Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Toxxupation posted:

On a character level, yes. Plot as written? No way.

Really? A literal apocalypse doesn't count as GRAND or HUGE in scope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Toxxupation posted:

Please, please, please don't ruin this for me before Homestuck has a chance to.

It's better to expect little going into it, Toxx. That way, anything pleasant that happens is a welcome surprise!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

On a character level, yes. Plot as written? No way.
He's always had the major plot beats written out from day one, although obviously he crammed new stuff which is why Homestuck took seven years instead of the originally planned one.

Yes, the comic had reader commands, but MSPA was already popular enough off Problem Sleuth that Hussie had enough reader commands to take the story exactly where he wanted

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

WAR FOOT posted:

Final bets for who's going to land the killing blow on Lord English.

Best odds are Nobody and John, worst odds is Vriska.

Lord English lands on the platform, charges up a giant attack, promptly gets depowered as Alt-Calliope destroys the Green Sun, gets punched by John. Gonna play my longshot bet on Sollux, though.

Actually, that does remind me, are Aradia and Sollux going to be tagging along into the new world? I sure hope they do.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

My expectations could not possibly be any lower. All I want is five characters - 10% of the cast of this bloated mess, if that - to conclude their stories well. All I expect is for four of them to. That's it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I wonder what's going to happen to all the Dreambubble Ghosts. It'd suck if Meenah and Tavros in particular just got ditched in the dreambubbles while the main cast went off to the new universe.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
as long as the nancho party arc gets a satisfactory conclusion i couldnt give less of a gently caress about these armless idiots and their constant endeavors to bleed on and/or scream at each other

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

You know, it's pretty poor game design having NPCs complete major plot quests for the players. Skaianet really dropped the ball here.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

About ten hours before the end arrives.

Unless this has all been one long fake out.

Which, frankly, I wouldn't rule out yet.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 12, 2016

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

salsa is an underdeveloped character, and guacamole steals way too much of the limelight

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Izzhov posted:

So yeah, in terms of Overarching Plot poo poo, Gamzee didn't really have a major role in Act 6. His presence and actions were meant more to impart information on a thematic/tonal level.

He totally did though! I agree with the rest of this post, but Gamzee is the one who raised Calliope and Caliborn, built their weird Saw-like setup and gave them a cross-time internet connection, which leads to them contacting the alpha kids, which leads to Calliope getting too human to predominate and Caliborn having the tools to kill her and escape confinement without her help.

Without Dirk's help, Caliborn couldn't have escaped his room even if he could have killed Calliope, and without Calliope having human friends, she wouldn't have developed the empathy that made her think she could work with Caliborn instead of having to defeat him.

If all that doesn't happen, Lord English never exists, and even if you disregard that as not too important, without Lord English to control her, the Condesce never comes to the B2 session, Aranea never gets involved in the mission to defeat Lord English and so never makes her power play, etc, etc. None of this happens without Gamzee. He's almost aggravatingly plot important.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 12, 2016

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Freak Futanari posted:

i hope the last flash, if there is one, is just long enough to be able to comfortably redub it with Komm Süsser Tod

So with sadness in my heart
I feel the best thing I could do
is end it all
and leave forever
what's done is done, it feels so bad
what once was happy now is sad
I'll never love again
my world is ending

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
oh great here we go again with guacamolechat

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

oh great here we go again with guacamolechat

guacamole did nothing wrong, and that loving side of refried beans was a cowardly little poo poo from the start. Had it coming.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

as long as the nancho party arc gets a satisfactory conclusion i couldnt give less of a gently caress about these armless idiots and their constant endeavors to bleed on and/or scream at each other

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

WAR FOOT posted:

I wonder what's going to happen to all the Dreambubble Ghosts. It'd suck if Meenah and Tavros in particular just got ditched in the dreambubbles while the main cast went off to the new universe.

All the cool dead trolls (Meenah and Vriska) get to come with the kids to the new universe, all the boring dead trolls stay in the dreambubbles, Jake and Dirk somehow get left outside and their place is taken by Arquiussprite.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
wow even THE BIG MAN... is bringing in guest art ringers now. this is just rancid on every level.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Android Blues posted:

He totally did though! I agree with the rest of his post, but Gamzee is the one who raised Calliope and Caliborn, built their weird Saw-like setup and gave them a cross-time internet connection, which leads to them contacting the alpha kids, which leads to Calliope getting too human to predominate and Caliborn having the tools to kill her and escape confinement without her help.

See, to me that could've all gone unexplained. I would've just accepted "This is the setup that Caliborn and Calliope are stuck in", without needing to be told "Gamzee did it". It feels like trying to retroactively make Gamzee important by attributing to him things that were already going to be part of the story.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Izzhov posted:

Really? A literal apocalypse doesn't count as GRAND or HUGE in scope?

I took the meteors as "A cool thing that was happening", not "Oh, this is the beginning of a story that will consume seven years and multiple reboot universes to resolve."

To bring it back to Hickman's FF/Fantastic Four run as comparison, what sets the entire conflict up in the first place is Reed Richards trying to figure out if it was possible to undo the mistakes he made in the past and what decisions he would have to make differently if so, and does so by creating a portal to alternate universes where different Reed Richards made those decisions. That's its start. That's its baseline. Homestuck needs 3 acts of explicitly unskippable material to get to everyone in the session, and that's when the true scope is revealed. Or even hinted at, really.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Either way, here we go. The end of Homestuck.

It's been a helluva ride, but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-spiBV2Be5A

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
For what I sure hope is the final time, I desire the death of every single character but John, Dad, and Roxy.

Jade can come around as well, and hopefully get some character development.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

GeneX posted:

For what I sure hope is the final time, I desire the death of every single character but John, Dad, and Roxy.

Jade can come around as well, and hopefully get some character development.

Even The Mayor? You monster.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

See, to me that could've all gone unexplained. I would've just accepted "This is the setup that Caliborn and Calliope are stuck in", without needing to be told "Gamzee did it". It feels like trying to retroactively make Gamzee important by attributing to him things that were already going to be part of the story.

Gamzee is a religious zealot who experienced a Road to Damascus moment on the meteor when the incipient Lord English that dwelt within Lil Cal whispered his true purpose to him - to become part of his Mirthful Messiah. i dunno if thats retroactive justification, but it makes his justifications pretty clear to me.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Homestuck's very big on beginnings, loops and cycles. It would be uncharacteristic if the really elaborate setup surrounding Calliope and Caliborn was just dismissed as, "don't worry about it, not important" (in fact, it would be a plot hole, especially given it's introduced as something of a mystery).

But yeah, I mean, Gamzee totally did do it because it's funny to make him significant. It's all part of one long running joke about how, pre-Murderstuck, fans complained about Gamzee being underutilised and irrelevant, so Hussie sort of perversely decided to make his comic relief juggalo goof a) evil and b) ridiculously, almost implausibly important to nearly every part of the overarching plot.

But it also does make sense. From his introduction, Gamzee's always had this hyper-religious apocalypse cultist thing going on, and an obsession with twin messiahs, beyond that. Having him be the one who nurtures Lord English in his cradle, and later becomes part of him, is consistent with his character, so it works for me. It can be both a real plot point and a silly goof.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Don't forget, Lord English honks.

I wonder how long Act 7 is going to be.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WAR FOOT posted:

Either way, here we go. The end of Homestuck.

It's been a helluva ride, but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-spiBV2Be5A

I respectfully disagree. It's time for this to...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I'm rewatching some of the older flashes, particularly JOHN: RISE UP.

Things were so different then. :unsmith:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004987

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Toxxupation posted:

I took the meteors as "A cool thing that was happening", not "Oh, this is the beginning of a story that will consume seven years and multiple reboot universes to resolve."

That's fair, but I doubt most people interpreted it that way. Personally, my reaction upon reading the first few acts for the first time was more like, "drat this story starts with a huge meteor crashing into earth? And now the main character's sagely guide [in Act 2] is telling him that his purpose is not to save earth, but is something even more important? This NARRATIVE looks like it's shaping up to be a pretty GRAND, and, dare I say it, possibly even HUGE!"

That said, while Hussie laid the groundwork for something truly epic in scope from pretty much the beginning, the story managed to outgrow even that initial plan, evidenced by his early one-year-completion estimate. So you're right that plot scope bloat has been an issue, just not as much as you're making it out to be.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I respectfully disagree. It's time for this to...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

I was thinking more like this (though this video's half as old as Homestuck itself at this point).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Apx1pSs30Q

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, Homestuck was very much from the beginning a grand-scale creation myth starting from the finest level of granularity (one person standing in their room on their birthday) and ramping up. All the groundwork for this is laid from the start.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There's other stuff that clearly wasn't planned from the start, like Lord English, but all the stuff about Skaia, creating new universes, a game that both causes the apocalypse and allows new worlds to be born was there from page one. I'd definitely call that grand and sweeping in scale!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Homestuck's very big on beginnings, loops and cycles. It would be uncharacteristic if the really elaborate setup surrounding Calliope and Caliborn was just dismissed as, "don't worry about it, not important" (in fact, it would be a plot hole, especially given it's introduced as something of a mystery).

But yeah, I mean, Gamzee totally did do it because it's funny to make him significant. It's all part of one long running joke about how, pre-Murderstuck, fans complained about Gamzee being underutilised and irrelevant, so Hussie sort of perversely decided to make his comic relief juggalo goof a) evil and b) ridiculously, almost implausibly important to nearly every part of the overarching plot.

But it also does make sense. From his introduction, Gamzee's always had this hyper-religious apocalypse cultist thing going on, and an obsession with twin messiahs, beyond that. Having him be the one who nurtures Lord English in his cradle, and later becomes part of him, is consistent with his character, so it works for me. It can be both a real plot point and a silly goof.

Fair enough. I think my issue is more a matter of presentation than of the actual idea; Murderstuck was Gamzee actively doing a thing, everything else felt like "stuff that is happening that Gamzee happens to be doing". But that may just be more on me than on the story :v:.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I mean, I can see your point of view! The causality of Gamzee's wild adventure is there but some of it could use a little more meat on the bone. I think what would really have made it pop might have been a (short!) perspective segment where the narration focuses on Gamzee, maybe just purloining Aradia's music boxes or planning his next move in some way. In general, I feel the latter half of Act 6 kind of suffers from the lack of Hussie's charming second person narration.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I just want to lay out my prediction for the finale: two pages of hastily scribbled actual MS paint drawings followed by an "I Tried" star while dogsong plays.

Either that or Homestuck was actually the instruction manual for the real sburb.

Taking all bets!

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
It's been a hell of a ride, and I'm much like everyone else in that I'm here to say goodbye to an old friend. It's wound it's way to be this weird IP that isn't a comic, will leave it's mark on future artists, and will give us all something to talk about in the old folk's home/post-apocalypse ashes. Still it's been fun, and you all have been amazing, even with it's Vriska Chat and terrible fanart of trollsonas. I'm eagerly awaiting to read all the postmortems from everyone here.

Honestly, I just want to see Ascend be used in the final flash. We all know it's the real reason we still care about this comic :allears:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WAR FOOT posted:

Final bets for who's going to land the killing blow on Lord English.

Best odds are Nobody and John, worst odds is Vriska.
I'm taking Hussie at his word, that [S]Collide was the last battle. Lord English is somehow pacified by the Power of Friendship.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think it says something for Homestuck that there are already significant pieces of popular media, like Undertale, which draw from and are in part inspired by it. It's made a real imprint on many creative people who will go on, or already have gone on, to work on other projects with this huge, weird comic somewhere in the strands of their DNA.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, it's been said before, but Hussie's work ethic and general skill at making this huge unlikely thing fit together is incredible and I think makes him worthy of enshrinement in some kind of canon. I don't know which. One of them.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
we can put it in the Pynchon Wing of the Museum of Stuff that You Probably Dont Have the Patience to Finish, Lets Be Real Here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There are several illustrators/animators who got their start in Homestuck fanart; Paperseverywhere (Adrienne Garcia) and Toastyhat (Abigail Bullock) come to mind. I don't know if any of the musicians (Toby Fox being an exception) got jobs based on their Homestuck work.

For those of you who don't mind looking like basement-dwellers, Welovefine is having a 40% off sale on selected Homestuck wear and 25% off pins and patches. I have just gotten Eridan's leggings, because I think they are hilarious, for yoga class and the Dave and Jade sprite pins because I am a hopeless nerd.