Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone tell me what the second number in a weapon physical attack is supposed to be? Is that the damage it inflicts on a follow up attack or something?

EDIT: Right after posting this I figured it out :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Robo Reagan posted:

So nobody is going to summon purple pals ever, right?

Fun fact! You're not a pal. Its a red sign soapstone basically, only NPCs attack you. Would not recommend.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Internet Kraken posted:

Can someone tell me what the second number in a weapon physical attack is supposed to be? Is that the damage it inflicts on a follow up attack or something?

That's the extra damage you're getting from scaling.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Aaaaand I just got eaten by a treasure chest.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought purple bros automatically got summoned to sessions that had multiple phantoms in them. Basically, a covenant built around interrupting an invasion or coop session for the purpose of sewing confusion.

If those summon signs are the only way to bring them in then nobody is gonna bother with them in about a week.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
gently caress, I didn't know that you get Solaire's bodyplate for giving Siegward's booze to the crow!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Purple bros can invade, as well.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The covenant switching on the fly is so sweet

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So there is a miracle that only requires 8 faith but the weakest talisman requires 10?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Blind Rasputin posted:

Go back and kill it, trust me :getin:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think i completely cleared the high wall of all items, whats the best melee weapon available there to put a few titanite into for the next few areas? Claymore probably right?

right now i'm just bopping poo poo with my +0 fire straight sword to middling results.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought purple bros automatically got summoned to sessions that had multiple phantoms in them. Basically, a covenant built around interrupting an invasion or coop session for the purpose of sewing confusion.

If those summon signs are the only way to bring them in then nobody is gonna bother with them in about a week.

Purple bros can get summoned through a white or red sign or invade. This is how all the covenants work basically, with the covenant sigil modifying the multiplayer interaction in some way.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Pontiff Sulyvahn is the first boss to really piss me off. In fact this area in general is pretty obnoxiously hard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Moldy Taxes posted:

I got summoned to one cursed tree fight where the host went in, started the fight, and... the "major battle has started" message never showed, and me and the other phantom weren't able to enter.

Black crystaled out of there before I had to see the host get pancaked on the fog wall.

Yeah, this happened to me, too. Me and the other phantom just did the Collapse gesture a couple times before I black crystaled.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Fuzz posted:

Where the hell does the Vinheim Sorceror guy go when you send him to Firelink? I must be blind, I've scoured the whole shrine and can't find him.

From the blacksmith, turn around so you're facing away from him. The sorcerer set up shop to the left of you, below the bridge, and has some candles and books around to signify his "spot".

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
raw weapon with the pyromancy fire buff and melee buff :vince:

went from struggling to do deacons of the deep with me 5 shotting fat clerics to two shotting them with overkill to spare. :stare: Now I just need the extra stats to wield a greatword and the real dark souls begins

Minera fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 13, 2016

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I just fought Curse Rotted Greatwood

Holy poo poo that fight

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Boy it sure feels weirdly nostalgic and pathetic to run into an enemy that schooled you in Dark Souls 1, then basically get your rear end kicked again.

...or rather, get hit once for 3/4 of my health bar leading me to run away in a blind panic. It even chased me to the other side of the map.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

uPen posted:

2.2 GB remaining, estimated 3 hours, 150+ MB/s download speeds. Stop being so useless psn.

Reset your modem and ps4. I went from 59 minutes to 12 minutes left

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What the gently caress is up with this woman in Road of Sacrifices with the huge axe/cleaver thing? Is she even killable early on without huge amounts of cheese?

I'd skip her but I really wanna know what she drops :(

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blind Rasputin posted:

If it's the first mimic, lure him out on the bridge and let the dragon roast him. :kingsley:

Thank you to the goon that mentioned the holding up or down on the d-pad. It's pretty fuckin sweet to be able to load up on items, and still switch to your flask right away.

I wasn't really into the weapon skills until I got a shield that let's you use them instead of a parry.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Minrad posted:

raw weapon with the pyromancy fire buff and melee buff :vince:

By the melee buff, do you mean Carthus Beacon? Is it actually any good? I hope so, because it sounds really fun.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm at the first main level high wall and I've found and beaten most of the secondary guys. I've found a lot of loot and talked to the thief and Emma. But the red caped knights loving ruin me no matter what. How do I fight things like that?

You have to learn timing. Roll looking for backstabs or other openings. You can parry them also. They are very difficult don't beat yourself up over it. Avoid them for now.

quote:

How in hell am I supposed to fight the Vordt of the Boreal valley too? It one hits me immediately and there's no room to dodge at all.

Two hand you weapons and focus on staying underneath him. His charges are his most dangerous move. He only has one smash that hits under him and nothing hits behind him. In other words:

Use sword but hole

I unlocked and just wailed on his rear end but I watched a friend do it earlier using lock-on. Save stamina for rolls.

quote:

Like, what am I supposed to be doing so this is fun. And why isn't there a bonfire near the main Vordt fight? Every time I die I have to walk my rear end back there through a bunch of fights?

Walk down to the floor with the knight and thief and you can drop down to the two thief level and walk right our the door. Run outside all roll and roll and run across the rooftop and down the ladder. Go to the left and fall onto the pavillion taking minor damage. Rush down the stairs past everything trying not to gently caress up and get hit and hit the fog wall. It takes about 2 minutes. I had to do it probably 20 times (my friend too) because he kept kicking my rear end.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

The mound makers covenant is a really cool idea with one major issue keeping it from working in practice: there's no reason for a purple phantom to help the host. In theory, purple phantoms are a mixed bag that can help the host or murder him, act as a white or red phantom, etc. However, the purple phantom gets covenant rewards only for killing the host or killing white/blue phantoms, and gets no benefit for killing regular enemies or even red or other purple phantoms. They also cannot enter fog gates, so they cannot help fight bosses (which would almost negate the purpose anyway since 90% of non-japanese players summon only for boss fights and not full area runs) or do the obvious-but-still-funny thing of killing the host just before they defeat the boss.

In practice it's just a different, albeit cooler, color to take on for invasions, with the added benefit that some players might summon you on their own because they don't know what a purple phantom is or don't realize that you aren't rewarded for doing anything but killing them.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

By the melee buff, do you mean Carthus Beacon? Is it actually any good? I hope so, because it sounds really fun.

I haven't independently tested the two, but my friend using an Uchi... +6? and a full dex build now does far less damage than I do with a raw, +4 astora sword. I just need to settle on a fun weapon to meet base stats for and I'm set. Might just go Zweihander, though a dex weapon would be more fun for the extra cast speed, assuming that's still 'a thing'

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The Shortest Path posted:

The crazy cannibal ladies in FROM games with the giant japanese kitchen knives have traditionally dropped their giant japanese kitchen knives.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Abyss watchers can suck my loving nuts. How do you guys even do this stuff

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Funkmaster General posted:

The mound makers covenant is a really cool idea with one major issue keeping it from working in practice: there's no reason for a purple phantom to help the host. In theory, purple phantoms are a mixed bag that can help the host or murder him, act as a white or red phantom, etc. However, the purple phantom gets covenant rewards only for killing the host or killing white/blue phantoms, and gets no benefit for killing regular enemies or even red or other purple phantoms. They also cannot enter fog gates, so they cannot help fight bosses (which would almost negate the purpose anyway since 90% of non-japanese players summon only for boss fights and not full area runs) or do the obvious-but-still-funny thing of killing the host just before they defeat the boss.

In practice it's just a different, albeit cooler, color to take on for invasions, with the added benefit that some players might summon you on their own because they don't know what a purple phantom is or don't realize that you aren't rewarded for doing anything but killing them.

I Believe the benefit to sign invading as a ABSOLUTE MADMAN is that at most itll be a 1v2, since you eat up a friendly phantom slot.

E: Also I got the BREAKDANCE SWORD and it is absolutely :pcgaming:

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 13, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Blind Rasputin posted:

Ok. I'm totally new to this series and so far having fun but getting frustrated. It takes forever and a hundred deaths to traverse a level. I'm also not understanding the scarcity of bonfires relative to my number of estus flasks. I'm getting better at fighting smart but Jesus poo poo this is hard.

I'm at the first main level high wall and I've found and beaten most of the secondary guys. I've found a lot of loot and talked to the thief and Emma. But the red caped knights loving ruin me no matter what. How do I fight things like that?

How in hell am I supposed to fight the Vordt of the Boreal valley too? It one hits me immediately and there's no room to dodge at all.

Like, what am I supposed to be doing so this is fun. And why isn't there a bonfire near the main Vordt fight? Every time I die I have to walk my rear end back there through a bunch of fights?

Buy the white soapstone from the vendor lady in the firelink shrine. Go outside that boss room and use it. Will let others summon you to help them, get practice this way you wont lose souls when you die.

Why oh why does coop not refill your potions again!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

man nurse posted:

You can detour to Cathedral if you want to pick up more souls. That place was a loving death trap for me as a caster, though. :v:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

since you can get an infinite use invasion item without having to go into any covenant at all, does being in a covenant just change the color of phantom you present when you do invade someone? i.e. if i am in pound mound and i use the REO do i invade purple? and likewise i drop purple summon signs with the white soapstone? can i invade golden with the jolly co-op covenant if i use the REO?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I can not make heads or tails of the cathedral. Where the hell am I even supposed to go once I kill the giants?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Killing phantoms and avoiding the host to keep luring more and more phantoms

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

homeless poster posted:

since you can get an infinite use invasion item without having to go into any covenant at all, does being in a covenant just change the color of phantom you present when you do invade someone? i.e. if i am in pound mound and i use the REO do i invade purple? and likewise i drop purple summon signs with the white soapstone? can i invade golden with the jolly co-op covenant if i use the REO?

invading as mound or sunbro turns your phantom red-purple or red-gold.

There isn't any way to redo your character customization is there? I foolishly neglected to give myself a moustache

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Found it pretty hard to progress past a certain point on the Lothric Wall (sp?). Found that the area where the dragon breathes fire on all those enemies is a good way to get souls cheaply.

It's not cheating if you found it out yourself!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Like it's not enough to have offscreen copies of the boss just gang rape you, then you have to deal with a second form where it's basically you better get loving lucky with your dodges because hell if you're blocking that poo poo.

Guys, I've hit The Wall. I'm feelin the dark souls rage

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I got invaded by a guy called "Watchdog of Farron" in the swamp, and I assumed he was an NPC. He used more than 2 estus so he had to be right?

But if he was an NPC, how the gently caress could he lag. A bunch of his animation had stuttering issues as if he was another player :psyduck:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

man nurse posted:

Two tips:

1) Every so often, a third watcher will appear that is hostile towards to others. Use this opportunity to fight the "real" watcher when the other is distracted.
2) The watcher(s) is/are humanoid. This means they can be parried and backstabbed, unlike most bosses. Use this to your advantage.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I Believe the benefit to sign invading as a ABSOLUTE MADMAN is that at most itll be a 1v2, since you eat up a friendly phantom slot.

This is a benefit to purple invaders trying to kill the host, not to ones who want to help them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

What the gently caress is up with this woman in Road of Sacrifices with the huge axe/cleaver thing? Is she even killable early on without huge amounts of cheese?

Just spam r1, she's pretty easily stunlocked.

I'm pretty sure reds count. I had an invasion earlier where I was tasked to kill the host or 3 phantoms, and my three phantoms were one white, one blue, and one red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Anyone got a thrall axe? Gotten three of the hoods so far yet the axe is a bloody myth, I'll trade ya a hood for it :v:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Crimor/