Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

What is the tape trick.

Lets you keep your battery at the ~optimum~ resting voltage and discharge level. Based on the way lithium-ion batteries work, this improves battery life (this is why the battery on your aunt's computer who never unplugs it is loving shot after a year). More reading: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

It's computer janitoring in 2016 so take it or leave it but I don't find it arduous to just plug my computer in when I wake up if I need to take it somewhere and use it for more than 5 hours that day or plug it in and leave it when I notice the battery at around 50% and know it won't be moving for a day or two. I prefer it to replacing the battery in 2-3 years, which just seems wasteful and expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Again, dumb batteries vs Apple's chargers/batteries that distribute wear across cells blah blah

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It's loving bullshit too because I never take my rMBP out of my house because the only reason I bought a lightweight desktop replacement is for the FEW TIMES I need it when I travel, but I haven't been doing a lot of that, anyhow it's basically been plugged in continuously with no tape bullshit since late 2014, I have 18 cycles on the battery, but when I did travel in December I still got incredible battery life and I was able to fly 5000km and watch movies and poo poo and then even browse the Internet on my way home from the airport and still have battery left to go. I was amazed at just how much battery life I got out of the thing.

I don't know why people think keeping a lithium battery topped up is bad for it. It's not the guidance I've ever heard. I've always read that lithium batteries hate being discharged and being cold, but it's not like they have 'memory' like NiCads do.

I guarantee you that my 2 year old 18 cycle battery is healthier than anyone's 2 year old 'I cycle it to make it last longer' battery.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

It's loving bullshit too because I never take my rMBP out of my house because the only reason I bought a lightweight desktop replacement is for the FEW TIMES I need it when I travel, but I haven't been doing a lot of that, anyhow it's basically been plugged in continuously with no tape bullshit since late 2014, I have 18 cycles on the battery, but when I did travel in December I still got incredible battery life and I was able to fly 5000km and watch movies and poo poo and then even browse the Internet on my way home from the airport and still have battery left to go. I was amazed at just how much battery life I got out of the thing.

I don't know why people think keeping a lithium battery topped up is bad for it. It's not the guidance I've ever heard. I've always read that lithium batteries hate being discharged and being cold, but it's not like they have 'memory' like NiCads do.

I guarantee you that my 2 year old 18 cycle battery is healthier than anyone's 2 year old 'I cycle it to make it last longer' battery.

I posted an article about li-ion batteries with testing methodology and all that if you care. They don't have memories or whatever, but you can increase the number of cycles your battery gets by reducing the depth of discharge and resting voltage. 18 cycles that are 180 10% charges and discharges are not equal to 18 100% discharges.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sometimes you just get a bad battery - there are people who will have it die @ 1 year and 100 cycles. And then you get some freak with 1500 cycles and 80% original battery life left.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

tuyop posted:

I posted an article about li-ion batteries with testing methodology and all that if you care. They don't have memories or whatever, but you can increase the number of cycles your battery gets by reducing the depth of discharge and resting voltage. 18 cycles that are 180 10% charges and discharges are not equal to 18 100% discharges.

Again, you posted a study citing sources from 2002, Apple designed their 'all-day' batteries in 2009. That study also applies to 'dumb' chargers and 'dumb' batteries.

Charging can have a dramatic effect on a battery’s lifespan. Most notebooks charge their batteries at a constant rate, no matter what the battery’s condition. This can wear out a battery prematurely. And it’s exactly what a new technology developed by Apple, called Adaptive Charging, helps to prevent.

The battery has a chip that talks with its cells, monitoring everything from charge level to temperature. The chip relays this information to the computer, which uses an advanced algorithm to determine the optimal charging current. It’s all part of an Apple-developed technology called Adaptive Charging, which helps prolong the lifespan of the battery.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Again, you posted a study citing sources from 2002, Apple designed their 'all-day' batteries in 2009. That study also applies to 'dumb' chargers and 'dumb' batteries.

Charging can have a dramatic effect on a battery’s lifespan. Most notebooks charge their batteries at a constant rate, no matter what the battery’s condition. This can wear out a battery prematurely. And it’s exactly what a new technology developed by Apple, called Adaptive Charging, helps to prevent.

The battery has a chip that talks with its cells, monitoring everything from charge level to temperature. The chip relays this information to the computer, which uses an advanced algorithm to determine the optimal charging current. It’s all part of an Apple-developed technology called Adaptive Charging, which helps prolong the lifespan of the battery.

Yeah, but it's still a lithium-ion battery. Apple hasn't changed the chemistry of batteries, even though it's true that theirs probably last longer and are less in need of janitoring.

I mean, do what you want, it really doesn't stress me out to manage this thing as much as it would to think about or deal with the alternative. If that's not the case for you, that's cool and I'm glad you're happy with your computer. :)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

My 2013 rMBP 15" (Geforce 750m) is still at 92% after 30 months of constant charges and discharges with no regard to any battery old wives tales. I keep it at 100% when at home or a hotel, and often run it down to sub 10% before recharging.

Just let it be.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Lol yeah I'm not going to put tape on a 3k+ mbp wtf

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah, gently caress it, honestly, if you can afford a Mac, you can afford to replace the battery in a 4 year old Mac. But some people care about, you know, should I keep it plugged in when I'm at home? Should I plug it in when I'm in the hotel? I say yes, the guideline I've always heard for lithium is that they don't like to be discharged, so if you keep them topped up, you're golden.

But you do you man, it's still gonna work. Like, literally, do what the gently caress you want. We don't pay these premiums to baby a cheap disposable wear item, do we?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

This tape poo poo sounds ridiculous. Like worst case scenario is that your battery dies after 1 year or something due to bad luck or ~*~bad janitoring~*~, right? And costs $130 to replace?

Throw :10bux: a month into a savings account and you are covered for the next one. More than likely you'll find yourself with a functional computer with somewhat reduced battery life and $360+ after 3 years, which you can either for a use for a new battery or maybe even roll into a new machine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Someone in the Android thread was constantly buying new phones and supergluing skateboard grip tape on the backs so they have better grip. I think that tape trick is more pathetic somehow.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

brb Doing that with my 6s+

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I used to develop for Android and it really is hilarious how often Android enthusiasts buy new phones. Like sometimes two flagships per year. Some of them spend more on phones in a year than some people spend on cars in 5 years!

I buy a new phone every ~3 years, a new laptop every 3-4... But I guess I'm lucky since I have fancy laptops work buys me and poo poo like that, but still. Android fanboys are weird. And it's a weird platform to develop on!

But being a fanboy is bad regardless. I personally use pretty much everything under the sun since I need to for a living, but personally... just enjoy your Mac. Take care of it, but don't baby it. If the battery's not fine, replace it! It's... just a battery. Sure, it's no AAA, but it's fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MacRumors forums EVERY DAY

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I can't wait to see how this trend evolves when we have inductive/wireless charging.

Also I'm so sorry I (indirectly) kicked this whole thing off. I think I'll go for the AppleCare because:
  • It looks like Apple changed policy last year and they do replace batteries for falling below 80%, not just defects
  • I'm on the gen-1 hardware MacBook
  • I've already had the screen replaced once because it rattled, and sporadically still does it after the replacement
  • I cart this around in my bag/on my bike every day, so it's likely to get more wear and tear than a desktop replacement
  • My previous laptop (Air) had a dodgy screen within 2 years but outside AppleCare they wanted 70% of the cost of a new laptop to fix it

The bathtub curve thing is a good point and one I'd never heard of before (despite being logical), but given all the above I think the cost is justified.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pivo posted:

I used to develop for Android and it really is hilarious how often Android enthusiasts buy new phones. Like sometimes two flagships per year. Some of them spend more on phones in a year than some people spend on cars in 5 years!

It seems to me that this is because there is no Android phone in existence that doesn't require the user to put up with some weird persistent bullshit issue or other. They're buying new phones in the hopes that eventually they'll find one where everything works perfectly for them. Unfortunately it's seemingly impossible for Android phone manufacturers not to gently caress at least one thing up.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
My wife has a very old iBook G4 that died some time ago - it stopped booting at all, from CD, from HD, anything. We put it in a drawer and forgot about it. We recently moved and dusted it off, and she'd like to get some data off of the hard drive, mostly old pictures and Word documents.

I do not know if the Hard Drive is the faulty component because like I said, I can't get it to boot at all, even using the Hardware Test disk that came with it (it boots to the "loading" screen and then just sits there). Working under the theory that the HD is actually good, I've removed it from the laptop and would like to hook it up to an enclosure or something and connect it via USB to my (Windows) laptop to try and grab what data I can.

I know enough about computers to know that the HD may be formatted in such a way that Windows won't read it. In that case, I will boot into Linux and give it a try, and failing that, I will try and borrow a Mac from someone. But does anyone have any advice/tips/tricks for making this a smooth process? I haven't bought an enclosure/cable to connect it yet, so any recommendations there would be good. Thanks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's been years since I used it, but there is a program called "Mac Drive" that will get you access on a PC. Read only of course. IIRC it's a 5 day free trial so plenty of time to do what your'e saying. I'm sure there are other programs, but that's the one I am familiar with.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sub Par posted:

My wife has a very old iBook G4 that died some time ago - it stopped booting at all, from CD, from HD, anything. We put it in a drawer and forgot about it. We recently moved and dusted it off, and she'd like to get some data off of the hard drive, mostly old pictures and Word documents.

I do not know if the Hard Drive is the faulty component because like I said, I can't get it to boot at all, even using the Hardware Test disk that came with it (it boots to the "loading" screen and then just sits there). Working under the theory that the HD is actually good, I've removed it from the laptop and would like to hook it up to an enclosure or something and connect it via USB to my (Windows) laptop to try and grab what data I can.

I know enough about computers to know that the HD may be formatted in such a way that Windows won't read it. In that case, I will boot into Linux and give it a try, and failing that, I will try and borrow a Mac from someone. But does anyone have any advice/tips/tricks for making this a smooth process? I haven't bought an enclosure/cable to connect it yet, so any recommendations there would be good. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-A12940-Drive-Adapter-Converter/dp/B001OORMVQ

Using a Mac and a USB to 2.5" PATA adapter might be easiest (firewire + target mode would be easiest...but it sounds like it won't boot so...)

It's going to be in HFS which another Mac can read, or a third-party Windows app can

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sub Par posted:

HFSExplorer is free and has always worked for me. It requires Java though, so if you don't want to install that a free trial of MacDrive or HFS+ for Windows should do the trick. As far as drive bays go, I use one of these at work all the time and it's great.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
God drat, the fastest set of answers I've ever gotten in SH/SC. Thanks guys, this is perfect.

I got to experience the joy of removing this hard drive yesterday - a million screws plus the AirPort, keyboard, top case, bottom case, and bottom shield... and I still can't get the loving thing out because I can't find my narrow screwdriver so the screws around the optical drive are still in. I really hope newer Macs are easier to mess with. Or maybe they just really, really don't want you messing with them. I did this with a Dell laptop like 6 years ago and it was 3 screws and no dis-assembly. My wife was laughing at me yesterday when I said it would take 5 minutes, and 40 minutes + two YouTube videos later, the HD is still in the computer.

Edit:

Weedle posted:

As far as drive bays go, I use one of these at work all the time and it's great.

This looks awesome. I'm assuming even though it says "optimized for SSD" it will work with a standard 3.5 inch non-SSD drive? Because I also have a couple old hard drives laying around that have some junk on them I've been meaning to get at, and it would be great to just plug those things in as well.

Sub Par fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 12, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

beaten ^^^ :argh:

quote:

iBook G4

Also, have fun getting that motherfucker out of there. About 30 steps too many.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sub Par posted:

I really hope newer Macs are easier to mess with.

Yes, and no.

For a short amount of time you could just pop the battery cover off and access the battery and HD

Then they got rid of the battery cover and made the bottom cover all one big piece, and you just had to remove a bunch of screws to easily to get to the HD and RAM

But recently they changed all the screws to pentalobe instead of phillips. Which doesn't matter much because on the current Air/Pro the only thing you can really switch out is the SSD (and there aren't many good options other than OEM for a replacement drive)

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
We just finished moving, which is how we came across my HDDs and her iBook, and after taking that bitch apart and putting together a bunch of furniture from Ikea, I never want to see another hex wrench again. If I had to buy some custom pentalobe tool to get into this computer I would have been so mad.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You guys should move to Toronto where we have a strip of computer sales stores and right near our most prominent AASP there's a hardware store and they actually sell a driver set specifically for laptops, with pentalobe drivers.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sub Par posted:

God drat, the fastest set of answers I've ever gotten in SH/SC. Thanks guys, this is perfect.

It reminds me of those old cartoons where a bunch of people all try to squeeze through a doorway at once. "How can I get Windows to read my iBo--" "HEY HAVE YOU TRIED MACDRIVE"

Sub Par posted:

This looks awesome. I'm assuming even though it says "optimized for SSD" it will work with a standard 3.5 inch non-SSD drive? Because I also have a couple old hard drives laying around that have some junk on them I've been meaning to get at, and it would be great to just plug those things in as well.

It's fine; I've actually only ever used it for platter drives.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pivo posted:

You guys should move to Toronto where we have a strip of computer sales stores and right near our most prominent AASP there's a hardware store and they actually sell a driver set specifically for laptops, with pentalobe drivers.

Is that like college and spadina?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Housh posted:

Is that like college and spadina?

where else in the city are you going to find a mass of shady computer stores all within walking distance of each other?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Indeed! Computer Systems Centre is the AASP and they're easily the most visible in Toronto, they do a pretty good job if you ever want 'certified work that Apple won't do'... but yeah there's apparently a Home Hardware or Home Depot or whatever the gently caress, a hardware store, that actually carries screwdriver sets specifically for laptop repair... Because that's how you do in the computer lane of Chinatown!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sub Par posted:

I got to experience the joy of removing this hard drive yesterday - a million screws plus the AirPort, keyboard, top case, bottom case, and bottom shield... and I still can't get the loving thing out because I can't find my narrow screwdriver so the screws around the optical drive are still in. I really hope newer Macs are easier to mess with. Or maybe they just really, really don't want you messing with them. I did this with a Dell laptop like 6 years ago and it was 3 screws and no dis-assembly. My wife was laughing at me yesterday when I said it would take 5 minutes, and 40 minutes + two YouTube videos later, the HD is still in the computer.

In my 15+ years of computer repair experience the iBook G4 was by far the most difficult laptop to change hard drives on.

We had a special rate just for them and charged the same price as a logic board swap (since that's what it basically was).

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

robodex posted:

where else in the city are you going to find a mass of shady computer stores all within walking distance of each other?

pacific mall

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Everyday I check this thread for the mpb refresh announcement. Every. day.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

krooj posted:

pacific mall

nah they only sell cell phones these days

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Read the OP, didn't see anything wrong with this....so, here it is:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772072

Maxed out current gen rMBP (15") up for sale. This Dell XPS I replaced it with better not poo poo the bed.

Buy it, goon.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Read the OP, didn't see anything wrong with this....so, here it is:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772072

Maxed out current gen rMBP (15") up for sale. This Dell XPS I replaced it with better not poo poo the bed.

Buy it, goon.

That's a great deal, good luck

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is it possible to use a Google Chromecast as a HDMI projector connection?

I use an rMBP for work, and I need to project frequently, on projectors that are in random different (often poorly planned) locations. I'd love to be able to plug in a chromecast, connect my laptop to it wirelessly, and display on the projector via that.

The thought occurred to me while looking for wireless HDMI connectors, and I have no idea if it would work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

Is it possible to use a Google Chromecast as a HDMI projector connection?

I use an rMBP for work, and I need to project frequently, on projectors that are in random different (often poorly planned) locations. I'd love to be able to plug in a chromecast, connect my laptop to it wirelessly, and display on the projector via that.

The thought occurred to me while looking for wireless HDMI connectors, and I have no idea if it would work.

Depends on what you're projecting (any chrome tab can be cast) and the wifi settings and router location and capacity at each location. I would never rely on a lovely business's or nonprofit's wifi router for a professional presentation. Each location will require setup of your laptop and chromecast. Videos won't be reliable at all.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ah, nuts. Is there any device that will directly connect wirelessly (I guess Bluetooth or Wifi) with a MBP to project the screen?

(I say "the screen" because it can be just about anything ... except a chrome tab. Mostly Powerpoint, Word Docs, Excel, and Internet Explorer.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

WiDi works with some TVs but only from Windows, and not all models of rMBP support it I don't think? But then you're still stuck with a random TV that might not support it.