Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Preston stopped giving me quests to recruit more settlements after Tenpines bluff. How can I fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nasgate posted:

Telling a player to do a quest and have it be filled with multiple skull enemies, and a flying bot that can one shot you in power armor, and if you do kill it, it explodes like a mininuke. Is actually bad game design, not a challenge.

But thanks for the smug attitude without any contribution.

If you snipe the one that explodes from range he takes out a bunch of the others :ssh:

If you don't have a long-range weapon that you can one or two-shot at least one strong enemy with by Level 15 (powerful hunting rifle, three or four-crank laser musket, suppressed powerful bolt-action pipe rifle, etc) that's kind of on you, mang. The rest of the DLC is more of the same, except in smaller interiors usually with even more enemies.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

cheesetriangles posted:

Preston stopped giving me quests to recruit more settlements after Tenpines bluff. How can I fix this?

You don't. You thank that gods that he's leaving you alone. If he's given you the quest to take back the fort he may be waiting for you to do that before giving you another radiant quest.

If you really want to recruit more settlements though all you need to do is walk up to one, find the person in charge, and ask them what needs to be done. After that they'll join you.

Or you can just murder the gently caress out of the settlers that are already there and take the place for yourself - build another recruitment beacon and more will show up eventually.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
So if I was playing on Survival previously, I'm in the beta, and I boot up the game now, what happens? Am I crushed under the weight of a million zillion rockets and mini-nukes?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So if I was playing on Survival previously, I'm in the beta, and I boot up the game now, what happens? Am I crushed under the weight of a million zillion rockets and mini-nukes?

No, my save was automatically bumped down to Very Hard with a popup explaining the differences in the new Survival mode. You are then free to switch the game back to Survival if you want though your build may no longer be very optimal for it, you also miss out on all the salty tears of a fresh character having his rear end torn open by mole rats and bloodbugs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a mod to make new settlers go and do a job when they get in?

Seems silly that a wasteland survivor can't figure out that tending to the crops would be a good idea without Harley Quinn in power armor jetpacking over to them and pointing it out.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

cheesetriangles posted:

Looks like the Survival Beta patch that fixed supply lines broke Preston. If you're using that, it's a known issue.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
Ok goons, I need your help.

I bought this PC setup from a guildy.

quote:

Video card 1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (1024 RAM)

Video card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (1024 RAM)

Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLIFTW3

Processor: Intel Core i7 960

Memory: 16GB DDR3 (4x 4GB), PC3-12800K (800MHz)

My problem is 2 things:

-When I'm playing FO4, the entire load of the game is on GPU1. GPU2 sits stable at 0 load. Does FO4 support SLI?

-The other problem is GPU1 reaches 100C pretty easily. Even sitting around in Sanctuary, looking at the Workshop item screen, I watched it creep up from 51 to 94....doing nothing.

Is there something I can do about this? Like I said I'm a bit of a noob with this stuff, and the last thing I want to do is tweak something and gently caress my whole machine up.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

1) There's almost no proper working multicard for this game. AMD tried but I think they went back on that.
2) The Fermi series (Nvidia 400-500) runs really hot. I'd suggest turning the fan speed up.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

1) There's almost no proper working multicard for this game. AMD tried but I think they went back on that.
2) The Fermi series (Nvidia 400-500) runs really hot. I'd suggest turning the fan speed up.

Too bad on the 1.). I do see in NVIDIA control panel that I can enable SLI through that. I tried that...didn't seem to do anything!

On 2.), I'll google it, but given my ignorance, do you have a specific way you think is best to control the fan speed, and if so, are there upper limits to how fast I should set them?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

If you snipe the one that explodes from range he takes out a bunch of the others :ssh:

If you don't have a long-range weapon that you can one or two-shot at least one strong enemy with by Level 15 (powerful hunting rifle, three or four-crank laser musket, suppressed powerful bolt-action pipe rifle, etc) that's kind of on you, mang. The rest of the DLC is more of the same, except in smaller interiors usually with even more enemies.

I have all 4 of those and none insta kill him. I have no problem with the enemy comp itself, but that they tell you that you can do it when you are honestly too low level, more than likely even so on lower difficulties given how Bethesda handles that.

What I really need is a missile launcher for the 30 missiles I have. To D City I guess.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Oddity posted:

On 2.), I'll google it, but given my ignorance, do you have a specific way you think is best to control the fan speed, and if so, are there upper limits to how fast I should set them?
I use a program like MSI Afterburner to set the fan speed manually. The NV control panel might also have fan options but I don't remember them being as robust as Afterburner.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Oddity posted:

Too bad on the 1.). I do see in NVIDIA control panel that I can enable SLI through that. I tried that...didn't seem to do anything!

Whenever you update drivers it defaults back to single card, so you frequently have to reenable sli. Doesn't mean a game will support it though. There are various sli how to's with regard to FO4, but I don't know if they work with a poo poo, I'm stable at 60 with one card so I don't really care.

Generally the limit is set by what your ears can tolerate. If you wanted to run them at 100% constantly I don't think it's a problem.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm not really surprised, as I understand it the renderer is a custom in-house rewrite of the original Gamebryo tech they licensed way back when they developed Morrowind. Whoever is assigned the job of trying to hack together multi-GPU support onto that is being asked to do a job of Herculean proportions.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

FrankieGoes posted:

Generally the limit is set by what your ears can tolerate. If you wanted to run them at 100% constantly I don't think it's a problem.

So it's safe to say, bump the fan up 25% higher than what it is, load the game up, go into a busy area, check temps, and rinse/repeat until desired temp, all the way up to 100%, without risk? Sorry for the noobishness.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

To those of you playing in Survival:
How viable would it be to go high AGI and punch idiots to death?
I figure Blitz is required and enough STR to get the unarmed bonuses. Maybe power armor with servo gauntlets or whatever. Sell all the ammo I come across.
I'm playing a standard game right now as pure melee and it's far too easy.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
My original save some how got converted to survival. My dude has 22,000 pounds of stuff :stare: Well, I guess I have to go back to very hard. Then I can't go back to survival, though. It sucks because I was just before beating the game when the plot turns terminally retarded, but I did want to eventually finish it because I had like 4 days in that game and a big sweet town at sanctuary. I have another survival game going from the get go and a melee dude on regular, so I guess it's not a huge deal. Still sucks. I will either bite the bullet and change back to very hard and take the hit or I'll just ditch his 400 stimpacks or whatever. Fuckin crazy. If I could just use the console to teleport to Sanctuary :(

Also, I used a melee guy in survival before the new mode and it was pretty dangerous. If you can stealth around and teleport up to them with the high agi perk that lets you do that, you would probably be ok. I went low int for idiot savant and stealth melee. Teleporting up on motherfuckers and one shotting them with a machete is actually pretty cool. Never really used out of vats melee because I end up hitting dogmeat or Preston or whatever. I think it could be viable. Especially since unarmed weapons get the perk benefit from + unarmed damage perk and +melee weapon perk. So kill the super mutant that drops the sweet power fist, swan something, and then just own poo poo with that nonstop. I think that unarmed weapons get bonuses from both melee and unarmed damage perks, anyway.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Inzombiac posted:

To those of you playing in Survival:
How viable would it be to go high AGI and punch idiots to death?
I figure Blitz is required and enough STR to get the unarmed bonuses. Maybe power armor with servo gauntlets or whatever. Sell all the ammo I come across.
I'm playing a standard game right now as pure melee and it's far too easy.

Do it without power armor, just the unarmed weapons.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Oddity posted:

So it's safe to say, bump the fan up 25% higher than what it is, load the game up, go into a busy area, check temps, and rinse/repeat until desired temp, all the way up to 100%, without risk? Sorry for the noobishness.

I'd Never worry about running fans too high for too long. Fans are cheap and generally last forever, relatively. Also though, as has been mentioned, 4 and 5 series cards run hot. Unless you're getting artifacting I wouldn't worry that much about temps. But fan profiles are frequently petty tame just so people don't cry about noise so bumping things something like 25% across the board probably isn't a bad idea anyway.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Trying to recreate my RL house on Spectacle Island, it's a lot of work:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FrankieGoes posted:

Trying to recreate my RL house on Spectacle Island, it's a lot of work:

Do you live in a business park?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Or an elementary school?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It should be stone colored, but I'm trying to make do with concrete.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Nasgate posted:

considering FO3 doesn't even work in W8 or 10, it'd be hard to be less playable.

Not sure what you're on about, I have no problems with it on W10.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ModeSix posted:

Not only that but I played TTW for about 80 hours without a single crash.
Some people think that their experiences are the only possible outcome.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

FrankieGoes posted:

It should be stone colored, but I'm trying to make do with concrete.

Dude I loving love Downton Abbey

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a mod to make new settlers go and do a job when they get in?

Seems silly that a wasteland survivor can't figure out that tending to the crops would be a good idea without Harley Quinn in power armor jetpacking over to them and pointing it out.

They can, actually. If you have untended crops, newly arriving settlers will claim them. So you can drop down a bunch of food at an empty settlement and it'll be tended as people trickle in.

Rarely you'll have a settler show up with actual armor and a beefier weapon than the stock pipe pistol, and they will automatically staff empty guard posts.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So I've got a save from the Survival beta that I'd like to use with the release version but it asks me to download content to play it. Am I forever doomed to only be able to use that save on the Steam beta version of FO4?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Not only that but I played TTW for about 80 hours without a single crash.
Some people think that their experiences are the only possible outcome.

Someone somewhere in some thread on some forum quoted something someone said on some other forum or some news site and therefore it must be absolutely 100% correct, just like the fact that Fo4's problems are because of Gamebryo.

Right?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Epic High Five posted:

So I've got a save from the Survival beta that I'd like to use with the release version but it asks me to download content to play it. Am I forever doomed to only be able to use that save on the Steam beta version of FO4?

The survival mode isnt out of beta yet though?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Just spent an hour and a half building a sick rear end settlement only to crash to desktop the moment I place the last item and lost everything. I mean I'm to blame for not quicksaving but man that took the wind out of my sails.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

LumberingTroll posted:

The survival mode isnt out of beta yet though?

OH I thought it was part of the workshop, neeeeevermind haha

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can you self destruct robots with activated personalities? The thing won't shut up.

Or alternatively, can you shut off the personality?

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Can you self destruct robots with activated personalities? The thing won't shut up.

Or alternatively, can you shut off the personality?

I just want an entire settlement of robot pirates like the USS constitution robots.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ModeSix posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fallout+3+windows+10

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fallout+3+windows+8

When W10 first came out, the reason why it didn't work wasn't known, much easier to install TTWL, which also added better gameplay.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Ahhh I can't get him to leave my settlement!

E: he's dead! He's dead! You can kill them!

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 13, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Ahhh I can't get him to leave my settlement!

Do what histories greatest leaders have always done with pesky people they dislike.
Put him in the gladiator ring.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I guess I can't have a deathclaw companion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

cheesetriangles posted:

So I guess I can't have a deathclaw companion?

I promise you that, soon, not only will you be able to have a deathclaw companion, but you will also be able to have sex with said deathclaw companion.

• Locked thread