Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Kinda looking forward to the whole thing being over so we can finally look at it as a full, complete thing. I think in the long run Homestuck's way more defined by its characters and their interactions than it is by the greater overarching plot, and that's why these updates have fallen kind of flat--they're playing to a weakness rather than a strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I kind of think that this part's being treated like something it's not, it's like the wordless celebration scene in return of the King, and honestly I like seeing all the kids excited and reuniting. I don't see why we need twenty pages of chat logs for "AAAAAA WE DID IT AAAAAA" to make this slower.

Maybe I'm less than psyched for chat logs because some of the last ones were bad (sprite^2's talking about incest, vriska being a big fat bully, etc)

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
guys, i just got off the phone with hussie, and he agreed to give me one (1) frame of the Super Final Last Flash Animation

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think if Hussie had drawn out these final updates himself, shooting for them to be as gorgeous as the commissioned art, we'd have had to have the Ultimapause lasting until who knows when. I think that his having commissioned art is a recognition that, at this point, he had to focus on [S]Collide and whatever's coming up tomorrow to hit the 4/13 deadline. Other people can do gorgeous as well (better?); the animations are the part that are unique to him.

The artist-drawn panels have had several bits that I regard fondly, and I'm pretty sure a hypothetical ARSENIC who had seen all possible art outcomes would miss them.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

subpar anachronism posted:

Crossposting from the weird fanart thread. It's... it's baffling. Where does one get an idea like this even??

Uhhhh well that's something. I've probably spent too much time reading about serial killers but that's definitely based off of the last photo of poor Regina Walters. :(

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Freak Futanari posted:

guys, i just got off the phone with hussie, and he agreed to give me one (1) frame of the Super Final Last Flash Animation

I do not want any Homestuck characters to be 'Topless' but destroying planets is par for the course already.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I thought of something that simultaneously resolves the two major gripes people had with the Battle of the Becs, those gripes being:

1) What was the point of having Jade in that battle if she didn't end up doing anything?, and

2) Why didn't PM "finish the job" (by killing Jack) after the battle ended?

I posit that the answer to both of these questions is that Jade interfering with their battle is the reason why PM didn't kill Jack outright. In other words, although PM "overcame" her Bec-loyalty to Jade by punching her in the snout (to establish superiority), Jade's interference still had a significant enough emotional effect on PM that PM settled for just maiming Jack rather than killing him. When viewed in this light, the thematic importance of the battle - as well as the characters' actions - becomes much clearer.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

I kind of think that this part's being treated like something it's not, it's like the wordless celebration scene in return of the King, and honestly I like seeing all the kids excited and reuniting. I don't see why we need twenty pages of chat logs for "AAAAAA WE DID IT AAAAAA" to make this slower.

Maybe I'm less than psyched for chat logs because some of the last ones were bad (sprite^2's talking about incest, vriska being a big fat bully, etc)

The thing is, you're totally right about this. If it weren't for the fact that we were coming back after like a year of no updates, then I think this would actually be fairly well received. But it's just a horribly awkward place to step into with as little lead-in as we got.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Freak Futanari posted:

we all know how homestuck will end

how could anyone argue that fans finishing the series is a bad thing in the face of this

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
To celebrate the final day, I offer this tribute:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

holy poo poo

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

outstanding

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Plom Bar posted:

mods?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Toxxupation posted:

On a more serious note, I get where people are coming from the anger/criticisms with the fact that direct leadup to the climax is wordless. I don't agree, but mostly because what this means is the climax and whatever attendant resolution afterwards have to be loving perfect. The comic has steadfastly refused to address any one of its legions of dangling plot threads before the climax, considering the act 6 finale was all combat focused, and, in general, poor. The lead-out from the act 6 finale and the lead-in to act 7 has been wordless, when it could've been used as a moment to support, justify, or clarify its own weaker or underdeveloped elements. Instead, it's all vague setup for The Final UpdateTM, putting even more stress on an overburdened finale.

Act 7 has to validate seven years of storytelling, a full half of which has been underdeveloped. Act 7 has to close out the stories for a little over a dozen main cast members, half of which are underdeveloped, bad characters, or both. Act 7 has to conclude its thematic aims, which have been confused and at cross purposes at best. Act 7 has to resolve its own tonal issues, which at this point I'd argue is more-or-less impossible to do so. Act 7 has to clarify and make worthwhile its own overly convoluted canon. Essentially, Act 7, even before the whole dialog-less lead-in, had to be so very good that it justified a full half or more of badness in the setup. There's things the post-Act 6 pre-Act 7 time period could've done to relieve some of the pressure - namely, satisfactorily conclude many characters' arcs - but instead of subtracting balls that he had to juggle at once, Hussie added more.

This isn't a bad narrative decision, but it relies entirely on the belief that Hussie can be better than best, more perfect than perfect. I'll leave it up to you to decide if he can.

See Toxx, I like it when you post like this. I wish you'd do it more.

Can we do something like a checklist of these dangling plot threads and thematic aims you have mentioned before? I'd like to see a checklist of things you feel "need" to be adressed if Homestuck to be considered "good", in your opinion.

Izzhov mentioned two, and there is still the eternal question "How exactly do we take on Lord English", but I think the rest of the plot is present and accounted for, but then I might be mistaken.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A tumblr user pointed out that "Alternia" would be the perfect track to end on. I can't argue with that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

paradoxGentleman posted:

See Toxx, I like it when you post like this. I wish you'd do it more.

I've done it all the time for literally years.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Plom Bar posted:

I'm at a loss for words.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Who What Now posted:

I'm at a loss for words.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Plom Bar posted:

I don't get it.

e:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A tumblr user pointed out that "Alternia" would be the perfect track to end on. I can't argue with that.

I too have thought this for a long-rear end time, it's a perfect end theme. Or alternatively, Lotus Bloom from volume 8 is a fantastic song that has some 'ending' vibes to it as well. Also "Farewell" from Land of Fans and Music 1, although that one's obviously not gonna happen.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 12, 2016

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Plom Bar posted:

I hate this. I love this. I hate you

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've been thinking this for years

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

CidGregor posted:

I don't get it.

im gonna make you stand at attention while i rip all the goon rank insignias and medals off your uniform

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Plom Bar posted:

That's not fair you're going to make me choke on my own laughter I can't die yet

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

CidGregor posted:

I don't get it.

I am legit surprised that there isn't an SAclopedia entry for this one.

Oh well. I guess sometimes you just have to most past these things and heal.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CidGregor posted:

I don't get it.

loss.jpg

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Now I'm upset that I didn't think to make that joke....

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Anyways to answer your question, it only needs to address one thing for me to find it personally satisfying, and that's doing right by its characters, most specifically its main four and Karkat.

Here's what the loosely defined "main cast" is:

• The Four Beta Children:
    • John
    • Dave
    • Jade
    • Rose
  • The Four Alpha Children:
    • Jake
    • Jane
    • Dirk
    • Roxy
  • The Four Alpha Trolls:
    • Kanaya
    • Karkat
    • Vriska
    • Terezi
  • Calliope

That's thirteen "main" protagonists alone. I have sincere doubts that all, or even most, of the thirteen will receive satisfactory conclusions. In addition, I would argue that there have been characters who are or have been tainted irrevocably (as, due to a confluence of being badly written, under-written, or both there's no realistic possibility of worthwhile closure).

Underwritten Protagonists:
  • Jade (Feels completely superfluous within the story as written due in large part to the awful additions of bloated side characters that have dominated screentime that should've been hers. Jade was a character unlike the other three Beta children whose character development was focused later on in the story, and the time that should've been spent actualizing Jade was spent on people like...)
  • Jane (self-evident)
  • Jake (self-evident)
  • Calliope (A weird edge case of being under-written by being over-written, she serves for so long and so rigidly as an exposition delivery system that she never feels actualized within the narrative as written.)

Badly Written Protagonists:
  • Dirk (Focused entirely on his godawful and ultimately pointless romantic entanglements or his AR struggles. Dirk's shallow character beats are repeated ad nauseum for the vast majority of his screentime and he never grows or changes until he hits his quest bed, and the fact that his single best moment is when he's talking to Dave makes Dirk a glorified "other person's character development" enabler.)
  • Jane (Focused entirely on her godawful and ultimately pointless romantic entanglements. Jane's shallow character beats are repeated ad nauseum for the vast majority of her screentime and she never grows or changes until she hits her quest bed. Still feels completely superfluous within the narrative as written, even now.)
  • Jake (Focused entirely on his godawful and ultimately pointless romantic entanglements. Jake has no character beats to repeat ad nauseum. Completely worthless character whose entire arc boils down to realizing how worthless he is.)

I expect all-to-most of these characters to receive unsatisfying or downright nonexistent conclusions to their arcs. Jade's the by-far most damning one of the lot (the alpha kids could burn for all I care, even Roxy's arc is more-or-less done considering she solved her alcoholism and repaired her relationship with Rose), and the only one of the five that I will be honestly broken up over if she doesn't go through some sort of catharsis to conclude her personal story.

So that's five of thirteen eliminated right off the bat. I expect (not hope, flatly expect) the other three main characters and Karkat to receive worthwhile conclusions. If that happens, I won't call Homestuck good but I will consider it satisfying.

Of the remaining four "protagonists" (Kanaya, Vriska, Terezi, Roxy), I would like Kanaya to conclude her arc satisfyingly, considering I'm a Virgo and she's my favorite non-Karkat troll. I don't expect her to (or expect it to be tied in directly with the quality or lack thereof of Rose's conclusion, which in and of itself is fine). Vriska I'm not concerned about, but also don't much care. I hated Vriska for a very long time but I've recognized that she's the character that Hussie arguably understands the best and writes the most well. Terezi will probably also fall by the wayside, which is probably okay since her big moment of actualization was enabling and planning every moment of the retcon. Roxy, as aforementioned, doesn't really need it - her story is more or less done.

The plot, tonal, or thematic issues I can raise and list, but on the other hand I expect all of them to end poorly (especially the middle one, since Homestuck's tone is an unclarified mess that hides behind "irony" almost all the time, and which leaks out and infects the other two issues. Especially theme, since it's very easy to argue that whatever Homestuck's "actual themes" are are actually the opposite because it's a subversion/inversion/deconstruction of the same. I find rigorous themic analysis of Homestuck to be pointless because of the fact that its reliance on cheapening its more effective moments behind the prosaic wall of irony means that there's no greater insights to be gained. You mine as well just psychoanalyze Andrew Hussie himself for all the good themic analysis will do.

No, that's best reserved for people like Oxxidation who care most intently about narrative and its attendant structures remaining sound. I can recognize and list the faults with Homestuck's construction, but that's ultimately irrelevant besides as a mental exercise. All I care about is if the characters I've spent the better part of a decade investing in actualize. Everything else I expect to fail on some level.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Plom Bar posted:

These posts can be as hard on the reader as on the poster.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

paranoid randroid posted:

im gonna make you stand at attention while i rip all the goon rank insignias and medals off your uniform

Plom Bar posted:

Ok I am aware of loss.jpg but I still didn't really get it until the bit about minimalist interpretations. And even then it's a bit of a stretch.

But that might just be my brain viscerally objecting to any sort of cross contamination between Homestuck and the garbage heap that is CAD.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

CidGregor posted:

Ok I am aware of loss.jpg but I still didn't really get it until the bit about minimalist interpretations. And even then it's a bit of a stretch.

But that might just be my brain viscerally objecting to any sort of cross contamination between Homestuck and the garbage heap that is CAD.

The minimalist/abstract renditions are the best ones. Kind of like an even more elaborate and subsequently aggravating rickrolling.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
theres something delightful and pure about loss. six lines conveying an entire lexicon of meaning.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

The minimalist/abstract renditions are the best ones. Kind of like an even more elaborate and subsequently aggravating rickrolling.

They really kind of are. It's always fantastic to have that moment of realization, or to see other people's reactions to that moment of realization. At this point my brain has been trained to immediately look for loss when I see the 4 panel layout. It like some sort of Pavlovian poo poo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

upd8! Gulp.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

A Long And Also Good Post

I think Terezi's in an awkward spot here, because her problem as written (namely, what looks a lot like a case of depression) just isn't something that can be wrapped up in the space available. She did have a great moment of self-actualization with planning the retcon, and with her role in defeating the Jacks with Dave and Dirk, but with the way she's just kind of wandering off on her own at this moment of triumph kind of shows that she hasn't really internalized her own self-worth yet, and still has a long way to go. It'd eat up a lot of time even if she was the only main character; in an ensemble cast I see approximately 0 chance of it being fully addressed.

To go full fanfic-mode here, I think the best way to sum up "things are going to get better for Terezi" with the space available at this point would be some good interaction with another character just kind of coming over and encouraging her, except that the people I could buy doing this (Karkat, Kanaya, most of the beta kids) are already very tied up with other people). Actually, just have Aradia fly over, I could accept that even though Aradia is largely not an actual character.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Edit:^^^^Yeah I have to agree that Terezi feels quite a bit like a loose end. If she had died as part of some heroic effort or moment of self-actualization (Vriska's kind of tainted the idea of a heroic sacrifice but let's just talk in narrative terms here) that might've closed out her character more clearly, but otherwise she's just a tiny bit isolated from the rest of the survivors and doesn't have anything she can do with the realizations Remember Me gave her.

Normally using a relationship as a writing crutch for "this character will live happily ever after" can be weak, but I have to say that if this were the original, pre-retcon timeline then her and Karkat getting back together would've been an easy way to signal they've each overcame their personal issues that contributed to splitting them up in the first place. In this timeline I guess it could be her friendship with Vriska, although a lot's still up in the air about Vriska's character and ending.

UPDATE indeed!

Just a few panels to establish PM and WV are indeed going to throw those rings in, and PM looks determined as gently caress. Although if the next update is a link to a flash or special html page it'll be funny the last "regular" panel update is an angry white sphere with two little angry eyes!

And they're holding hands, awwww.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 12, 2016

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Welp. I've got a night shift tonight so I will see you folks

tomorrow

also edit to say i'm probably more ok than i should be with the possibility that "That's the best loving question anybody ever asked." is the last line of dialogue in this comic forever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Between PM and John, this art is really not doing facial closeups any favors.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

You are coming down with me
Hand in unlovable hand
And I hope you die
I hope we both die

I like that, at the end, we're being reminded how alien the carapacian pawns really are. With all PM's been through, what she has to show for it are a few shallow scratches on her round ball head.

I don't think Calliope is a major character; she and Caliborn are there to illustrate (literally, in Callie's case) the Sburb hero's journey, and what happens when it goes wrong. I agree that Jade got criminally little development.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
nothing like a detailed close-up to remind you that PM is a nonhuman insectile chess person

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
i tried to go back and catch up on the 1000 pages of homestuck i hadn't read, but i got bored after like 70 pages, but let it be known that i tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, Calliope is a side character, she says as much herself (when she talks about her role being not that of a hero but a civilian). She's about as relevant as someone like Aradia, or Doc Scratch: characters who are important for parts of the comic and then fade into the background. Her part just happened to be closer to the end. Of course, I guess that could be a misdirection and this Calliope will be vital to the climax somehow...there's still the mystery of Serenity, who it's been hinted is some kind of manifestation of her Muse powers.

I think the real clinchers will be whether or not we get a solid wrap on Jake, Jane and Jade, and to a lesser extent Kanaya. These are all relatively major characters who've been a little shortchanged by the narrative and who seem like they're one step (or more!) away from the end of their arcs. Kanaya's the easiest to wrap up for sure, but giving Jake and Jane a satisfying ending seems like a tall order.