Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Why do people keep calling the king of the hill mode "clever" like it's never been done before? The same mode is in black ops 3 right now, "king of the hill but the hill moves sometimes" is not clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Geight posted:

Why do people keep calling the king of the hill mode "clever" like it's never been done before? The same mode is in black ops 3 right now, "king of the hill but the hill moves sometimes" is not clever.

I am not aware of any other game where it consistently moves across the entire level on a track. Uplink or hardpoint or whatever it is called now rotates among a set number of positions on each map, and you learn the best ways to defend and attack them. Some maps are terrible on certain game modes as a result. Having it just go through the whole level solves that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Geight posted:

The hill isn't just moving sometimes, it's moving all the time. That makes it a lot harder to plan static defense strategies, and favors the attackers since they know exactly where the hill is moving next.

In the beta, Warpath on Heatwave (the non-Hell map) was fun because the "hill"'s path was serpentine and wove back and forth along a bunch of straightaway, and even went vertical at times. The hill was almost always exposed to crossfire from a bunch of open hallways as it wove around the map.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

The hill isn't just moving sometimes, it's moving all the time. That makes it a lot harder to plan static defense strategies, and favors the attackers since they know exactly where the hill is moving next.

In the beta, Warpath on Heatwave (the non-Hell map) was fun because the "hill"'s path was serpentine and wove back and forth along a bunch of straightaway, and even went vertical at times. The hill was almost always exposed to crossfire from a bunch of open hallways as it wove around the map.

My buddy and I played warpath almost exclusively. It was so much goddamn fun as every time someone got the demon all hell broke loose and it was wonderfully chaotic. I ran the plasma rifle and the shotgun in that mode all the time and it was so much fun dropping the plasma AOE on the point and then wading in with my shotgun blasting people.

On weapons balance chat, i found the AR to actually be really good if midrange as you can just fire nonstop at someone and it hits harder per shot then the plasma rifle. If you are accurate the single shot rifle is probably better but it was pretty drat effective.

The game is definitely not going to be the next esports super serious game, but i just had so much goddamn fun blowing people up and crushing their heads with my bare hands, and then touchdowning on their corpse. I think i died probably 50 times while in mid hip thrust and i will not stop taunting every goddamn kill.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If you're having so much fun with the doom beta, you should definitely download Unreal Tournament. (its free!)

Warpath is pretty fun and there were aspects of the game I liked, but the things I didn't like, I really didn't like, and while they'll probably patch balance by release, I don't see them fundamentally changing the design of the MP. Its too simple and it'll get old insanely fast.

By the time they give up and admit the MP needs to be fixed, it'll probably be too late, like Halo 4/5.

Holding out hope that SP is fun and fast and the levels are exciting.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I am not aware of any other game where it consistently moves across the entire level on a track. Uplink or hardpoint or whatever it is called now rotates among a set number of positions on each map, and you learn the best ways to defend and attack them. Some maps are terrible on certain game modes as a result. Having it just go through the whole level solves that.

From the way you're describing it it just sounds like payload mode from TF2.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

khwarezm posted:

From the way you're describing it it just sounds like payload mode from TF2.

It is similiar in a way to payload but rather than going backwards and forwards it continues to move but will switch between teams depending on who is in control at the time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's payload of the hill.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wondering if i should just stream Hell Revealed 2 with the Aeons of Death diarrhea mod and just call it Retard 4 on hitbox

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

My overall impression of the multiplayer was "it's ok I guess" but warpath is actually really awesome and I hope other games crib it

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've already stolen it for my game :smugwizard:. I have no idea why "zone control but the zone moves" never entered into my head.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
I watched some of that dumb YouTube personalities plays Doom promo thing. When compared to the Beta videos, the sound effects in the Day of Doom video actually sounded good. Maybe they just gimped the sound effects or mixing or something for the Beta? Either way, I'm actually getting excited about this. I sit a reasonable distance away from my television because I'm not 10 years old anymore, so having a game released in 2016 that has easily identifiable power ups and a UI that isn't going to make my go blind trying to read (gently caress you, Battleborn) is fine by me. I might have even preordered it for the free hack modules, but Bethesda's marking department has kind of dropped the ball because we're a month from launch and I have no idea what a "hack module" is.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hellburger99 posted:

but Bethesda's marking department has kind of dropped the ball because we're a month from launch and I have no idea what a "hack module" is.

They're consumable timered bonuses that you can select to trigger when you respawn. Having a few to start with isn't a big deal, you get plenty during the normal course of play.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
For those of you who played the beta, how is the damage drop off on the shotguns? I'm only going to bother with singleplayer if I get this game. Judging by the singleplayer gameplay video that came out last year, the shotguns seems to have the same ridiculous damage drop off as the halo shotguns. It didnt even seem able to even scratch the paint of a car at distances above 5 metres.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GyverMac posted:

For those of you who played the beta, how is the damage drop off on the shotguns? I'm only going to bother with singleplayer if I get this game. Judging by the singleplayer gameplay video that came out last year, the shotguns seems to have the same ridiculous damage drop off as the halo shotguns. It didnt even seem able to even scratch the paint of a car at distances above 5 metres.

In the MP the shotgun was definitely a point-blank weapon and the damage would fall off to just tickling anybody very far at all, yeah. Hopefully SP is balanced different? :v:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

broken clock opsec posted:

They're consumable timered bonuses that you can select to trigger when you respawn. Having a few to start with isn't a big deal, you get plenty during the normal course of play.

lol How does this game even exist

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

elf help book posted:

lol How does this game even exist

It also has the single-player campaign and snapmaps hello mcfly

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

In the MP the shotgun was definitely a point-blank weapon and the damage would fall off to just tickling anybody very far at all, yeah. Hopefully SP is balanced different? :v:
that was also the Doom 3 shotgun, but for some reason the double barreled shotgun in that game was the longer range shotgun

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Why is the beta trying to download another 10 GB? Are there patch notes or something?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Why is the beta trying to download another 10 GB? Are there patch notes or something?

That's the toilet flushing :D

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm not gonna play the beta, I'll play the single-player first because that's how ya do it baby! There's an order to things, we need order. Plus the MP will probably get a patch or two by the time I beat the game.

I wonder what kind of progression situations will be in the campaign, we know of at least one yellow key from the Conan show gameplay. That yellow key represents freedom, unlocking the fun in our hearts.

(edit: Remember when I said I wouldn't play the beta? I LIED. (John Matrix, Commando 1985) How does one not click on a free steam game.)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 15, 2016

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Some new information about player progression: https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/doom-player-progression-and-customization/2016/04/14/105

Pretty much in line with CoD.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

fromsinkingsands posted:

Some new information about player progression: https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/doom-player-progression-and-customization/2016/04/14/105

Pretty much in line with CoD.

Its mostly just cosmetics which is fine, and some of those armor sets look pretty sweet.

You do unlock weapons and other demon runes though, which is stupid. This is loving doom you idiots, stop making it into COD. Why do so many AAA publishers think "lets make a game based on X IP because it was popular with people" and then somehow also think "lets completely change X IP to be more like COD because COD is popular". :v:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Because popular thing + other popular thing = SUPER POPULAR KILLER GAME EVERYONE WILL BUY TWICE

That's how it works right?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So anyhoo, just played a bunch of the beta, it's awesome. The super shotty / rocket launcher combo is much fun, great feel to the combat, the maps are terrific (love all the extra little paths and tunnels high above), looks great, runs great. I would marry it actually.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh snap, are the open beta servers live now?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Xenomrph posted:

Oh snap, are the open beta servers live now?

Oh yes, it's on! Nvidia released a hotfix driver thingy for this by the way, I installed it, plays nice. http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/doom-multiplayer-open-beta-driver

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Game's fun, Gauss-Cannon'ing bunched up enemies is fun, jump-kicking nerds in the face is fun, have a rabbit:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Aww, it's Daisy! Before she was brutally murdered by demons, setting up Doomguy for a rampage of revenge in Doom 2.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
wow this is really loving good I played it on the xbox one in the alpha and it felt super slow but with a mouse and keyboard it feels just like I';m playing quake 3 rocket arena or something again god I am thrilled so much for the sikngler player but the multiplayer doesnt' seem half bad either!

I just wish I could do normal deathmatch instead of TDM right now ... rear end holes

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

(edit: Remember when I said I wouldn't play the beta? I LIED. (John Matrix, Commando 1985) How does one not click on a free steam game.)

Somebody gave me a free copy of Klingon: Honor Guard and then like three weeks later 9/11 happened soooooo...

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Doom 4 is actually Retard 4, iD is a fraud, it's a poo poo CoD clone, it's slow, it's got loadouts and that's so not Doom ffs, etc, etc, ETC

oh it's actually awesome. I really need to stop reading Games.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Doom Multiplayer:

"Oh you're not using the shotgun or the rocket launcher? Then you're getting hosed by everyone who is."

Heavy Metal posted:

The super shotty / rocket launcher combo is much fun

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

Doom 4 is actually Retard 4, iD is a fraud, it's a poo poo CoD clone, it's slow, it's got loadouts and that's so not Doom ffs, etc, etc, ETC

oh it's actually awesome. I really need to stop reading Games.

Its really fun and good

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Are there lots of goons playing this on PC? We should get some parties going and pub stomp fools who don't understand how warpath works.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This game seems fun if you literally wanna just blindly mindlessly shootmans but for anything else gently caress no. Nobody better even think of taking it one ioata serious. The constant demon poo poo in tdm is annoying. I've never lost track of people as much as I have in this game.

I need to try the other mode. Played on PC btw.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

RBX posted:

This game seems fun if you literally wanna just blindly mindlessly shootmans but for anything else gently caress no. Nobody better even think of taking it one ioata serious. The constant demon poo poo in tdm is annoying. I've never lost track of people as much as I have in this game.

I need to try the other mode. Played on PC btw.

Warpath is a ton of fun since the capture area moves in a constant path along a track through the maps. means you can set up ambushes, and the fight stays fresh as its always in a slightly different place on the map.

It also means other guns are good. Both the plasma rifle and the lightning gun gain a lot of usefulness since players are clustered together more. Sustained AOE's like the plasma grenade and the lightning gun's secondary are useful as hell.

I ran plasma rifle /ssg all the time and it worked fantastic. I saw plenty of rocket launchers but i never felt they were horrendously overpowered. Their ROF is slow and their AOE is not all that great. If you land direct hits its devastating but my TTK on it and machine gun were not all that different.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The multiplayer in this game is solidly meh

It feels like some took a good decision at the beginning, making it an arena style FPS, and then hosed up every single consecutive decision

no mobility skills besides double jump
rocket launcher doesn't move you, just damages you
loadouts, emotes, microtransactions, season pass

eh whatever

koren
Sep 7, 2003

It's just a generic console fps game. Elements of halo, call of duty and bits from titanfall all chucked into a bland stew. I'd honestly rather just play one of those games because they do far more with their respective elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bear is driving! posted:

Doom Multiplayer:

"Oh you're not using the shotgun or the rocket launcher? Then you're getting hosed by everyone who is."

Yeah there is zero reason to not use the rocket /shotgun combo. They should really have dragged out unlocking those weapons if they wanted loadouts to be a thing.

Icept posted:

The multiplayer in this game is solidly meh

It feels like some took a good decision at the beginning, making it an arena style FPS, and then hosed up every single consecutive decision

no mobility skills besides double jump
rocket launcher doesn't move you, just damages you
loadouts, emotes, microtransactions, season pass

eh whatever

Exactly. Its not terrible, but its horribly mixed and bland.