Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Welp, that's what? 3 dead characters in one episode?

Four! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Three and a half, it's debatable Jack was really alive

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I don't really play Borderlands, are Vault Monsters usually Kaiju sized?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pyroi posted:

Oh yeah.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Gortys! Our precious robot daughter! D:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Only a bit in but jesus gently caress Rhys, that's desperate and metal as poo poo

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Pyroi posted:

Yes, but this is big even for that standard.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Pyroi posted:

It's hard to find decent images of the vault guardians of the Borderlands games that really give off a sense of scale. If you want to get a better feel you can definitely look up videos, but for quick reference:

In Borderlands 1 there was The Destroyer. In Borderlands 2 there was The Warrior. Finally, in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, there was The Empyrean Sentinel.

They've all been big, yeah, though the one that just came out of this vault in Tales I'd argue is the biggest we've seen.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Current Humble Bundle (newest one up today, Telltale Bundle) includes Tales from the Borderlands in Beat The Average.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

Current Humble Bundle (newest one up today, Telltale Bundle) includes Tales from the Borderlands in Beat The Average.

And nabbed. Thanks for the heads up.

As for the episode :suspense:
well...it...can't get worse from here?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Tales From The Borderlands is so good. :allears:

IAmTheRad posted:

And it is definitely worth a purchase.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Well, with the endoskeleton there in the wreckage I have absolutely no clue who the Stranger is. Will this have a satisfactory explanation when they reveal it?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

sleepy.eyes posted:

Will this have a satisfactory explanation when they reveal it?

You have no idea. :allears:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Poor Gortys looked so sad to be a giant robot.

Also I liked the voice of broken Helios Jack. Nice touch.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013
drat, I forgot how awesome that part with Rhys was. Probably my favorite scene in the game. As for the choice for keeping or destroying the eye, I'm pretty sure the option to keep the eye is there to complete the parallel between Jack and Rhys if that's what you're going for. Just as Jack collected trophies of his conquests, Rhys would keep his imprisoned former idol turned greatest enemy as the first and no doubt central piece of his own trophy collection.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Also I liked the voice of broken Helios Jack. Nice touch.

Sadly contemplative.... and then just for fuckin' spite, he decides to be evil anyway and kill Rhys! What a dick to the end.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I always keep the eye. I figure when Rhys goes on to success, he'd enjoy uploading Jack to a terminal with no network access and gloating, then imprisoning him again for a while.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Strayed posted:

I'm pretty sure the option to keep the eye is there to complete the parallel between Jack and Rhys if that's what you're going for. Just as Jack collected trophies of his conquests, Rhys would keep his imprisoned former idol turned greatest enemy as the first and no doubt central piece of his own trophy collection.

This makes sense. Still, I just have a hard time imagining Rhys continuing the cycle. Then again I always play him as a doof so YMMV.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

JT Jag posted:

I always keep the eye. I figure when Rhys goes on to success, he'd enjoy uploading Jack to a terminal with no network access and gloating, then imprisoning him again for a while.

I really, really can't see Rhys ever being this evil, but I've really gotta hand it to the incredible writing for giving him the potential of being this evil. This is a Good Game.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I kinda wish there was a third option to deal with Kroger. The rotating elements is nice and all, but when I saw that knife in his chest, my first instinct was to grab it and start carving. Maybe kill him, maybe not, but at least (if you'll pardon the pun) twist the knife a bit first, since he just tried to do the same with the claim that he killed Sasha.

Also yes, your claims for pacing do ring hollow to my ears. :colbert: But I don't think I'd have chosen any different in either of those, so I can't complain that much. Maybe just until the next video comes out. :v:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Also yes, your claims for pacing do ring hollow to my ears. :colbert: But I don't think I'd have chosen any different in either of those, so I can't complain that much. Maybe just until the next video comes out. :v:

I don't want to hype it up too much but the choice in the next video is literally the dopest thing and it's all on you guys

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Panzer Skank posted:

I really, really can't see Rhys ever being this evil, but I've really gotta hand it to the incredible writing for giving him the potential of being this evil. This is a Good Game.
It really is

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, Telltale's writing hasn't been this good or this on-the-edge-of-my-seat since Walking Dead Season One.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is there an achievement for shooting Finch with everything?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All the achievements are based on chapter completion. You'll 100% it just playing it normally.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I hope Vaugn is the stranger, if only because it's been far, far too long since our bro from accounting has been around. He kind of vanished from the story a ways back.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I didn't finish Finch because I thought the shot would have alerted Vallory. You mean I could have gotten my vengeance against him and continued the story normally!? :mad:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Suspicious Cook posted:

I didn't finish Finch because I thought the shot would have alerted Vallory. You mean I could have gotten my vengeance against him and continued the story normally!? :mad:

He looked pretty dead either way with it just being a matter of time if you left him, was that not the case?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Finch is dead as poo poo I just prefer the satisfaction of doing it myself

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Our beautiful Robot Children are both dead. :negative:

But at least Jack was also killed and in a pretty metal way. I like how he gives a sob story to make Rhys feel sympathy for him, but just to distract him so he can reupload himself and kill the dude. And then he gives a bullshit lie about being scared of dying and Rhys doesn't know what it's like when he's just an ai and has never actually died in the first place. I'm glad he's loving dead.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Personally I always leave Finch because gently caress him, I want him to die slowly. And I always keep Jack, not because I actually think Rhys would (especially not in all the grief and pain of that moment) but because I suspect keeping Jack is going to be the canon choice when the next Borderlands game comes out. They love Jack too much to get rid of him.

Now that said, I want to talk about how Jack's story ended for a second because honestly, I don't like it. Jack stabbing you in the back makes sense, I know. It's in his nature. What I don't agree with is how it plays out. If you've had Rhys be a dick to Jack, yeah sure okay. Of course Jack would turn Rhys into a more literal meat puppet if you've been an rear end in a top hat to him all game. But if you haven't, it comes off as very abrupt and insincere from a writing standpoint. The betrayal felt more like the writers trying to reunite the two possible storylines. I feel like a better option might have been that Jack's betrayal of Rhys came not from a position of just being a dick (though he certainly is), but rather from a position of being betrayed himself.

If you take the dialogue choice "Your daughter betrayed you?" Jack explains that once he got into the Helios systems, he checked up on his daughter and found the logs of her betraying him. But this is never mentioned except in retrospect - you're talking to Jack the entire time he's part of Helios and he never gives any indication that he used some subroutines to find out his daughter killed herself to get away from him. It's a huge missed opportunity in my opinion, especially since in the time between Episodes 4 and 5 coming out, the question of how Jack was going to react to finding out about Angel's death was on everybody's mind.

sulphagne
Mar 30, 2011

The Council, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

CuwiKhons posted:

Personally I always leave Finch because gently caress him, I want him to die slowly. And I always keep Jack, not because I actually think Rhys would (especially not in all the grief and pain of that moment) but because I suspect keeping Jack is going to be the canon choice when the next Borderlands game comes out. They love Jack too much to get rid of him.

Now that said, I want to talk about how Jack's story ended for a second because honestly, I don't like it. Jack stabbing you in the back makes sense, I know. It's in his nature. What I don't agree with is how it plays out. If you've had Rhys be a dick to Jack, yeah sure okay. Of course Jack would turn Rhys into a more literal meat puppet if you've been an rear end in a top hat to him all game. But if you haven't, it comes off as very abrupt and insincere from a writing standpoint. The betrayal felt more like the writers trying to reunite the two possible storylines. I feel like a better option might have been that Jack's betrayal of Rhys came not from a position of just being a dick (though he certainly is), but rather from a position of being betrayed himself.

If you take the dialogue choice "Your daughter betrayed you?" Jack explains that once he got into the Helios systems, he checked up on his daughter and found the logs of her betraying him. But this is never mentioned except in retrospect - you're talking to Jack the entire time he's part of Helios and he never gives any indication that he used some subroutines to find out his daughter killed herself to get away from him. It's a huge missed opportunity in my opinion, especially since in the time between Episodes 4 and 5 coming out, the question of how Jack was going to react to finding out about Angel's death was on everybody's mind.

How could it be that this violent, manipulative sociopath would turn violent when Rhys could no longer be manipulated?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

...?? In what way was Rhys no longer able to be manipulated? He was ostensibly in charge of Hyperion but had no idea what he was doing, making him entirely reliant on Jack. If anything he was much MORE manipulateable than he was when Jack was in his body because with Jack in control of Helios, he was in control of what information Rhys had access to.

At any rate, I'm not saying it's weird that Jack is a power hungry rear end in a top hat who likes killing people. I'm saying the WAY he did it was weird.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's kind of ironic that the creature is only summons after helios has been brought down... when arguably the only thing that could have stopped that vault monster is helios firing moonshots into it.

Once again, Jack fucks everything up and pulls defeat from the jaws of victory. :v:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

CuwiKhons posted:

...?? In what way was Rhys no longer able to be manipulated? He was ostensibly in charge of Hyperion but had no idea what he was doing, making him entirely reliant on Jack. If anything he was much MORE manipulateable than he was when Jack was in his body because with Jack in control of Helios, he was in control of what information Rhys had access to.

At any rate, I'm not saying it's weird that Jack is a power hungry rear end in a top hat who likes killing people. I'm saying the WAY he did it was weird.

The way he did it suited an Actual Crazy Person, which is what he is - even if him and Rhys are friends at that point, Jack doesn't really want friends, he wants whatever he happens to want, which at this moment is a body. He really doesn't seem like the type to have the patience to keep up the "You're the real successor and I'm here to help you" thing forever.

One of the things about emotionally abusive and manipulative people is their ability to betray you with one hand and feel genuinely betrayed by you with the other. Jack somehow seems to really think that "merging" with Rhys was a great deal, but also shows some self-awareness that he created the situation in the ruins, but again that was just to garner some sympathy and get Rhys's guard down. I think playing him this way rather than giving him a more understandable reason to go crazy fits the character better.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Borderlands exists in a grim, cynical, frankly horrible universe, and while he did some heinous poo poo it was that way before Jack was in power and it's going to remain that way now that he's dead. It's not a universe where kindness and optimism will ever be rewarded.

The game gives you more than one instance where you can forgive and spare someone who doesn't deserve it. Way back in Episode 1, you have the option of executing Felix for his betrayal.
You can spare Yvette last episode even though she's stabbed you in the back.
And now in episode 5, you're literally holding the life of a helpless enemy in your hands.

I don't think it's an unfitting choice -at all- that the game wants you to actually be the one to pull the trigger on Jack. It's given you the option to show mercy again and again. It'd be odd if it suddenly stopped now.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

sleepy.eyes posted:

Well, with the endoskeleton there in the wreckage I have absolutely no clue who the Stranger is. Will this have a satisfactory explanation when they reveal it?

I'm not going to say exactly when I figured it out, but I saw it coming before the actual unmasking and I was very satisfied by that point.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

We're running really low on characters now. Aside from the central four (Vaughn's alive, presumably, even if he's been missing for two episodes now), we're down to August, Cassius, Felix, and that one named bandit from the beginning. Plus a couple of cameos like Janey and Shade. Things can't get much worse - we're rapidly running out of characters to kill/imperil.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tempest_56 posted:

We're running really low on characters now. Aside from the central four (Vaughn's alive, presumably, even if he's been missing for two episodes now), we're down to August, Cassius, Felix, and that one named bandit from the beginning. Plus a couple of cameos like Janey and Shade. Things can't get much worse - we're rapidly running out of characters to kill/imperil.

Athena wasn't killed right? She could make a return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh poo poo, ohh poo poo, I just realized who the mysterious stranger is.

It's that loving dude from Prosperity Junction, isn't it? The guy Vaughn and Ryse asked for directions? He got the suit from the wreckage of Helios.

• Locked thread