Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

weekly font posted:

I can not make heads or tails of the cathedral. Where the hell am I even supposed to go once I kill the giants?

There's some stairs behind the swampy area of the second giant, going up, with all the black slimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Killing phantoms and avoiding the host to keep luring more and more phantoms

I always rush headlong at the bad man no matter what. Gotta go fast.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
At level 45, where should I be trolling for bluebro summons? I'm trying to avoid being overlevelled but I am just having no luck getting summons and I'm sitting on a massive stash of souls I'm hesitant to use because of it :(

Is that too high for Catacombs?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
So I got Orbeck of Vinheim a while ago to buy sorceries, and he was at firelink shrine a few times, and now he's just...gone.

Does anyone knows where he goes? I'm a sorcery based character and i kind of need him.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

There any trick to the bigass "I"VE GOT A 2 MAN SAW... BUT I'M A SINGLE MAN" lumberjack dudes in Undead town? Or just gotta take em slow?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

roll to the side and hit them a bunch.

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.
My biggest problem with the game right now is how long it takes to cast sorceries, the enemies are more aggressive and faster than previous games (save BB). The cast speed should be better across the board to account for that.

Also the damage that the spells do is completely disproportionate to the risk they have since we can't roll out of casting. If I'm risking getting dunked on every time I cast then they should do more damage than a couple r1s from my longsword.

Either less chance to get hit or more damage to make the risk of getting hit worth it. One of those 2 would improve sorcery significantly from what I've played.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Funkmaster General posted:

This is a benefit to purple invaders trying to kill the host, not to ones who want to help them.

Then yes, you have a fair point about not being able to help on bosses. Also summoning randomly on the map (so it seems, ive only sign invaded once) its bupkis.

somewhat related, I got dual scimitars and they punish the gently caress out of people who hide behind shields. I just cut them up through their shield until their stamina breaks, then I continue to flay them. Its loving awesome. Also the attack on it is about 270 degrees, which allows you to kill murder people behind you! Fun stuff

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 13, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something feels a little bit... off with the enemy design for me this time around. The tougher enemies feel like they were designed for Bloodborne and then slotted into Dark Souls without giving the player Bloodborne-level speed and mobility. So there are those enemies who have long, fast combos that can stunlock half your HP away and you can only really dodge the initial attack, stand back or backpedal and wait for them to finish, then spam R1 and hope they die before you have to dodge away again. Like, those crucified hollows in the Road of Sacrifices--those guys would be fun in Bloodborne, but in this they're just tiresome as hell.

It feels like we've landed somewhere between Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but the players are on the Dark Souls side of the line and the enemies are on the Bloodborne side of the line, and I'm not sure I'm having much fun with that.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Dandywalken posted:

There any trick to the bigass "I"VE GOT A 2 MAN SAW... BUT I'M A SINGLE MAN" lumberjack dudes in Undead town? Or just gotta take em slow?

keep in mind they have way more stamina (assuming enemies have stamina) than most other foes, so they will swing those loving saws like 6 or 7 times before running out of steam. the first time i fought one i counted three swings and then stepped in to stab him and boy did i learn a lesson! also, same thing with their crushing move, they will crush between 1 - 4 times before it's really "safe" to get too close to them.

has anyone else noticed that all of the bloodstain ghosts don't have any animations? like, they're all stuck in the default 3D poser T-shape (like jesus on a cross) and they just glide around the area willy nilly, and they don't have a death animation, they just disappear. this is happening across multiple zones now. at first i thought maybe one guy was a hacker, but i no longer see regular death ghosts from bloodstains and it's weird as hell.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dandywalken posted:

You mean when the two jump you at the same time? Work the distance so that they're both attacking at the same time and then just hit and run until you whittle one of them down. If you let them chain their attacks together in a tag-team way, you're hosed.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

Something feels a little bit... off with the enemy design for me this time around. The tougher enemies feel like they were designed for Bloodborne and then slotted into Dark Souls without giving the player Bloodborne-level speed and mobility. So there are those enemies who have long, fast combos that can stunlock half your HP away and you can only really dodge the initial attack, stand back or backpedal and wait for them to finish, then spam R1 and hope they die before you have to dodge away again. Like, those crucified hollows in the Road of Sacrifices--those guys would be fun in Bloodborne, but in this they're just tiresome as hell.

It feels like we've landed somewhere between Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but the players are on the Dark Souls side of the line and the enemies are on the Bloodborne side of the line, and I'm not sure I'm having much fun with that.

I keep trying to use the knife weapon art to mimic the sidestepping in bloodborne but without the sidestep follow up schwing I'm missing out

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

those guys are just like any other dark souls enemy. bait out an attack, then use the opening. bloodborne is just about getting up in their face.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

iudex gundyr and the big crystal lizard gave me a crash course in not playing ds3 like it's bloodborne

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
level 22, went back from cathedral to vordt to see if I could get some hits for summons. an hour and 20 embers later I realized that a shitload of people overlevel for the first stage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Homework Explainer posted:

iudex gundyr and the big crystal lizard gave me a crash course in not playing ds3 like it's bloodborne

Yeah I'm still very much in a Bloodborne mentality and have been burning through estus like an incinerator.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

goldjas posted:

So I got Orbeck of Vinheim a while ago to buy sorceries, and he was at firelink shrine a few times, and now he's just...gone.

Does anyone knows where he goes? I'm a sorcery based character and i kind of need him.

heard he fucks off if you don't bring him books like you promised you would, dunno when that happens though

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
First time I saw that uchigata guy, I hosed him up with fireballs but he got a lucky hit in and we killed eachother at the same time. Then on the way back to get my souls (hadn't spent any since killing that first boss), I got cornered by the joke easy hollow enemies and rolled off the side to my death. Shows how good I am at this game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Metoron posted:

My biggest problem with the game right now is how long it takes to cast sorceries, the enemies are more aggressive and faster than previous games (save BB). The cast speed should be better across the board to account for that.

Also the damage that the spells do is completely disproportionate to the risk they have since we can't roll out of casting. If I'm risking getting dunked on every time I cast then they should do more damage than a couple r1s from my longsword.

Either less chance to get hit or more damage to make the risk of getting hit worth it. One of those 2 would improve sorcery significantly from what I've played.

i use the bow and pretend the arrows are magic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ultrachrist posted:

First time I saw that uchigata guy, I hosed him up with fireballs but he got a lucky hit in and we killed eachother at the same time. Then on the way back to get my souls (hadn't spent any since killing that first boss), I got cornered by the joke easy hollow enemies and rolled off the side to my death. Shows how good I am at this game.

I can't remember the first time I read it, and I know it's probably been said a million times before and since, but the line,"Dark Souls: The Real Enemy is Hubris" is so, so accurate :allears:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

If I've never played Dark Souls but I really like Bloodborne, will I like this?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Homework Explainer posted:

Iudex Gundyr was really easy for me both times I've fought him so far precisely because I just stayed right in his face and slashed the poo poo out of him. I'm finding the bosses a lot easier than the levels right now, overall, though I have a feeling that'll end once the badass-dudes-with-badass-swords bosses begin.

Captain Queernabs
Dec 25, 2005

Fig. 1: bonehorse
Pillbug

ultrachrist posted:

Hell yeah, pardner; welcome to the rodeo.

:darksouls:

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Anal Surgery's Trip To Undead Settlement!

Night 1: gently caress, lot of hard poo poo. I'll just sprint past these dudes and this fat lady and, say, a bonfire by a cemetery where everyone is getting shot with giant arrows. Sprint sprint sprint, now I'm seeing that Tree everyone is talking about. Time for sleep, I think I'm not supposed to fight it yet.Huh, what a short, linear area!

Night 2: Oh, I never went to the right after the first hanging body house.

:stare:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GIANT ENEMY CRAB :stare:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm in the swamp/Cathedral of the Deep already and I'm STILL using my placeholder Fire Longsword +3 for lack of a better weapon that's really made me want to bother with it. :smith:

Where's my Baldur's Straight Sword or something similar, dammit? Or what about a Claymore? May just have to roll Scythe, DS1 style!

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I've had no hits on Farron's or the Blue Sentinels all day. Am I the only one? Maybe level 42 with +4 as my highest-level weapon is putting me at a weird spot in the curve?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

lets hang out posted:

heard he fucks off if you don't bring him books like you promised you would, dunno when that happens though

Can I get him back? I kind of really need him, unless there's a different way to get sorceries.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tequila Sunrise posted:

If I've never played Dark Souls but I really like Bloodborne, will I like this?

its 90% the same thing so yeah.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I gave the merchant lady the paladin ash, is the new item the big hat logan hat? does it do anything special like the key or is it just a hat

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If you're having trouble with the leeches in Cathedral, Equipping the torch instantly cures you of the status effect

Just discovered this and its awesome.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Miracle NPC: I hear if you give her the dark miracle tomes, something bad happens later. Is there another NPC that takes dark miracle tomes anywhere?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Walrus posted:

I gave the merchant lady the paladin ash, is the new item the big hat logan hat? does it do anything special like the key or is it just a hat

Nah she just has some new inventory items, the hat is because you killed the boss. Its just a hat, but it looks pimp. I'm wearing it right now :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

I'm in the swamp/Cathedral of the Deep already and I'm STILL using my placeholder Fire Longsword +3 for lack of a better weapon that's really made me want to bother with it. :smith:

Where's my Baldur's Straight Sword or something similar, dammit? Or what about a Claymore? May just have to roll Scythe, DS1 style!

claymore is where the dragon breathes fire in high wall. its like the 3rd weapon available to you in the game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Space Hamlet posted:

I've had no hits on Farron's or the Blue Sentinels all day. Am I the only one? Maybe level 42 with +4 as my highest-level weapon is putting me at a weird spot in the curve?

Those have been boned boned boned boned boned since the Japanese release. You see them coming when you're hosting/invading but you can spend hours waiting with the same soul-level and weapon level as the ones who get auto-summoned in and get nothing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

goldjas posted:

You had to make him a promise that you'd bring him new spells. If you kill too many bosses without fulfilling your promise, I think he's permanently gone.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
so how exactly does yoel's hollowing mechanic thing work? Haven't seen a clear explanation, plus it seems like it would REALLY hurt your early game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Alabaster White posted:

Miracle NPC: I hear if you give her the dark miracle tomes, something bad happens later. Is there another NPC that takes dark miracle tomes anywhere?

Yes, later on in the game, but not too late.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I managed to get HELLO and I'M SORRY carvings so this game's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I needed some magic resistance for the Crystal Sage and the combo amused me. Incidentally, gently caress phase 2 Crystal Sage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 13, 2016