Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pugnax posted:

They've got a goofy name too, stubby birds? They're sluggy as hell to fly but do really pack a punch, which feels sort of odd for a roaming doctrine but it seems to be working. I do miss the sleips though.

What did he call the last batch of ships he'd take out?

It had an equally dumb name.

Just call it rear end Tarts and embrace the pun :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

you sick filth

Dude I know. I unironically had a great time in a Boat fleet and I hate myself for it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

only because he would have pulled out in time

Or never gotten the opportunity

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Siets posted:

Dude I know. I unironically had a great time in a Boat fleet and I hate myself for it.

Are you feeling ok? Do you need to seek mental health professionals? :ohdear:

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

only because he would have pulled out in time

My mom doesn't take no for an answer if you know what I mean.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

you sick filth

Also I'm hungry for those tengu fits of yours! :f5:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
Yeah I liked boat fleets too, he just seems like a guy who is just having fun so it's hard for me to dislike him no matter how dumb he can be.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Yeah I liked boat fleets too, he just seems like a guy who is just having fun so it's hard for me to dislike him no matter how dumb he can be.

:same:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DisgracelandUSA posted:

He's specifically talking about Space Violence, TopGoon, FreedomSquad, Reavers. MiniLuv is a SIG and operates 24/7, peacetime or war time (the killing is good when everyone is red); Reavers is mostly dead, or is on a deployment-only thing (only active when deployed). The only other current SIGs are Bomberwaffe and EG AFAIK (edit -- and BlackOps). The only currently active squads are Theta and Space Violence, and I think Space Violence is less differentiated from peace time Main Fleet at the moment, while Theta is far more social than anything else unless you're inspectah-deklein crew or whatever they call it now.

It's actually pretty sad imo. When I got into Goonwaffe, it felt a lot like a "big college" atmosphere. Tons of people that all blend into one face, but there were clubs and intramural sports for people that wanted to do different stuff. I spent my first 6 months trying out each of the Squads to figure out what I liked. I got my first podkill with TopGoon camping Delve; I experienced my first drunk FC with a midnight roam by Dod Kalm in Space Violence. SUAS yelled at me for not being able to fly T2 Logi after I'd been playing for a month, and I did something with Freedom Squad once upon a time before settling into MiniLuv.

There's not really that diversity of activities to do anymore. But rightfully so. Running a SIG/Squad is a fuckton of work and the only reason MiniLuv is still standing is because of Warr, Me and our ridiculously large (12) team of leadership people running fleets, generating content, helping with logistics and generally hyping the line.

If people want, I'll sperg more, but it's really hard, especially in those first 6 months. It took me from November '14 until about April '15 before I had settled into running MiniLuv and people had started trusting me as an FC and a leader.

What these posts boil down to is simply "the people I used to play with aren't doing stuff anymore, therefore there is nothing to do.".

You guys can move your goal posts all day long, but it all comes down to the fact there's plenty to do, and has been for quite a while.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Boat fleets are fun if you just don't listen to him.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Boat may not be the guy you want leading super crazy expensive fleets, but he is a national treasure and the game would be worse without him. Asset to any group just for content generation.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

And Rock is off to visit the space archives in new caldari because I looked at the map and that is an awesome name. Plus I love reading.

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine
Boat is hilarious until he opens his mouth about anything that isn't FCing. Then he's hilariously cringeworthy.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Kalenn Istarion posted:

CainFortea posted:

MiniLuv, reavers, HS. Yup, there certainly are not sigs that go out and do poo poo during peace time

SV is still a thing

scandoslav posted:

This was my plan for HS, but I could never destroy Theta.

Managed to kill off SV, TopGoon, and most of BlackOps, though

SV isn't dead, it's just different from what it was when you and I both started.

Mmm, I think SmilingVagrants point is that the coalition/alliance doesn't really cater to a lot of different types of play styles. Before I continue, I may be entirely wrong because I'm not in SV and I don't do nullsec play hardly ever (every three months or so), and I'm not trying to diss what Mark Atreides is doing at all.

SV is still a thing, but as far as I understand it, it was (lol) essentially a home base patrol of Deklein. At least, that's how KF dudes in MiniLuv described it. At that point, the only functional difference between doing SV and going on all-all or gsf-all pings for homeland defense is the community it fosters and the doctrines they call for. Now, in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with a squad like this existing, but the effective difference between doing what (I think) SV does and what general public pings to do run fleets with the same general purpose is small.

Compare that to SV of yesteryear, which focused on small / microgang activity, living in NPC nullsec, far away from the gentle bosom of Goondom. I'm not gonna make a statement on whether old-SV was good for the alliance, strategic, non-strategic, a drain on resources, etc. But I will say that the existence of SV in that form added to the breadth of things you could do in GSF with the support/backing of an infrastructure and leadership that made it possible.

Again, take this with a grain of salt, as I asked to be purged from all SIGs/Squads (minus Theta) once MiniLuv started getting crazy, so I don't know what SV actually does, but even if I'm wildly wrong on the purpose of SV fleets, I think the point still stands. Again, I'm a big loving spergy tryhard who could super sperg about SIGs, Squads, their problems and their benefits, and what, in my opinion, the alliance should do about them alllllll fuckinnggggg dayyyyyy so keep responding if you want me to keep sperging.

Edit:

CainFortea posted:

What these posts boil down to is simply "the people I used to play with aren't doing stuff anymore, therefore there is nothing to do.".

You guys can move your goal posts all day long, but it all comes down to the fact there's plenty to do, and has been for quite a while.

That's one interpretation, but also see above. Speaking from a 3 months ago perspective, if reavers weren't deployed, there wasn't much place to get in on organized fun that wasn't in the homeland and wasn't roaming all the way to black rise or cloud ring or something. TopGoon regularly deployed to hostile zones, and old-SV lived in NPC nullsec which is, by definition, hostile.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 12, 2016

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

pmchem posted:

Boat may not be the guy you want leading super crazy expensive fleets, but he is a national treasure and the game would be worse without him. Asset to any group just for content generation.

That level of enthusiasm, regardless of sperg, is priceless.

Also- hello person responsible for my first EVE loss.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Bring back greek letter squads

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

^ Gamma Squad best squ :effort:

Gotta turn down my headphones when I'm in a boat fleet cause he tries to make me deaf(er).

Since getting the implant he's literally the only person I've turned down the volume for.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

VideoGames posted:

And Rock is off to visit the space archives in new caldari because I looked at the map and that is an awesome name. Plus I love reading.

If you do stick around for another 30 days and you're interested, there are a sight-seeing spots across Eve and I bet you could get a small fleet together of people here to show them off to you. Most of them are fairly lore heavy and outside of high-sec though. Some of them are even built in response to player driven events, like the Amarr memorial (which I think is still there?) and B-R graveyard.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Xolve posted:

That level of enthusiasm, regardless of sperg, is priceless.

Also- hello person responsible for my first EVE loss.

?? what did I do I don't remember. Also I want a SA name to goonfleet name translator :(

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hole Squad still exists, you can join us, were not dead :ohdear:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Goatman Sacks posted:

rho squad: we tried to set up a pos once and made some funny forum sigs

thank you for reading the comprehensive history of rho squad

Octavious
Dec 29, 2004

Juices so sweet and sassy

Goatman Sacks posted:

Delta 4 lyfe

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

nessin posted:

If you do stick around for another 30 days and you're interested, there are a sight-seeing spots across Eve and I bet you could get a small fleet together of people here to show them off to you. Most of them are fairly lore heavy and outside of high-sec though. Some of them are even built in response to player driven events, like the Amarr memorial (which I think is still there?) and B-R graveyard.

I would really like that. The archives was not as exciting as I had hoped. I thought I might be docked and there would be books everywhere and it would look like an awesome library.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Id take Videogames out to see all the crazy super secret drifter poo poo but sadly Tokyo Drifters isn't a thing anymore :sigh: I hope I can rebuild it one day.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

VideoGames posted:

I would really like that. The archives was not as exciting as I had hoped. I thought I might be docked and there would be books everywhere and it would look like an awesome library.

Sadly the station names are just fluff. Any reading materials exist out of game (outside of a couple items with less than a paragraph of text).

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

pmchem posted:

?? what did I do I don't remember. Also I want a SA name to goonfleet name translator :(

hes pl not goonfleet

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

pmchem posted:

Oh it was years and years ago, on a character I sold ages ago.

Apparently it wasn't my first loss after all. I'm also Xolve in-game, and just about everywhere (except gamefaqs apparently).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Holy moly I got another donation! Thank you so much!
This truly is my favourite forum thread.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ah the days when you still got insurance on suicide ganks, before pubbies cried to ccp too much about the mean goonies.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

vodkat posted:

And thats the exact sentiment that made me leave goonwaffe yesterday

You know you could just turn off jabber if you're not going to be playing eve.

also why are you using jabber except for eve

~my aol aim~

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

Penif still owns it. He was trying to sell the alliance a year or two ago.

How much

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
And it would probably end in Videogames having to kill someone or getting sucked into a super wormhole and ripped apart at the subatomic level so :v:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGames posted:

B-R5RB is a Nullsec system so you probably won't be able to get there on your own.

That said check this blog out for other EVE landmarks :sun: - https://evetravel.wordpress.com/sites-by-region/

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

far too much

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I forget. I know Mittani joked about buying it in the TMC jabber when the thread got made on EVE-O.

Edit - Here's the thread https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=302443

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

VideoGames posted:

Oh no you misunderstand me. I was asking if asign was a goon Corp because I worried that maybe last night someone tried to scam me or get me to spy in a roundabout way.

I don't plan on joining any corps really. If anything I would just have my own Rock Venture Chill Mining Friends corp for fun.

I would like to join Rock Venture Chill Mining Friends corp please.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Unfunny Poster posted:

B-R5RB is a Nullsec system so you probably won't be able to get there on your own.

That said check this blog out for other EVE landmarks :sun: - https://evetravel.wordpress.com/sites-by-region/

Thank you! I have bookmarked it for future use and I have a mining upgrade skill working for me. It is a 4 day one that lets me use my mining laser upgrade 1 module.

I think I might take a brief look at the missions before I have to log off for the evening, but yikes, it's been a long time since I had this kind of excitement about a game and I wish I could putter about all night again. I am so eager to travel about and discover things and mine some lonely asteroids!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Xolve posted:

It was pretty stupid.

Fair.

I like how the last 20 pages are 'LOL we're not going to fight you 4:1' but you expect 30 dudes to fight a 60 man Swordfleet + a 70 man WL Mach/Muninn fleet.

I'm not what you would call an FC. I just show up and shoot things and find other ways to be useful.

Also- I'm in Sniggerdly, premiere powerhouse pvptriage feeding corporation in the Pandemic Legion alliance.

This isn't what happened, at all. You're free to think it is however.

You warped your supers on grid which had the effect of me going lol nope so it doesn't really matter what your motivations were

:wink:

Unfunny Poster posted:

Mukk does the Astartes for PL.

I know Mukk fcs, I'm just interested to see one of our very own forums superstars in my tz

Xolve posted:

Swordfleet/Jackdaws/Caracals don't matter, we fight that outnumbered all the time.

My point was- we're not going to feed to Elo, and I personally, am not going to feed to Fweddit.

:ironicat:

'You guys should totally feed but feeding is dumb lol why would we do that"

I wish I was this good at talking out of both sides of my mouth

nessin posted:

If you're trying to catch up to a existing fleet, unless they're literally next door or hitting something in lowsec, you're probably not going to make it. You don't even stand a good chance in a interceptor because at least one gate is going to have a smart bomb setup on it.

This is about having enough to undock rather than trying to get people to catch up

SV does 'things which are interesting and don't require or want 100 dudes', which includes small gang / gatecamps / bombing bombers / torp bombers / secret squirrel poo poo / whatever

So as I said it's different from old SV but still a place that is fun and doesn't require grindring through tidi

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 12, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I know Mukk fcs, I'm just interested to one of very own forums superstars in my tz

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

Thank you! I have bookmarked it for future use and I have a mining upgrade skill working for me. It is a 4 day one that lets me use my mining laser upgrade 1 module.

I think I might take a brief look at the missions before I have to log off for the evening, but yikes, it's been a long time since I had this kind of excitement about a game and I wish I could putter about all night again. I am so eager to travel about and discover things and mine some lonely asteroids!

:3:

i feel like this is how people see my posts about dark souls III right now

• Locked thread