Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

So $200 off on the latest model is pretty crazy, right? That must mean the new ones are right around the corner.

Are we expecting any significant changes?

They've been on sale off and on for the past few months. I think they're just trying to goose sales a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
The rumor sites are saying since WWDC is in June it could mean we will see some updates then.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

JHVH-1 posted:

The rumor sites are saying since WWDC is in June it could mean we will see some updates then.
That's one hell of a hot take.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
yeah but what kind of updates are we thinking?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
It's about time for USB-C / Thunderbolt 3. That would be a pretty significant update.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I doubt we'll see anything significant regarding USB-C / Thunderbolt until Kaby Lake which will include native USB 3.1 Support. As far as I'm aware there isn't a single company that's made a good USB 3.1 Chip.

Apple's the sort of company that'd dare skipping a processor generation. :ohdear:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They stuck with the C2D forever in the 13"

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

JHVH-1 posted:

Every driver I had ever tried before this update maxed out at 4K resolution. They updated it at one point for Windows 10 and all and it had good performance, but still didn't do 5K. Driver date on this one is from 2/9/2016

Performance seems better for me, and games like Just Cause 3 have been looking a lot better with the settings cranked up.

I hate that I'm quoting Mac Rumors on this, but this thread shows the Boot Camp software was updated in November for 5K resolution and that's when I remember getting it too.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

JHVH-1 posted:

Every driver I had ever tried before this update maxed out at 4K resolution. They updated it at one point for Windows 10 and all and it had good performance, but still didn't do 5K. Driver date on this one is from 2/9/2016

Performance seems better for me, and games like Just Cause 3 have been looking a lot better with the settings cranked up.

Guess what? AMD just released the Crimson driver for Boot Camp as well, 15.301.something, just released yesterday. Here you go. It's only a few months obsolete, too! (15.11 series)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Tab8715 posted:

I doubt we'll see anything significant regarding USB-C / Thunderbolt until Kaby Lake which will include native USB 3.1 Support.

I didn't realize Skylake didn't. Disappointing.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Really torn between that Macbook deal and selling it in a few years or sucking it up and getting a 15" MBP that I will use for 5 years like my old MBP (RIP 2007-2012).

:|

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've got a cat that has a tendency to chew on power adapter cords. My current power adapter is breaking apart at the block-smaller cord interface, plus it gets really hot sometimes and it feels like I'm holding a bomb, so it's time to get a new one. (It's been less than a year since I got a new one what the gently caress Apple :shepicide:)

I want this one to last as long as possible, so I'm looking for cord protectors that are good for handling pet chews. What are some recommended options?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The brick has a year warranty

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mu Zeta posted:

The brick has a year warranty

Now I find out. Well, I don't have the receipt for it anymore, and I ended up chopping into it to test my wire cutters when it shorted out enough to shut my computer off (as well as piss me off), so it's over and done with. I'll just buy a new one, and keep the receipt this time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You don't, or didn't, need a receipt.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I've got a cat that has a tendency to chew on power adapter cords. My current power adapter is breaking apart at the block-smaller cord interface, plus it gets really hot sometimes and it feels like I'm holding a bomb, so it's time to get a new one. (It's been less than a year since I got a new one what the gently caress Apple :shepicide:)

I want this one to last as long as possible, so I'm looking for cord protectors that are good for handling pet chews. What are some recommended options?

I bought an extra oem 85 watt adapter off eBay for like $40 for my 15" rMBP. Check eBay for your power brick needs. Make sure you get an OEM one though and not a knockoff.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Pollyanna posted:

My cat does this as well, so I bought some split tube stuff off of Amazon. Just search for 'cord tube' or something. He still tries to chew that, so I added some bitter apple spray on top of the tube as well.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The duck-head is kinda loose on my rMB-P power supply. The grounded cord works fine but the duck-head is loose. Not sure if I can just buy a replacement duck-head.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Mandals posted:

My cat does this as well

One of the components they used to replace the PVC in the cord sheathing is a pork derivative. Some animals can smell this, and naw on them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three-Phase posted:

The duck-head is kinda loose on my rMB-P power supply. The grounded cord works fine but the duck-head is loose. Not sure if I can just buy a replacement duck-head.

If you ask nicely at the Apple Store they'll often just toss some at you.

Otherwise, there are loads of replacements and even mod-replacements that add things like extra charging points for your phone or cable winding yokes online.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Well today I learned there is pork in a macbook so there's lots of jokes that just wrote themselves.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

You don't, or didn't, need a receipt.

If it came with the notebook you need the serial number for the notebook. If it was purchased separately you need proof of purchase to show its within a year

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I'm coming up to the point where I need to decide whether to buy AppleCare for my MacBook, or just save the money and put it towards any repairs that may come up.

I know there's provision to get the battery replaced, but am I reading it right in thinking that if the battery dips below 80% of original capacity within 3 years of the purchase date I can get it replaced for free? If so that seems a no-brainer, especially given how integrated the MacBook battery is to the design (making replacements harder) and that I'm on 223 cycles in just under a year.

AppleCare Protection Plan posted:

The AppleCare Protection Plan must be purchased within 12 months of the original purchase date of your Mac and provides up to three years of additional service options from the original purchase date of your Mac. Service coverage is available only for the Mac and/or Apple display and its original included accessories for protection against (i) defects in materials or workmanship and (ii) batteries that retain less than 80 per cent of their original capacity.

Edit: From the output of ioreg it looks like I'm down at 90% capacity after a year..

Froist fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 11, 2016

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Said "gently caress it", built a $1.4K PC for games/Vive/Octane & modern GPU tasks. Drives HiDPI displays with a single cable at 60Hz, smokes my rMBP & work Mac Pro in those tasks.
To stay thread-related but totally unscientific: My benchmarking makes me think stock Macs won't have comparable GPU hardware for a good long while: the higher end GPUs right now, 980 GTX / Ti & R9 390, etc. can't drive 4K games at 60fps sustainably with bells & whistles (without SLI). It requires so much PSU power to try; and of course if you overclock a hair or two you can get there but current GPU generations just aren't ready for "retina" PC games yet. Graphics need to be scaled down considerably for VR (but those same cards seem to get 90fps in the released bundled titles for Vive/Oculus). Yet, on iPad Pro, you can get GPU performance "better than" intel Iris 5200. So perhaps Apple could stick 2-4 of those chips in a mini form factor? Architecture differences notwithstanding.

TL;DR, I feel graphics hardware is presently a grey area where we'll have to wait a year before immersive games can be enjoyed lag-free on retina displays or pixel-dense head-mounted displays.
Please correct me 'til you're blue in the face.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What are some other modern GPU tasks?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Froist posted:

I'm coming up to the point where I need to decide whether to buy AppleCare for my MacBook, or just save the money and put it towards any repairs that may come up.

I know there's provision to get the battery replaced, but am I reading it right in thinking that if the battery dips below 80% of original capacity within 3 years of the purchase date I can get it replaced for free? If so that seems a no-brainer, especially given how integrated the MacBook battery is to the design (making replacements harder) and that I'm on 223 cycles in just under a year.

Edit: From the output of ioreg it looks like I'm down at 90% capacity after a year..

One argument against AppleCare is that it covers you during the lowest part of the "bathtub curve" of defect rate, i.e. a curve that is high initially due to manufacturing defects, then low for 2-3 years, then rises again as parts wear out and fail. You might as well just have the money set aside for a repair if you should ever need one on your laptop.

You will want to check up on it, but I'm pretty sure battery replacements under AppleCare are only done for a defective/dangerous battery, not a battery worn out from normal use.

I got AppleCare back when I got my 2010 MacBook. There was little point in my case. When I started to have hardware problems it turned out there was internal corrosion because it somehow got exposed to water (and I somehow didn't know this had happened) so my AppleCare was worth basically nothing. I doubt I will get AppleCare on anything in the future.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock is an absolute piece of useless poo poo. That is all.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fleshweasel posted:

You will want to check up on it, but I'm pretty sure battery replacements under AppleCare are only done for a defective/dangerous battery, not a battery worn out from normal use.

Correct, though Apple Stores have obscene amounts of leeway, depending on how nice / desperate you are / sound.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

kuskus posted:

:words: Yet, on iPad Pro, you can get GPU performance "better than" intel Iris 5200. So perhaps Apple could stick 2-4 of those chips in a mini form factor? Architecture differences notwithstanding.

Imagination Technologies (the guys who make the PowerVR GPUs in all iDevices, practically all but owned by Apple) was showing a realtime raytracing GPU at CES 2016, just their GPU chip mated to a PCI board, supposedly uses very low power. I can't imagine that this isn't one of Apple's skunkworks projects because Apple would love to not depend on AMD/nVidia to deliver decent GPUs and not be dependent on NIH (not invented here) technology.

quote:

TL;DR, I feel graphics hardware is presently a grey area where we'll have to wait a year before immersive games can be enjoyed lag-free on retina displays or pixel-dense head-mounted displays.
Please correct me 'til you're blue in the face.

Maybe even more, Apple always wants the cheapest GPUs they can get away with, gonna be a long time before the next-gen AMD and nVidia GPUs that are coming later this year will get produced in enough quantities to bring the prices down.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Froist posted:

I've had the scree on my 2013 rMBP 15" crap out twice and I don't know how much it would have cost to replace it twice but I suspect AppleCare has more than paid for itself.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A lot of it is dependent on the model year and whether you luck out into one of the tanks that will just keep chugging or if you get one of their lovely years where everything falls apart after 24 months or so. If it was something with a dGPU I sure as gently caress would get the extended warranty.

It also depends on how much the computer costs. Getting the extended apple care on a entry-tier MBA is probably a shittier proposition than a maxed out 15" rMBP.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

kuroshi posted:

Guess what? AMD just released the Crimson driver for Boot Camp as well, 15.301.something, just released yesterday. Here you go. It's only a few months obsolete, too! (15.11 series)

Weird, that one is actually what I got in the update. I had been running apple software update every couple weeks hoping it would get an update again. Maybe cause I had messed with it so much before the last update it didn't apply correctly. I have the M295X, and never saw 5K show up even after the Nov update. Things worked fine on most games, but the new drivers work a ton better.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

A lot of it is dependent on the model year and whether you luck out into one of the tanks that will just keep chugging or if you get one of their lovely years where everything falls apart after 24 months or so. If it was something with a dGPU I sure as gently caress would get the extended warranty.

It also depends on how much the computer costs. Getting the extended apple care on a entry-tier MBA is probably a shittier proposition than a maxed out 15" rMBP.

I got AppleCare on my Air because every laptop I had ever owned prior to that had one of the hinges go out after a year or so and I was drat sure not going to put up with that again. As it happens my Air is about a year and a half old and still feels as solid as the day I bought it.

samiamwork
Dec 23, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Imagination Technologies (the guys who make the PowerVR GPUs in all iDevices, practically all but owned by Apple) was showing a realtime raytracing GPU at CES 2016, just their GPU chip mated to a PCI board, supposedly uses very low power. I can't imagine that this isn't one of Apple's skunkworks projects because Apple would love to not depend on AMD/nVidia to deliver decent GPUs and not be dependent on NIH (not invented here) technology.

As much as I would love that ray tracing tech to be an Apple skunkworks project, it's not. I was working on the software side of the project until about a year ago and I don't think I'm telling you any secrets by saying that the relationship between Apple and Imagination is very separate. It may still end up in an Apple product but it's not so much of a sure thing since Imagination still has to convince Apple that it's worth licensing. It is cool tech though (I'm biased).

via
Dec 14, 2013
13" Retina MBP new for $1,405 after tax, or 13" Retina MBP (Apple Certified refurbished) with 3-yr Applecare for $1,458?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

via posted:

13" Retina MBP new for $1,405 after tax, or 13" Retina MBP (Apple Certified refurbished) with 3-yr Applecare for $1,458?

Apple Refurbished is as good as new, if it's a configuration you want. So, it's really do you want to pay $53 for AppleCare. I probably would for that price.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Also is there a sale somewhere?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Second year with the MBA, ~95% capacity. :smug:

I use the tape trick to keep it at around 50% battery as much as possible, seems to be working perfectly.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What is the tape trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

rear end Catchcum posted:

What is the tape trick.

People forget that Apple has built brains in to the battery and charging system, people don't care and they put tape over a pin of the magsafe and it doesn't charge the computer but you can still run on AC. They believe that holding the battery at 50% will result in longer life. But then they have to charge to 100% before they go anywhere, or they get 4 hours of battery life instead of 9.

Lenovo has/had a software utility that does a similar thing.