Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Suspicious posted:

This is every loving NPC mod I ever tried. Even the BG1 NPC project make the stock NPCs never shut the gently caress up.

I never felt upstaged by any character in the BG1 NPC mod. They don't deviate far from their established characterization and mostly fill in things that were painted in broad strokes in the vanilla game. Edwin is hilarious, they totally nailed him as a :smuggo: blowhard who isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is. He will even try to upstage you, unlike the others, but he's too full of poo poo to come close to succeeding. Does it annoy you that they had lives and motivations before they met you?

Who is available as a companion in SoD and if they're new, what are their classes and stats?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
They comment on every single little thing, no matter how trivial or inane. They never stop. It's mostly all uninteresting yakking too. Like 95% of it is dumb filler. I prefer having nothing at all to having filler.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That's just not true. They don't comment any more than party members in Pillars of Eternity or Dragon Age. In fact they seem about equal in dialogue quantity to NPCs in more modern RPGs. Most of the comments in those games are not plot related either.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Hollismason posted:

I'm going to stick with Jaheira, but Minsc mage friend is terrible, no charm! Ugh what's a good wizard companion. I'm playing. Chaotic Good.

While on the topic of Mages - have you found the Ring of Wizardry? It's an absurdly good mage's ring that is hidden outside the South walls of the Friendly Arm Inn, in the ground by a tree, kind of in the middle of the map. The lootable area on the ground is tiny, so it's tricky to find the first time.

There's another secret like this in Nashkel, where you get a suit of Ankheg Plate Mail which is seriously baller early on. This one is hidden by a small tree at the west side of the large field in the southwestern area of the map.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There's another one in Siege of Dragonspear. Put them both on the same Mage for 20 level one spells a day! Anyone know what that would do to the iiSpell mod?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Xan is at the end of the Nashkel Mines. He's an Enchanter and thus has the opposite problem of Dynaheir in that he doesn't get any Evocation spells, so no Magic Missiles, no Fireballs, etc.
He's also incredibly annoying.

Honestly I'd make your PC a mage of some kind, BG2 has very few good mages (and the good aligned ones are all extremely loving grating), and arcane magic rules the roost given the crazy amount of mage fights.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Honestly I'd make your PC a mage of some kind, BG2 has very few good mages (and the good aligned ones are all extremely loving grating), and arcane magic rules the roost given the crazy amount of mage fights.

Aerie and Nalia I understand, but Imoen? She has like a dozen lines of dialogue after you rescue her in Spellhold.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

ineptmule posted:

While on the topic of Mages - have you found the Ring of Wizardry? It's an absurdly good mage's ring that is hidden outside the South walls of the Friendly Arm Inn, in the ground by a tree, kind of in the middle of the map. The lootable area on the ground is tiny, so it's tricky to find the first time.

There's another secret like this in Nashkel, where you get a suit of Ankheg Plate Mail which is seriously baller early on. This one is hidden by a small tree at the west side of the large field in the southwestern area of the map.

Cool, yeah now that Khaelid is dead as soon as I find another druid she is getting the boot. Ankheg plate mail is something I had a question about. I gave the Ankeh to the another but no platemail.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Druids are bad, Jaheira's dual class actually compensates for her druidness.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Woolie Wool posted:

Druids are bad, Jaheira's dual class actually compensates for her druidness.

Druids aren't that min/maxxy but Call Woodland Beings, Insect Plague, Iron Skins, Nature's Beauty and Summon Fire Elemental are all fantastic spells that only druids get.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

For a support caster I'd rather have a cleric, for offensive casting I'd rather have a mage. A druid seems like an awkward in-between with onerous equipment restrictions.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Druids are late bloomers who also suffer from an incredibly bizarre xp curve. During the awkward zone Jaheira can fall back on being a quality fighter (and there are a lot of good quarterstaves for her to use in both BG1 and BG2), but if you're taking a single-class druid you will probably need to carry them with other party members until you get up to the midlevels and can transition into the Decanter Of Endless Bees fighting style.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, I just gotta get that proficiency in Scimitars/etc.. cause I wanna be able to ditch that Quarterstaff +1 I have. Found the Ankmerh Armour, + Turned one in so I'm probably going buy one for Bren so she'll basically be in plate.

I just don't like the mage I have now and need to get rid of her through death so Minsc will stay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
For BG 2 I usually mod Jaheira to specialize in spears because there are a couple great ones.

What's the easiest way to get a character to 100% fire resistance, because one of these days I want to turn into a gimmick build with Club of Detonation.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Potions of Fire Resistance are pretty cheap IIRC. Put one on a Cavalier with a Ring of Fire Resistance and you have a Collateral Damage Fireball proof tank.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Skwirl posted:

For BG 2 I usually mod Jaheira to specialize in spears because there are a couple great ones.

What's the easiest way to get a character to 100% fire resistance, because one of these days I want to turn into a gimmick build with Club of Detonation.

If you don't want to mess around with potions or spells, the Windspear Hills dungeon has all you need. There's a ring of fire resistance there for 40%, the Dragon Helm for 25% more, and of course the red dragon scale armor from skinning Firkraag's corpse for another 50%.

Edit: Once you go to the Underdark there's a ring of fire control in the mind flayer zone which gives 50% resistance, freeing up that helmet slot for something else. (Vhailor's)

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 13, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So the first thing SoD does is drop me in a dungeon without Imoen and hand me Safana instead, who has next to no gear, no ranged weapon, and is level 4. Great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mzbundifund posted:

If you don't want to mess around with potions or spells, the Windspear Hills dungeon has all you need. There's a ring of fire resistance there for 40%, the Dragon Helm for 25% more, and of course the red dragon scale armor from skinning Firkraag's corpse for another 50%.

Edit: Once you go to the Underdark there's a ring of fire control in the mind flayer zone which gives 50% resistance, freeing up that helmet slot for something else. (Vhailor's)

Or I'll keep the hat and use the 165% as free healing.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Skwirl posted:

Or I'll keep the hat and use the 165% as free healing.

Cast Protection from Fire on and kick it up to 245%!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is there an way to lower reputation in BG2 without causing too much trouble? I want to do a couple of the quests in Trademeet to get some better equipment, but I don't want my Reputation to get too high, otherwise Edwin will end up leaving the party.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Is there an way to lower reputation in BG2 without causing too much trouble? I want to do a couple of the quests in Trademeet to get some better equipment, but I don't want my Reputation to get too high, otherwise Edwin will end up leaving the party.

Is Viconia with you?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Jaheira is actually a real good druid, in that she's a multiclass druid. Non-MC druids are terrible, and fighter is probably their best MC. She has pretty good weapon access (just use whatever to retrain her out of sword+shield because who gives a poo poo about a minor AC bonus against arrows) and fighter lets her fill up on two weapon fighting, meaning you can easily go Spectral Brand / Belm or Club of Detonation / Belm. Alternately go with spears and grab Greater Whirlwind when the due time comes. Late game AC matters way, way less, except she has Ironskins and Hardiness to keep her going. The biggest problem druids have as a support class is they can't bring back the dead - guess who has a unique spell to do just that?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Slayer the gently caress out

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kavak posted:

Is Viconia with you?

No, but it's not possible for me to go back and get her.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Slayer the gently caress out
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but all I want to do is lower it by a couple of points. One recommendation I heard was to try stealing from a shop you don't plan to revisit.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Hire Dorn.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Won't my reputation revert back to normal once he leaves the party, though?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but all I want to do is lower it by a couple of points. One recommendation I heard was to try stealing from a shop you don't plan to revisit.
Sorry I'm an idiot and didn't connect that you'd still be in act 2. There is an ability you get later that lower reputation with each use.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Sorry I'm an idiot and didn't connect that you'd still be in act 2. There is an ability you get later that lower reputation with each use.

Oh, I see. I remember reading here in the thread that you get a bunch of challenge in one of the later chapters wherein you can lower your Rep through the choices you make.

Also, I tried recruiting Dorn, and it does decrease you Rep by 1 point, even when he leaves.Can you do that multiple times, or does it only work the first time you do it?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Infinity Engine does not handle Dragonspear's crowd scenes well. I want a spell that pushes NPCs out of the way while playing this music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb46JSn4O3w

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

The Infinity Engine does not handle Dragonspear's crowd scenes well. I want a spell that pushes NPCs out of the way while playing this music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb46JSn4O3w

You can just edit the audio files for Fireball.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So apparently if somehow (:devil:) Dynaheir gets chunked in BG1, she returns to your party as chunks in SoD.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

So apparently if somehow (:devil:) Dynaheir gets chunked in BG1, she returns to your party as chunks in SoD.

Dangit, that didn't happen to me, I had to explode her again.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The biggest problem druids have as a support class is they can't bring back the dead - guess who has a unique spell to do just that?

Rods of resurrection. There are 2 very early into SoA and a third in ToB. Anyone can use them.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well SoD has left me in a bit of a pickle. The only good mage available is Edwin...who absolutely will not travel with Minsc this time. Dynaheir's so far behind that I probably can't even afford all the scrolls she'd need. God damnit.

E: This is so annoying I just used the console to force the issue. Now to dispose of Dynaheir...

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 13, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Woolie Wool posted:

Well SoD has left me in a bit of a pickle. The only good mage available is Edwin...who absolutely will not travel with Minsc this time. Dynaheir's so far behind that I probably can't even afford all the scrolls she'd need. God damnit.

E: This is so annoying I just used the console to force the issue. Now to dispose of Dynaheir...

You could have gone with Baeloth

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Woolie Wool posted:

I beat it with Dynaheir just fine, not sure I see the issue?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Shouldn't Dynaheir's level more or less match the PC's at least when she's first picked up?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wizard Styles posted:

Shouldn't Dynaheir's level more or less match the PC's at least when she's first picked up?

It will. She gets auto leveled up. Then you just have to get scrolls for her.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Nope. Also when you're in Trademeet, big hint here, side with the guy in the dumb dispute (this will make sense when it happens) so that his NPC doesn't disappear from the game. Then if you do the "right" thing you can go kill him later for his unique and excellent chain mail that you can cast spells in (my last game I sided with the chick and was kicking myself about it since my MC is a F/M).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Fighter 9->Druid multiclass is a really good combo the whole way through the game tbh. Fighter for BG1 is good, you hit druid level 10 and get your fighter levels back in BG2 almost right out the gate, bring the best mid-BG2 summons and have great tanking ability through BG2 with Ironskins, then late game you've got Nature's Beauty which is the best and most reliable crowd control for high level poo poo. Other than mage combos, fighter->druid is my favourite PC to use.