Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Question about the second boss in the game:

So I was co-oping with someone else and we fought Dancer of the Boreal Valley, which horribly murdered me. Then playing on my own when I got there I said "gently caress that" and turned the other way and killed some other dude Of The Boreal Valley. That ended in a dead-end, so I turned around and went back to the Dancer who... wasn't there, just some old lady who gave me a banner that took me further into the game. What gives? Do you only have to kill one or the other? Did I lock myself out of a fight?

Anywho overall review after ~4 hours, the game is absolutely incredible. PS4 framerate is a little iffy, especially when fighting goop monsters. I'm a big fan of the fact that they seem to have copied the Bloodborne mechanic of having a bonfire spawn in the boss room on victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Eonwe posted:

out of those, I was thinking refined, and it would balance str & dex, which Im trying to do for my first character anyway

sure, why not. you can change it later if it doesn't work out

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Are the roll thresholds still 25 and 50 percent? I can't tell if my roll is any faster under 50%.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lets hang out posted:

sure, why not. you can change it later if it doesn't work out

oh! awesome! I thoguht it was permanent

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

man nurse posted:

More specifics? I'm not sure what catacombs or what swamp the other poster was referring to. As far as I can tell I've combed every available area in the game, so I'm obviously missing something.
from the halfway fort bonfire, there's this swamp area with crabs in it. you want to go to the other side, where 2 hostile npcs(one with a great club, one with a curved greatsword) are. the fort they're guarding has a ladder down that leads to farron's keep, which is where the abyss watchers are.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So what's the go to vulgar message now?

Besides my posting

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I need way more titanite than I've got lol, the battle axe and claymore are pretty fun.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Eonwe posted:

out of those, I was thinking refined, and it would balance str & dex, which Im trying to do for my first character anyway

Be sure you want to stick with Uchigatana before you refine it, I made the mistake before of infusing a weapon that ended up being weak after the first couple areas, and it's a long way to the second refined gem (unless I missed one).

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Eonwe posted:

oh! awesome! I thoguht it was permanent

nah, you can swap infusions as often as you want as long as you have the materials for it. doesn't undo your upgrade levels either.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

Question about the second boss in the game:

So I was co-oping with someone else and we fought Dancer of the Boreal Valley, which horribly murdered me. Then playing on my own when I got there I said "gently caress that" and turned the other way and killed some other dude Of The Boreal Valley. That ended in a dead-end, so I turned around and went back to the Dancer who... wasn't there, just some old lady who gave me a banner that took me further into the game. What gives? Do you only have to kill one or the other? Did I lock myself out of a fight?

The one that killed you is a much, much later boss, that you can skip to immediately by killing the lady who gave you the banners.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think I'm going to bother. They were all 3v1s, which is fine, but drat if I can't figure out how to land a blow if they don't want you to.

I thought I entered a solo host the following invasion, he ran off to summon and I decided I wanted something not a flat arena for a fight. Five minutes later I go get him because maybe he was solo after all, then a white phantom jumped on my head, so I decided gently caress that and ran off to read another chapter in the book while waiting. Now they're standing up there at the first bonfire, not hitting a single enemy, not moving a single step. My record in waiting for host+summons to leave their safe little space in Bloodborne was 25-30 minutes, it will be beat in DS3.

e: They came! Got them easily once not a flat open boring rear end tryhard area

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 13, 2016

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
I read that left swipe is for gestures, is that default? Because nothing is happening I hope my controller isn't broken :smith:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Specto posted:

from the halfway fort bonfire, there's this swamp area with crabs in it. you want to go to the other side, where 2 hostile npcs(one with a great club, one with a curved greatsword) are. the fort they're guarding has a ladder down that leads to farron's keep, which is where the abyss watchers are.

Awesome, thank you much.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Eastdrom posted:

Just shoot him with a bow from outside the door, if he gets too close back up a bit, rinse and re-do

I ended up retreating up the elevator and he just fell down. :darksouls:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

everyone must have bought it for PS4 today because that patch is going real real slow :smith:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Orv posted:

The one that killed you is a much, much later boss, that you can skip to immediately by killing the lady who gave you the banners.

Cool beans, thanks.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:stare: I just raised my banner by the cliff after the 2nd boss

this game looks so good

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Specto posted:

...wait, what, there is another zone to go to from the swamp than Farron Keep?

Edit: Never mind, confusion identified, I should probably bail on this thread :v: It's hurting my ability to gently caress up organically.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 13, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Eonwe posted:

:stare: I just raised my banner by the cliff after the 2nd boss

this game looks so good

Anor Londo all over again

Harpy ubers are truly unappreciated in their tine

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does the fat knight seriously not drop anything?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
:siren: Hey guys, I fixed my stuttering when saving/picking up items :siren:

Real easy fix, worked right away. All you have to do is roll your Windows 10 upgrade back to Windows 7.

I can confirm 100% this works!

Praise The Sun!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

NESguerilla posted:

Does the fat knight seriously not drop anything?

he has a chance to drop his weapon

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...wait, what, there is another zone to go to from the swamp than Farron Keep?

yes, cathedral of the deep, past the crystal sage. you have to go there eventually.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does password matching not work right now? Four of us tried with the same password, I could only join one person once, the others never, and it disconnected partway through. I couldn't rejoin after, no one could see anyone else.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Eastdrom posted:

This game is the best. I killed the blue covenant lady in the church and this giant quadrupedal knight turned up and one hits me every time, anyone knocked this guy off successfully?

That explains why that room is full of bloodstains then...

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Eonwe posted:

should I infuse the uchigatana

I have raw (which seems bad), fire, and refined as options

i infused my weebstick with a sharp gem, which increases dex scaling and reduces str scaling and base damage. even with like 16 dex it raised the damage up from 140 to like 160. these gems drop in a place with skeletons

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Is there a Blueblood Sword equivalent in this game, or is the concession that every weapon is a Blueblood Sword with a hollow gem?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Minorkos posted:

i infused my weebstick with a sharp gem, which increases dex scaling and reduces str scaling and base damage. even with like 16 dex it raised the damage up from 140 to like 160. these gems drop in a place with skeletons

After an hour of failed moundmaking and invading I now hate that loving katana.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Moldy Taxes posted:

Is there a Blueblood Sword equivalent in this game, or is the concession that every weapon is a Blueblood Sword with a hollow gem?

There is

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Why when I became a sunbro did I not learn the gesture. Do I need some medals first? And do we know if we need to take the medals somewhere to turn them in?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone clarify what dictates what weapon arts a weapon will use? I figured it was weapon class, but after initially being stoked on finding the mail breaker it doesn't have the same weapon art as the starting dagger which I am pretty attached to using throughout the game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Basebf555 posted:

Why when I became a sunbro did I not learn the gesture. Do I need some medals first? And do we know if we need to take the medals somewhere to turn them in?

you'll get the gesture when you find the place to turn in medals

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
AW boss Abyss watchers phase 2 is soooo good. Its like Maria from BB but even more fun. poo poo is loving intense, and looks amazing.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 13, 2016

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I know what my next build is gonna be.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

NESguerilla posted:

Can someone clarify what dictates what weapon arts a weapon will use? I figured it was weapon class, but after initially being stoked on finding the mail breaker it doesn't have the same weapon art as the starting dagger which I am pretty attached to using throughout the game.

It'll say in the item's stat page. Like Stance, War Cry, etc.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
OH GOD I KILLED ALL THE CRABS. :gonk:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Stupid question, but how do I gesture using the PS4 controller? The center button also seems to bring up the menu.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Does reinforcing my catalyst impact my spell damage or just my melee damage with it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jon Irenicus posted:

Stupid question, but how do I gesture using the PS4 controller? The center button also seems to bring up the menu.

If it's like Bloodborne, I'd imagine it's on the side of the touch pad. Left for gesture and right for menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

After an hour of failed moundmaking and invading I now hate that loving katana.

it's the new meme sword, like the drake sword in dark souls 1