Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I can't decide if MMOs or MOBAs have the most masochistic fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

I can't decide if MMOs or MOBAs have the most masochistic fans.

Mobas

By far

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wild Star. B&S and Black Desert are F2P and thus will be around virtually for ever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
thanks it was wild star

what was bad about wild star anyway

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

thanks it was wild star

what was bad about wild star anyway

Everquest grind in TYOOL 2014

and

Developers responding to feedback

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was just dull and tried to get by on having a 'vanilla WoW' style end game raiding progression after everyone, apart from some hardcore weirdos, had decided that was terrible. That's like advertising Everquest style aimless grinding as a feature.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
isn't there a lot of ruckus about that vanilla WoW private server nostalrius being shut down tho that had a ton of people on it?

I guess the issue is that if people wanted aimless everquest grind or vanilla WoW type gameplay, they'd just go play everquest or a WoW private server

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

isn't there a lot of ruckus about that vanilla WoW private server nostalrius being shut down tho that had a ton of people on it?

I guess the issue is that if people wanted aimless everquest grind or vanilla WoW type gameplay, they'd just go play everquest or a WoW private server

At least vanilla attunements aren't that long

Wildstar attunements:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Basically. If you want vanilla WoW, you want vanilla WoW, not a game that's mimicking it because it's no fun without the nostalgia value.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wish that the graal private server was still around. graal classic was great

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I just wish that the graal private server was still around. graal classic was great

Oh jesus, I haven't thought about graal since the last time I spent hours trying to get it to run without any success. Is there a website somewhere, running a vanilla version of Neopets?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

WoW classic was NOT great, far from it even.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ9cu81axEY

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Healbot posted:

WoW classic was NOT great, far from it even.

People play old lovely games because it brings them back to a time when they were happy with their lives, not because the actual game has any merit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but people hitting their late 20's/30 played it when they were teenagers so that doesn't matter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WoW has been running for 12 years now

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

WoW has been running for 12 years now

And manricks wife still cannot be found

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FanaticalMilk posted:

Oh jesus, I haven't thought about graal since the last time I spent hours trying to get it to run without any success.

I had a ton of fun with it, just being thrown into an open world with other players, with content that was made by people running the game but also curated content made by players, and it was just a link to the past but online and with just enough changes from zelda to avoid being sued by nintendo. it was great

FanaticalMilk posted:

Is there a website somewhere, running a vanilla version of Neopets?

Wouldn't that just be Neopets?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
A friend got me to try Wildstar and almost immediately upon entering I noticed it was quite obviously the Lineage 2 game engine with updated graphics and knew it was going to fail miserably. That engine has such a stench. God gently caress MMOs.

So, my Lurdiak-style "people say this all the time and I disagree with them and they're dumb" thing is people complaining that some popular game is too brown/gray/green/pick-a-color. Like, I appreciate Nintendo games and I find them very pretty but sometimes I feel like a game with a dark oppressive atmosphere or one set in a desert or city or a spaceship going for a realistic look because hey video games can be a lot of things. The "that game is 10 tones of gray" complaint that often comes up never means much to me.

On the other hand, clearly some people do really care about it and hey I guess being given a heads up that a game uses a very realistic palette is legit. Just don't expect it to be treated like objective criticism.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

A friend got me to try Wildstar and almost immediately upon entering I noticed it was quite obviously the Lineage 2 game engine with updated graphics and knew it was going to fail miserably. That engine has such a stench. God gently caress MMOs.

So, my Lurdiak-style "people say this all the time and I disagree with them and they're dumb" thing is people complaining that some popular game is too brown/gray/green/pick-a-color. Like, I appreciate Nintendo games and I find them very pretty but sometimes I feel like a game with a dark oppressive atmosphere or one set in a desert or city or a spaceship going for a realistic look because hey video games can be a lot of things. The "that game is 10 tones of gray" complaint that often comes up never means much to me.

On the other hand, clearly some people do really care about it and hey I guess being given a heads up that a game uses a very realistic palette is legit. Just don't expect it to be treated like objective criticism.

I imagine the issue people have when they say a game is just brown or just green is less that the art is going for a more realistic palette and more than the game has an ugly aesthetic overall. Like how daikatana's first level is just a series of really ugly greens all blending together.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Wouldn't that just be Neopets?

I dunno, I haven't visited the site since the early 2000s, I'd figured it would've changed significantly by now.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

I imagine the issue people have when they say a game is just brown or just green is less that the art is going for a more realistic palette and more than the game has an ugly aesthetic overall. Like how daikatana's first level is just a series of really ugly greens all blending together.

Eh to me then that gets more subjective. I thankfully never played Daikatana though so in that case it might have gone full-on baby diarrhea.

Most of the time it seems like just a palette thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Eh to me then that gets more subjective. I thankfully never played Daikatana though so in that case it might have gone full-on baby diarrhea.

Most of the time it seems like just a palette thing.
It's mostly a saturated vs. desaturated colors thing. Where games go wrong in pursuing realism is that the real world has both. Splashes of bright color can be really interesting. Some games can pull off muted colors the whole game, or a specific color theme (Deus Ex: HR, for instance) even if it's repetitive. Or sometimes that's crucial to the game's tone (Red Dead Redemption). But sometimes it just looks boring (Fallout 3), or straight-up clashes with the tone of the game (Serious Sam 3, holy poo poo).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The original Deus Ex is a great example of how you can have both. You've got areas where the game is mostly just shades of blue, blue-grey, and black, but they're not the whole game, and sometimes they add other bright colors - billboards, neon lights, etc.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
daikatana's first level lmao

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I can't finish looking at those screenshots without my buddy Superfly Johnson.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bring back colored lighting everywhere

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

Cool! I'll either play it at work/on the bus or hotseat it at home.

I think it's fine to use a guide sometimes for adventure games, I know for some parts of Grim Fandango we had to crack open a guide.

E: In other news I saw a game pitch from SquareEnix's Collective thing
http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/220/moonlighter#pitch

You run a item shop and also go dungeoneering for items to sell. Looks interesting but I actually wonder if it's just worth it to pick up Recettear even though the anime-ness repels me.

For its age, Recettear has aged rather well. It was all coded by one guy and he apparently was really helpful with the localized version. It runs incredibly well unless you have a big system-wide issue(like not being able to run win32 at all), it should have no issue, though with steam refunds technical application failure is made painless by getting your money back.

You could do worse with your money, is what I'm saying. And if "Moonlighter" wants to be some kind of spiritual successor, it has a considerable climb to make.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FirstAidKite posted:

I'll totally admit to being the kind of person that complains about the greys and browns and whatever, but it's more that I think a lot of games don't put a lot of thought into making levels look somber or scary besides washing out the colors or making everything grey. I think a good example of a game that doesn't use color all that often but still ends up looking really good is Wolfenstein TNO. You have these really sterile grey and white buildings everywhere, the nazis have literally sucked the color out of the world, but they also have these really striking huge red nazi banners everywhere and the look works really well. I never get a sense of "ugh more grey uninspired environments" in the game. On the other hand you have something like literally any area in WoW that has a "fel" influence. I love WoW's art style to death but god any fel demon area of the game is just this ugly black and neon green disaster that less gives the "wow look at this hosed up place" feeling and more "so this again, huh Blizzard?".

Of course, for the most part I also just prefer games that look more cartoony with some exceptions. I see something like Doom and everything about that game looks ugly as hell. The colors as well as the general look of everything. Street Fighter V aesthetically is mwah *does italian spicy meatball gesture*

edit:

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's mostly a saturated vs. desaturated colors thing. Where games go wrong in pursuing realism is that the real world has both. Splashes of bright color can be really interesting. Some games can pull off muted colors the whole game, or a specific color theme (Deus Ex: HR, for instance) even if it's repetitive. Or sometimes that's crucial to the game's tone (Red Dead Redemption). But sometimes it just looks boring (Fallout 3), or straight-up clashes with the tone of the game (Serious Sam 3, holy poo poo).

This puts it better in less words. Witcher 3 is an example of a game that tried to pursue realism without everything looking dull and washed out

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 12, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There was a stretch of time where it felt like every game took place in a grey world at sunset

Video games love sunsets in general

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If I want to plug a Gamecube controller into my PC, what are my options?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Ask for consent first

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Unreal Engine 3 handled dynamic lightning really well and if I were some kind of video gaming historian (instead of a PhD in miniboss studies) I would guess the sunset obsession was concurrent with the 2010 era of UE3 dominance.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FactsAreUseless posted:

The original Deus Ex is a great example of how you can have both. You've got areas where the game is mostly just shades of blue, blue-grey, and black, but they're not the whole game, and sometimes they add other bright colors - billboards, neon lights, etc.

That's a great point and example. It's actually what brought this discussion to mind because someone recently described DE as being "just a bunch of grays" and my first thought was "uh what."

Well, that and someone earlier today in this thread bringing up Kingdom of Amalur which was what I might describe as the prettiest most boring game I ever played.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 12, 2016

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

Mayflash adapter. Get the drivers from their website, flip the switch on the adapter to PC. Works great

e: since you asked for options, it comes in a two port and a four port version

Manky fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 13, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Unreal Engine 3 handled dynamic lightning really well and if I were some kind of video gaming historian (instead of a PhD in miniboss studies) I would guess the sunset obsession was concurrent with the 2010 era of UE3 dominance.
Yeah, plus gears of war was its first showcase game which defined that look. It was a war between GOW and Resistance for who could have the fewest colors

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

GameCube controller always looked like an insect head to me

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/tyabann_da/status/719722925356490752

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain