Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Hahah goddamn. I mean obviously there is stuff like the Sixth Sense's twist, but I can't see people freaking out at any reveal in a serialized movie.

It reminds me of poo poo like hearing how people vomited and passed out during the Exorcist. Have us millenials just evolved like a protective detachment from media that prevents us from being affected by movies like that?

I thought I had, but when I saw Rocky Balboa opening weekend I drat near leapt out of my seat and shouted "COME ON ROCK!" during the final round. For a moment I actually forgot I was watching a movie, which was even more amazing considering that scene came just after a montage. That feeling was transcendent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

McSpanky posted:

I thought I had, but when I saw Rocky Balboa opening weekend I drat near leapt out of my seat and shouted "COME ON ROCK!" during the final round. For a moment I actually forgot I was watching a movie, which was even more amazing considering that scene came just after a montage. That feeling was transcendent.

Good sports movies can do that. I had this reaction to 'Goon' over the weekend. Which is an excellent sports movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snowman_McK posted:

Good sports movies can do that. I had this reaction to 'Goon' over the weekend. Which is an excellent sports movie.

Sports in general seem to have the ability to force your brain into a pre-historic state. Almost like it's just your "monkey brain" parts that are engaged. After all, name any horrible, terrible, what bums, team and there will be legions of fans who bleed the team colors and are convinced every game that their team can totally win. Actually playing them is even more so, I remember crying when we lost the state championship back in high school, and I was riding that bench as hard as anyone ever has.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Stolen from the BSS thread: Here's the first official teaser poster for Strange.

#MARVEL

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

And WB confirms the Batfleck solo-film.

Today is a good day.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Kimmel had a short new clip from Civil War. After Ant-Man is abducted by Falcon and Hawkeye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTqkoFF3fJI

Also, keep watching for Paul Rudd and Disney musical trivia.

This clip shows off daper Vision. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWxGzxMAGX0

It is pretty crazy that there has still been 0 shots of Daniel Brühl, that I'm aware of, and Martin Freeman's character is only really visible in any of the media by freeze frame.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm looking forward to the clip Paul Rudd brings to Conan.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just find it amusing that Cap and Tony go back and forth while Vision, the guy who can just wipe everyone out, is sitting fly as gently caress.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The Dave posted:

I just find it amusing that Cap and Tony go back and forth while Vision, the guy who can just wipe everyone out, is sitting fly as gently caress.

Vision has no time for the qualms of men, you cretin.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Cardigan Vision owns.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vision has like one more of these petty-rear end arguments before he goes Doc Manhattan all over everyone.
Speaking of - does anyone think Zack Snyder made a mistake doing Watchmen before hitting mainstream characters?
It seems like it will forever continue to color his character interpretations - it's hard to come back after realizing a "gritty, real" Superman is a fuckin' weirdass space alien.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm looking forward to the clip Paul Rudd brings to Conan.

I gotta say I tried to look up what day he was on and then I remembered the gag.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

McSpanky posted:

This is how I felt during Hardcore Henry, the ultimate sports movie (e-sports). COME ON HENRY, BRUTALLY RIP OPEN THIS GUY'S RIB CAGE AS WELL!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

30 seconds of new Wonder Woman footage shown at Cinemacon.

quote:

In the footage, which was integrated into a huge reel that also had footage taken from Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and Suicide Squad, we see her on horseback in the woods and in a field. We see Chris Pine’s character in the cockpit of an old airplane, ready to take off. We see Wonder Woman in a room fighting a group of soldiers, throwing a slow motion spin kick. She deflects a bullet off her forearms and it kills three soldiers in one shot. We also see Diana show up at a party in a bright blue dress, making her stand out among the mostly gold color scheme.

The movie definitely has a similar aesthetic to Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, but the period setting—the costumes, the castles, etc.—just gives it a different feel.

In voiceover, the character says that the film will tell Wonder Woman’s “entire history” and explain what her mission is. That was about it in the short amount of footage we got to see—but we’ll have more from CinemaCon soon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cardigan Vision owns.

The thing I might be most excited about with the Infinity Gauntlet stuff is Thanos ripping Vision's stone out and possibly killing him

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mordiceius posted:

I just think it's stupid as gently caress to call it a :gay: cinematic universe :gay:.

It's two movies and then a crossover movie. It's not a loving cinematic universe.

Every film now is a cinematic universe to someone. When the trailer for 10 Cloverfield Ln came out, there were people talking about how exciting it was to have another film in the Cloverfield universe.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

The thing I might be most excited about with the Infinity Gauntlet stuff is Thanos ripping Vision's stone out and possibly killing him
Pretty sure it's just going to look like the reverse of Ronan acquiring the power gem in GotG.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

For me it's hoping there's some sort of scene where all these heroes that have been built up over the years are dead and Thanos is just walking around in silence.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just as long as he doesn't gently caress up them cardigans.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Violator posted:

There was a giant ape skull in the MTV Movie Awards footage they showed, but that skull was small compared to Godzilla '14. Like it appears Kong is going to be 1/8 to 1/4 Godzilla's size. It might be an interesting dynamic with him crawling all over Godzilla and trying to break his limbs or something. Or maybe there is a bunch of giant apes and Kong is their leader or something?

Maybe he has a coconut gun that fires in spurts.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tyree posted:

It is pretty crazy that there has still been 0 shots of Daniel Brühl, that I'm aware of, and Martin Freeman's character is only really visible in any of the media by freeze frame.

I think that they've said those two are more setting up for future films so aren't involved too much in this one.

Like, either Zemo has a minor role, or they're hiding him because he's a big part of the movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tyree posted:

Good to see we're still at the "talk about the film's themes in detail" stage of screen writing.

Go all out. 2.5 hour slide show debate or bust, Marvel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Good to see we're still at the "talk about the film's themes in detail" stage of screen writing.

Go all out. 2.5 hour slide show debate or bust, Marvel.

Hahaha what the hell is this?

"Characters talking? gently caress OFF MARVEL!"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Hahaha what the hell is this?

"Characters talking? gently caress OFF MARVEL!"
Especially considering Holly Hunter's entire listing off explicitly of the themes and questions of the film in BvS. loving Marvel.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

That scene is incredibly well-written by someone with a deep understanding of their audience.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dr. Strange teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwcSki7r9cQ

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Holy loving poo poo they did it. Marvel Inceptionverse.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I like it. Looks like it's cribbing a bit from Inception with some of the visuals, but pretty trippy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was awesome. I can't believe they have a trailer ready and they finished shooting 10 days ago.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You know, I distinctly remember Feige saying that this wasn't going to be Yet Another loving Origin Story, and yet here we are.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wheeee posted:

That scene is incredibly well-written by someone with a deep understanding of their audience.
This is also true.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

AccountSupervisor posted:

I cant really disclose how I know this but theyve been doing some big stuff in NYC. Aerial shots with ARRI65 cameras(Digital IMAX) scanning and mapping the whole city for supposedly a scene in which the city is being broken and shifted into pieces by some kind of magic.

Basically Marvel is going all out with this movie from everything Ive heard.

I posted this in the last Comic Book Movie Megathread in regards to Dr. Strange

Im so happy they featured some of this in the trailers. Ive been dying to see it and its looking as awesome as I expected.

I am so excited for this movie. Marvel is at their best when they go full blown crazy.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 13, 2016

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

mr. stefan posted:

You know, I distinctly remember Feige saying that this wasn't going to be Yet Another loving Origin Story, and yet here we are.

Why would you not do an origin story? It is not like Spider-man, Batman or Superman where everybody has seen the origin story a million times.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

mr. stefan posted:

I don't mind because Doctor Strange is, well, pretty loving strange so I'd say he warrants an origin more than most and like that guy up there said... your average movie goer has no clue who he is.
Also, I have no idea what the hell I just watched but I want more.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh yes this is very much my poo poo. :catdrugs:

Though I am hoping for a little less Inception and a little more Fantasia

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

mr. stefan posted:

quote:

"For some reason people sometimes talked about how we're not doing an origin story, we're bored of origin stories. I think people are bored of origin stories they've seen before or origin stories that are overly familiar," Feige told IGN at Tuesday's press event. "Doctor Strange has one of the best, most classic, most unique origin stories of any hero we have, so why wouldn't we do that? That was sort of always the plan. How you tell that origin, perhaps there are ways to twist it or play with that, but for the most part, it's a gift when the comics have something with such clarity of story and of character. That doesn't always happen in the comics, and when it does, you use it."

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

No idea why but the nod to the multiverse gets me hyped.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FInally, the sequel to The Shadow I've been waiting for all these years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRcZ4Pw2t_8

I'm not even kidding.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
That trailer is tight as poo poo. Digging Cumberbatch's accent too!

But honestly? I think my dad is gonna love it. He's such a Doctor Strange fanboy :kimchi: Going with him to see this will be so fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Someone watched Inception

• Locked thread