Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I basically did the run without dodging too, had the Estus Flask thing as a 2nd active which helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Is there an unlock for doing that or are you just doing it for the sake of doing it?

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Bringing the busted TV to the weaponsmith in the forge unlocks a character.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The rat wont steal the tv while you're fighting in the room right?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Snazzy Frocks posted:

no the rat never steals anything until you leave the room

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Correct. You need to leave it unattended for him to come and get it.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Who says ammo boxes are rare?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

chestnut santabag posted:

Bringing the busted TV to the weaponsmith in the forge unlocks a character.

Ah gently caress, that's not going to be fun. Might as well use the Pilot and hope I get a jetpack or the like.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The game's too slow.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I really wish it moved at a pace at least closer to nuclear throne but I don't think even a mod could fix that. :( The pace reminds me of isaac, which is not good because isaac is trash.

Also, how likely is this game to be moddable? I feel like a lot of my biggest complaints with RNG, snowball mechanics, runs that are dead long before you've actually lost, and so on could be addressed with mods. The pace would still be too low and the game would still be about shooting too few enemies with too much health, but if you could at least do that with interesting guns, it would be much improved.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Honestly, if they just let you shoot fun guns from floor 1 and got rid of the sidearm grinding, most of my issues would be fixed.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Boy howdy am I tired of flawlessling entire floors and still not getting a single key drop. There needs to be a way to convert all these drat hearts into keys.

Also I have not yet seen Beholdster in the 12+ runs I've had since unlocking the quest to kill him (her?) three times.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Jibo posted:

Boy howdy am I tired of flawlessling entire floors and still not getting a single key drop. There needs to be a way to convert all these drat hearts into keys.

Also I have not yet seen Beholdster in the 12+ runs I've had since unlocking the quest to kill him (her?) three times.

That's amazingly bad luck. I got the quest to hunt the Beholster and then got Beholster as my zone 2 boss three times in a row :v:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's amazingly bad luck. I got the quest to hunt the Beholster and then got Beholster as my zone 2 boss three times in a row :v:

The game knows that I think it's the easiest boss on floor 2. :(

Honestly though, as frustrating as this game can sometimes be, it is still fun as hell. I'm already at almost 80 hours played (but this is mostly because there's no option to save and resume a run).

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Game is so much better cheating for infinite keys lol. You can pick up 100% of the fun items and guns in chests and actually use your money to buy more guns and ammo from the shop instead of more goddamn keys. You just get and use fun stuff so much more consistently, it's like night and day. Not regretting buying it now. Although I got a win early on and 10 hours later I've yet to repeat that feat :shepicide:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

lazorexplosion posted:

Game is so much better cheating for infinite keys lol. You can pick up 100% of the fun items and guns in chests and actually use your money to buy more guns and ammo from the shop instead of more goddamn keys. You just get and use fun stuff so much more consistently, it's like night and day. Not regretting buying it now. Although I got a win early on and 10 hours later I've yet to repeat that feat :shepicide:

Are you using Cheat Engine? I tried just messing around with it the other day and I can't for the life of me get it to hook into the game process.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think just nixing keys being required for chests entirely and adding slightly more frequent locked rooms/paths would go a long way. That way they wouldn't have to make it so that keys drop all that frequently, while removing the current hindrance of your amount of key drops determining whether your run is fun or not.

edit: And, imo, this would be pretty much balanced right out of the gate because more frequent locked paths means there is a chance that your route to one of the chests will be blocked by a key door, which would still give keys SOME value without requiring you to be lucky enough to get 2 or 3 per floor.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 13, 2016

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Digirat posted:

Also, how likely is this game to be moddable? I feel like a lot of my biggest complaints with RNG, snowball mechanics, runs that are dead long before you've actually lost, and so on could be addressed with mods. The pace would still be too low and the game would still be about shooting too few enemies with too much health, but if you could at least do that with interesting guns, it would be much improved.
I looked at the game files hoping I could edit some numbers, but it looks like it was made in Unity. Unless the developers add support for it, it isn't going to happen.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Jibo posted:

Are you using Cheat Engine? I tried just messing around with it the other day and I can't for the life of me get it to hook into the game process.

Yep, cheat engine.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

I think just nixing keys being required for chests entirely and adding slightly more frequent locked rooms/paths would go a long way. That way they wouldn't have to make it so that keys drop all that frequently, while removing the current hindrance of your amount of key drops determining whether your run is fun or not.

They should get rid of keys being required for brown chests, I think. Or at the very least increase the chances of chests being unlocked.

I also feel like Shops should never be locked. I don't know how many times I've hit the second floor with zero keys and a locked shop. Then even if you get a key you have to choose between opening a chest or unlocking the shop for a chance at spending money on something you might want.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Like another key

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I really like all the effort in the pasts as a personal aside. The fact they all have something unique about them is really nice even if they've all been breather fights so far (haven't done marine or pilots but Convict and Hunters were simple enough)

I wonder if the pasts all tie together somehow as there does seem to be a actual story buried under all the goofy references and smiling bullets.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Man, the Wallmonger fight is super weird with two speed boosts, I was like angling jumps and going in the fire because rolling out of it wasn't guaranteed damage.

I had a pretty crazy run going with a Stinger + Double Vision on the convict but the fifth level had a mega fucker room with a lead maiden and at least two of the hammer things with a bunch of empty space. That absolutely destroyed me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
God, I'm so glad that this game rewards skill the way that it does. After I spend all of the first 3 floors sans bosses using only my starting pistol as the pilot, and perfect Treadnaut again, and take barely any damage throughout chamber 4(and use my bomb item to save ammo), I still end up in this situation:

I am out of ammo on goddamn everything except the worthless Plunger weapon which does like no damage here and puts poison all over the floor. It doesn't loving matter if I get extra heart containers from perfecting bosses if AMMO LITERALLY NEVER DROPS THE ENTIRE RUN

hey gungeon devs if you're gonna have a "coolness" based drop timer how about you put ammo drops on a separate timer from other drops, decreased by how much ammo you are missing*amount of weapons missing ammo. maybe then people could actually use their weapons without inevitably running out because even if you get a bunch of weapons the ammo they start with is not enough to complete the game

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's really sad how much worse this game is than BOI. It's like they played BOI, saw everything it does right, and decided to do all that poo poo wrong. I love the art style, but everything about the mechanics is just blech.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I really like all the effort in the pasts as a personal aside. The fact they all have something unique about them is really nice even if they've all been breather fights so far (haven't done marine or pilots but Convict and Hunters were simple enough)

I wonder if the pasts all tie together somehow as there does seem to be a actual story buried under all the goofy references and smiling bullets.

My favorite bit was in Convict's past when you kill black stache and the game declares "go to car" to properly cap off how Hotline Miami the entire bit is.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

K8.0 posted:

It's really sad how much worse this game is than BOI. It's like they played BOI, saw everything it does right, and decided to do all that poo poo wrong. I love the art style, but everything about the mechanics is just blech.
I wouldn't say that. It's more that it's disappointing because of how much they got right. Teleportation is great, not being able to go back for drops is a positive in my eyes and the boss patterns+blanks are really good. But there's a lot of tanky enemies, especially with how HP scales up so fast, and the guns/ammo situation is just so hosed.

By the way, this seems... unintentional.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

IronicDongz posted:

By the way, this seems... unintentional.

Just drop the wings on the floor temporarily (careful not to drop them in the hole), the rat didn't come for them when I did that.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
So what's the secret to getting into the hidden market? I walked into it the first time I saw without problem, and the next times it just hurt me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

thehoodie posted:

So what's the secret to getting into the hidden market? I walked into it the first time I saw without problem, and the next times it just hurt me.

You have to have at least one curse, or 100 casings on hand.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

IMPORTANT THING THAT IS A BIG HELP:

If you select two weapons using the gun menu (ctrl by default) then tapping that button will switch between them. The two weapons will be marked by a star. Weapons you aren't holding will reload on their own, so you can hold like an RPG or molotov launcher, chuck a shot into big groups of gundead and then swap to another gun to mop up while the single shot reloads. I love the molotov launcher.

Also second win in the bag.

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 13, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
wait hwat... i missed a part i think bro...

i need to star them to amke sure they reload by themself?? yes?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, all weapons reload on their own when not equipped.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

God, I'm so glad that this game rewards skill the way that it does. After I spend all of the first 3 floors sans bosses using only my starting pistol as the pilot, and perfect Treadnaut again, and take barely any damage throughout chamber 4(and use my bomb item to save ammo), I still end up in this situation:

I am out of ammo on goddamn everything except the worthless Plunger weapon which does like no damage here and puts poison all over the floor. It doesn't loving matter if I get extra heart containers from perfecting bosses if AMMO LITERALLY NEVER DROPS THE ENTIRE RUN

hey gungeon devs if you're gonna have a "coolness" based drop timer how about you put ammo drops on a separate timer from other drops, decreased by how much ammo you are missing*amount of weapons missing ammo. maybe then people could actually use their weapons without inevitably running out because even if you get a bunch of weapons the ammo they start with is not enough to complete the game

Wow, looks like the game's too hard for someone over here. Maybe you wouldn't have this problem if you just got good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah I guess I should use nothing but the slowass starting gun literally all the way up to the forge, huh. what a fun game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you were good, you wouldn't need to have fun!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Meanwhile on my last run I got Polaris on the first floor and never took it off and somehow never ran out of ammo, even going through bullet hell. The drop RNG in this game is really dumb sometimes.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
The lack of keys in this game is really unfortunate. I find that if I want to actually go to Oubliette I need to buy a key from the shopkeeper and basically avoid all chests. Then I have to kill the boss and hope that I get a decent gun or my run is essentially over at that point if I want to go to Oubliette.

This game reminds me of Isaac in a certain respect - in Isaac I got to the point where I'd just restart until I got a treasure room with something decent in it when I was trying to get all the achievements, just because of how tedious the first floor was without a damage enhance item.

Gungeon reminds me of this, but it's even more tedious. I actually really enjoy using the starter pistol throughout the level, it's the bosses that are irritating, just because of their enormous health and how long it takes to chip away that health with the starter gun. If I could actually get one or two guns on the first floor it would be much less tedious. Oh well.

I also appear to be way worse at this game than a lot of people. I made it to the forge area last night after around 30 deaths, then died to some sort of invincible hammer(s) that kept smacking down on me in a room with flaming walls and baddies that shot flames or something. Didn't get a good look since my health went down so fast.

Overall I'm enjoying this game but the lack of keys is killing the game for me.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Seriously though, just cheat for infinite keys. It's like someone who made the game was fretting that it would be too much fun, so they decided to make it 30% less fun by locking everything and limiting the keys so you have all these lovely runs where you don't get many items and you have to spend all your money on keys instead of actual nice things. Key management is boring and annoying, adds nothing of worth to the game and actively detracts from picking up all the fun things and having actual fun. Turn that stupid poo poo off and enjoy the game. The difference it makes is palpable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Dev did a small Q&A on the drop system. Here's the important bits.

Dev posted:

if you take damage from an enemy, that is not a boss, that SPECIFIC enemy will not drop money. that is the onlything to do with hit or not hit
when you clear a room, a counter goes up, which is the chance for a room clear drop. it makes out around 80%- and that number rolls when the room is clear. once you get a reward, that number floors back to 1%
Coolness is a stat that is increased y having specific items. it does 2 things. 1: it lowers the cooldown of active items, because you are so cool. 2: it increasxe the amount that the room clear reward INCREMENTS each room by 1
yes 1 coolness = 1% chance
yes ratchet
heres 2 more tips
1: if you have not aquired a new gun on a floor by the time you kill a boss, the boss is garaunteed to drop a GUN.
2: if you have not found a key on floor 1 by the time you reach a shop, there is guaranteed to be a key in the shop. a similar rule works for later floors
use these to min max

The coolness boost on flawless rooms is false

ammo drops are just a % chance
but they drop in rooms, shops and bosses

I think I've found the source of ammo problems. It's a flat % chance per room to drop alongside any other drops, regardless of coolness.