Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think registered donors should get priority on the waiting list if they themselves are later found to need organs.

Choco1980 posted:

Ugh, as someone that has received several transplants, that kind of behavior disgusts me. Honestly, what they need to do is change it to an opt-OUT system rather than opt-in. There'd be a lot more people just going with it if they didn't have to do anything extra. Whenever I renew my license, the clerks are always pleasantly surprised that I actually want to pay the extra three dollars for the check mark on the back of mine.

I feel the checkbox is in kind of bad taste. If a person has now just agreed to donate their priceless organs, do you really need to ask them for petty cash?

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Choco1980 posted:

Ugh, as someone that has received several transplants, that kind of behavior disgusts me. Honestly, what they need to do is change it to an opt-OUT system rather than opt-in. There'd be a lot more people just going with it if they didn't have to do anything extra. Whenever I renew my license, the clerks are always pleasantly surprised that I actually want to pay the extra three dollars for the check mark on the back of mine.

I'm an organ donor, because why not? It's not like I can use my organs when I die.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I must keep my organs in canopic jars so that I may be reunited with them in the afterlife.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

"TH' GUBMINT DEATH PANELS IS TAKIN' ARE ORGANS!"

An opt-out system for organ donors will never fly in the US.

Sure it would. Thanks to the fact that you can cover multiple unrelated issues in a single bill, you could just add this onto, say, tax cuts and it'll fly right through the proper groups.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ramos posted:

Sure it would. Thanks to the fact that you can cover multiple unrelated issues in a single bill, you could just add this onto, say, tax cuts and it'll fly right through the proper groups.

:911:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I don't think I had to pay anything, just mark that I wanted to be a donor on the form.

My license has a cute little heart on the front to indicate my donor status.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

pienipple posted:

I don't think I had to pay anything, just mark that I wanted to be a donor on the form.
Same here (MI). Having to pay--even if it's three measly bucks--seems kind of lovely, and an easy excuse for people not to sign up. Like declining a March of Dimes donation at the grocery-store checkout, only...worse.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

I must keep my organs in canopic jars so that I may be reunited with them in the afterlife.

You can never be too careful about this stuff.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Do people realize that donor status or whatever doesn't mean anything and the final decision is made by the dead person's next of kin.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'll donate my organs when we have a functioning public health care systen :troll:

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

Do people realize that donor status or whatever doesn't mean anything and the final decision is made by the dead person's next of kin.

The hell it is. Those fuckers hoard enough organs as it is. I don't care what she says, my wife doesn't need 4 lungs.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

That Robox posted:

It was always only the older women clerks for whatever reason. They seemed really concerned. But now I haven't smoked in about 4 years, so cleaner organs, and no weird conspiracies for me. Woohoo!

Yep, that's precisely what my mother said when I showed her the donor card.

She's standard 50 year old selfish, but I have to admit that she's usually right about her cynical comments about others.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Screaming Idiot posted:

lol if you don't have an Enrique who will be buried alive with you as an eternal servant.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

pienipple posted:

Someone was giving out bracelets and encouraging people to register as donors when I was at the DMV a few years ago. I showed her I was already a donor and she hugged me and declared that she had two donated lungs.

All I could think to say was "Well they're not my lungs but you're welcome."

Boy, did I read that wrong at first.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

The North Tower posted:

lol if you don't have an Enrique who will be buried alive with you as an eternal servant.

Thank goodness I had Enrique nearby to chuckle at this joke for me.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Wandle Cax posted:

Ya if you really want to donate your organs get an advanced directive and hope your family doesn't interfere.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Writer Cath posted:

Thank goodness I had Enrique nearby to chuckle at this joke for me.

lol if you don't have Enrique post about chuckling about jokes for you.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
mr idiot tells me to tell all of you that these enrique jokes are getting old and stale

much like the bread and water he only allows me to eat

someone please send help my wife and family need me and i am so tired

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

A store near me is undergoing renovations, and I don't know how permanent this change is but they've raised the roof a little bit and lowered the aisles. I don't know what it's supposed to achieve, but the empty space is distracting as hell and draws attention away from the products they're supposed to be selling, which strikes me as the opposite of what a supermarket's aesthetics should be doing.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
I'm not an I'm not an organ donor because one way or another when I die I'm taking someone with me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm an organ donor, but the process is not as cut and dried as it may seem. Playboy had an interesting article on the subject a while back.

http://cosmicawareness.org/wp-content/uploads/HEARTSTOPPING_TRUTH_ABOUT_ORGAN_DONATION.pdf

Biggest issues back then (maybe improved since) were vague definitions of brain death and families getting billed for care that occurred after the patient was tagged for donation. Again, it's not enough to stop me from donating - but it's also not as clean a process as hospitals want people to believe.

And yeah, cosmicawareness.org sounds like a terrible website to trust for scientific data, but it was the only place I could find the article online.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

XYZ posted:

Ya if you really want to donate your organs get an advanced directive and hope your family doesn't interfere.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

A store near me is undergoing renovations, and I don't know how permanent this change is but they've raised the roof a little bit and lowered the aisles. I don't know what it's supposed to achieve, but the empty space is distracting as hell and draws attention away from the products they're supposed to be selling, which strikes me as the opposite of what a supermarket's aesthetics should be doing.

That makes horrible sense. They should be lowering the roof, no questions about it. It would create an atmosphere every business wants: low overhead.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Boo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wandle Cax posted:

On my donor card, there is a checkbox specifically for saying that you want the decision to be your own, and that next of kin are not allowed to veto it.

Must be different in the US, I guess.

gently caress 'em. My body, my decision.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I opted out purely in protest of opt out systems.

They were trying to be clever and take advantage of my laziness. Not this time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

On my donor card, there is a checkbox specifically for saying that you want the decision to be your own, and that next of kin are not allowed to veto it.

Must be different in the US, I guess.

gently caress 'em. My body, my decision.

Illinois is a first-person consent state, meaning your wife or kids or whoever can't change your preference once you've registered your decision with the state. If you wish, you may allow your next of kin to decide in your stead when you kick the bucket, but by default it's solely your decision. Texas is also first-person consent, and I'm sure lots of other states are, too.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

A local burg place here does it too
Don't you want those burgs?
The Greek and SOB look fine but the rest look really really poor.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Illinois is a first-person consent state, meaning your wife or kids or whoever can't change your preference once you've registered your decision with the state. If you wish, you may allow your next of kin to decide in your stead when you kick the bucket, but by default it's solely your decision. Texas is also first-person consent, and I'm sure lots of other states are, too.
You say that but that doesn't stop people here in Aus loving things up and holding the process up once you've kicked it.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Pretty hosed up some places make you pay more money to indicate you want to be a donor, IMO.

My wife had to get a new license because she got some new endorsement her ambulance director wanted everyone on the crew to get. While she was there, she re-registered our car and opted to get an organ donor awareness plate because she does some volunteer work for a state-wide donor group and it was all of an extra $10. After getting the plates, the clerk asked her if she'd still like to continue being an organ donor while she was getting her license. I mean, I get that you should probably ask, but I'd think it's pretty well implied.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I'm a donor, but at this point, I'm pretty sure the only things my organs will be good for is "after" photos in textbooks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Since we're talking about donor poo poo, it's stupid easy to become a marrow donor. You swab your cheek and get put in the donor database. Odds are you'll never be a match for anyone, but you never know.

And if you're a minority it's even more important because marrow donations are race specific and the vast majority of donors are White.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Since we're talking about donor poo poo, it's stupid easy to become a marrow donor. You swab your cheek and get put in the donor database. Odds are you'll never be a match for anyone, but you never know.

And if you're a minority it's even more important because marrow donations are race specific and the vast majority of donors are White.

Do this. I signed up a few years ago due to a promotion I saw advertised in SA Mart and forgot about it for a couple years until I got called up out of the blue last year saying I was the last genetic match for someone with fibromyalgia.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krispy Kareem posted:

I’m cool with donating blood or, in the event of my untimely demise, donating organs, but donating bone marrow involves serious surgery.

The worst thing would be to get in the database and get that call without knowing you’re ready to commit.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Apr 14, 2016

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

jojoinnit posted:

Do this. I signed up a few years ago due to a promotion I saw advertised in SA Mart and forgot about it for a couple years until I got called up out of the blue last year saying I was the last genetic match for someone with fibromyalgia.

Is this a joke or do doctors in the US do bone marrow transplants for a disease which isn't even recognized as a disease outside the US?

I don't mean to go all :smug: about fibromyalgia, someone I know seems to suffer pretty badly and she says that's what causing it. But over here doctors don't really do anything about it because officially, it's not a disease but just psychosomatic symptoms caused by something which is as of yet unknown.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I could never afford a donated body part, the installation is far beyond my means.

They can have my parts when they start paying me for them. It would be nice to have a chunk of change for my family when I die.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

I’m cool with donating blood or, in the event of my untimely demise, donating organs, but donating blood marrow involves serious surgery.

The worst thing would be to get in the database and get that call without knowing you’re ready to commit.

They try to weed out people on the fence during the application process because, yeah - it'd suck if you turned out to be a match, but changed your mind. And you get annual email to remind you that yes you are on a list and whether you still want to donate.

It's just a little mind boggling how rare matches are. I figured somebody in the U.S. who needed marrow would match me. Nope. 10 years on the list and not a peep.

I think the surgery has gotten a little easier. There are two types of donation - one that involves no surgery and another where they suck marrow out of your pelvic bone. I guess it depends on what exactly your marrow is trying to cure.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

I Am Crake posted:

Is this a joke or do doctors in the US do bone marrow transplants for a disease which isn't even recognized as a disease outside the US?

I don't mean to go all :smug: about fibromyalgia, someone I know seems to suffer pretty badly and she says that's what causing it. But over here doctors don't really do anything about it because officially, it's not a disease but just psychosomatic symptoms caused by something which is as of yet unknown.

Nah I probably just forgot what exactly it was but it was some type of blood cancer.

^^ yes there were 2 types of donations. I did the one where they basically just harvest it from my blood, no invasive surgery.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I have never heard before that marrow donations were race specific. How does that even work? How can the body decode marrow from a person who is 1/8 asian, 1/4 asian, 1/2 asian, or full asian? How do multi-racial or significantly mixed people receive marrow transplants?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have never heard before that marrow donations were race specific. How does that even work? How can the body decode marrow from a person who is 1/8 asian, 1/4 asian, 1/2 asian, or full asian? How do multi-racial or significantly mixed people receive marrow transplants?

http://marrowdrives.org/cristina/ethnicity-marrow-donation.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A really quick-and-dirty explanation is that any given white person's DNA is more likely to match another white person's. Everyone else's genetic lineage is generally more diverse, leading to more variation among samples.

Other organs just have to be "close enough," but bone marrow specifically needs to be "pretty drat close."