Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

I just meant would it reign supreme in ranked... would I have a reason to take it over a Benson.

The Kiev/Tashkent don't share the same purpose as a Benson in ranked. Those DDs are meant to engage DDs and BBs at range and hit them while being hard to damage back. The Benson forces close range battles with its high concealment and chainsaws enemy DDs into oblivion before they have a chance to pull range on it. It can also stealth torp, and is better at contesting objectives if stealth is required.

The main issue with the Blys vs the Kiev/Tashkent is that the Blys isn't as fast as the Kiev or Tashkent, only doing 39 knots to their 42.5. It does have significantly longer ranged torpedoes than the Kiev, with better speed than even the Tashkent's own 8km torps. But this isn't the primary armament of the Blys, nor is it of the Tashkent.

The Benson reigns supreme in Ranked due to it's long lasting smokescreen, high RoF guns, medium ranged torps, and high concealment, coupled with the rarity of CVs in ranked. It will not fare as well in the upcoming ranked season, as the New Orleans and Chapayev can both bring Surveillance Radar to a Ranked match, either forcing the Benson out to range or dying in it's smoke cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Also, being tier 8 the benson can have the concealment mod, the blys cant. I was also thinking about the blys in ranked but i dont think its worth it even if i really like the ship.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

saihttam posted:

Also, being tier 8 the benson can have the concealment mod, the blys cant. I was also thinking about the blys in ranked but i dont think its worth it even if i really like the ship.

I used the Blys last season and it worked 'okay' up to Rank ~10. The Lo Yang and Benson are king poo poo for ranked, followed by the Fubuki and then I'd say the Blys comes in ahead of the Kiev/Tashkent simply because it had usable torpedoes whereas the Soviet DDs' torpedoes are more decorative than functional.

Bringing a Hatsuharu or a Mahan or a Sims is a crime against your teammates, just don't do it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Khisanth Magus posted:

Hahahahaha, bonus 2x xp for your first win with each ship. Take out my Kongo I'm trying to get high enough to buy a Fuso. Put on the camo to increase XP as well as the bonus XP Signal. I'm like the second death on my team, total XP after all the bonuses? 2,200. Totally awesome use of all the bonuses.

Every single time I have tried that in order to max out a double/triple whatever the end result is our team fails miserably and melts like butter or I am downtiered facing ships that easily outrange me and they might have a couple of extra higher tier ships so I get wrecked quickly. This happened a couple of days ago in a division where every match the other team would have a couple of extra tier 7's and poo poo. MM just loving our division as expected.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Are all the high vis torp mods all broken? Nothing seems to work and I have taken a few hits from simply not being able to see the torp trails.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I be clubbin'

Guess I'll be at the top again tomorrow. :smugdon:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

jownzy posted:

I be clubbin'

Guess I'll be at the top again tomorrow. :smugdon:

Honestly I feel like I'd get bored of sealclubbing after five or six hours.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

wdarkk posted:

Honestly I feel like I'd get bored of sealclubbing after five or six hours.

Nothing else to grind, no one on to div with. Just need money.

Sometimes it's kind fun to see how hard you can carry. I think we only had 2 ships left when I went on to kill 5 ships in this game. You also look up your teammates and see some of the worst ratings ever. It's really incredible.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Had my first ever good game in the Izumo. 2982 base XP, 131,414 damage.

All thanks to the enemy team having two stock Amagis and a lousy Baltimore player.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm having a hell of a time with the Ryujo so far. Is it better to go with the air superiority or strike loadout? Because superiority isn't working too well for me.

Air Superiority used to be the best, but that flipped when they shuffled all the planes around a patch or two ago. That resulted in the Independence getting a huge improvement in fighter capability, at the expense of taking something like 80 seconds to ready a replacement squadron if all 6 planes get shot down. Now you're better off going whole hog on strike in the Ryujo and maximising ship damage.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I took a break from floating botes in mid-February, just picked it back up, and I seem to have picked up a major glitch. When I patched the game it pulled a serious error and the client was bombing before I could get into the harbot. Uninstalled it, reinstalled, and now I can get into the harbor but when I start a match, the loading screen before a match doesn't go away. I've still got the HUD icons on top, but they don't go away either. The nastiest particle trails you ever saw. The only thing that seems to be working anything like right is the minimap. I can't even take a screenshot, because it gets corrupted.

Is this a known issue, or is my system just crashtastic?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

Air Superiority used to be the best, but that flipped when they shuffled all the planes around a patch or two ago. That resulted in the Independence getting a huge improvement in fighter capability, at the expense of taking something like 80 seconds to ready a replacement squadron if all 6 planes get shot down. Now you're better off going whole hog on strike in the Ryujo and maximising ship damage.

Honestly I wouldn't take Strike on an Indy. Balanced (stock) is the way to go, you need a fighter buzzing around otherwise you'll just give up an easy win to a strike Ryujo, who WILL have a fighter who gets to freely strafe your planes as much as he wants, and you don't have the reserves to take those strafes. The Ryujo is just overpowered at T6 compared to the Indy, it's very sad.

US CVs up to T7 should be going balanced or AS, the Ranger gets a bonus mention for being able to carry 2 DBs and 2 Fighters at the same time, a good combination. IJN CVs should always be strike to T7. At T8+, the roles start to swap, with US going strike, and IJN taking more balanced or AS loadouts. Of course, IJN can still function as strike, but their damage isn't as good as the US CVs, and there's a lot of powerful AA boats up here who can ruin your squads, while US bombers are more resilient to the same.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

Honestly I wouldn't take Strike on an Indy. Balanced (stock) is the way to go, you need a fighter buzzing around otherwise you'll just give up an easy win to a strike Ryujo, who WILL have a fighter who gets to freely strafe your planes as much as he wants, and you don't have the reserves to take those strafes. The Ryujo is just overpowered at T6 compared to the Indy, it's very sad.

I was talking about taking strike on the Ryujo, not the Indy, and since they shuffled the planes the Ryujo isn't anywhere near as far ahead of the Indy as it used to be.

I logged in to try the bathtub botes, and the client offered me three days premium for free, so I took them. Favourite moment, charging at a Nagato in my Aoba because he's staggering his turrets in order to catch my broadside in a turn, Nagato and a Myoko backing me up, but this thing isn't sinking. His secondaries force the turn, my torps miss, and as I'm exploding I'm wondering what this loving Myoko is doing to not be damaging the Nagato... at which point I notice that it is not a Myoko, but instead a Myogi, that by virtue of being divisioned with an Omaha has been dragged into a tier 7 battle, and the poor bastard has been trying hard but with little effect. As opposed to the friendly Nagato, who did, can you guess? That's right, he sat in the loving back sniping from behind an island, didn't take any damage until he was the 2nd last ship left. rear end in a top hat.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 10, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Cobbsprite posted:

I took a break from floating botes in mid-February, just picked it back up, and I seem to have picked up a major glitch. When I patched the game it pulled a serious error and the client was bombing before I could get into the harbot. Uninstalled it, reinstalled, and now I can get into the harbor but when I start a match, the loading screen before a match doesn't go away. I've still got the HUD icons on top, but they don't go away either. The nastiest particle trails you ever saw. The only thing that seems to be working anything like right is the minimap. I can't even take a screenshot, because it gets corrupted.

Is this a known issue, or is my system just crashtastic?

I was having an issue a while back where my client was also crashing during startup, so it might be the same thing. I never reinstalled, though, just let it alone and eventually it started working again--probably they patched it.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
I discovered joy that is Kiev. I just now kited and methodically dismantled to death Cleveland that just couldnt land a hit on me. And I think that its not because the driver was bad shot but because its practically impossible to land a hit with Cleveland on that cheetah of ship. Yes I have AFT on captain so the range is nice 13.5km, looking forward to have almost 15km with FCS. Will I be able to stealth fire with it? And how Mahan compares with it? Hatsu compares unfavorable imo but they are completely different ships with different roles and Kiev just more fun to play imo.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

After a rather rough night of match ups, we div'd down a bit.

The results were :captainpop:

Special thanks to the fail division on our side, probably wouldn't have been possible without those shitters. At least they can count to three.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I was actually really surprised when I got kill #5, since I thought that DD was going to get away. It had an island between himself and me, but the fire ticked over, and that rude individual was sent to the bottom.

Also that last Roon/Essex game was nuts. We had no right winning that. Enemy team had to be raging hard.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Lady Morgaga posted:

I discovered joy that is Kiev. I just now kited and methodically dismantled to death Cleveland that just couldnt land a hit on me. And I think that its not because the driver was bad shot but because its practically impossible to land a hit with Cleveland on that cheetah of ship. Yes I have AFT on captain so the range is nice 13.5km, looking forward to have almost 15km with FCS. Will I be able to stealth fire with it? And how Mahan compares with it? Hatsu compares unfavorable imo but they are completely different ships with different roles and Kiev just more fun to play imo.

Right before launching the Russian DD line they gave them a totally unique nerf - their guns add like 6km detection range instead of the roughly 4k guns of that caliber should add - purely for balance reasons. So I think you can technically stealth fire right at the very edge of your range, but there is so little room for error it would probably be counterproductive to actively try doing it. Concealment expert (and the tier 8+ concealment upgrade) will make the envelope a little bigger, but I almost think you would be better off using Demo Expert or the HP skill instead of CE.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

There are times when I swear this game is "World of Middle School Dance". You end up with two teams just circling around their spawns to terrified of sailing with in 10km of a landmass or 20km of the enemy and the tickets just slowly tick down.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
After much suffering

I'm finaly the happy owner of a Zao

It's not as pretty as a Heidenburg but after only 1 game I'm already in love, the guns are incredible compared to previous cruisers.
Didn't have the chance to use the torps but the arcs don't seem that bad.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Unfortunately the torps are a let down. I'd much rather have the Ibuki torps. But everything else about Zao is a class above the previous cruisers.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Who are you people and why have you gotten to tier 10 without ever interacting with the TS/discord goon presence :negative:

vvvvvvvv There's like 5 people on right now

Pacra fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 12, 2016

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Pacra posted:

Who are you people and why have you gotten to tier 10 without ever interacting with the TS/discord goon presence :negative:

I have three Tier 10s now and whenever I pop into Discord its as quiet as the grave

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Can anybody fix my boat? I dunno what's wrong with it.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So latest mini-patch did this for the USS Saipan:

quote:

Aircraft carrier Saipan: Reduced the area of bomb scatter during auto-attack to match the values of special attacks (with "Alt"). Bombers preparation time has been reduced to 3.5 seconds per plane.

So does this mean that the bombers get Alt-key level accuracy for free ? :crossarms: BTW for whatever reason, the crew running worldofwarships.asia is 9000% better at putting patch notes on their front page than the NA people.

And now some patch file data-mining:

Some new US BB Main gun: 14" 45 Mk 8. Probably what's going on the USS Texas, a Tier 5 US BB that's for supertesters only currently. Game files have it as USS Texas 1944. Same class ship as the USS New York. Ship still exists as a museum ship at the San Jacinto Battleground, near Houston, TX.
Files for US BB USS Michigan 1916/1919 - this is the sister ship to USS South Carolina - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Michigan_%28BB-27%29
Ship named "Cimarron shooter" - USS Cimarron was a fleet oiler vessel that served from WW 2 to Korea to Vietnam. She lasted until 1968 until she got rammed by the USS Hornet :lol: The ship has existed in the game files since beta but has not actually been used. This apparently might change. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cimarron_%28AO-22%29
Files for a US DD named "USS LaVallette 1942" - There were actually 2 ships of this name - the 1st was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_La_Vallette_(DD-315) , a WW 1 Clemson, and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_La_Vallette_(DD-448) , a WW 2 Fletcher.
Files for US crusiers USS Burlington (1944) and USS Worcester (1948). USS Burlington is unusual, in that she was a Tacoma class frigate in use from 1944-45, pulled a Murmansk from 1945 to 1949, came back, and was in service in Korea from 1951 to 1952. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Burlington_%28PF-51%29. USS Worcester looks like an Atlanta clone based on the description in the wikipedia article - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Worcester_%28CL-144%29
Files for RU Cruiser "Molotov 1943", also files for a 180mm main gun. Molotov is apparently a Kirov class cruiser, was in the Black Sea Fleet, and is significant in that she was the 1st RU cruiser ever to get air warning radar.
Camo files specifically for Texas, Atlanta and Molotov. This pretty much clinches Molotov as a premium.

EDIT: Michigan = South Carolina. I keep forgetting that the ship names in the files don't always match up with what they are in-game.

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 12, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm guessing Burlington won't be the USS Burlington since that thing is WW1 DD sized, about the size of a Wickes.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

so how do i play with goons again?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

MREBoy posted:

Files for US crusiers USS Burlington (1944) and USS Worcester (1948). USS Burlington is unusual, in that she was a Tacoma class frigate in use from 1944-45, pulled a Murmansk from 1945 to 1949, came back, and was in service in Korea from 1951 to 1952. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Burlington_%28PF-51%29. USS Worcester looks like an Atlanta clone based on the description in the wikipedia article - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Worcester_%28CL-144%29

Umm, Worcester is less Atlanta and more like what the Des Moines is to the Baltimore but to the Cleveland.

Hopefully this means they're adding more US cruisers so the Cleveland can go back to its former glory.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugh gently caress that was not a good night for me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

xthetenth posted:

Umm, Worcester is less Atlanta and more like what the Des Moines is to the Baltimore but to the Cleveland.

Hopefully this means they're adding more US cruisers so the Cleveland can go back to its former glory.

They're splitting US cruisers into CAs and CLs, confirmed that it's coming several times, but keep saying the split is being delayed by a lack of a sufficiently documented, suitable tier 6 light cruiser candidate to go between the Omaha and Brooklyn, as the Cleveland is being bumped to 8. If they've finally found one, then I think the split could happen before we get German or Russian battleships.

Pretty sure the Worcester is going to be 10, but it's not beyond them to make it a 9 and find something on paper for the 10.

e: And the Saipan has just been added to the store, $53 USD for the ship, slot, 150 flags, and a month of premium, or $43 for just the ship and slot

It has 8 aircraft per squadron, or 9 aircraft if you have the skill, as did the third Saipan I saw, which used a 9 plane dive bomber squadron to absolutely muller a Furutaka.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 12, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

They're splitting US cruisers into CAs and CLs... the Cleveland is being bumped to 8.

I've heard this a few times and I don't understand it. The Cleveland is a perfectly adequate T6, but compared to a New Ordeal, Mogami or Hipper it is completely awful. Whats the point in a Light Cruiser line if the equivalent tier Heavy Cruiser is just flat out better in every respect?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

I've heard this a few times and I don't understand it. The Cleveland is a perfectly adequate T6, but compared to a New Ordeal, Mogami or Hipper it is completely awful. Whats the point in a Light Cruiser line if the equivalent tier Heavy Cruiser is just flat out better in every respect?

IIRC they'd undo some of the nerfs that were done to make it fit in at T6, its ROF was historically higher, for example.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Among other things its reload speed and turret turn rate got significantly needed over time. It used to be able to fire every six seconds while turning whichever drat way it wanted without the turrets leaving the target.

It started out a solid tier 7.5, and took some serious nerfs to let it pretend to be a tier six.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

Compared to what it was historically the Cleveland has been heavily nerfed in order to squish it into tier 6, and it's still been overpowered its entire Botes life. It's going to be put up to tier 8 and returned to historical values, which involves a huge boost to the rate of fire and turret turn speed, plus a hp boost, and probably an increase in shell speed.

It's roughly going to be

Omaha - ? - Brooklyn - Cleveland - Fargo - Worcester

Omaha - Pensacola - Northampton - New Orleans - Baltimore - Des Moines

But it's not beyond them to get weird about it, ie no Fargo or Northampton, replaced with paper projects instead to put the Worcester 9 or keep the Pensacola at 7. Apparently the Worcester as is will have trouble matching the eventual British and Japanese tier 10 CLs, if they stick with historical values, or so some say on the brown sea.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 12, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I've kept the Cleveland so I have a Tier 8 CL once they re-purpose the thing. It will be nice to drive a pre-nerf Clevland again; no more moon shot shell arcs.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MoraleHazard posted:

I've kept the Cleveland so I have a Tier 8 CL once they re-purpose the thing. It will be nice to drive a pre-nerf Clevland again; no more moon shot shell arcs.

I'm kinda suspecting they're going to turn the Cleveland you kept into whatever they're bringing in at tier 6, rather than give you a free tier 8

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

I'm kinda suspecting they're going to turn the Cleveland you kept into whatever they're bringing in at tier 6, rather than give you a free tier 8

Maybe, though I skipped the Myoko in closed beta because I got the Mogami right before they swapped it to tier 8 and was able to keep it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ehh, unless the brit's more bonkers than the Tiger development with three triples autoloading before they turned them into postwar ships, I don't think the Worcester has too much to fear. I wouldn't be surprised if the brown sea looked at wiki and didn't realize the DP mount had a better theoretical output than its predecessor or dinged it for problems when the Brit triple never happened so it's got only theoretical numbers.

Of course if this means tier ten Worcester with planned triple fully automatic turrets with an expected 20-25 rpm I won't care.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also, I think these are all new ships, shown up by the extended tree mod. At least I haven't heard them mentioned -

There's a tier 5 Russian cruiser a bit like the Omaha called Profintern, 15x single 130mm turrets, but one of them can fire directly forward

Tier 3 UK destroyer Campbelltown, a Wickes-class from the destroyers for bases trade

Two new Anime ships, one is a second different coloured Myoko, the other is the submarine I-401... which has an icon, but the ship model is a destroyer bobbing and twisting up and down, above, on, and below the water

xthetenth posted:

Of course if this means tier ten Worcester with planned triple fully automatic turrets with an expected 20-25 rpm I won't care.

Current in client model is only using the twin turrets

xthetenth posted:

Ehh, unless the brit's more bonkers than the Tiger development with three triples autoloading before they turned them into postwar ships, I don't think the Worcester has too much to fear. I wouldn't be surprised if the brown sea looked at wiki and didn't realize the DP mount had a better theoretical output than its predecessor or dinged it for problems when the Brit triple never happened so it's got only theoretical numbers.

Yeah I think this is the bit on wiki they've looked at "However, the follow on 15,000 ton Improved Belfast, Neptune, and Minotaur 15,000 ton designs with Mk 24 (4x3), Mk 25 (4x3) and Mk 26 (5x2), 6-inch turrets, respectively, and six twin Mk 6 4.5-inch guns were completely unaffordable post war for Britain" The Mk 26 turret is the one with automatic fire

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

They're splitting US cruisers into CAs and CLs, confirmed that it's coming several times, but keep saying the split is being delayed by a lack of a sufficiently documented, suitable tier 6 light cruiser candidate to go between the Omaha and Brooklyn, as the Cleveland is being bumped to 8. If they've finally found one, then I think the split could happen before we get German or Russian battleships.

Pretty sure the Worcester is going to be 10, but it's not beyond them to make it a 9 and find something on paper for the 10.

e: And the Saipan has just been added to the store, $53 USD for the ship, slot, 150 flags, and a month of premium, or $43 for just the ship and slot

It has 8 aircraft per squadron, or 9 aircraft if you have the skill, as did the third Saipan I saw, which used a 9 plane dive bomber squadron to absolutely muller a Furutaka.

Where would the Alaska Class end up when they split the lines? Will they put it as the tier 10 CA, or will they shoehorn it into the US BB line?

I wouldn't be surprised if they made it a premium ship though.