Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I am reading this thread but I have nothing to contribute so I don't post. (But it's a great thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm still reading! There just wasn't all that much for me to comment on in this particular update, I'm bad at that in general. Don't be disheartened, LP is full of lurkers.

You're not supposed to tell them about the lurkers! Otherwise we'd all be wearing giant neon glitzy signs that said "Hey, I'm a lurker! Just lurkin' about!"

But, all seriousness, I've wholeheartedly enjoyed the lp thus far, even the banter in the comments, and I feel like we're as patient as can be, three-year-update ratio notwithstanding.

Keep it up, chokes!

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I *love* the dialogs between the characters that you write, Chokes. I'd buy this game, but it wouldn't have these delightful personalities, and then I'd be sad. Instead, I will continue to read your LP, and encourage you to keep going, because this thread is great.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Chiming in like the rest to say I'm reading and greatly enjoying the updates, but yeah lurking.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
Still reading, and seriously considering acquiring this game. Looks hella neat.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Tch, it's not like I'm reading this thread or anything. :rolleyes:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I READ I LURK I READ AGAIN!

Doesn't seem like a game for me either but your character interpretations are always gold.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I found the thread only recently thanks to your other current LP, which is also why I'm hilariously late in making the connection to The Proving Grounds of Bernie Wrightson, which was also really great.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Another lurker here, still onboard and enjoying.

Just curious, another LPer recently mentioned this as a game with similarities to Grimrock and others of that genre. Any chance of a brief clip or gif to see it in motion?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Geomancing posted:

Also reading, and enjoying! I think this is about as far as I got in my playthrough; I ran into difficulties against upcoming bosses and was nowhere near as lucky as you with drops.

I don't think I got much further than this either, although in my case it was mostly because I'd started running into enough bugs that I couldn't always tell whether I was stuck somewhere because of an error on my part or the game's, and it was making the game frustrating to play.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Got the game because of this thread, and I've been enjoying it so far.

Then I made the mistake of playing on 1980s mode...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Reading and eagerly awaiting the next update! Your character banter adds so much to the game.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
I'm roughly this far mainly using a Werewolf/Skeleton/Cultist, which while not showy is about as much of an 'entropy' playstyle as can be imagined. Loads of gradual chip damage while almost never taking HP damage myself.

Game is fun, though, anyone reading who doesn't have it owes themselves the pleasure given how cheap it is.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Add me as another reading but lurking goon. I'm enjoying the Lp, just don't have anything to add.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
This is a good LP despite the lack of Sternn.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

I'm still lurking reading, Chokes. Other people usually say what I'm thinking anyway, so I rarely feel a need to add anything. Making the ghost David Bowie was unexpected and brilliant though.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
I tend to forget that SA exists for a week or two, then slap myself when I remember that 'Oh yeah, I was reading some cool LPs. I should check up on those.' So... Not lurking, just forgetful as all hell.

I'll throw in that I also enjoy your depictions of the characters and that their interactions are pretty swish. To prove that I'm paying attention, I'll point out that there is a missing word.

quote:

This looks like something ??? could use!
;p

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Update drops tomorrow! We don't get hype, we stay hype. :colbert:

Also those are all excellent points about the updates needing editing, but have you considered QUICK LOOK OVER THERE -> :catdrugs:

*sneaks out*

FridayNightFights
Feb 17, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

So uh is there anyone out there still reading other than mauman? I get the feeling my absence due to work has killed the thread :(

I've been reading since half-way through the first SaGa thread but like mamma used to say, "If you don't have anything that actually contributes, keep your mouth shut."

These threads have brought me some laughs during some dark times and with the FF7 thread having wrapped up, is the main thing I check my bookmarks for.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm always reading, just not always replying.

It's a good LP.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto III, Stanza 3: Behind the Red White Brass Door

Hey, boss. I'm takin' the rest of today off.

Wait, we get time off?

Nope.

See ya.

:mad:

Ooh, look who it is! Come to to join the party, love?

Ziggy? When did you get summoned?

You'd know if you hadn't pussied out in the catacombs.

Well, you could've just told me! Why doesn't anybody just tell me?

It's funnier that way!

So, door. We meet again.

Well met. You win this round, my wooden adversary.

What's this stuff in the keyhole?

I dunno. WD-40, maybe?

You know what they say about the Sorceror's Toolbox. If it doesn't stick and should, blow it up. If it sticks and shouldn't...

Use WD-40?

...blow it up.

Should've seen that coming.

Doooooooooooor :argh:

Man, there's a ton of these things.

Any ideas, Zig?

Why would I know anything about it?

You've had plenty of experience with rainbows!

...where do I even begin with this?

Let's start with the fact that rainbows don't have black and white.

Uh, no poo poo? That's why you have to bend the light through a prism first. :rolleyes:

Do you think we should—

It won't do any good. Let it go.

poo poo. They've started changing classes already?

This is why you have to snuff them early.

Seriously. Gotta kill the kids before they grow up and come after you.

Infanticide? Wow, that's a new low, even for you.

Why the hell would I use infanticide? Do I look like a loving farmer to you?

poo poo is getting serious now. We've already seen the Level 10 Wizard; here, he's bringing a friend. The Level 12 Warrior actually isn't a difficult fight—in fact, Fighters are worse because of Double Swing—but I doubt we'll be seeing them as single encounters on later floors. Nevertheless, we employ the usual strategies...

...that's not good.

No, no it is not.

With the fighter debuffed, we can turn our attention to the hey isn't that a special attack animation

uh :stare:

oh god no

...that's not good.

No, no it is not

Turns out Lvl 10 Wizards can cast Flare. You know, just a big gently caress-off death spell from Final Fantasy, no big whoop. Our usual party members can hide behind their ridiculous armor (somewhat), but Ziggy has to take the full brunt. Yikes.

Vlad makes them pay for it, though.

My hero~

:shobon:

And with that out of the way, we can—

:sax:

:hist101:

Mother of Artemis

Oh right, that. For this part of the game, Darksteel weapons are broken. After casting Knight's March? 84 damage and -22 armor. Is it the horns? It must be the horns.

The rest of the fight is punching through the warrior's ridiculous armor as he alternates between missing (due to blind/debuffs) and doing laughable damage. Willow slowly undoes the Flare damage via Quick Heal, which I don't think I've talked about. It's a 1 Energy always-available skill which heals at around half normal rate. However! It's basically free to cast if you're already at full energy, and at skill level 2 with Willow's magic rating, we're restoring 40-56 HP back per cast. Vlad also gets Quick Heal, but it's not nearly as impressive. His primary skills use Vampire Blood as a base stat, so his regular magic rating is ehnnnnnnn.

Since this fight's pretty much on lockdown, let's try out some new combos!

Give me your hands, honey :unsmigghh:

Hey. Hey, guys.

?

Wanna see something cool?

Don't I always? :iamafag:

It burns with the unholy wrath of Satan's fire

loving hell! What did you put in that stuff?

Ghost pepper.

Ghost pepper?

Yup.

...I really like spicy food...

Oh. Well, I can hook you up with some organic—

I feeeeeeeeeeeeed

Still creepy, Vlad.

Ow ow that was way spicier than I expected, my fangs are burning, help

Lowering Arcane Resistence plus arcane-based DoT damage adds up to hilarity! Also, that damage above is Vlad straight draining a pint out of this meatshield without bonuses. With Level 3 Drain Life and a ton of Vampire Blood, it does a big ol' hunk of damage and can actually overcome weakened armor. This guy has a ton of HP, though. Eventually, I get bored of the fancy stuff and start wailing on him until he keels over. :geno: I'm pretty sure we have to do at least 950+ HP to bring him down. It's pretty ridiculous.

:words: As you flip through it, your eyes catch a particular passage.

Hmm. "Some shapeshifters have a proclivity to taking on the form of mammals, as opposed to other creatures well enough for the same goals."

Why would the Spirit turn into a mouse?

Or a pretty woman?

If she can shapeshift into any mammal, I bet she can turn into models. Or centerfolds! It'd be like having sex with every woman, ever!

I can hazard a few guesses on the latter.

If you haven't guessed already, it's Optional Fetch Quest time. Fortunately, Paper Sorceror isn't obnoxious about it. All the rooms are on the same floor, and it's blindingly obvious which keys go in which places.

Sweet.

And where there's musty smells, there's forbidden arcane knowledge.

I don't think that's how that works.

Welp never mind!

Let's see what else we got here...

Okay. I've got a plan.

Right! We go find the red door and use it on that.

What? No, don't be stupid.

We... don't have a black key.

That's just what they want you to think.

See? They know it's obvious, so you do the opposite of what they expect.

Oh. Well, let's try the red one, th—

No

If you're particularly dense here, you can gently caress up bad enough to end the fetch quest before you can complete it. Fortunately, we physically restrain our loveable(?) dumbass from dissolving any more keys and get on with it.

Too bad someone got rid of the white key, or we'd be able to get in.

Oh, shut up.

God dammit, Frank

Wasn't him.

This time.

Surprise, it's an ambush fight! This room is guarded by an air spirit. Although, after getting a Flare dropped on our heads earlier, we should be able to hahahahaha nooooope

:psyboom:

This is an optional fight, and you know how those go. We dump every debuff in our arsenal, then Vlad and Willow spend the next round patching everyone up. The Air Spirit's strikes are crap, at least, but we want to be sure we're in fighting shape before he gets enough energy back to cast Gale Cutter again.

To counteract, we use Dirge of Weakness, then turn the Sorceror loose.

:magical:

Also there's this!

With the spirit's armor shredded, Blood Sword lets Vlad hit hard and get HP back—and for only 2 Energy! This is how the Vampire was intended to work. If an emergency hits, you sac HP to keep your party going, then get all that HP back and do a shitload of damage on the next turn. Like I said earlier, the Vampire is a lousy primary healer, but he's fantastic as a backup.

At any rate, after a couple of darksteel sword bonks and a Drain Life, we can continue on our merry way. We'll fast forward through the next few rooms, as nothing interesting happens except for...

Hey, that's perfect for me! A little more durability, some extra healing for you guys, and—

Whew! Good thing I found that, I definitely needed it.

:smith:

...and eventually...

:woop:

Great, now Werdna's just throwing his poo poo all over the dungeon.

Some people have no respect for the profession.

Who the gently caress even keeps one of these? What would you do with it?

And why would the guards leave it on a table?

Men are filthy pigs. The faster you learn that, the better.

What?

That's it? All that walking and fighting for a couple of alloy weapons and some scrolls?

Yeah, well. The least you could've done is give us the scrolls you didn't need.

Why would I do that? I'm the only person in the party who can Read Magic.

They're written in Common.

It's magical Common!

You're not fooling anyone.

Well, they're consumed on use, so I guess we'll never know.

One step closer to being done with this. The faster we break those bindings, the faster I can ditch you idiots.

What?

I said, "the faster we can get out of here."

No you didn't.

Well, you don't have a recording device, so I guess we'll never know.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

And with that out of the way, we can—

:sax:

I can imagine the ghost doing this the entire time during the fight.:sax:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I picked this game up again, got to the final cell block and promptly put it back down.

holy poo poo.

It really says something that I look forward to boss fights more than the random encounters.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I picked this game up again, got to the final cell block and promptly put it back down.

holy poo poo.

It really says something that I look forward to boss fights more than the random encounters.

Yeah that was what caused me to put this game down when i first played. My team wasn't very well optimized in retrospect, with the vampire being my only healer, but I was having to run back to to my room and heal/resurrect every couple of fights, which pretty well sucks. I started playing it again recently and am really confused as to how I made it that far in the first place now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I suppose it is in keeping with the spirit of the game to permanently destroy keys that aren't strictly needed for progression.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Recently picked this game up again cause of this LP. I had forgotten how brutal the fights can be in general. Hell, outside of I think the first few bosses, some tend to be somewhat easy in comparison to the normal fights. Probably doesn't help that my team isn't exactly optimized either. On that note.. Does the succubus ever.. Not suck? I'm starting to wonder if something is bugged or something, since she does like next to no damage melee wise, but on the flipside, she seems to be completely immune to physical damage. My tactic for the first few fights was simply to drop bait on her and let everything futilely wiggle their weapons at them until they died from something else.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What's your party? Which cellblock are you on?
In a nutshell, most of the time you're better off debuffing/immobilizing all enemies and then grinding them down one-by-one. Sleep and Paralysis are actually very effective in random encounters. Blind, not as much, but you have far more skills that can cause it so throw it on.
This game doesn't really -do- AoE attacks. Yeah they're there but the defense systems means that the damage will always be underwhelming.

And incidentally that's why a later "choice of abilities" has only one right answer.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 12, 2016

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Glazius posted:

Huh. I suppose it is in keeping with the spirit of the game to permanently destroy keys that aren't strictly needed for progression.

Eh, you see that coming tbh and you can always save scum if its that big of a deal

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

DeliciousCookie posted:

Recently picked this game up again cause of this LP. I had forgotten how brutal the fights can be in general. Hell, outside of I think the first few bosses, some tend to be somewhat easy in comparison to the normal fights. Probably doesn't help that my team isn't exactly optimized either. On that note.. Does the succubus ever.. Not suck? I'm starting to wonder if something is bugged or something, since she does like next to no damage melee wise, but on the flipside, she seems to be completely immune to physical damage. My tactic for the first few fights was simply to drop bait on her and let everything futilely wiggle their weapons at them until they died from something else.

The Succubus, like the imp (who she is based off of) will NEVER do any decent damage. She can't use weapons, and like the imp, her magical attacks are so-so. Physically attacking with her is literally a waste of time. This has the "nice" added effect of making her basic skill borderline useless. While the the imp has a 1 energy fire attack, the Succubus' basic skill is a 2 energy physical attack that might stun a single target. It's pretty bad. She somewhat makes up for this with some added healing magic (which is rather nice actually considering she can still be useful if she's on the sidelines).

She (and the imp) are the only classes that still have the super physical immunity though which is nice (once upon the time the ghost and shadow had it too, but that was deemed WAY to strong).

The point of the Succubus is to use status effects and support magic.

Now someone who has the GoG version is going to have to fill in here, because I honestly don't know the next part.

The imp has sleep. The only way to get the succubus in the the steam version is to hack the succubus in using the imp, so the succubus in the steam version starts with sleep. If she doesn't have sleep then yes, she's useless. If she does start with sleep, then like the imp, she has the best early CC in the game.

Just a note, other classes start getting enemy-all CC later on. This makes the imp/succubus a rather dubious pick in my opinion. Though having a sleep using class early on in your reserves for tougher fights wouldn't be a bad idea.

SSNeoman posted:

And incidentally that's why a later "choice of abilities" has only one right answer.

I have a feeling that you and I agree 100%.

mauman fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 12, 2016

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
I see, I was starting to question if my game was busted or something due to how little damage she did consistently and frankly how nearly broken her defense was. That said, she does start with sleep, which is, as you said amazing early game and a life saver. Though with her immunity to physical attacks, you can simply toss bait on her and have virtually the same effect early game. And as you said, later in the game theres just far better options than putting enemies to sleep.

On the subject of debuffs and status effects, my run must be cursed. Bait/Challenge seems to be largely ignored and everything else refuses to stick, and when it does like in the case of blind, it just straight up does nothing. Had a boss fight where no matter what I did, the boss continually pounded on my sorcerer despite being blinded and baited with another char. Guy was really determined to put my Sorc in the ground.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Yeah, blind and challenge are somewhat RNG dependant. I've had better luck with challenge than blind though (I do play on harder difficulties which probably affects this).

Good to know about the Succubus. Even though I have to hack her in to use her I would have her as close to correct as possible. Course if she didn't have sleep I would never use her. She (and by extension the imp) wouldn't be a good character to pick if she didn't have it.

Randomly looking on the GoG forums I just learned something interesting. I always hated Scorch due to the fact that it doesn't seem to proc that often, and now I know why. Scorch's success rate is based on STRENGTH and not magic :psyduck:

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 13, 2016

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Seeing as we're talking about the Imp:

The Imp owns. He is MVP of my 1980s run right now, that AoE sleep is the difference between "get beaten down horribly" and "spend 15 minutes grinding down these random mobs".

He...unfortunately doesn't get that much else good to be honest. But I have seen him actually heal from getting stabbed by physical attacks, so there's that.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
I've been replaying on Easy mode and holy hell I caught up! But, uh, guess who didn't save scum for the doors and totally forgot about the warning when it came to the colours?

Yeah.

That said, drat my drops have been super lucky. I've gotten some top-end equipment and my vampire is like a wrecking ball. I point him at an opponent and bam, they're just a fine bloody paste on the ground within a turn or two. The highest output I've seen from him was with a Strength+2 on him and a Fragility-2 on the enemy (a Level 10 Man at Arms?). He hit that sucker for almost 300 HP damage (poor guy's defence was tatters after that attack). OHKO. I've been tearing through the bosses with a team of Sorceress, Ghost, Vampire and Skeleton. I'm underwhelmed by Skelly, but he has some useful skills. I should really sub in the Troll since I found him a baller weapon. I might just do that.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Seeing as we're talking about the Imp:

The Imp owns. He is MVP of my 1980s run right now, that AoE sleep is the difference between "get beaten down horribly" and "spend 15 minutes grinding down these random mobs".

He...unfortunately doesn't get that much else good to be honest. But I have seen him actually heal from getting stabbed by physical attacks, so there's that.

He's amazing.....up until your other guys get skills that can take over his job.

Then he sucks. But he'll be great until then at least :downs:

Also, I can't help but feel that the Skeleton is just a weak Frank.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mauman posted:

He's amazing.....up until your other guys get skills that can take over his job.

Then he sucks. But he'll be great until then at least :downs:

Also, I can't help but feel that the Skeleton is just a weak Frank.

Skeleton's stronger, has better general attack abilities, has passive regen, some physical resistance, better taunt abilities and a marginally better weapon. He doesn't have the Abomination's good anti-magic abilities, but I find him way better tbh since the scariest enemies are physical attackers not magical ones.

Both are good picks though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto III, Verse 4: Use Your Illusions I & II

Alright, everybody, stay sharp. There's no telling what this Myles douchebag can do.

Pot, kettle, et cetera.

Oh, look who's decided to join us! Did we enjoy our day off?

I did. Dunno about yours.

:mad:

:smuggo:

Wow, I hate this guy already.

:shivdurf: Two creatures materialize next to him.

What.

You don't get to do that! Summoning monsters is my thing!

Isn't that copryight infringement?

Told you we should've patented that poo poo. I could've done the paperwork for you.

:rant:

Just sayin'.

Here's boss fight #2! Let's all welcome Myles the Illusionist and his amazing floating corkscrews!

Myles, of course, has a gimmick.

:psypop:

Problem? :troll:

His specialty is status ailments. Did you guess we're going to hate this fight? We're going to hate this fight.

I'm blind! I can't see my hand in front of my face!

Get your hand out of my face

Everyone calm down! I have an idea.

Had to happen eventually.

Shut up, Frank. Myles is an illusionist with summons. Right? That means... his summons are illusions.

Brilliant deduction.

I know, right? I'm not just a pretty face.

Myles... I know your fighters are fake. They can't hurt us. I disbelieve your illusions!

OW WHAT THE gently caress THEY'RE NOT EVEN REAL

:smuggo:

Despite their names, the Deadly Illusions are most definitely corporeal and also hit for a ton. They'll be doing the heavy lifting while Myles rains down various status ailments on us. The good(?) news is that, without Myles, we're just facing two particularly powerful but relatively straightforward fighters. Thus, we want to home in on Captain Smug and put him down ASAP.

As this is our original starting party, we'll be employing our normal boss fightin' strategy....

...buff defense...

...stick DoTs...

...and get to work. Before you ask, Arcane Backlash doesn't seem to do much to him. Even with high armor, you can usually wreck a target's poo poo if they have a high magic rating, so I'm not sure what's going on here. Maybe it's all a trick and those are actually two thugs in some linen wrap. Who can say?

Anyway, Myles has a hell of a lot more tricks up his sleeve than just Blind III.

Aw crap.

bzztfd glk ghhrrk

poo poo. Willow's the only one that can undo status changes! Do not let her die!

On it, boss

And as for you...

...this is gonna be the last bad decision you ever make.

:supaburn:

One of the many reason this party's incredible is that everyone can heal. I hadn't mentioned this yet, but two of the skills Frank has picked up is Gift of Life (a basic healing spell) and Restore Defense. Yes, that Restore Defense. It's not nearly as impressive as the Witch's, but we'll take +15 Defense—especially if our designated wiccan is temporarily out of commission. Once Willow's shored up enough she can survive a couple of hits, we dose her with one of our Recovery Potions to get rid of Paralysis. Good as new! Ish.

(Speaking of which, I don't know if it's a trick of the RNG or the boss AI actually functioning like it's doing more than mashing random buttons, but everyone homes in on Willow for this fight. She spends a lot of time at 25HP and below.)

Meanwhile, the Sorceror is zapping Myles with Scorch. It's a fire-based DoT that actually does a pretty hefty chunk of damage. It also massively lowers Agility, apparently. I think this is a bug, as Frost Fall is supposed to be the debuff spell. But who cares, I'll take a combo debuff/DoT/damage spell any day of the week! And it stacks with other kinds of DoT, too! You can have Poison, Arcane Burn, and Fire going on any one opponent for whole bunches of damage every round. I don't know if there's other DoT types, but if there are, you can toss them on, too! It's a regular DoT party! :peanut:

Step back, imma clobber him.

Oh, will you now? :smuggo:

Okay, now I really hate this guy.

Seriously. How do you stay that irritating while you're on fire two different ways?

It's actually kinda admirable.

The sole skill that the Deadly Illusions has is Illusion Shield. It grants one teammate Shield status, which works like Final Fantasy's Blink; it'll protect you from one hit of any kind, after which it dissapates. Believe it or not, we also have someone on our side who can cast it: Vlad. Seriously. His Soul Shield ability can be used to grant anyone Shield status. We shy away from it for the most part, though, because it's 4 Energy and a turn he could be using on Inhuman Strike or Drain Life. It's not a bad plan to use it on non-armored summons to keep them from getting ground up into little pieces, but at 4 Energy and a 3-4 turn cooldown, we won't be able to keep up in big fights like this.

The Sorceror also has a Shield skill but, of course, it can only be cast on him. The characterization is consistent, you have to give them that.

*staggers back to feet*

You good?

Y...yeah...

Great. Now get back to work because we are literally dying here

:thurman:

We're back at full HP and Defense!

I can feel my toes again!

It's like everything Myles has accomplished in this fight and also life is utterly without worth!

(Sealing Strike is only at Level 1 here. It's useless in this fight.)

And his armor's broken now!

Wow, that's rough.

Yup. drat shame.

Welp, see ya.

I want to point out these are the first two hits we've gotten through Myles' armor (and his buddies' constant Shield casts). The DoTs we had stacked on him this entire time did that much damage. Like I said waaaay back during the Knight fight, there is absolutely nothing wrong with stacking DoTs on a boss and then turtling afterwards. It's not only perfectly viable but a pretty common strategy across all party types.

Of course, killing Myles does not auto-kill his summons. Fortunately, without his constant batshit ailment spamming, the rest of this is just cleanup. Willow and the Sorceror stick all their DoTs, Frank hits them with Bone Breaker, and Vlad alternates between striking and Inhuman Strike.

It's not all smooth going...

oh dear Hera not again

:catstare:

...but, that just inspires us to finish the fight quicker.

Seen here.

Hell of a loot drop for the work we put in, too!

Honestly, Myles isn't that difficult if you can survive the initial onslaught and focus on him first. You'd think you'd want to take out his illusions to reduce the damage you're taking, but the status ailments are much worse. Howling Thunder is bad. It's a massive amount of magical damage with a 100% chance of paralyze thrown in, and if he sticks it on your healer, you are going to have to drop everything you're doing and immediately shift into damage control. You can just soldier through Blind III since it's (ironically) not as bad as in other games, but Paralyze is absolute murder. You cannot have an ally just sitting around during a boss fight. It's real, real bad.

...horns this awesome could beat you? Don't worry, I get that all the time.

:shepface:

Ssh! Ssh. Easy now. Don't talk. There's something you need to hear before you die.

You're going to the Reaper's Catacombs now, with the rest of the whiny hypocrites we've murdered around here. When you get there, I want you to deliver a message for me. Just in case we're down there later. Just in case they're feeling salty.

You tell them this: Nobody fucks with my summons.

Rest in piss, you smug prick.

Glrk...

Hey, the Restoration Crystals work!

Ugh. I would've rather found that out the easy way. Did we get him?

drat straight we did.

We've got a clear shot to the binding now, too.

But was it worth it? Was it worth losing a valuable healing item and subjecting an ally to the trauma of death?

Yup, sure was.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm undead. I don't even know if trauma of death is a real thing!

Let's ask Willow. She'd know.

...can I go back to being dead now?

Some loving gratitude.

Hoo boy, here we go aga

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That is not how illusions work.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

BTW, the OP isn't kidding. Those illusions do not gently caress around. I actually once killed Myles, expecting his illusions to die as well, but they didn't and slaughtered what was left of my party.
Also Myles has a party-wide paralysis spell. It's kind of a bitch this early in the game.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Myles is incredibly nasty and reduced my sorcerer to a full-time potion thrower just to deal with the horrible status effects. :shepface: Luckily, my party didn't actually have anyone squishier than the sorcerer; the cultist, while not as strong a healer as the witch, is a lot more durable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, this fight was loving nasty, even if you get absurdly lucky in loot drops - especially if you go in with the idea his title means those things will vanish when he die, or they'll just disappear in a single hit.

• Locked thread