Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The Nexus 5x (and I assume the 6p) has a lower power coprocessor that always reads the accelerators and turns on the phone when you pull it out, which kind of serves the same purpose as the e-ink display. Apple watch has a similar feature, I don't know if the iPhone has the same feature, but I expect it will eventually be ubiquitous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Germstore posted:

The Nexus 5x (and I assume the 6p) has a lower power coprocessor that always reads the accelerators and turns on the phone when you pull it out, which kind of serves the same purpose as the e-ink display. Apple watch has a similar feature, I don't know if the iPhone has the same feature, but I expect it will eventually be ubiquitous.

e-ink has a few special uses but it's hardly a massive hassle to carry a kindle around instead of squinting at the back of my phone whenever I want to read a book.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
How long until we get an 'ironic' kickstarter to bulid a new Nokia N-Gage by some hipsters who have brought the rights to the new or something?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Notice that small number 2 at the end of the popSLATE name? Turns out the same guy FFed the first one in 2013. While he claims to have delivered 8 months ago, some still complain they haven't received theirs. I'm sure this time will be different.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

OldMemes posted:

How long until we get an 'ironic' kickstarter to bulid a new Nokia N-Gage by some hipsters who have brought the rights to the new or something?

Nobody bought an N-Gage, therefore nobody has childhood nostalgia for it.

Now the Atari Lynx on the other hand....

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TetsuoTW posted:

Nobody bought an N-Gage, therefore nobody has childhood nostalgia for it.

Now the Atari Lynx on the other hand....

...actually sold fewer systems than the N-Gage did.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have nostalgia for the ridiculous side-talkin' ads.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

...actually sold fewer systems than the N-Gage did.

OK then how about the Sega Nomad?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

TetsuoTW posted:

I know at least one person bought a Nomad (it was me)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I wanted a Nomad when Toys R Us were fire saleing them in like 1998.

My grandmother bought me a Game Gear instead.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I had a Lynx and it was honestly pretty neat but it devoured batteries like you would not believe.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I don't know why you can't just download an ereader app on your phone?

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Why would you want a second, shittier screen on the back of your phone that only shows you things your better screen can already display? :psyduck:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The thinking is it uses less power than the regular screen even if it stays on all the time. It also acts like another battery. So you get all the perks of the phone always on and running without the high power consumption. That's assuming it's a legit product. Even so, it'd be a niche product.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

The thinking is it uses less power than the regular screen even if it stays on all the time. It also acts like another battery. So you get all the perks of the phone always on and running without the high power consumption. That's assuming it's a legit product. Even so, it'd be a niche product.

Yeah, if they're using an e-ink screen then it really only uses an appreciable amount of power when the screen changes. Although having a screen on a protective case just seems like it defeats the purpose of a protective case as now you have to worry about that screen being scratched and I doubt they're using the same scratch resistant stuff that Apple uses.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, if they're using an e-ink screen then it really only uses an appreciable amount of power when the screen changes. Although having a screen on a protective case just seems like it defeats the purpose of a protective case as now you have to worry about that screen being scratched and I doubt they're using the same scratch resistant stuff that Apple uses.

Maybe they need to build a case for the case.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
And then put another screen on the case for the case.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TetsuoTW posted:

They sold even less of those!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

They sold even less of those!
poo poo, then what about the Gizmondo?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TetsuoTW posted:

poo poo, then what about the Gizmondo?

Sold less than 1% the amount of consoles as the N-Gage. Probably even less than that considering it was a scam after all.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

fishmech posted:

Sold less than 1% the amount of consoles as the N-Gage. Probably even less than that considering it was a scam after all.

Perfect for a hardware Kickstarter, then.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Maybe the Game.Com can make a Kickstarter comeback! Though I think not even kickstarter would stoop low enough to let someone try and sell a new Game.com console.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

close your eyes for 30 second (no longer) and imagine the sort of child who asked for a game.com for christmas.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Lookin' forward to the Neo Geo Pocket Color revival.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i keep thinking about buying a wonderswan, despite all sensible thought. maybe they should kickstart that.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

RandomPauI posted:

Plus it'd be useless outside apps specifically written to take advantage of it.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

100% would back.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Baron Snow posted:

100% would back.

Yeah the NGPC owns don't even lump it in with the loving Game.com

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I wasn't being sarcastic. :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OldMemes posted:

Maybe the Game.Com can make a Kickstarter comeback! Though I think not even kickstarter would stoop low enough to let someone try and sell a new Game.com console.

It'd actually be pretty useful if someone made a new Game.com to play the old game cartridges (there's still assloads of unsold games in storage all over) but with a screen that didn't make you want to die.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

:agreed:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lemme do ya one better.

Imagine one of these mothers with an e-ink screen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

E: poo poo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

Mumpy Puffinz chooses the Awful Kickstarters thread to make a bold stand nobody cares about over an issue people agree with them on already in a manner that is confusing to everybody.

in my defense I was very drunk

E:gently caress Kickstarter

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Waffleman_ posted:

Lemme do ya one better.

Imagine one of these mothers with an e-ink screen.

The new smart watch that lasts a lifetime! :v:

Fat Pony
Oct 7, 2005

THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH
I would pay so much money to see this Kickstarter pitched on Shark Tank. Look past the bad product and ludicrous backer rewards and just listen to the pitch video.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1968200734/wave-goodbye-to-cyberbullies-and-trolls-socialauto

Wave goodbye to cyberbullies... because we're gonna doxx the poo poo out of 'em or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fat Pony posted:

I would pay so much money to see this Kickstarter pitched on Shark Tank. Look past the bad product and ludicrous backer rewards and just listen to the pitch video.

What the gently caress is the voice in the video.

Also why the gently caress would I want to wear a towel for an extended period of time.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ville Valo posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1968200734/wave-goodbye-to-cyberbullies-and-trolls-socialauto

Wave goodbye to cyberbullies... because we're gonna doxx the poo poo out of 'em or something.

(Also the maker was supposedly doxxed in response to the Kickstarter. She did not think this through).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Ville Valo posted:

so they have gotten a "provisional patent" for...copying social media posts with slurs in them?