near Firelink should i even bother trying him right now, considering how bad I am

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poptart_fairy posted:

Mound makers appear friendly?!

No, but if you start backing up from the host when you meet them and start killing enemies for them, they'll go with it for a while. I've never had one try and backstab me first when doing that. The sign SHOULD appear like a white one though, that'd be more interesting.

Weirdly killing red phantoms doesn't count for the covenant reward, though I didn't get the killing blow so that might be why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gortarius posted:

No. The first few zones are linear in their progression. I think this is so newbies wouldn't wander into new londo ruins and get rekt, but it is kinda sad. Its my one complaint about the game.

But within zones there's still a lot of branching paths, and also the world is one big continuous space and you can see parts of zones from other zones to keep constant immersion and relative position, unlike DS2. But Its not spread out like DS2 or DeS, which based on how firelink was set up, I was kinda hoping we could hop between 5 worlds again. But its still amazing level design.