Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I just think it's stupid as gently caress to call it a :gay: cinematic universe :gay:.

It's two movies and then a crossover movie. It's not a loving cinematic universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

I just think it's stupid as gently caress to call it a :gay: cinematic universe :gay:.

It's two movies and then a crossover movie. It's not a loving cinematic universe.

Your vision is limited.

First its a crossover movie where Godzilla fights Kong. Then a sequel where they have to team up to take on Rodan. Then Rodan gets its own spinoff movie. Then a standalone Gozilla sequel. And on it goes...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mordiceius posted:

That's because it's unbelievably stupid to do so!

Maybe they'll get Gamera and Ultraman.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I believe in our Lord and Savior Mothra.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I would absolutely join a Mothra cult.

Anyway a Rodan solo movie has precedent given that Rodan is one of the best monster movies ever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ugh, that is super disappointing to here. Unless this Kong is a goddamn insane monster he stands no chance vs. Godzilla.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kong isn't as good or as strong as Godzilla, but he'll go the distance.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
As long as this version of Kong also gets drunk off of berry juice I'm fine with it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Vintersorg posted:

Ugh, that is super disappointing to here. Unless this Kong is a goddamn insane monster he stands no chance vs. Godzilla.

Some said the same of Batman vs Superman...

I am excited to see Universal's take on the anti-nuclear Kong Suit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kong isn't as good or as strong as Godzilla, but he'll go the distance.

A giant monster version of Rocky would be pretty fun to see.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
But what if Kong had a healing factor? And knew karate? And Godzilla wasn't allowed to use atomic breath or dropkick Kong?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grendels Dad posted:

But what if Kong had a healing factor? And knew karate? And Godzilla wasn't allowed to use atomic breath or dropkick Kong?

Too bad you excluded drop kicking because I found a reference image of how that fight would go down:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

WampaLord posted:

The problem is this doesn't work when I log on to the forums and FYAD's title is changed to "Han Solo dies" weeks before the new Star Wars movie comes out.

I also liked the GBS thread where the title was major spoilers for the film.

Right, which is why I edited in that it's still not okay to go out of your way to spoil new/unreleased things.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kong's got way more agility than Godzilla or those MUTO's though. Maybe he can float like a butterfly and sting like a gigantic bee.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

WampaLord posted:

Okay, fair enough, but it did lead to that effect of "Now I'm just waiting for the part where it happens" and as soon as the scene started I felt a little bit sadder that I was spoiled on it.

It is hilarious to me that Mark Hamill got top billing for a less than one minute cameo where he doesn't speak.

This seems like a weird way to watch movies. When you watched Batman vs Superman were you distracted by waiting for the part where Doomsday showed up?

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
King Kong in an even bigger King Kong mecha suit.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

GODZILLA-KONG CINEMATIC UNIVERSE.

I am amused by how many people are trying to get in on the CU action. Also, I had no idea this movie existed.

Buddenbrooks is a great book, didn't know Mann was an actor as well.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I'm still waiting on the big James Wan Cinematic Universe crossover film where Vin diesel, Lin Shaye from Insidious and Aquaman team up to fight the ghost of the Jigsaw killer.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I am all for dumb giant monster crossovers, I don't care what the marketing team refers to them as.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to be very curious just what they do with Kong Skull Island. If they bump Kong up to Godzilla height, or keep him the same as always and leave that problem for the future

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently the Dr. Strange trailer will air around 11:35 EST and is a teaser trailer and not a standard trailer.

I have no idea what the distinction is anymore, because teaser trailers are now 2:30 long with fully finished footage, which sounds like a regular trailer to me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Apparently the Dr. Strange trailer will air around 11:35 EST and is a teaser trailer and not a standard trailer.

I have no idea what the distinction is anymore, because teaser trailers are now 2:30 long with fully finished footage, which sounds like a regular trailer to me.
So another 8 hours? Ugh, so long!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Stolen from the BSS thread: Here's the first official teaser poster for Strange.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Stolen from the BSS thread: Here's the first official teaser poster for Strange.

I didn't actually realize that Strange was coming out this year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Why aren't we getting that movie???

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gyges posted:

This seems like a weird way to watch movies. When you watched Batman vs Superman were you distracted by waiting for the part where Doomsday showed up?

It's not my "way" to watch movies, it was something my brain did because I got spoiled on the film.

I haven't seen BvS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyges posted:

Yes, actually, that happens to me a lot. If I see something in a trailer then it changes how I watch a film. if someone appears to die and I haven't seen a scene with them already then I know they're not dead and so-on. I don't particularly care because it was my decision to watch the trailer but it's not hard to have those things in your head.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I enjoy spoilers, it helps me focus on the context and thematic impact of a scene instead of being in a state of surprise when it occurs.

I realize its not everyone's bag though. I do find it odd how people demand to be surprised by media quite often, like how everyone complains modern trailers give away whole movies even when it is not true.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

No, no- Godzilla VS King Kong is going to happen AFTER Godzilla 2.

Because this is the most glacial cinematic universe in the history of such things.

I mean Kong might be stuck in the same movie as Ghidorah but I sure hope not!

Oh god it's even worse like how am i supposed to care about king kong AFTER Ghidorah?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't see Doctor Strange working unless they go completely hambananas and embrace the insanity of :catdrugs: SORCEROR SUPREME OF THE EARTH DIMENSION ASTRAL TRAVEL TRIPPIN' BALLS :catdrugs:

Try to make that "grounded" and you get...like... a shitter version of that old Eddie Murphy movie The Golden Child or something?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the balls of Balzac

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

sean10mm posted:

Try to make that "grounded" and you get...like... a shitter version of that old Eddie Murphy movie The Golden Child or something?

Let's be honest. A shittier version of Golden Child is still pretty good.

Also,

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/kevin-feige-offers-new-details-on-doctor-stranges-psychedelic-dark-dimension

Kevin Feige posted:

If you were to open a 'Doctor Strange' comic drawn by Steve Ditko, you would see the Dark Dimension is, in fact, very colorful in an extremely psychedelic way. Those are the things we're not shying away from.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sean10mm posted:

I don't see Doctor Strange working unless they go completely hambananas and embrace the insanity of :catdrugs: SORCEROR SUPREME OF THE EARTH DIMENSION ASTRAL TRAVEL TRIPPIN' BALLS :catdrugs:

That's my main concern. I should probably point out though that I haven't read a single Doctor Strange story and in fact wasn't really aware they were making a movie until I saw the pics of Cumberbatch in costume. What it is is more that I've been getting into Grant Morrison's stuff and I figure for about the next decade or ever this is my one chance to see a movie that's maybe a little bit, however fleetingly, like it.

It's encouraging that they got Cumberbatch because he strikes me as a guy who's not adverse to delving into that sort of thing if the part supports it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kimmel had a short new clip from Civil War. After Ant-Man is abducted by Falcon and Hawkeye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTqkoFF3fJI

Also, keep watching for Paul Rudd and Disney musical trivia.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 12, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, actually, that happens to me a lot. If I see something in a trailer then it changes how I watch a film. if someone appears to die and I haven't seen a scene with them already then I know they're not dead and so-on. I don't particularly care because it was my decision to watch the trailer but it's not hard to have those things in your head.

Interesting. Maybe I'm weird but my brain just doesn't do that. Spoilers are largely treated by my brain the same way as my knowledge that the protagonist is going to win.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I seriously don't know a single thing about Doctor Strange but that's a really great poster.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Kimmel had a short new clip from Civil War. After Ant-Man is abducted by Falcon and Hawkeye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTqkoFF3fJI

Also, keep watching for Paul Rudd and Disney musical trivia.

Paul Rudd is a national treasure

Violator
May 15, 2003

Burkion posted:

I'm going to be very curious just what they do with Kong Skull Island. If they bump Kong up to Godzilla height, or keep him the same as always and leave that problem for the future

There was a giant ape skull in the MTV Movie Awards footage they showed, but that skull was small compared to Godzilla '14. Like it appears Kong is going to be 1/8 to 1/4 Godzilla's size. It might be an interesting dynamic with him crawling all over Godzilla and trying to break his limbs or something. Or maybe there is a bunch of giant apes and Kong is their leader or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kevin Feige is also the source of the "70s Political Thriller" quote.

Do not believe his lies.

• Locked thread