Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Maybe Poland and Russia have had an assasin war going for the last 20 years and most of those weird deaths of Russian generals are caused by Poles. Russians decide to concentrate their effords on big strikes instead :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

alex314 posted:

Maybe Poland and Russia have had an assasin war going for the last 20 years and most of those weird deaths of Russian generals are caused by Poles. Russians decide to concentrate their effords on big strikes instead :tinfoil:

Litvinenko was killed with polonium. :tinfoil:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the mighty Polish army totally needed crippling. They seriously believe they are relevant to something like Russia?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, the mighty Polish army totally needed crippling. They seriously believe they are relevant to something like Russia?

Doesn't Poland live in constant fear that Russia is going to try and restart the USSR and start rolling past Ukraine? I don't think their obvious invasion of Ukraine and Crimea is helping matters.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Doesn't Poland live in constant fear that Russia is going to try and restart the USSR and start rolling past Ukraine? I don't think their obvious invasion of Ukraine and Crimea is helping matters.

I wouldn't call it fear, not in Poland and not anywhere else in eastern Europe.

A few foreign journalists have asked me this when I've been in uniform. "Aren't you afraid that Russia might invade Estonia" ?

*snort*

of course I'm not afraid.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

55 years ago today, Yuri Gagarin becomes the first man in space. Russia decides to celebrate.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ringu0 posted:

55 years ago today, Yuri Gagarin becomes the first man in space. Russia decides to celebrate.

They misspelled their swastika.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ringu0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnwZo2bUjAU

Greetings, Maj. Gagarin!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Another version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKcbI4DzP5k

This song fits the occasion as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbAewzcFtlE

And a few more on the theme of space travel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaBzp6cNTW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TYqDTvMwUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfJBC72O7mM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkdsIcqAglQ

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

ringu0 posted:

They are just thanking the people that made it possible.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I was more referring to them thinking their army is a factor that Russia would need to deal with.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the Polish army is large and well-equipped enough to give the Russians a pause and to make them consider sabotage over direct invasion, if you live in the Tom Clancy world of the Red Menace crossing the borders any day now.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

It's less about rational fear, more that "resisting a foreign invader" is one of the core elements of the modern Polish culture. It prevailed in its formative years (when Poland was divided between three other countries) and got cranked up to 11 after the Nazi invasion and 50 years of being a Russian satellite country. Starting from the elementary school, the Polish child is bombarded with imagery of plucky Polish heroes standing up to the foreign oppressor and winning - well, at least morally. It's not even conscious indoctrination - it's just the fact that our best poets, writers and artists wouldn't shut the gently caress up about independence. Polish nationalism was never based on feelings of superiority, but fear that someone will come and make us slaves again. Hence the fears of Russia, who did gently caress with us before - hence for many people it's only natural they are going to do this now.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

At a Moscow bus stop.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

At a Moscow bus stop.

Who's paying for these?

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 13, 2016

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

sparatuvs posted:

Who's paying for these?
Only one guy is known so far, he crowdfunded them on Facebook. But he's only responsible for a couple of these, the Stalin one and "Putin's greatest hits" one, I think. The rest remain anonymous.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
The proposed doubling of monetary fine rates did not go through in the Estonian parliament.

However, of 101 MPs 50 still voted for it. One coalition member was absent and three of them voted against it. No problem, it was surely an accident. It will work the next time surely, after they have instilled some party discipline.

I'm now half-wishing that it would go through, to just give the opposition more ammunition before next year's elections.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 13, 2016

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKjNOj8KAvM

(Title is "For the hero of my childhood", it's about Gagarin)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

I think the Polish army is large and well-equipped enough to give the Russians a pause and to make them consider sabotage over direct invasion, if you live in the Tom Clancy world of the Red Menace crossing the borders any day now.

The Poles have actually built up a decent army. On paper, it could beat the comically underfunded Bundeswehr and take Berlin. Russia would get a proper bloody nose if it tried anything.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

redscare posted:

The Poles have actually built up a decent army. On paper, it could beat the comically underfunded Bundeswehr and take Berlin. Russia would get a proper bloody nose if it tried anything.

Yeah, I was not being sarcastic, the Polish army is genuinely impressive for the country of its size.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I was not being sarcastic, the Polish army is genuinely impressive for the country of its size.

It's more a sign of messed up priorities.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

sparatuvs posted:

It's more a sign of messed up priorities.

Looking at ukraine, those priorities aren't that messed up.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

drilldo squirt posted:

correct

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So it looks like there will be a Hroysman government in Ukraine after all -- the coalition voted for it in its own meeting (though the Rada vote is still outstanding). Making it work seems to have required an absurd number of Vice Prime Ministers.

Highlights of negotiations mostly involved Ukrainian and Western press demonstrating poor quality of their work (OMG, they are horse-trading over ministerial portofolios, how barbaric --- did they think Steinmeier became German FM because he was the best person in the country for the job?), including complete inability to adjust poorly sourced preconceptions based on actual evidence (what do you mean Hroysman has his own opinions? We KNOW he is Poroshenko's puppet, so clearly this is just super-disfuction unique to Ukraine, and not a politician being less than 100%-aligned with their mentor, which happens everywhere else). Also present was traditional over willingness to take anything journalist/MP Leschenko says as true uncritically, not at all tempered by his inability to do his actual MP job.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 13, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

drilldo squirt posted:

Russia isn't gonna invade Poland. :toxx:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

sparatuvs posted:

"Russia isn't going to invade Ukraine", " Russia isn't going to annex Crimea" ---- lots of people slightly over 2 years ago. Having enough of a military that Russia can't even think of a fait accompli is one way of actually making the prediction true.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

sparatuvs posted:

Because of the Polish tank horde, duh.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Russia is still a rational actor, Ukraine has proved that. Don't turn it into a mindless bogeyman who wants to invade for the sake of painting the map like some eu4 player.

Plus I can't get banned after we all perish in nuclear hellfire.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

sparatuvs posted:

Russia is still a rational actor, Ukraine has proved that. Don't turn it into a mindless bogeyman who wants to invade for the sake of painting the map like some eu4 player.

From a western "sovereign states are inviolable unless the violator is America and the violee is a desert shithole" perspective that's not rational.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran
Looks like I get to meet a real life cyborg tomorrow!

quote:

You are cordially invited to attend the screening
of the documentary The Ukrainians («Добровольці Божої Чоти») about the defenders of the Donetsk city airport (2015, 82 min, English subtitles) that will be hosted by the Embassy of Ukraine (3350 M Street NW, Washington, DC 20007)
on Thursday, April 14, at 6 pm.

These people are known as “Cyborgs” for their fearlessness in resisting violent assaults of Russian tanks and heavy artillery. They were fighting for 242 days and did not give up until the airport’s terminal was destroyed to the ground level.

Ukrainian filmmakers Leonid Kanter and Ivan Yasnij spent three months shoulder to shoulder with “Cyborgs” at the Donetsk airport and in the nearby village Peski. Their documentary is the experience of being right in the middle of one of the most dangerous and strategically important places along the so called “clash line” of Ukraine’s defense against Russian aggression. The courage of “Cyborgs” stopped the superior enemy forces’ advance despite the fact that those Ukraine’s defenders have never been career military service men. They are former civilians of various backgrounds and from different regions of Ukraine, but united by their desire to defend their homeland from the invasion.

You will have an opportunity to meet in person with one of the “Cyborgs” – Oleksander Chub.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Delpino posted:

Looks like I get to meet a real life cyborg tomorrow!

Is this a public event? Can you still RSVP?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

OddObserver posted:

"Russia isn't going to invade Ukraine", " Russia isn't going to annex Crimea" ---- lots of people slightly over 2 years ago. Having enough of a military that Russia can't even think of a fait accompli is one way of actually making the prediction true.

Unless Ukraine joined NATO slightly over 2 years ago, it's still not that compelling of evidence. It'd be like saying because America invaded Iraq, North Korea is next. Invading random politically isolated nations is nothing like invading nations with explicit mutual defense pacts with nuclear superpowers.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

sparatuvs posted:

Is this a public event? Can you still RSVP?

It was an invite, and I don't see anything on the embassy's page about it so I don't think it's a public event unfortunately.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Russian warplanes have aggressively zipped around a US destroyer a dozen times in the Baltic: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36039703

Is Putin trying to call our bluff? Or are we calling his?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

Russian warplanes have aggressively zipped around a US destroyer a dozen times in the Baltic: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36039703

I don't know grouchio, but it definitely means ww3 starts tomorrow.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sparatuvs posted:

Invasion is not the only way for Russia to bully Poland if it didn't have a strong military deterrent. THough the threat of political destabilization doesn't seem so bad now that PiS is a thing...

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blowfish posted:

From a western "sovereign states are inviolable unless the violator is America and the violee is a desert shithole" perspective that's not rational.

That, or Haiti.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Grouchio posted:

It's the same ship they buzzed in the Black Sea in 2014. Leave USS Donald Cook alone!

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

sparatuvs posted:

I don't know grouchio, but it definitely means ww3 starts tomorrow.

Good, good. See you all in hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
No doubt they will be telling us how just like a year ago, even more effeminate homowesterners serving on that ship have resigned over the incident.