Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The worst about of HL1 on hard mode was killing the marine, but him still nailing you in the face with a grenade fired milliseconds before he died.

Things dragging Mount and Blade Warband down:siege battles. Some maps are hilariously simple, others are incredibly difficult. All of them share repetitive slash-at-dudes heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A White Guy posted:

The worst about of HL1 on hard mode was killing the marine, but him still nailing you in the face with a grenade fired milliseconds before he died.

Things dragging Mount and Blade Warband down:siege battles. Some maps are hilariously simple, others are incredibly difficult. All of them share repetitive slash-at-dudes heads.

Some mods for the STALKER games that give the AI more gear result in this too. Those guys still may not be able to aim their shorty paratrooper AK's very well but you bet your gibbed rear end they're a crack 300-yard shot with that goddamn grenade launcher. Oh you have a sniper rifle? That's cute, better fuckin not miss. THUMP...BOOM :gibs:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got a mod for the misery mod that removed grenades from NPCs, among other things, because they were already bullshit instakill aimbots that would drop you through fog so thick you couldn't even see them. Unfortunately it still didn't keep them from spawning with rifle grenades already loaded inside a rifle mounted grenade launcher, which meant at any time they could just unavoidably delete you. Grenade launchers fire grenades so fast in STALKER that they may as well be hitscan weapons when used against you.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

On the other hand, every jackass solider carrying a loaded underbarrel meant I had more than enough grenades to play with beyond just OH poo poo A CONTROLLER moments. So that was cool. But yeah the fact that they could just point click *boom* you're dead meant there was a looot of quicksaving.

The OGSE mod added automated LMG turrets to military structures that would gun you down even in good armor in about 3 bullets. Those things were complete bullshit. So naturally I got a mod mod to tone them down. Actually, thinking back, popping those fuckers was my #1 use of grenade launchers for quite a while.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arrath posted:

Some mods for the STALKER games that give the AI more gear result in this too. Those guys still may not be able to aim their shorty paratrooper AK's very well but you bet your gibbed rear end they're a crack 300-yard shot with that goddamn grenade launcher. Oh you have a sniper rifle? That's cute, better fuckin not miss. THUMP...BOOM :gibs:

In the Antistasi Altis mod for Arma 3 a majority of the hostile riflemen you'd run into have underbarrel grenade launchers and they absolutely love spamming that poo poo at you. I really thought I was being pinned down by a mortar team but no, it was 1 or 2 jackasses with an underbarrel who were really good at shooting those things over 200 meters. Even better is that some of them had 3 round grenades so they could fire 3 grenades in quick succession at you. It was such bullshit, or you'd be driving around and a patrol would see you and launch a grenade right into the window.

RareAcumen posted:

Thing dragging Dark Souls 3 down.

Have you tried gittin gud internet?
:goonsay:

Dragging down Planetside 2: Hitboxes, weapon stats and vehicle stats are apparently STORED IN PLAIN TEXT CLIENTSIDE. This means you can open notepad and enlarge enemy hitboxes, say make their head hitbox take up their entire model. How the gently caress do you program a game like this :psyduck:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Leal posted:

Dragging down Planetside 2: Hitboxes, weapon stats and vehicle stats are apparently STORED IN PLAIN TEXT CLIENTSIDE. This means you can open notepad and enlarge enemy hitboxes, say make their head hitbox take up their entire model. How the gently caress do you program a game like this :psyduck:

Apparently it's the norm these days, all the recent Asian MMO had it and even the loving Division has at least some of it. During beta there was a lot of hacking going on, they promised to turn on anti cheat poo poo for release and that seemed to help but now they turned it off again for who the gently caress even knows and the Dark Zone is full of assholes that will just instantly pop you possibly the second you're within whatever the max range of their hack is without you even knowing where they are or being able to do anything about it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That's the stupidest poo poo imaginable. Why would they do it that way?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A White Guy posted:

I had a siege in Warband the other day where I straight up could not join the melee fighting until it was almost over. My own guys kept crowding me off the ladder. I kept falling down over and over, taking damage each time. Let your OP lord through so we can actually win, you goddamn idiots.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Phlegmish posted:

I had a siege in Warband the other day where I straight up could not join the melee fighting until it was almost over. My own guys kept crowding me off the ladder. I kept falling down over and over, taking damage each time. Let your OP lord through so we can actually win, you goddamn idiots.

Pretty much. Some maps your dudes will push through the enemy blob pretty quickly, others you have to race up the ladder, desperately hoping you don't get knocked off by arrow fire to weave your way through a crowd of dudes as quick as you can.

It gets worse when you turn the combat AI up too, as the entire enemy blob will chase you if you try to do this.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

RyokoTK posted:

That's the stupidest poo poo imaginable. Why would they do it that way?

Nobody loving knows. The popular theory seems to be because Ubisoft. They are also either unwilling or unable to fix long standing game breaking bugs and now people are reporting their support tickets being ignored, closed without resolution, outright deleted or any combination of those.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Phlegmish posted:

I really hate this and hate it when games don't let you go through team mates. In Destiny earlier today our team was losing a game of Rift, a mode where you get a glowy powerup and blow up the opposing team's glow hole, and it came down to me and two guys defending our hole and just as I was about to shotgun the dude with the powerup, one of my own team ran up in front of me to try and punch the guy. He ate my shotgun blast and the guy just punched the other dude out of the way and blew us all up and won the game.

Other memorable moments was when I threw a grenade just in time for someone to leap in front of it, causing it to bounce back into my own face and kill me.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Going off on a tangent in another thread made me realize how poor the world building in the new Fallout games actually is, sure you get tons of neat set pieces with a bit of story to them to explore and loot but they're not connected and none of the settlements actually feel alive. Fallout 4 actually made the world feel somewhat better only to just kill that completely in the same stroke by having actual farms and roaming traders and poo poo but not letting the world evolve without your direct interference. Also you have no agency of your own again, the best you can do is just plain not do a quest but at least it's interesting to see how they're improving in some areas and regressing in others at the same time.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I love Warband but yeah the sieges are mega hosed up and everything I do to make it more interesting feels like messing with the ai. What I usually do is be first to the ladder and then jump over the enemies heads to get into some space and try to get to a staircase to camp

The Division cheating situation being that hosed up is hilarious. I saw their punishments were like a 3 day temp ban before a full ban and thought that's the most retarded thing, its pretty much giving the cheatmakers a free signal to change their program. The only time I've ever seen an anticheat turned off was punkbuster back in the day because it was randomly taking screenshots of what everyone had on their screen at home and just rear end loving performance.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
In Cities: Skylines sometimes when they game updates or you haven't played a while or made a new city, all the Unique buildings you've unlocked become locked again. So I have to load a city I made called "all buildings unlocked" where I put all of them. It takes a billion hours to load my game due to all my mods & poo poo so it's really loving annoying to have to load all these cities.

And I guess just a general thing about games you can mod & download custom items, eg C:S or sims, that load times increase exponentially the more custom items you get, and I love custom items :(

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Morglon posted:

Going off on a tangent in another thread made me realize how poor the world building in the new Fallout games actually is, sure you get tons of neat set pieces with a bit of story to them to explore and loot but they're not connected and none of the settlements actually feel alive. Fallout 4 actually made the world feel somewhat better only to just kill that completely in the same stroke by having actual farms and roaming traders and poo poo but not letting the world evolve without your direct interference. Also you have no agency of your own again, the best you can do is just plain not do a quest but at least it's interesting to see how they're improving in some areas and regressing in others at the same time.

Play New Vegas instead.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Woolie Wool posted:

Play New Vegas instead.

I did, many times. The problem's there too but it presents differently. There are no farms in New Vegas and the countryside is virtually dead, you meet people and caravans and whatever only at designated outposts not roaming around in the wild. But yes, that game is much better for letting you have agency.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Morglon posted:

I did, many times. The problem's there too but it presents differently. There are no farms in New Vegas and the countryside is virtually dead, you meet people and caravans and whatever only at designated outposts not roaming around in the wild. But yes, that game is much better for letting you have agency.
did you miss the sharecropper farms taking up a huge area just south of Vegas

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Morglon posted:

I distinctly remember running into traveling merchants with pack Brahmin in NV.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Morglon posted:

Both of those complaints are demonstrably false within like ten minutes of starting a new game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

One of your companions' whole deals is even her caravan company and rivalry with the Crimson Caravan, and the caravan companies' primary point is shipping food and clean water around the wasteland. NV is an exceptionally well put-together game world precisely because drat near all the resources people would have to use are accounted for, even if it is necessarily abstracted a bit.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Morglon posted:

There are people farming in Goodsprings, and I can think of four other farms in the game off the top of my head.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Agents are GO! posted:

There are people farming in Goodsprings, and I can think of four other farms in the game off the top of my head.

I like the Wind Brahmin Farm. :3:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

did you miss the sharecropper farms taking up a huge area just south of Vegas

The scale might be off for those but they're big enough and we don't need to exacerbate NV's running simulator problems.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I can't play Nuclear Throne when tired or drunk, which kind of sucks because it's totally the kind of game that I'd play after a day of work while drinking a few beers, except that puts me into the situation of picking up a grenade launcher on 1-1 and immediately killing myself.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You're right I just forgot about that place because for some reason I hardly ever went to that area. But still I don't think I've ever come across a random caravan in the wild or some dude just going places to scavenge like in 4 but I could be wrong about that too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RyokoTK posted:

I can't play Nuclear Throne when tired or drunk, which kind of sucks because it's totally the kind of game that I'd play after a day of work while drinking a few beers, except that puts me into the situation of picking up a grenade launcher on 1-1 and immediately killing myself.

I was kind of the same way with Rogue Legacy. I picked it up as a 'podcasting game' to play while listening to/watching something else, but splitting my attention like that was suicide.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I zone out whenever the interesting new PC game mentioned in RPS or Eurogamer says it's a "Roguelike". gently caress Roguelikes. 90 percent of the time it's an excuse to stretch out a meagre game or hold hostage interesting gameplay, and you can't fault the game because fans will say "Get gud, son". Risk of Rain would actually be worth playing if it were a hand-crafted experience and FTL would make a fun Space-RPG if it weren't a strictly-on-the-rails trudge with crapshoot choices.

I'm reminded of Arkham: Origins having a perma-death option which is hilarious in a game where a game-breaking glitch would kill you sooner than Bane.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Apr 14, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I zone out whenever the interesting new PC game mentioned in RPS or Eurogamer says it's a "Roguelike". gently caress Roguelikes. 90 percent of the time it's an excuse to stretch out a meagre game or hold hostage interesting gameplay, and you can't fault the game because fans will say "Get gud, son". Risk of Rain would actually be worth playing if it were a hand-crafted experience and FTL would make a fun Space-RPG if it weren't a strictly-on-the-rails trudge with crapshoot choices.

My favorite thing about rogue likes and people saying "get gud" is when the game just shits on you. Like FTL is a great example because so many times I've gone on runs where I made it to the final boss without getting a single gun and very few crew members because somehow I managed to pick routes with almost no events or fights. So the boss was impossible to beat because I had nothing.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I thought the permadeath option in Arkham: Origins was silly because you could just exit if it looked like you were in trouble and try again at the last checkpoint. You still got most or all of your health back after every fight, so there are no limited resources you have to deal with like most roguelikes. There's no decisions or risk involved. You just fly around and collect stuff that gives you upgrades and skill points in between story stuff just like the regular game.

Speaking of Rogue Legacy, a while after the release, they added some extra challenges. After beating each of the bosses for the first time, you can get items that allow you to get access new versions of them by returning to the room where you fought them. You fight them in a room with platforms removed and/or dangerous spikes added. You're put in control of a preset character with abilities, gear, and levels irrespective of whatever you had going in, while the boss is at a level higher than yours. You can try as many times as you want without any consequences since you're just put back into your main character to try again. You get a character class based on the final boss if you beat all of them, plus a new version of the final boss where you fight two of them.

So why is this a bad thing?

I used to have all the achievements and now I probably won't be able to get them.
:saddowns:

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Apr 14, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Cleretic posted:

I was kind of the same way with Rogue Legacy. I picked it up as a 'podcasting game' to play while listening to/watching something else, but splitting my attention like that was suicide.

My game in this category is Risk of Rain. I tend to go with something like Grim Dawn for podcasting listening these days, anything that needs real concentration will get me hosed up badly.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Risk of Rain would actually be worth playing if it were a hand-crafted experience

But... RoR is really good?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I love the genre but it's a very mixed bag. FTL is garbage, isaac is garbage, and enter the gungeon is pretty tragic with a lot of potential.

Unfortunately gungeon is also very difficult, which is not a problem by itself, but it means that anytime points are raised about the game's crippling tedium and RNG problems, the people who disagree won't say anything beyond "looks like the game's too hard for you! Have you tried getting good?"

There are many good roguelites however, for example nuclear throne, spelunky and tower of guns.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

FTL was a lot of fun when I modded the rebel fleet out and traipsed around the galaxy at my own pace before getting blown to poo poo by the rebel flagship.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Digirat posted:

I love the genre but it's a very mixed bag. FTL is garbage, isaac is garbage, and enter the gungeon is pretty tragic with a lot of potential.

Unfortunately gungeon is also very difficult, which is not a problem by itself, but it means that anytime points are raised about the game's crippling tedium and RNG problems, the people who disagree won't say anything beyond "looks like the game's too hard for you! Have you tried getting good?"

There are many good roguelites however, for example nuclear throne, spelunky and tower of guns.
I'm being pedantic, but you didn't list a single roguelike in your list of roguelikes. Every game you mentioned in this post is a roguelite.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The best roguelike is Renowned Explorers, as the first thing you can do in the game is say "No, I want to be able to save and reload like a normal game".

There are so many games that I'd otherwise be interested in that are otherwise no-gos due to rougelike crud all over it, and it was fun to find one that let you just bypass that bit of archaic game design.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Stuntman posted:

I'm being pedantic, but you didn't list a single roguelike in your list of roguelikes. Every game you mentioned in this post is a roguelite.

Yes, which is why I used the word roguelite

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
These days "roguelike" is just a nicer way of saying "I have no idea how to actually balance a game or design levels so :gitgud:"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I like rogue likes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm actually kind of glad to see people making GBS threads on FTL here because everyone I know seems to love sucking it's dick even though it's completely unwinnable a lot of the time due to sheer bad luck. It's an interesting game with a fun theme but the random elements are done extremely poorly.

On that note are there any decent rogue likes for iOS other than the port of Powder and a million lovely flavors of Nethack? I remember 1000 Rogues being okay for a while until every subsequent update introduced more bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My issue with FTL isn't randomness, so much as randomness clashing with the game's balance. I love the thing, but that part hurts.

FTL asks for a good build to be very specialized. A build with some nice disparate weapons, a decent but not fantastic boarding setup and some okay defenses won't cut it; you need to have a plan and the best tools available to make that plan happen. That's okay, by itself.

The problem is that a lot of the time you'll be relying on luck to make that happen, to get the drops and materials you need. Missile-heavy ships are useless without missiles; drone ships require specific drones you might not get. The reason boarding ships work so well isn't just because killing everyone on board tends to give better rewards, it's also because boarding ships require a lot less lucky finds to get going.