Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
We just got a big rain down here in Memphis which means we're about to hit primo golf season. This pleb can't wait to pay like ten bucks and play the back 9, baby. The get in frog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I hit the driving range last night. First time since my knee surgery last October. It wasn't pretty...

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

daslog posted:

I hit the driving range last night. First time since my knee surgery last October. It wasn't pretty...

Baby everything you do is pretty :bigtran:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

daslog posted:

Nothing is ever pretty on the range after several months not swinging a club. Generally you get quick out of tempo swings, you shank the ball and you get into "what the F is happening" mind set that just progressively makes it worse. In fact, the range is probably one of my favorite places after the short carolina winter because I like hearing other golfers wondering what happened to their "game" in such a short period of time and the occasional guy (like my father) that consistently tops the ball with a 3 wood and yells at himself (Jesus Christ, MIKE! What are you doing!?") It's probably the most fun part of golf short of making a birdie.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

the occasional guy... that consistently tops the ball with a 3 wood and yells at himself

Feel free to stop over and say hello since you apparently see me a lot :v:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

Feel free to stop over and say hello since you apparently see me a lot :v:

I'm his cousin, the guy that waits forever for a par 5 to clear, has the firepower to reach it, tops a hybrid from the middle of the fairway, then yells at the sky.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Kameh posted:

I'm his cousin, the guy that waits forever for a par 5 to clear, has the firepower to reach it, tops a hybrid from the middle of the fairway, then yells at the sky.

Oh see, I'm his other cousin, the one that thinks "no way I'll ever reach them" and then has to apologize.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
2 Questions..

1. Does anyone know where RockBottomGolf.com items ship from? I placed an order before 2PM yesterday, their site says it should have shipped out the same day. Still no info on shipping though.
2. If I purchased an item from them and said items drops $20 dollars in price before it is even delivered will they refund the difference to me or am I sol?

Edit: scratch #1 looks like it ships from somewhere near me either in NC, Virgina, SC since I am 1 day transit no matter what shipping method I choose. Now if only my stuff would ship!

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 12, 2016

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
The RBG team is pretty good. They're active in the golf sub on Reddit. Couldn't hurt to e-mail them and nicely ask them to apply the discount you JUST missed out on.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

You know who doesn't carry a hybrid?

Masters champion Danny Willett. :smug:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

thebushcommander posted:

2 Questions..

1. Does anyone know where RockBottomGolf.com items ship from? I placed an order before 2PM yesterday, their site says it should have shipped out the same day. Still no info on shipping though.
2. If I purchased an item from them and said items drops $20 dollars in price before it is even delivered will they refund the difference to me or am I sol?

Edit: scratch #1 looks like it ships from somewhere near me either in NC, Virgina, SC since I am 1 day transit no matter what shipping method I choose. Now if only my stuff would ship!

Suffolk, VA.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Josh Lyman posted:

You know who doesn't carry a hybrid?

Masters champion Danny Willett. :smug:

I took mine out of the bag last year because I hooked them even worse than the rest of my clubs. So far this year my shots are tending to stay straight though (and subsequently miss my target by 10-20 yards to the right since I'm set up for a draw or hook) so I should give them another chance.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Soooo here's a big post.

So last week we went up to Tennessee to visit my dad for his birthday. He lives just outside of Pigeon Forge so the closest golf course to him was Gatlinburg Golf course. The high that day was going to be around 65 or so, a little chilly but the sun was out all day and it wound up being a perfect day for golf.

For having never played the course, and having never really played what I'll call mountain golf I shot a pretty decent round.

Some huge huge elevation changes and hills. Hole 12 which is a 194 yard par 3 was probably close to 50 yards above the green played to 160 yards, an easy 8 iron put me hole high just off the side of the green.

Here's an album of all the holes on the course, I should probably go back and enter a description so you know which hole is which, but, effort lol

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattfl/albums/72157664816368643

You can see in the one pic my dad pointing down to the green, that's the par3 I mentioned above, and then a few pics before him pointing up to it, you can kind of see some bricks at the top, there are 3 levels of bricks for each tee box, we played the blues so you can't even see our tee. All in all a pretty awesome course and it wasn't in that bad of shape for being April with the temps still reaching the low 20s at night. Definitely a whole lot different than Florida golf that's for sure. Picture 39 is a pic of the first hole, and you tee of well above the fairway, you can see the sand trap and the end of the fairway in the picture, it's about 300 to reach the end/sand and I managed to hit a pretty nice drive right to the left of the sand. So, can't wait to go back and visit dad again play this course again in the summer, now that I know the course layout a little better I think I can put together a little better round.

Did anyone else enter the giveaway TaylorMade was having?

http://taylormadegolf.com/experienceM2irons.html

So I got home from vacation and there was a box containing one of these guys waiting for me.

Not that I'm looking for new clubs, but I'll give this guy a few swings and see how they play. I guess I get to keep it as there was no return label or anything, so yay free club?

Also got this guy in the mail too

While I don't have a Scotty putter, this looks pretty awesome in my bag. So, that's been my adventures for the past week or so. Back to work and back to mostly flat Florida golf!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

mattfl posted:

Soooo here's a big post.

So last week we went up to Tennessee to visit my dad for his birthday. He lives just outside of Pigeon Forge so the closest golf course to him was Gatlinburg Golf course. The high that day was going to be around 65 or so, a little chilly but the sun was out all day and it wound up being a perfect day for golf.

For having never played the course, and having never really played what I'll call mountain golf I shot a pretty decent round.

Some huge huge elevation changes and hills. Hole 12 which is a 194 yard par 3 was probably close to 50 yards above the green played to 160 yards, an easy 8 iron put me hole high just off the side of the green.

Here's an album of all the holes on the course, I should probably go back and enter a description so you know which hole is which, but, effort lol

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattfl/albums/72157664816368643

You can see in the one pic my dad pointing down to the green, that's the par3 I mentioned above, and then a few pics before him pointing up to it, you can kind of see some bricks at the top, there are 3 levels of bricks for each tee box, we played the blues so you can't even see our tee. All in all a pretty awesome course and it wasn't in that bad of shape for being April with the temps still reaching the low 20s at night. Definitely a whole lot different than Florida golf that's for sure. Picture 39 is a pic of the first hole, and you tee of well above the fairway, you can see the sand trap and the end of the fairway in the picture, it's about 300 to reach the end/sand and I managed to hit a pretty nice drive right to the left of the sand. So, can't wait to go back and visit dad again play this course again in the summer, now that I know the course layout a little better I think I can put together a little better round.

Did anyone else enter the giveaway TaylorMade was having?

http://taylormadegolf.com/experienceM2irons.html

So I got home from vacation and there was a box containing one of these guys waiting for me.

Not that I'm looking for new clubs, but I'll give this guy a few swings and see how they play. I guess I get to keep it as there was no return label or anything, so yay free club?

Also got this guy in the mail too

While I don't have a Scotty putter, this looks pretty awesome in my bag. So, that's been my adventures for the past week or so. Back to work and back to mostly flat Florida golf!

"Mountain golf" is pretty fun. When I was growing up in Maine we used to play in the mountains a lot. I can't remember the name of the course, it was in some poo poo town like Denmark, ME, but there was a par5 that literally went down hill at a ridiculous grade and the tee box was on top of a cliff with no safety guard behind it. My step father was setting up for him shot and an eagle came flying right by our faces, it was pretty crazy. That, plus looking off the back of the tee box to like a 200ft drop was pretty intense.

I entered that free 6 iron thing as well, but never got an email or anything about winning and I haven't gotten anything delivered. Pretty sure you get to keep it though it was a giveaway contest and they had like a bunch of them they were giving out..

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah, no 6 iron for me either. They're sending them out as free samples.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
12:25PM - UPS man arrives with my RBG stuff, thanks UPS man.

12:33PM - RBG sends me an updated email telling me my order has shipped.

Packaging was fun. They basically put the wedges in and then jammed all the shirts I got in there to support them. A+ would buy again.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

12:25PM - UPS man arrives with my RBG stuff, thanks UPS man.

12:33PM - RBG sends me an updated email telling me my order has shipped.

Packaging was fun. They basically put the wedges in and then jammed all the shirts I got in there to support them. A+ would buy again.

hahahaha that rules

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

mattfl posted:

Mountain golf

I've played that course! That elevation drop is cool. Glad you had a good time.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Getting pumped for the season I pulled my clubs out of storage and found my 5 iron like this

How urgent should i get this fixed? The strength seemed pretty solid under a little pressure, and was pretty straight from an eye test. The shafts were a pain to find a few years ago, no idea what they are like now.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Flighted Project X 6.0 shouldn't be to hard to find for like $20 online.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Unknownmass posted:

Getting pumped for the season I pulled my clubs out of storage and found my 5 iron like this

How urgent should i get this fixed? The strength seemed pretty solid under a little pressure, and was pretty straight from an eye test. The shafts were a pain to find a few years ago, no idea what they are like now.

Personally I wouldn't play it, that feels like it's just begging to break at a bad time.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

I've played that course! That elevation drop is cool. Glad you had a good time.

Are you from that area?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

mattfl posted:

Are you from that area?

Nah, I'm from Memphis, but my family loves taking vacations to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

Nah, I'm from Memphis, but my family loves taking vacations to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.

Some good rear end eatin' between those two places

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

Gotcha. My dad is going to be working at the new Publix they are building right on the main strip there and lives about 20 minutes away out in the country.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

double post?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Flighted Project X 6.0 shouldn't be to hard to find for like $20 online.
Might run him $30 but yeah, it's a super common shaft.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Unknownmass posted:

How urgent should i get this fixed?

If it breaks and flips up, stabs you in the jugular, I'll send you a sleeve of Pro-V1's.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sarehu posted:

If it breaks and flips up, stabs you in the jugular, I'll send you a sleeve of Pro-V1's.
Send them to me because he'll be dead.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sarehu posted:

I'll make it a dozen if you get video

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mattfl should send his TaylorMade M2 6 iron. It'll have the same loft as the 5 iron. :v:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I love my Project X 5.5s, that pic makes me sad :(

My new MP25 irons are solid so far. Shot 72 each of my last 2 rounds. They're little lighter than my previous set and roughly the same distance.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Using Project X shafts will just lead you to dunking 2 balls in the water on 12.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Dude...too soon. Hahaha

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Mattfl should send his TaylorMade M2 6 iron. It'll have the same loft as the 5 iron. :v:

Holy poo poo you aren't kidding, I set them side by side and thought they looked the same.

Mizuno JPX825 5 Iron 25°
Taylormade M2 6 Iron 25.0°

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

HELP!

I have the driver shanks. I'm either hitting a screaming 150 yard duck hook or stone cold topping the ball off the tee.

No pictures or videos unfortunately but I think a lot of it may be due to grip pressure and alignment. Either way it's frustrating the hell out of me. I'm hitting my irons better than I ever have and someone put magic in my putter recently but it's no good when I'm hitting a nice iron shot onto the green to try and save bogey or worse. I shot a 98 a couple weeks ago with zero fairways hit and 26 putts to put it into perspective.

I'm going to hit the range today and see if I can tweak some things but if anyone has any advice that'd be great.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

HELP!

I have the driver shanks. I'm either hitting a screaming 150 yard duck hook or stone cold topping the ball off the tee.

No pictures or videos unfortunately but I think a lot of it may be due to grip pressure and alignment. Either way it's frustrating the hell out of me. I'm hitting my irons better than I ever have and someone put magic in my putter recently but it's no good when I'm hitting a nice iron shot onto the green to try and save bogey or worse. I shot a 98 a couple weeks ago with zero fairways hit and 26 putts to put it into perspective.

I'm going to hit the range today and see if I can tweak some things but if anyone has any advice that'd be great.
Obviously, you can double check ball position and alignment using stick/laying irons down on the ground. But without pics/video, I would suggest pausing with the club halfway back, parallel to the ground. Make sure you have good extension, the club is pointed parallel to the target line, and the club face is pointed around 8 o clock.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

HELP!

Both of these things are related. Your swing is out of sequence, you're bottoming out with your driver before the ball, and the clubhead is getting ahead of your hands. If you don't top it, then it's a nasty hook.

The iron and driver swings are different, so make sure you're shifting your weight forward on your downswing as you must be doing with your irons.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Just do what I do, which is almost never hit driver because I loving suck with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Man I knew these Rsi TP irons were long having hit just the 6 iron on a simulator, but they are kinda ridiculous. Just finished up a range session over my lunch break and I had to laser verify the same target 5 times and get a second opinion because I was hitting the 5 iron 225 all said and done. Also, I haven't used an actual 3 iron since I was like 13, and my previous set I used a hybrid 3...well I hit a few shots with the 3 iron that came with my set and it's easily going 250 off the dirt which is kind of retarded, for reference that 3H I had was my go to 220-230 club.

weirdly enough my 9,8,7,6 irons are all about where I would expect them at 150/165/180/195 then boom, a huge gap in distance. Clubs feel awesome though, and after 70 balls I only had a few toe hits. Other than that it was 50/50 between low-center and middle-face which is pretty good considering I haven't swung a club at balls that much since middle of November.