Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

blk posted:

There's an 02 330 near me with 25k miles but it's a coupe, red on tan, and they're asking 14,8. I've never driven an E46 so I might go look.

:eyepop:

I dunno, as awesome as that sounds, a 15-year old car with that small amount of mileage is going to be an absolute basket case of really silly problems related to sitting so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Suicide Watch posted:

Has anyone ever had experience with an E24? They seem to be in a sweet spot price-wise for a sporty coupe of that vintage.

The early ones are based on e12 5 series, the later ones on e28s. Most of the engine and transmission stuff applies to both cars although I think 88 and 89 E24s got the m30b35 which made its debut in the e34 5 series.

Sometimes I wish I held out for a nice late gen E24 instead of my e28

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Suicide Watch posted:

Has anyone ever had experience with an E24? They seem to be in a sweet spot price-wise for a sporty coupe of that vintage.

As rscott alludes to, make sure its a later one based on the much better sorted and far easier for parts availability e28.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

There's an 02 330 near me with 25k miles but it's a coupe, red on tan, and they're asking 14,8. I've never driven an E46 so I might go look.

I'm also looking at an E30 touring tomorrow as a potential fun (but not supremely safe) family car.

Just buy a normal e46 330i sedan for 5 to 8k and enjoy it. 14k is M3 territory.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
E30s are pretty loving safe, I walked away from a 40mph driver side tbone without any major bruising or joint problems

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Not really, they have a lot of footwell intrusion just like e36s do and piss poor airbags. blk's wife is going to have a baby soon and an E30 is a bad choice.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

Not really, they have a lot of footwell intrusion just like e36s do and piss poor airbags. blk's wife is going to have a baby soon and an E30 is a bad choice.

Footwell intrusion?

Major frontal impact, pretty much no damage behind the A-pillars and no footwell intrusion. I just had a red mark from the seatbelt. Engine and transmission broke off their mounts and went under the car, as per their design.

An anecdote, but I think E36s are pretty drat safe.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just look up the European tests from the 90s when they were new. I'm not saying they are unsafe, just pointing out one of the worst aspects of that generation.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I remember hearing a legend that BMW had to choose between tilt columns or 5-star crash ratings and that's why there's no tilt in the e36.

It does feel a little....not even snug, just...yeah i could see problems in an offset frontal, but thats like the most severe crash we possibly can look at.

Still, a 40mph rearend in my e36 showed me what these cars will do to protect you and sold me on the roundel for life.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pretty much any old car isn't going to compare to newer stuff in crash testing. E30's crash fairly well but aren't as safe as an E36, E36's are pretty good but don't compare to an E46, E46...

Would I put a kid in a E30? Yeah probably but there are definitely safer options.

metalfingers
Jul 9, 2005

hurf
Hi guys, I've got an oil leak with my 2008 330i (N54 engine) that's been worrying me over the last few days.

From what I can tell the oil filter housing gasket is the source of the oil, and I'm going to get that replaced in the coming week. However, there is also a buildup of oil along the block below the intake, following a red gasket (which in my limited experience I am assuming is the cylinder head gasket).

From looking online it has been suggested that this can happen when the oil filter housing gasket leaks and the oil is forced backwards along the block as the car drives, however it is all the way along the block as far as I can see and looks slightly more worrying as it is right where the visible part of the aforementioned red gasket sits. It appears to be above the gasket as well though, would a leak here result in oil residue being visible ~1" above?

I don't have any pictures at the moment but can anyone suggest if I'm looking at a relatively cheap OFH gasket replacement or would this signal a blown head gasket as well? There is no appreciable amount of steam in the exhaust when the engine is warm, and I can't see any mixing of fluids in the coolant reservoir or under the filler cap.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
N52. You have a leaking valve cover gasket. Don't be too worried about it

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Perfect fitment.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Moxie Omen posted:

Perfect fitment.

You might have some rubbing over big bumps.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Moxie Omen posted:

Perfect fitment.

Perfect.

metalfingers
Jul 9, 2005

hurf

Party Alarm posted:

N52. You have a leaking valve cover gasket. Don't be too worried about it

Thanks man, I took it to a local indie today who seems convinced the oil filter cap wasn't correctly sealed after the last change (less than 1000mi) and it's the source of the oil on the block so he'll sort that and leave it running with a cleaned engine block tomorrow to see if there's any further seepage. Even if it is the valve cover gasket I'm happy enough to get that sorted out as it seems to be expected at the current mileage of ~75k

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

VCGs are right up there with the GDCS in terms of common problems on BMWs. Fortunately they aren't a super big deal, at least on the I6 motors.

I replaced the leaking VCG on my M54 at about 90k miles, and turned out the VC itself was warped due to it being... loving surprise... made of plastic.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

So theoretically, if a good friend offered me an attractive price on his '03 M3, what would I be into as far as overhauling the cooling system? About $1,000? Any recommended retailers that offer kits? It's had brakes all around, vanos rebuild, and a new alternator, but I know he hasn't done the cooling system and it's at 120k.

Edit: As far as parts I mean, I'd be doing the work myself.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 12, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
should be well under 1k

just make sure you avoid URO brand parts and you'll be fine.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The E46 M3's cooling system is far less susceptible to GDCS than non-M E46s...they have a completely different water pump, thermostat and expansion tank design.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Well poo poo. You may have just influenced a bad decision. I inquired about a $12k ZHP this morning, and my friend is trying to offload his M to make room for his growing Datsun collection. I went "Har har, I'll give ya 12 for it." He said make that 12.5 and it's yours.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

T-Square posted:

Well poo poo. You may have just influenced a bad decision. I inquired about a $12k ZHP this morning, and my friend is trying to offload his M to make room for his growing Datsun collection. I went "Har har, I'll give ya 12 for it." He said make that 12.5 and it's yours.

If you don't buy it let me know ;)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
12k ZHP? what has this world come to

T-Square
May 14, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

12k ZHP? what has this world come to

Eh, it appears to be really clean, it had 80k miles on it, even the alcantara wheel wasn't worn at all. Guy sent me a detailed list of service records too. The other ZHP I'm looking at is about 8k, but it's from a dealer and probably won't have sweet sweet maintenance records.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It's still a terrible price when you can get clean 330s for literally half that and they are 98% as good. I've had a ZHP, a 330ci sport package and now have a 330i. The ZHP is not even close to being worth the stupid premium people ask for them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

If you don't buy it let me know ;)

2nd dibs

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Crustashio posted:

It's still a terrible price when you can get clean 330s for literally half that and they are 98% as good. I've had a ZHP, a 330ci sport package and now have a 330i. The ZHP is not even close to being worth the stupid premium people ask for them.

But it's RARE!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Crustashio posted:

Yeah I shudder when I see e46 330ci prices - I got a super clean nicely optioned 2005 with 50,000 in 2010 but I paid like double asking nowadays. I love it and have no plans to sell it anytime soon, so I can only hope the market goes the way clean e36s went.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Speaking of E46s, whatever happened to HotCanadianChick?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crustashio posted:

For the zhp tax you could get a 330i, a limited slip, coilovers and a supercharger.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

blk posted:

Speaking of E46s, whatever happened to HotCanadianChick?

OH GOD DON'T SAY ITS NAME

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Recently my E46 330ci (2004/92k miles) has been making a sort of groan/squeak sound on a cold start that only last 1-2 seconds tops and then goes away. I've tried to isolate it but it's really hard to pin down so I really don't have a good idea of where it is coming from. The car isn't hard starting or having any drivability, power, or efficiency issues that I can detect. No CELs or other warnings. It does not sound like the screech of loose/worn belts, especially since it never happens after the initial cold start.

For it to occur the car generally needs to sit overnight. It basically never happens on a warm start. Which also makes it hard to reproduce and pin down. I tried to capture it on video, but despite being loud and easily heard within the cabin the phone doesn't pick it up very well among all the other running engine noises.

Any ideas on what it might be or how I should try to pinpoint it further? Starter? Fuel pump? Some other pump or compressor?

Edit: Note that it only happens after actually starting the car. Just turning the key to "ON" and letting stuff like the fuel pump prime doesn't cause it to happen.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 14, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think my 330i makes the same sound, and I simply decided to not give a poo poo. record it from inside the car and post it.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Guinness posted:

Recently my E46 330ci (2004/92k miles) has been making a sort of groan/squeak sound on a cold start that only last 1-2 seconds tops and then goes away. I've tried to isolate it but it's really hard to pin down so I really don't have a good idea of where it is coming from. The car isn't hard starting or having any drivability, power, or efficiency issues that I can detect. No CELs or other warnings. It does not sound like the screech of loose/worn belts, especially since it never happens after the initial cold start.

For it to occur the car generally needs to sit overnight. It basically never happens on a warm start. Which also makes it hard to reproduce and pin down. I tried to capture it on video, but despite being loud and easily heard within the cabin the phone doesn't pick it up very well among all the other running engine noises.

Any ideas on what it might be or how I should try to pinpoint it further? Starter? Fuel pump? Some other pump or compressor?

Edit: Note that it only happens after actually starting the car. Just turning the key to "ON" and letting stuff like the fuel pump prime doesn't cause it to happen.

My beater polo had this issue and it turned out to be the starter solenoid not retracting fast enough. It eventually led to a worn bendix gear that would sometimes fail to engage properly, making an angry grinding noise instead of starting the engine. Threw on a new starter and both problems went away.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sofullofhate posted:

OH GOD DON'T SAY ITS NAME

HotCanadianChick

once more and it'll show up like Beetlejuice.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Guinness posted:

In addition to the starter suggestion, it could be your secondary air pump going bad (which only runs on cold starts), or it could also be the electric cooling fan; in the case of the cooling fan it starts, runs for a second or so then coasts down on startup as part of the car's diagnostic self-test routine. Both of them can throw codes, but they can also go bad without throwing a code as well.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I looked up some videos of people with bad SACs and I don't think that's it. It doesn't sound like that, and it also goes away way faster than people with bad SACs. I suppose it is possible though, if it is just starting to go bad and makes some groaning sounds while it reluctantly starts pumping.

I do know what a grinding starter sounds like, and I'm not getting that lovely metal-on-metal sound. But a starter solenoid that isn't disengaging fast enough still seems like a plausible explanation since it goes away so quickly and only occurs on very cold starts. It'd also make sense location-wise since the noise is so audible from the cabin.

I'll try to take a look at the electric cooling fan, too, just for another data point. Seems somewhat unlikely, but can't rule it out yet.

If I can capture a good enough video of the sound I'll be sure to post it.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 14, 2016

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster
Just got a 2009 520d here in cyprus (from US) and i just want to report to this thread that it's faster than one would think. Only downside of these euro specs is the interior is kind of barebones (no leather) and this one doesn't have a sunroof. But leather heats up too easy so it's alright. Anyway i really like this car. Last bmw i had was a 91 525 and i can clearly see the lineage to this one.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is the F30 disappointing as they say it is? I've watched a few reviews point out the abundance of hard plastic in the interior and fake aluminum dash.

I just want a nice commuter car :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Is the F30 disappointing as they say it is? I've watched a few reviews point out the abundance of hard plastic in the interior and fake aluminum dash.

I just want a nice commuter car :smith:

If you take it as just a car, the F30 is a pretty good one by most measures. It's only when you add in the expectation of what a 3-Series should be that it falls flat on its face.