Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Even after all this time, I never got tired of the Terezi looking the wrong way gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dolash posted:

I remember commenting a while ago that Hussie gave us too much information with Caliborn's Masterpiece. It bridged the gap between what the kids would do after fighting the Condesce/The Jacks and the final battle, it showed us how Caliborn would come to be. With it we could figure out that the weapon had the kids inside and probably they'd be able to beat Lord English after Calliope destroys his power source. It seemed like too much to give away, so we speculated maybe there's some detail Caliborn overlooked, like a weakness that'd be included in him, or something about the characters and their relationships he wouldn't appreciate. Something that would make him showing it to us a matter of hubris so that when it really happened we'd see he'd been wrong.

Now it turns out that no, we were shown Caliborn's Masterpiece to fill in some gaps because it would never be shown. It was just some fodder to help us parse the ending a little.

Caliborn's take on Homestuck was always meant to be a stripped-down corruption of it, hence him recreating the earlier acts in a crude and sloppy fashion that offended John. Now Caliborn's Masterpiece is part of Homestuck, not just a vision of something that might happen but an actual important plot piece on its own. It was not some bit of dramatic irony and there was no deeper meaning to be revealed later, Caliborn authored that bit of Homestuck that we need to understand the ending.

This is a small complaint when mixed in with the rest, but when Hussie the character 'died' and Caliborn took over the comic, it's like he really did take it over in some weird way. I'm not even sure where this is going.

Caliborn was trying to learn how to make anime, right?

What if this, too, is caliborn's masterpiece.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Guys.

Guys.

Imagine if this exact same thing, but with beating Jack Noir instead of Lord English fairly soon after Cascade happened.

Homestuck could have been worthwhile

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Man. I realized the thing I enjoyed most about HS was the stupid logs. That made this whole last few updates the worst?

Larf. Oh well.

I expected some funny conversations TBH, the one thing one can consistently trust Hussie with.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackheart posted:

I expected some funny conversations TBH, the one thing one can consistently trust Hussie with.

I honestly couldn't have imagined that Homestuck would've ended on something that didn't involve dialogue

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I wonder why they did a shot of Caliborn's crotch in the middle of all that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ok so something pointed out on tumblr

it was said the finale would be 2 html pages

act 7 was only one

there may be a post-epilogue yet

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fave bits of HS: poo poo falling out of gobs and ironic anime.
Finale: No dialogue, unironic anime. :negative:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Who was it who told Hussie that the ending he did for Problem Sleuth wouldn't work for Homestuck? Why didn't he do a walk-around flash, something he's made several of before and which were very effective at allowing him to survey a large scene with many characters at once relatively affordably? I get having a flashy animation to end out on, but he could've made do with just the bit showing the next universe and going through the door and that would've been plenty if it had been prefaced with scenes that cleared up the final battle against Lord English/Caliborn and let us finish up with the cast.

It's not like the story from this point on was intractable. We already have enough clues to piece together some of the broad strokes ourselves, it's not like actually providing some answers and writing some dialogue was an insurmountable hurdle.

I just can't believe that Hussie really thinks this is a good ending. I don't believe him. I think this is the ending he could get done, for whatever reason that might be. Maybe he was too burned out to write any more Homestuck or make any more Flash (can he even make flash now, with the security changes? He's just been doing youtube videos). Maybe timeline and budget problems hosed him what with the game and all and this was the result of just wanting to put the comic to bed. Maybe he stopped caring at some point and just struggled through the rest of this. The high percentage of guest animator and artist contributions leans toward this not being what Hussie would've made in his heyday.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I would give anything to go back in time, and the ending is just

Lord English dies because of an Inappropriate Time For Ham punchline.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The complete lack of dialog might legit be the most awful part of this entire week of ending.

Like that was the entire reason I kept up with this comic. It was fun watching the character talk too each other most of the time.

The more I think about the ending the more sad I get so i guess I'll take solace in the fact that I'm free. We are all free someone post the relevant screencaps from undertale here.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still love Symphony Impossible to Play.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Enourmo posted:

act 7 was only one

Didnt you click the =====> under Act 7?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Enourmo posted:

act 7 was only one

If you click the ==> button the next page has the curtains closing and it says "the end".

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Heres the real question: What happened to Gamzee.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Mazerunner posted:

A cosmos that they were personally and intrinsically linked to, from its creation and in all aspects, and yet apparently they just peace out?

Maybe every successful session sees just as much.
Or maybe they got to see so much because they are the vehicle of The Director's self insert character.

Only two characters ever showed a desire to reach that level, Vriska who wanted to be a player, and Aradia who wanted to see.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Fancy Hat! posted:

It's open to interpretation at this point, so here's mine: he's loving dead

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Tetracube posted:

oh my god I haven't seen the guy since 2011 and he had a different name but I know exactly who you're talking about

why the gently caress is he still at it 5 years later

he bet someone a hundred dollars one of his theories would be explicitly confirmed before the end
i don't think a single one was

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
...so, between the convoluted plot BS of act 6 and the long breaks, I'm kinda very confused on this ending. The gently caress happened? It's also a minute and a half too short for Komm Susser Tod to fit, aww.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Poison Mushroom posted:

I would give anything to go back in time, and the ending is just

Lord English dies because of an Inappropriate Time For Ham punchline.

I WOULD LOVE TO KILL YOU, VRISKA.

BUT I CAN NOT.

I AM HAM-HANDED. I HAVE HAMS FOR HANDS.

TRULY AN INAPPROPRIATE TIME FOR HAM.

ALAS I AM THE LORD OF TIME, NOT THE LORD OF HAM.

ALAS.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Enourmo posted:

act 7 was only one

Please, please, please let this be true.
I want just one more hit of dialoglog, one more bit of alchemizing, one more stupid name for a simple thing!!
(I never really got the point of the Star Wars EU or whatever but now, suddenly, horribly, I do.)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

WAR FOOT posted:

what was even the point of lord english and the cherubs

worldbuilding

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Fancy Hat! posted:

He got absorbed into Cal along with Caliborn and Arquissprite, eventually becoming part of Lord English.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Color Printer posted:

he has to live long enough to become caliborn's minion tho

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm reminded of the dude who said most of Stardust Crusaders was filler when people say "poo poo didn't matter".

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Color Printer posted:

bisected and half soulfused into a poolball skullhulk probably counts as dead yes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If this disappointment made you sad, check out this cool thing paperseverywhere made before you go to bed. That's what I'm doing now, the latter that is. Good night, Homestuck thread.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

YggiDee posted:

If you click the ==> button the next page has the curtains closing and it says "the end".

my entire theory hinges on the fact that that page doesn't end in .html

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Dias posted:

...so, between the convoluted plot BS of act 6 and the long breaks, I'm kinda very confused on this ending. The gently caress happened? It's also a minute and a half too short for Komm Susser Tod to fit, aww.

it's like the evangelion anime ending except it answered even less

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Maybe the homestuck game will be ok.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AriadneThread posted:

he bet someone a hundred dollars one of his theories would be explicitly confirmed before the end
i don't think a single one was

lol he deserves the $100 out of pity

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Daius posted:

Guys.

Guys.

Imagine if this exact same thing, but with beating Jack Noir instead of Lord English fairly soon after Cascade happened.

Homestuck could have been worthwhile

Honestly, yeah. Things were pretty tied up after Cascade. A short and tight Act 6 dedicated to cleaning up just the last few loose ends, a Collide about battling the actual final boss rather than all the sub-bosses and an Act 7 that didn't leave over half the cast with a big question mark over their heads would have been much better and much faster. Act 6 is baffling because on the one hand it massively expanded the story and then on the other it ended by betraying that expansion with an ending that said actually it wasn't important. Act 6 is about the size of the rest of the comic and introduced or expanded more characters as well, and it was all for nothing.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
There... has to be an Epilogue, right? Like I see "The End" but it's not the end end, right? It can't just end that way, right?

Homestuck's biggest strength is the character dialogue it just doesn't make any sense to end it that way!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rorus Raz posted:

He posted an hour ago that he's recording his reaction to Act 7.

Do...do you think he's okay :ohdear:

That depends, are there any stumps outside his house?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ross Angeles posted:

it's like the evangelion anime ending except it answered even less

Enourmo posted:

This is... This is nice. I... This is the end. O-ok... Where exactly am I?! Um... Oh, here's the song. Oh, good. Um, there's some things that are still unresolved here, guys. H-how do I get home? Ah, What do I eat? W-was Roxy my mom, or... a clone... or...

Hell, was this all in my mind?

Wh-what's lord english? Is that sort of a... Freduian thing? Er, um... Am I real? Oh, hell... does a bus run through here? I mean, I'd like to go home now, but... um... Ah, god - Where's home?

Ok, ok, I musn't run away, I musn't run away. I got that. Good. Ok. Now, if I were to run away, let's analyze that: Where the gently caress would I go? I'm on a big, blue ball!

Ah, is this how you end the comic? I mean, is this 'where we go from here?' Ok, the movie better sure as HELL make up for this, I'm tellin' ya right now - 'cause I'm stuck in nowhereland.

Ya ran outta ink too, didn't you, ya bastard.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dolash posted:

Who was it who told Hussie that the ending he did for Problem Sleuth wouldn't work for Homestuck? Why didn't he do a walk-around flash, something he's made several of before and which were very effective at allowing him to survey a large scene with many characters at once relatively affordably? I get having a flashy animation to end out on, but he could've made do with just the bit showing the next universe and going through the door and that would've been plenty if it had been prefaced with scenes that cleared up the final battle against Lord English/Caliborn and let us finish up with the cast.

It's not like the story from this point on was intractable. We already have enough clues to piece together some of the broad strokes ourselves, it's not like actually providing some answers and writing some dialogue was an insurmountable hurdle.

I just can't believe that Hussie really thinks this is a good ending. I don't believe him. I think this is the ending he could get done, for whatever reason that might be. Maybe he was too burned out to write any more Homestuck or make any more Flash (can he even make flash now, with the security changes? He's just been doing youtube videos). Maybe timeline and budget problems hosed him what with the game and all and this was the result of just wanting to put the comic to bed. Maybe he stopped caring at some point and just struggled through the rest of this. The high percentage of guest animator and artist contributions leans toward this not being what Hussie would've made in his heyday.
I think what happened was basically the storytelling equivalent of attempting to build a tunnel from both sides of a mountain and not having them meet in the middle. What we've had over the past week or so could've been a fine epilogue, it's just the narrative never really wrapped itself up so a tonne of stuff is dangling.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Dias posted:

Crazy Calliope sucked the green sun and imploded it (or something? I'm not entirely clear)

The kids opened the door, and were teleported to fight Lord English. The events of the Vine Caliborn updates occur leaving Caliborn et all absorbed in Cal.

Vriska deploys the juju, releasing the kids who were stuck in it, somehow defeating Lord English.

The kids won Sburb, created a world/universe for chess people on Alpha Earth and had a great time. Eventually. We're shown that throw a time flash forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I realize I'm being a bit harsh. It's perfectly normal to not like something because it wasn't what you wanted.