Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diplomatic Immunity
Apr 12, 2006
The King
What wireless charging pads are worth checking out? Are any of the sub $20 pads worth checking out, for an introductory look at wireless charging?

Are there good (if any) fast charging pads that aren't made by Samsung?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I wouldn't bother with anything less cool than this

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Wireless charging is going away, don't jump on a sinking ship.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Whizbang posted:

This is the answer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Whizbang posted:

I wish it wasn't, wireless charging loving rules. Samsung is keeping at it for now at least.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

CLAM DOWN posted:

I wish it wasn't, wireless charging loving rules. Samsung is keeping at it for now at least.

That's lame as hell. I love it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Whizbang posted:

Why is it going away?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

logikv9 posted:

Why is it going away?

Because no one but Samsung is building phones with it. That said, I love my Tylt Vus and will be sad when that's done. Wires are bullshit.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Things I liked so much that I thought I'd never buy another phone without:
-keyboard
-Qi charging
-WebOS
-hardware nav buttons
-hardware shutter button

New things I can't live without:
-fingerprint reader
-USB-C

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

nocal posted:

-WebOS

:lol:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I was a legit WebOS fanboy when it was new. It took a while before Android came even close to the same level interface-wise.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

azurite posted:

I was a legit WebOS fanboy when it was new. It took a while before Android came even close to the same level interface-wise.

WebOS did look 10x better than early Android.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
WebOS BestOS

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nocal posted:

-keyboard
-Qi charging
-WebOS
-hardware nav buttons
-hardware shutter button

New things I can't live without:
-fingerprint reader
-USB-C

I'm not sure what makes USB-C something you can't live without. Given how often I use a cable on my phone which is now once a month due to security updates I don't see why I'd care how lovely the actual connector is. If I wasn't rooted, I'd never need to connect the cable at all.

It seems like you're only in a position to not live without it because you're forced to live with it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

nmfree posted:

WebOS BestOS

Ain't that the truth! I'm convinced it still did multitasking better than android does now (swipe up and swipe back was just so easy and satisfying). Even now I'm tempted to pick up a Pre 3 for a laugh.

RIP BestOS

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

I'm not sure what makes USB-C something you can't live without. Given how often I use a cable on my phone which is now once a month due to security updates I don't see why I'd care how lovely the actual connector is. If I wasn't rooted, I'd never need to connect the cable at all.

It seems like you're only in a position to not live without it because you're forced to live with it.

You should check out chainfires FlashFire app, you wouldn't even need to use a cable for updates then

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

You should check out chainfires FlashFire app, you wouldn't even need to use a cable for updates then

I don't mind fastboot flashing two things and sideloading another two things once a month. Plus the factory images are always available quicker than the OTA update.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can use it to flash a factory image downloaded to your phone if you don't want to wait for the ota

It'll even reroot afterwards, and you can do stuff like inserting the AdAway systemless zip into the flashing queue

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Decided to try the "new" Systemless Root + Systemless AdAway thing and AdAway 3.1 just claims I'm out of space on a Nexus 6. Changing it to data/data/hosts says it needs a symlink and then symlink creation fails. Can't find anything on how to fix this after googling for a minute or two.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Decided to try the "new" Systemless Root + Systemless AdAway thing and AdAway 3.1 just claims I'm out of space on a Nexus 6. Changing it to data/data/hosts says it needs a symlink and then symlink creation fails. Can't find anything on how to fix this after googling for a minute or two.

This is more of a root thread question but just to be sure, you're flashing a stock system.img, a stock boot.img, then SuperSU 2.71, then the AdAway.zip all in that order and you're NOT letting TWRP root the device when it says you don't appear to be rooted?

Skarsnik posted:

You can use it to flash a factory image downloaded to your phone if you don't want to wait for the ota

It'll even reroot afterwards, and you can do stuff like inserting the AdAway systemless zip into the flashing queue

I feel like too much of a hacker with my green on black Terminal window to give it up.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

DemonMage posted:

The whole point of the systemless AdAway zip, is you can point AdAway at system as normal, you don't need to change the target host file setting

It creates an overlay that it mounts instead of touching system directly

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

LastInLine posted:

This is more of a root thread question but just to be sure, you're flashing a stock system.img, a stock boot.img, then SuperSU 2.71, then the AdAway.zip all in that order and you're NOT letting TWRP root the device when it says you don't appear to be rooted?

Mostly mentioned it here for the context, as the recent posts are why I decided to go back to root.

I was running completely stock in the first place, but am having to reflash those since I deleted the LatinIME in my sleep-haze to try and free up System space.
fastboot boot twrp-shamu.img
adb sideload BETA-SuperSU-v2.71.zip
adb sideload AdAway_systemless_hosts_v2.zip
reboot system (never get any warning about not seeming to be rooted)
Install AdAway 3.1 via apk
Launch it, give it permission, download and apply ad blocking, gives error "Not enough space on the partition! Try changing the target hosts file in preferences to data/data/hosts."

[Edit] Deleting the Hindi/Pinyin/Korean IMEs does let me install it, but no idea if this fucks up my ability to use Android Pay/OTA.

Skarsnik posted:

The whole point of the systemless AdAway zip, is you can point AdAway at system as normal, you don't need to change the target host file setting

It creates an overlay that it mounts instead of touching system directly

Which is why I was confused when it claims I'm out of space on a freshly rooted device.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 13, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Mostly mentioned it here for the context, as the recent posts are why I decided to go back to root.

I was running completely stock in the first place, but am having to reflash those since I deleted the LatinIME in my sleep-haze to try and free up System space.
reboot system (never get any warning about not seeming to be rooted)
Install AdAway 3.1 via apk
Launch it, give it permission, download and apply ad blocking, gives error "Not enough space on the partition! Try changing the target hosts file in preferences to data/data/hosts."

[Edit] Deleting the Hindi/Pinyin/Korean IMEs does let me install it, but no idea if this fucks up my ability to use Android Pay/OTA.

Which is why I was confused when it claims I'm out of space on a freshly rooted device.

To get the systemless root to take, you need to start with a fresh boot.img and a stock system. If you aren't getting the warning, I don't think you have it set right. Do this:

Download the system image. Extract the system.img and the boot.img from the .tgz and .zip inside and put them in your Platform-tools folder. You won't lose any data.

fastboot flash system.img
fastboot flash boot.img

reboot (TWRP should throw the warning here, decline)

Wait for app optimization and it should just work.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

WOW COOL ROOT STUFF, GUYS

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

WOW COOL ROOT STUFF, GUYS

Hey man, I tried.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

That's literally what I did, SU say it's in systemless mode. *shrug* It's working now, if removing those useless keyboards makes it so I can't take OTA/Pay then whatever I guess. Here's hoping we get those Chrome extensions someday and it won't matter.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there a way to use Kies or Odin to update my Galaxy S7 without flashing the entire phone? I'm not looking to root, just wanting to stay on top of security updates in case I don't get them OTA.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

I've been having an issue with my audio playback. After I've been listening to music or podcasts for a while, the volume drops down to about 3 ticks, even if it's been up higher. When I try and adjust it upwards, the phone throws the 'above recommended listening level' warning.

It happens over both music and podcasts (Shuttle and Pocket Casts), with multiple pairs of earphones, and on my old N6 and new 6P. I'm assuming it's some sort of safety feature to prevent listening at high volumes for a long time.

If it's a safety thing, is there a way to turn it off? If not, has anyone else had this problem?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phon posted:

If it's a safety thing, is there a way to turn it off? If not, has anyone else had this problem?
I had a similar issue with MX Player once where it uses its own volume bar and wasn't displaying the native volume dialog warning with the checkbox to disable it. Do these apps have their own volume UI implementation? Try Google Play Music or Youtube or something and see if you get the option to disable it.

Note that it comes back if you reboot the device. It's EU law, basically.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tunga posted:

Note that it comes back if you reboot the device. It's EU law, basically.

I usually only see it after a fresh flash, your preference has survived a reboot for a while now, since at least L

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I haven't seen that warning in years now. Maybe the last time was on my Galaxy Nexus?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

I haven't seen that warning in years now. Maybe the last time was on my Galaxy Nexus?

I had it on my Droid Maxx, Droid Turbo, and my Samsung S7 Edge. I thought all phones had it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I had it on my 2013 Moto X, but not on the Droid Turbo 2.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

I usually only see it after a fresh flash, your preference has survived a reboot for a while now, since at least L
Thinking about it, I probably haven't seen it for ages either. Though I very rarely use headphones on my phone. I think it was actually my N10 that had the MXPlayer issue.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

Its an EU thing, we definitely have it over here on the nexus line

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maybe it's just not present over here in freedomland. :smug: Now if you'll excuse me, I seem to have caught a stray bullet from a local school shooting and will need to arrange financing before I can seek medical attention.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

The warning's fine, I don't care about that. It's the fact that the warning is appearing when the volume is set at around 3 ticks, below the midpoint of the bar, when moments earlier the phone had happily been allowing me to listen only a few ticks from the maximum. I can't find anything in the settings of either the phone or the media apps that would correspond to 'drop the volume for no reason'.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

You will get the warning on US Samsungs and there's no way to turn it off.

Edit: My Note 4 would drop the volume randomly, usually when something is paired like car audio.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phon posted:

The warning's fine, I don't care about that. It's the fact that the warning is appearing when the volume is set at around 3 ticks, below the midpoint of the bar, when moments earlier the phone had happily been allowing me to listen only a few ticks from the maximum. I can't find anything in the settings of either the phone or the media apps that would correspond to 'drop the volume for no reason'.
Did you try this?

Tunga posted:

I had a similar issue with MX Player once where it uses its own volume bar and wasn't displaying the native volume dialog warning with the checkbox to disable it. Do these apps have their own volume UI implementation? Try Google Play Music or Youtube or something and see if you get the option to disable it.
MX Player would jump the volume back down randomly, generally after a few seconds rather than minutes but it's worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hrm. N Beta 2 crashes like a motherfucker. Anyone else have this?

Hope a factory reset will fix this.