Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think my old intake mani was warped enough to have a vacuum leak because it was pinging at WOT >4000 before but it doesn't now.

Also, the engine actually warms up! Incredible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 4, 2020

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
By 100k the dampers will have no damp.

After I put some miles on my GT it became pretty easy to tell what was happening to it - used to feel heavy but I can whip it around pretty well now. Might chalk it up to you don't know the car yet. But on the other hand, any NE stang's gonna need like $1000 in suspension goodies to get close to cornering well. Look at the Maximum Motorsports Bilstein kit - factory setup isn't far removed from a '78 Fairmont.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Extra posted:

Perhaps this is sort of a silly quip but having some more time to drive around the NEMV6 compared to my Focus it feels very disconnected? They're both about as old (13 years) with the Mustang having half the mileage (100k vs 200k). Going into a corner at the same speed feels much more scary in the Mustang because it doesn't seem to communicate as well with the driver. Though it could just take some more time to get used to the Mustang.Despite being only 400 pounds more heavy than the Focus the Mustang seems to have a boat like feel.

The car was bought because it was the cheapest newest FR I could find but perhaps that was naive.

Is there something that can be done to greatly improve the handling of the Mustang without spending a few grand or is that kind of responsive feeling only generally available in lighter FR vehicles like the Miata, MR-S, S2000, etc. ?

e: MR-S isn't FR :doh:

The only way it's going to get better is to spend at least $1k. Springs, dampers, and caster/camber plates will make a big difference. Add in a panhard bar and sub-frame connectors to make it even better.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/1994-98-Mustang-1999-04-GT-Starter-Box-P185.aspx
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/1999-04-GT-hardtop-Sport-Box-P964.aspx

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Is this gear whine normal? From 0:14 to 0:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6pKrd4VSOg&t=14s

I have the 3.73s and torsen diff

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 2, 2016

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Extra posted:

Is there something that can be done to greatly improve the handling of the Mustang without spending a few grand or is that kind of responsive feeling only generally available in lighter FR vehicles like the Miata, MR-S, S2000, etc. ?

New springs, shocks & struts will help but that set will be about 1200 + installation. these are not the things that will make your car a corner carver though. it will improve stability and driving performance.
Maximum Motorsports is hands down the go to for anything mustang suspension related. There are other vendors that are cheaper like UPR which if you are looking to save money you could use them. if you are gonna sell the car soon, perhaps go with them? Personally I go with MM.

lets assume everything in your car is perfect and you really dont need to replace anything. you have other problems you will have to look at to become a corner carver monster.

The rear end, has crappy lower control arms to handle up/down movement, and quad link connectors to handle the left/right movement. Since you have a solid axle these LCA and quads dont work very well.
so when you go around a corner at high speed the wheels bind up/hop/and slide out. the fix is stronger LCA's, panhard bar, and torque arm. each component adds to the grip and cornering capability.
this is what you are feeling when you do the corners.

The front is a macpherson strut design is ehhhh in terms of good design. but the problem is that you cant dial in your caster when going around corners. Miata's have SLA (short long arms) so corning on the tires is much more effective.
thats why a stock miata is better for autocrossing than a stock mustang. a miata will destroy a mustang in this regard. you can also set up your CC plates to adjust the toe of your front tires. you sacrifice straitaway stabilty for corner carving. you can upgrade your macpherson struts setup to SLA but its like $8000 for this and not many stangs have it.

so I would recommend a panhard bar and LCA's for corner carving but you are looking at close to $800. Normally you do start with a new set of springs, shocks, struts, and CC plates and build from there. but you can do performance mods in any order you want.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I got some goodies today.

Won't be going on till this weekend because it's very cold out still and my car is filthy from the snow.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Mustang people of the MuscleShirtThread, hear my plea- I need a number of under hood shots of a roughly 2012-2014 V8 mustang. I want to replicate the stock layout with my coyote Maverick build, so I need some reference.

If you're willing and able to get some pictures, please deposit them in the Wile E Mavis thread. Thanks, and thank you to whoever cracked up their 2013 mustang to provide us with the drivetrain.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I sucked out the power steering fluid reservoir and filled it back up with power steering fluid. Then I actually read up on it and found the thing called for Mercon ATF.

I have 8 hours of driving to do over the next two days, am I going to destroy my ps pump? Everything I've read is just people asking if they can replace power steering fluid with ATF which is the opposite of what I did

:ohdear:

edit: Sucked it out and put in ATF, couple bucks isn't worth any possible trouble.

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 8, 2016

Asian Babe Lover
Sep 11, 2001

i'd be a big black bear bears are strong me to

Asian Babe Lover posted:

The car I ordered back in July finally came in:

:siren:GT350 UPDATE:siren:

Engine blew at 1554 miles, lmao.

:siren:THIS CONCLUDES THE GT350 UPDATE:siren:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So how many stop lights did you not redline out of?

Asian Babe Lover
Sep 11, 2001

Vahakyla posted:

So how many stop lights did you not redline out of?

I hit redline twice, as 1445 of those miles were driving cross country after picking it up. The remaining ~100 miles were mostly driving in the rain, since it has rained here like ever day since I got it here. I got a sudden loss of oil pressure at 2,500 RPM in third gear in traffic, followed by catastrophic engine failure before I could even get in the right lane and pull off the road.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Built Ford tough.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That's really lovely. You are fine with the warranty though.

It'd be interesting to know what happened to it? Do you have any ideas or pictures?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I just checked Mustang forums and apparently there's an oil pump issue with the gt350s causing booms????

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Down payment went to Engine Replacement apparently.

Asian Babe Lover
Sep 11, 2001

I think it was an oil pump failure, as this seems to be the fourth engine that something similar has happened to.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Can any of you Mustang folks look over this ad and see if there's anything you see that's questionable or alarming? I'm going to be looking this over for my father in law when I'm in the area in about a week and would like to be a little more prepared. I know what I'm looking at generally with cars but I don't know classic cars or Mustangs well really.

http://www.listingallcars.com/details/1965-Ford-Mustang-Used/4541125988744951758

Here was my short list of things I saw.

-Center caps, front emblem and maybe other badges look like they're missing.
-Ad says they're 3 point but they look like 4 point belts. 4 point seat belts aren't DOT compliant (unless they're a specific model of Schroth belts) and not really a safe belt since they allow you submarine in the event of a crash.
-Fram oil filter. No idea why they'd spend all that money and then put a Fram on there.
-I'd have to look at some others but the radiator support under the hood looks a little wrinkled, maybe it's been tapped up front or that's been replaced.
-Carburetor on a 96 engine. Yes it works but obviously not what that engine had originally.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

5 speed transmission in a '65? Heresy.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Larrymer posted:

Can any of you Mustang folks look over this ad and see if there's anything you see that's questionable or alarming? I'm going to be looking this over for my father in law when I'm in the area in about a week and would like to be a little more prepared. I know what I'm looking at generally with cars but I don't know classic cars or Mustangs well really.

http://www.listingallcars.com/details/1965-Ford-Mustang-Used/4541125988744951758

Here was my short list of things I saw.

-Center caps, front emblem and maybe other badges look like they're missing.
-Ad says they're 3 point but they look like 4 point belts. 4 point seat belts aren't DOT compliant (unless they're a specific model of Schroth belts) and not really a safe belt since they allow you submarine in the event of a crash.
-Fram oil filter. No idea why they'd spend all that money and then put a Fram on there.
-I'd have to look at some others but the radiator support under the hood looks a little wrinkled, maybe it's been tapped up front or that's been replaced.
-Carburetor on a 96 engine. Yes it works but obviously not what that engine had originally.

Paint isn't great - painted over the door latches, for instance.
That's not a carburetor - it's MSD throttle body fuel injection
That radiator core support looks pretty normal - the original stamping has those wrinkles.
Those front tires will contact the fenders if you're not super careful driving.

You can get a lot nicer car for that money, methinks.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Asian Babe Lover posted:

I hit redline twice, as 1445 of those miles were driving cross country after picking it up. The remaining ~100 miles were mostly driving in the rain, since it has rained here like ever day since I got it here. I got a sudden loss of oil pressure at 2,500 RPM in third gear in traffic, followed by catastrophic engine failure before I could even get in the right lane and pull off the road.

That's pretty crappy. Might want to check the manual about engine break-in. I think I remember mine, 06 4.6, said that for the first X number of miles, you shouldn't drive it at a constant RPM or at least limit it as much as possible. Maybe 500 or 1k if memory serves. If you were driving cross country, I would think that would be a lot of constant RPM miles. Sorry to hear you're going to be without that amazing car for a while.

Asian Babe Lover
Sep 11, 2001

Trampus posted:

That's pretty crappy. Might want to check the manual about engine break-in. I think I remember mine, 06 4.6, said that for the first X number of miles, you shouldn't drive it at a constant RPM or at least limit it as much as possible. Maybe 500 or 1k if memory serves. If you were driving cross country, I would think that would be a lot of constant RPM miles. Sorry to hear you're going to be without that amazing car for a while.

I varied between 4th, 5th and 6th on the highway and didn't use cruise control for this very reason, and the first 100 miles or so was in traffic, and/or back roads. Plus I'm pretty sure the reason to do this is to properly seal the rings, so it shouldn't result in engine failure if it didn't occur, just increased oil consumption.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Got wheels on today after struggling for hours getting my cold side charpe pipe not to fly off under boost after I did hks bov swap.

Car is dirty and the sun was in the worst spot but whatever.

The Super Sports are an amazing tire. The ride is actually way nicer than the Eagle F1s and the grip is INSANE.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
So what's a NE GT in very good mechanical and exterior shape realistically worth? Between kbb and what I see on Craigslist there's like a $8k range.

Trying to let mine go for a reasonable price, but that's hard to figure.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Mileage will be your biggest factor and one that we can't answer without.

I've seen them as low as 2k to over 15k.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
110k. With service receipts from like 78k.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
If its absolutely mint maybe 8k if completely stock.
if you can put back stock parts back on if you modded anything, that will help resale.
no one wants your mods.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's mostly stock 9/10 but I don't have the stock pipe to replace the SS Flowmaster 40 cat back kit that came on the car when I got it. I thought all stangs needed a cat back though :)

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
In that case its pretty minor mod, and fairly simple to change out. I would say 7k ball park is on the higher end of the spectrum but manageable
Of course ask for more money and let them whittle you down during bargaining so you can still walk away with the bare minimum you are willing to take.

thats based on miles, the exhaust mod, being a 9 out of 10.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
OK sounds like I'm in the ballpark, I have it up for $6500 with a little room to negotiate in mind.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
What are your plans after you sell it? You have the only gold mustang around here. :(

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I have too many vehicles. I need a truck that can pull more stuff than my Ranger can, so I am looking for something like a F150 or Bronco to replace the Stang and the Ranger. I figure if the Stang is gone I will have more motivation to get my RX-7 going too.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Just go ahead and block traffic from Jalopnik on your router or hosts, whatever works. What a piece of poo poo website.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Just go ahead and block traffic from Jalopnik on your router or hosts, whatever works. What a piece of poo poo website.
Because they have an article on mustangs today? Mustang owners are the worst, they have a point.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Mustang owners may possibly even be worse than Subaru drivers.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Mustangs are complete poo poo. I only lowered mine so people wont see me when i drive by because i am so embarrassed.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Mustangs are cool as hell its the owners that are the worst.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Buy a Camaro, be cool.

http://jalopnik.com/chill-rear end-cop-gives-camaro-driver-coupon-for-going-171-1770454583

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Sorry that website doesn't work for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Sorry that website doesn't work for some reason

I find your rage for that site hilarious. Yes, many poo poo articles and I'm not a huge fan of it myself but who cares that much that they made fun of your car of choice?