Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Do what I did and buy a ton of armour in 1:35th scale to reduce temptation of buying it in 1:72nd.

Note: this may not actually be cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Serotonin posted:

It really is.

I'm looking forward to it. The Irish warband is for my wife, and is a shameless attempt at using her ancestry as a hook. My nearest wargaming group is about a 2.5 hour drive, so, well, not happening often.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I've dabbled ever so slightly in historicals before - I played 15mm ACW (using Gettysburg Soldiers, which is low-crunch, super easy to learn, and plays very quickly) at Origins a couple of years ago. That prompted my first forays into painting 15mm mans:

I've also done a little bit of Union infantry (Iron Brigade) and a couple of artillery pieces as well. But I have almost no terrain for them.

But I really liked the way that Chain of Command played, and am intrigued for sure. If I do take the plunge, I think I'll start with some early war Americans and German Afrika Korps, because I played Tallarn Desert Raiders in 40K (thank the gods I finally got out of that hell-trap) and Haqqislam in Infinity, so I have a decent amount of desert-themed terrain.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ilor posted:

I've dabbled ever so slightly in historicals before - I played 15mm ACW (using Gettysburg Soldiers, which is low-crunch, super easy to learn, and plays very quickly) at Origins a couple of years ago. That prompted my first forays into painting 15mm mans:

I've also done a little bit of Union infantry (Iron Brigade) and a couple of artillery pieces as well. But I have almost no terrain for them.

But I really liked the way that Chain of Command played, and am intrigued for sure. If I do take the plunge, I think I'll start with some early war Americans and German Afrika Korps, because I played Tallarn Desert Raiders in 40K (thank the gods I finally got out of that hell-trap) and Haqqislam in Infinity, so I have a decent amount of desert-themed terrain.

The Perry DAK box is a very good start if you're playing 28mm, as you get your entire platoon in a single box. I used it to convert Gebirgsjägers, and it's a nice alternative to the bulkier and stockier Warlord Games minis.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Perry brothers make some amazing British (Australians with conversion kit) and Germans if you're looking at doing North Africa.

Efb

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Are those minis plastic or metal?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ilor posted:

Are those minis plastic or metal?

Plastic:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=2926

The British Desert Rat box has the same set-up, but they also released metal conversion kits to make all kinds of Commonwealth troops out of it, everything from Aussies to Scots to Sikhs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

I'm a filthy heretic who's jotting notes for a sci fi CoC houserule set :ohdear:
"I ain't will have had been shot yet then mum"?

Ensign Expendable posted:

Do what I did and buy a ton of armour in 1:35th scale to reduce temptation of buying it in 1:72nd.

Note: this may not actually be cheaper.
It may be the exact opposite of cheaper.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

Plastic:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=2926

The British Desert Rat box has the same set-up, but they also released metal conversion kits to make all kinds of Commonwealth troops out of it, everything from Aussies to Scots to Sikhs.

Just beware that the Perry WW2 plastics are weirdly smaller than other 28mm figures, including their own metals for some bizarre reason.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I like how the OPs description of SAGA is basically

Danes
English Danes
French Danes
Welch

:black101: :denmark: :black101:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

800-1100 AD is basically all Danes all the time in Northern Europe.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Broke out our 20mm BP models again the other day. My opponent left his frenchies at my place, so my miniatures cabinet is bursting with tiny men.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

DJ Dizzy posted:

I like how the OPs description of SAGA is basically

Danes
English Danes
French Danes
Welch

:black101: :denmark: :black101:

That's all there really was when Saga came out.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's all there really was when Saga came out.

The alternative would be to set it in the east instead:

Swedes
Jutes
Varangians
Slavs

A.k.a.
SAGA: eXtreme fur-trading edition
-I hope you like trading beaver skins!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Well there Byzantines with Varangians, Steppe Nonads and 2 flavours of Rus.
So Roman Vikings with immigrant English Vikings, Icy Vikings and not Vikings with bows.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I can update it, although I think Serotonin wrote the original. Someone give me something to add to it, &c., and I will.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the OP is pretty old, I remember writing some of my parts years ago.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Colonial Air Force posted:

I can update it, although I think Serotonin wrote the original. Someone give me something to add to it, &c., and I will.

I did coz I'm cool and poo poo. What's needed to update it?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

So I finally had enough of GW and got my gaming group to move to FOW.

About this time last year we put in a big bulk order, mostly through MilSims (A local place) and the rest through Battlefront directly for the odds and ends.

Then a whole pile of personal stuff came up and we all sort of forgot about it and figured the order wasn't submitted properly or something. I got a charge on my credit card the other day and decided to check up on it.

Battlefront charged me ~10 months after I placed the order, and shipped about a third of what I asked for whereas the other company had also charged me but turns out it was gone into administration and has folded.

Battlefront customer support has been *awful* as I sent emails weeks ago asking for them to explain what's going on or how 10 months is an okay shipping time period.

Anyone had any luck with contacting them, or am I being a sulky baby and should expect this from all miniatures companies? I guess I am just surprised that I moved from GW to somewhere that actually treats their customers worse.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Battlefront are, for some reason, really terrible about shipping things promptly. A few weeks ago I got a churchill I'd ordered several months ago randomly show up at my door. For places like PSC I've never had to wait more than a week or so for things I've ordered to come through, and usually like 2-3 days.

That said, I've yet to find a wargames company you can email and will actually respond.

EDIT: I think actually it's more like "If they have it in stock it goes out prompt, otherwise they hand-carve it from authentic egyptian pumice to make a new mould from scratch", since they dispatch plastics boxes relatively quick for people in NZ.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 13, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

I did coz I'm cool and poo poo. What's needed to update it?

Probably just a note on the expansions and other armies. The rules haven't really changed.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Karandras posted:

Ordering from Battlefront

Your just the latest in a long line of people getting burned by Battlefront's online "Store".

While Battlefront isn't one dude in a garage they aren't GW ether so what they have on hand is usually limited to newer stuff they recently released or the stuff that is very popular. The problem is that they will gladly take orders for stuff that is out of stock, and will be months before they have any stock, and not tell you about it because who ever manages that part of the business is a oval office.

So right now the only stuff that they probably have is Team Yankee, and the new Pacific Theater releases. I'd call them and cancel the order.

Sucks about the other place, hope you get your money back.

Your best bet it to order it from one of the larger online retailers (IE: The War store or whatever equivalent is in your country).

You should be playing Team Yankee anyway its the better game

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
GW actually replaced my Emps Champ, and my bud got an another Knight because the one FW sent him had problems.

GW today looks suspiciously like it's making good business decisions. On the other hand, the rules department is huffing paintstripper and running around pantsless. That's how tournament winning Marine lists are nearly identical space mongol hordes with free armed transports.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm trying to get into battlefield Vietnam. Getting American stuff is a nightmare, the infantry have been on order for a month, and there seems to be no chance of getting 15mm Huey slicks.
I've considered ordering from Battlefront, but I've heard the horror stories.

If the company I'm ordering through can't source them, I'll just have to use someone else - Peter Pig maybe.

Of course, then the temptation is to double the order, add some NVA and get sorted for some FNG....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

GW actually replaced my Emps Champ, and my bud got an another Knight because the one FW sent him had problems.

GW today looks suspiciously like it's making good business decisions. On the other hand, the rules department is huffing paintstripper and running around pantsless. That's how tournament winning Marine lists are nearly identical space mongol hordes with free armed transports.
GW have always been great at customer support when it comes to broken or missing parts. It's one of the reasons they had a good reputation back in the 90's.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm trying to get into battlefield Vietnam. Getting American stuff is a nightmare, the infantry have been on order for a month, and there seems to be no chance of getting 15mm Huey slicks.
I've considered ordering from Battlefront, but I've heard the horror stories.

If the company I'm ordering through can't source them, I'll just have to use someone else - Peter Pig maybe.

Of course, then the temptation is to double the order, add some NVA and get sorted for some FNG....

Double all the ranges and go to 1/72, duh.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I'm back to painting little men who look a bit upset at the circumstances.

"I knew I should've stayed in the tank!"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Double all the ranges and go to 1/72, duh.

Wait, INCREASE a scale in the game? You got that the wrong way around mate, most games are already to large a scale.

6mm for life.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Finally got my Team Yankee BMP company. Chose to go with BMP-2s. One BMP-2 HQ and 4 transport attachments is what I'm going for the beginning. After I'm done painting them (assembled them pretty easy in like 1.5 hours) I'll get a soviet infantry company to actually ride around in them.

The rulebook is great.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Phi230 posted:

Finally got my Team Yankee BMP company. Chose to go with BMP-2s. One BMP-2 HQ and 4 transport attachments is what I'm going for the beginning. After I'm done painting them (assembled them pretty easy in like 1.5 hours) I'll get a soviet infantry company to actually ride around in them.

The rulebook is great.

BMP-2 is great because every game ever treats the autocannon as helo killer. Plus, it had reshuffled the insides so that the driver and commander weren't sitting in the position for obsolete lever operated mines to get them (no effect in game).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Following soviet chat a few days ago, I ended up on Battlefront's forums where they have a recent thread about the state of soviets. Looking at the battlefront team responses there, I'm... not suffused with hope for their future. Maybe they'll look less bad if every other unit gets far less special rules in V4 also, but I don't think they really get that there's any issue. They seem to think Hero companies are good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Really after a while I've just come to the conclusion that Battlefront is basically made up of giant idiots who accidentally made a good game that sold well. Really if anything I just want to know who's running things on the business side of the show-some of their missteps with Digital briefings and especially the new Tanks game are just utterly mystifying.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They're just trying as hard as they can to be Games Workshop. And succeeding.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spectralent posted:

Following soviet chat a few days ago, I ended up on Battlefront's forums where they have a recent thread about the state of soviets. Looking at the battlefront team responses there, I'm... not suffused with hope for their future. Maybe they'll look less bad if every other unit gets far less special rules in V4 also, but I don't think they really get that there's any issue. They seem to think Hero companies are good.

What they need is more soviet tanks and more US infantry

And why is battlefront a poo poo company. Should i feel bad for giving them money

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Phi230 posted:

What they need is more soviet tanks and more US infantry

And why is battlefront a poo poo company. Should i feel bad for giving them money

I wouldn't say they're poo poo, they're just dumb.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I mean, to the "The soviet lists are all generic and undifferentiated from each other" complaint, the battlefront rep said "You can use the lists to make any particular corps you'd like". Which, like, yeah, no poo poo that's what a generic list is meant to do.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I will give them credit for having a massively comprehensive line. In a way the bad rules are a boon, since you can frequently find Flames figures on clearance or second-hand.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Tbh their stock issues are still probably being slammed by them pouring so much money into Dust over their core range but they're pretty incompetent in general.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
One tging im confused about in the team yankee rules us what constitutes a formation.

I already assembled my 5 BMPs and only 1 has a commander model vecause i thought i needed 1 commander

Also will my citadel paints pass for soviet camo circa 1985. I have all the paints listed in the how to paint cadians video on youtube

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phi230 posted:

One tging im confused about in the team yankee rules us what constitutes a formation.

I already assembled my 5 BMPs and only 1 has a commander model vecause i thought i needed 1 commander

Also will my citadel paints pass for soviet camo circa 1985. I have all the paints listed in the how to paint cadians video on youtube
You're gonna want to link that video.

The commander's BMP is going to be distinguished by a number of methods. The dude who you can stick out a hatch is the commander of that particular vehicle, not necessarily the whole unit. It's a convenient way to distinguish unit commanders, but not the only way at all. You do have the rules, right?