Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Critical posted:

Aforementioned Denis Miller (Tried his political sarcastic comedy shtick on wrestling fans, was met with either total apathy or outright hostility. Also in kayfabe he is the one to give Vince the idea of bringing Bret Hart back)

ZZ Top was an obvious pre-shoot where they weren't actually in the building. Same with Ashton Kutcher I believe.

Jeremy Piven and Dr Ken were awful and the origin of the genesis of the Summerfest meme.

I believe they had a couple NASCAR guys on and it was pretty dire.

The whole guest host era is a very, very dark timeline.

I remember Jewel and her hick boyfriend actually being surprisingly good cause they were just drunk and having fun with everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I, much like everyone should, love Scott Steiner. However, I can't recall seeing that many of his actual matches. Do y'all have suggestions on

1) some good Steiner Bros matches
2) some good Big Poppa Pump matches

Thanks in advance! I think there should be a Steiner emoticon of some sort, I'd use it here.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Muppets were loving great and they should do a Raw with them once a year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I, much like everyone should, love Scott Steiner. However, I can't recall seeing that many of his actual matches. Do y'all have suggestions on

Thanks in advance! I think there should be a Steiner emoticon of some sort, I'd use it here.

Steiners vs Sting/Luger from Superbrawl, vs. Fujinami/Iizuka from Wrestlewar 92

Steiner vs Goldberg from Fall Brawl 2000 is great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Blast Fantasto posted:

I was watching a Nitro last night and (Road Warrior) Hawk completely no-sells a spike piledriver from Meng. Like he legit just shoots straight back up to his feet.

What are some other awesome/egregious no sells?

Hawk no-selling Jerry Lawler's piledriver.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Blast Fantasto posted:

I was watching a Nitro last night and (Road Warrior) Hawk completely no-sells a spike piledriver from Meng. Like he legit just shoots straight back up to his feet.

Lex Luger vs. Bruiser Brody in a cage. Luger punched at him and Brody simply shrugged off everything while glaring at Luger, who was supposed to go over. Soon, Luger got so scared for his life that he just climbed out of the cage and cheesed it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Hawk no-selling Jerry Lawler's piledriver.

Apparently this is like trying to headbutt a Samoan.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Steiners vs Sting/Luger from Superbrawl, vs. Fujinami/Iizuka from Wrestlewar 92

Steiner vs Goldberg from Fall Brawl 2000 is great.

Steiners/Money Inc. in a cage from way back in the day, I couldn't possibly tell you when and I might be overvaluing it.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
What was the general feeling of it being revealed that Bob Barker was going to guest host RAW? Was it met with complete derision here or did anyone actually expect the gold we got from him?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Apparently this is like trying to headbutt a Samoan.

Heenan's joke after Hawk did the no-sell was basically "well that move doesn't hurt if there's no brain in your head"

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Steiners/Money Inc. in a cage from way back in the day, I couldn't possibly tell you when and I might be overvaluing it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv2ft_steiners-vs-money-inc-cage_street

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I don't think anyone here has a Steiner av either. Please consider this my shill to have someone make me one. TIA

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

On an Raw match agains the Godwinns, Hawk completely no sold a piledriver and Cornette explained it by saying Hawk had trained the muscles in his neck, so piledrivers didn't hurt him as much.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I don't think anyone here has a Steiner av either. Please consider this my shill to have someone make me one. TIA

GIMME A FUCKIN AV!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

C. Everett Koop posted:

I remember watching this on TV with my grandma and her going nuts over the Steiners. She HATED the Million Dollar Man. My grandma was a badass.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
What are some great tag team breakups/feuds?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

y2aj

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Rybaxel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBYZetmb5k

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Critical posted:

I believe they had a couple NASCAR guys on and it was pretty dire.

they should have brought in kyle petty for an nWo reunion

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

this is verboten THIS IS VERBOTEN

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I miss Rybaxel. :(

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Sotar posted:

What was the general feeling of it being revealed that Bob Barker was going to guest host RAW? Was it met with complete derision here or did anyone actually expect the gold we got from him?

I don't think there was any real derision, they'd been doing the guest host thing for a while and I think by then we were pretty numb to it. Personally, I've loved The Price Is RIght since I was two years old and Bob Barker is a consummate pro, so him being amazing didn't surprise me.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Okay, it was sloppy at first but good at the end, I don't think I've watched that match since it aired 23 years (jesus gently caress me) ago. I always remembered guys leaving the cage and coming back in, and the finish of Rick holding IRS on his shoulders while DiBiase worked him over, allowing Scott to escape.

Pro-click link, it's sloppy and disorganized by today's "go from spot to spot" standard of cage matches, but it's a good Mid-South brawl.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sotar posted:

There were more positive expectations for it than 90% of guest hosts. I think people knew it'd be wacky and that Bob is the man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The Rockers. Wasn't much of a feud, but the breakup was dramatic, and was a huge milestone for Shawn Michaels.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Steenerico

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Cocksmith posted:

they should have brought in kyle petty for an nWo reunion

im very distressed that i'm only finding out about this now. my dad used to work for the pettys (unfortunately kyle didn't drive for petty enterprises during his nwo run) and i've met him/hung out with him a pretty decent amount of times. if only i had asked him how chill kevin nash really is.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Die Laughing posted:

The Rockers. Wasn't much of a feud, but the breakup was dramatic, and was a huge milestone for Shawn Michaels.

This one, yeah. It was amazing when I was like 8 or whatever.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What are some wrestler pairings who have had much better ring chemistry than you've expected them to, either feuding or teaming?

I remember Sheamus and John Morrison having an unexpectedly great series of matches about 5 or 6 years ago. Charlotte and Nattie is always really good and Charlotte brings her A-game in a way she doesn't for others. And for some reason Ascension vs Lucha Dragons is usually better than it has any right to be.

As for being on the same side, I definitely never thought Angelico, Son of Havoc, and Ivelisse would make such a great trios team, but that was always kind of the point.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

sticklefifer posted:

What are some wrestler pairings who have had much better ring chemistry than you've expected them to, either feuding or teaming?

I remember a match that I assume must have been one of the first few between Kurt Angle and SCSA that was very good, and one that turned me around about Stone Cold as a wrestler. I didn't see him in WCW, and while I thought the character was excellent I always thought he was not very good at wrestling.

I would not have expected the two of them to work so well together, but that image I had of Stone Cold being a Hogan-style guy who did nothing in the ring and got by on personality alone might be why it surprised me.

Also Booker and Goldust as a tag team, but that was more about their skits than their ring work.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

British Bulldog/Warlord, Big Show/Sheamus, Kane/Albert, Shield/Wyatt Family.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Blast Fantasto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RjekOTOp5g&t=462s

gently caress Hogan

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Road Warriors literally spent like 15+ years no selling every big move in the biz. The reason they got booted from every company they've ever worked for at one time or another is that they absolutely can never ever refuse to not be the best and biggest tag team ever even during the twilight years when they were fat/drunk/high all the time. I'm pretty sure Hawk or Animal no-sold basically every major finisher from everyone but Hogan back in their WWF run, it's why in retrospect so many of their matches are absolute poo poo. Sure the first one or two times you watch a LoD match you're blown away by how awesome and tough they look but then you realize that every match follows the exact same formula, they no sell every single drat thing and they get extremely lazy/winded at the drop of a hat.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sticklefifer posted:

I remember Sheamus and John Morrison having an unexpectedly great series of matches about 5 or 6 years ago. Charlotte and Nattie is always really good and Charlotte brings her A-game in a way she doesn't for others. And for some reason Ascension vs Lucha Dragons is usually better than it has any right to be.

As for being on the same side, I definitely never thought Angelico, Son of Havoc, and Ivelisse would make such a great trios team, but that was always kind of the point.

Taker/Batista had really good matches in 07

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Road Warriors literally spent like 15+ years no selling every big move in the biz. The reason they got booted from every company they've ever worked for at one time or another is that they absolutely can never ever refuse to not be the best and biggest tag team ever even during the twilight years when they were fat/drunk/high all the time. I'm pretty sure Hawk or Animal no-sold basically every major finisher from everyone but Hogan back in their WWF run, it's why in retrospect so many of their matches are absolute poo poo. Sure the first one or two times you watch a LoD match you're blown away by how awesome and tough they look but then you realize that every match follows the exact same formula, they no sell every single drat thing and they get extremely lazy/winded at the drop of a hat.

Uuuuuuuh what a ruuuush.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Are there any great lumberjack matches?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

sticklefifer posted:

CM Punk and JBL had some fun matches somehow, at a time when JBL was truly awful.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Kennel posted:

Are there any great lumberjack matches?

Dean vs Seth at summerslam 14 wasn't a bad lumberjack match. Great though not sure I just remember them being creative on how they used the bodies around ring side to help tell the story.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
What's the worst match featuring a wrestler who was also in a match Meltzer gave five stars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

afatwhiteloaf posted:

What's the worst match featuring a wrestler who was also in a match Meltzer gave five stars?
Per Meltzer, that would be the Bushwackers vs. Sheik & Volkoff at Heroes of Wrestling. The Bushwackers were also once in a 5-star match.

Edit: Thing is, though, that match is horrible, but really not the worst. It's bad and boring, but I feel like it would have to go on longer to be the worst of all time. The recent Villanos match is worse.

On the other hand, Bobby Eaton was in a 5-star WarGames match, and also at the abominable scaffold match at GAB 91. That was truly horrible; no one should have ever done a scaffold match and God willing, no one will ever do one again.

Speaking of people who only have a 5-star match thanks to WarGames, Sid Vicious vs. Nightstalker was awful, but it's kind of hilariously awful. I believe Meltzer described it accurately as what appears to be two blind men having a wrestling match.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 13, 2016