Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Whitenoise Poster posted:

There was an insane conspiracy theory complete with red circles around screen caps of dialog from different parts of the comic that was popular on 4chan that claimed that at some point in act six hussie completely stopped writing for the comic and someone else was ghostwriting it.

I don't think it's true but it'd be a nice clean explanation for the comics dive off a cliff.

I mean he did have to deal with the development of his game catching fire and burning down when he got straight up embezzled from, so.

I certainly wouldn't think it impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

AriadneThread posted:

i hope this mythical epilogue will actually have dialogue
that was real reason i ever liked this ride to start with

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Someones already posted an evangelion/homestuck crossover.
I need fuckin... Vriska as Asuka saying "How disgusting!!!!!!!!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The best end for Homestuck was made 5 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMcEBX74AWE

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcamjcoRmrQ

Twilight is shining through the thread

It seems your journey is that an end

It fills you with...

[D I S S A P O I N T M E N T]

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

people don't have arcs
--dave

Nobody in Homestuck was developed enough to be a person

Well that may be harsh, but it's especially true of Jade

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's this weird thing, which I have dubbed the Internet Hate Chamber, where flaws are magnified beyond recognition and a weird circlejerk of hate takes place where everything good about a thing turns to ash and only bitterness remains and no one is happy. It happens with a lot of things, and any one thing can start it, and it happened with Homestuck a long time ago in this thread. Even if the ending had been everything the posters had wanted they would still hate it because once started the Hate Circle cannot be ended.

Everyone has become Act 5 Karkat without the charm or sense of humor.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm sorry, I love you.

- Andrew Hussie to Homestuck

Griptape
Feb 22, 2013
So hey, delurking just to get my thoughts down.

You know, I can't really be happy about how this ended (possible epilogue notwithstanding), but I'm not really unhappy about it either? Like yeah, it kinda sucks, but I was really in this crazy thing for the experience more than the story. It was never about seeing this thing through to the end as much as it was seeing where the end was even going to be, if that makes sense?

Honestly, I get the feeling that after all the fuckery that happened with the game, and all the pauses, and the fact that this thing has gone on six loving years longer than originally planned, that at this point Hussie is so loving burnt out that he just needed to put a cap on this thing just to be able to say "it's done", and drat any quality issues and hanging plot threads that are left. And really? I'm okay with that. I'd rather have some kind of ending, no matter how lacking, than sit around for another two years while an increasingly-done-with-this Hussie forces himself through tying up every last one of the twenty thousand loose ends that have built up over the last seven years, because there's no way that it wouldn't have been completely obvious that he just wasn't into it after a while. Or even worse, just having him gently caress off into obscurity and never having any kind of closure at all.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm okay with how things ended. I get that it kind of sucks, and I totally see why a lot of people are pissed off and left wanting, but for me it's all the closure I was looking for, and it's not so awful that it's going to taint everything that came before it (looking at you, Mass Effect 3). And honestly, with as long and rambly and bloated and unplanned this thing has been by design, I can't really see any satisfying way he could have possibly ended it without putting another few years into it, and I'm not sure that would have been any better. To get it done in any sort of reasonable timeframe, it was always going to feel rushed and forced, imo.

So godspeed, you crazy bastard. Thanks for the crazy ride for the last seven years. Looking forward to the author postmortem on this thing once he gets past the initial rush of "holy poo poo it's finally done". And hey, if nothing else good comes of this, it still got Toby Fox enough name recognition for Undertale to be a massive success, so it's a net positive in my book.

that was way more words than i ever expected to be writing about a silly webcomic but whatever it's done

Griptape fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 13, 2016

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Um...

Could...could it be that Caliborn finally got good at drawing anime and actually is pulling one last lovely twist to gently caress with us?

Anyway, to echo some of the other sentiments posted, loved it as an animation, underwhelmed by it as an ending. Still, loved the hell out of my time with Homestuck regardless, even if I found myself taking as many long long hiatuses from reading it as Hussie did in writing it.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 13, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's this weird thing, which I have dubbed the Internet Hate Chamber, where flaws are magnified beyond recognition and a weird circlejerk of hate takes place where everything good about a thing turns to ash and only bitterness remains and no one is happy. It happens with a lot of things, and any one thing can start it, and it happened with Homestuck a long time ago in this thread. Even if the ending had been everything the posters had wanted they would still hate it because once started the Hate Circle cannot be ended.

hey now, that's only been like half to two-thirds of the thread :v:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I'm not holding out hope for some possible future epilogue. Even if it came out, this update sucked a lot of the magic out of the whole thing. So much depended on landing the ending, just as previous acts were brought together by their own end of acts and other climaxes. So much of Homestuck would undercut its own meaning, turn itself into an ironic joke, do important character moments and revelations offscreen - but that way always okay, in the name of the real climax/ending that was coming later, that needed to hit that high. Now knowing there is no such thing all those previous shortcuts and weaknesses are thrown into a new and unfavorable light, and cannot be fixed by an ME-3-style Extended Ending DLC.

I could sit here all day and name things that now look awful in light of the ending. What the hell was up with Jade? Almost everything about her in Act 6 was erased by the retcon, we never really got to know the new Jade and then she did nothing of significance for the rest of the comic. What was the point of Dave or Jake's respective destinies to defeat Lord English? What even happened to Vriska, Davepeta, Aradia, Sollux and the ghosts? And that's just the basic poo poo.

That glimpse of the new world was only slightly better than these glaring omissions. PM and WV remaking Can Town and living with a bunch of exiles is to be expected, although I didn't expect the trolls to not restart their race or the humans to not get more humans somehow. I mean I guess we could :speculate: about how maybe they make a thriving civilization later (is anyone immortal?) but we could've done that without this ending. And that's even assuming it actually came to pass, because the ending is so nebulous that maybe Lord English just destroyed it all instead?

He just gave up. Threw in the towel. This is not the ending that Hussie would have made back in Act 5.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Well, an example of an alternate ending. Hussie pairs up a bunch of the characters for a bunch of extraneous dialoglogs. Which characters talk to each other. How many of them can you write as-to satisfy the people who like this-n-that characters talking to each other, and not disappoint other people? I think this ending really leaves a lot to the fans and that's probably a positive thing, we've gotten a lot of characterization throughout the comic and this sendoff gives everyone the chance to kinda consider how the aftermath actually panned out. The original concept of this comic has been like, reader input, we're given the inception of a new universe and now we get to think about how this maybe ended, the conflict with Lord English and what life would be like post-Homestuck for these kids in this new world they created.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Dias posted:

Man, I wouldn't have put that together in a million Sburb years, I think I forgot half of the happenings in this dumb webcomic. Also I did the thing because someone had to: http://crossfade.io/#!/4rftop0zk4

Huh that actually syncs up pretty well.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I think it is a bad thought to say, that an ending was bad and that it was bad because the author stopped caring, not because you just disagree with it

it's bad, and also dumb

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I guess I'm not even disappointed because I'm really tired. I'm feeling that Hussie is tired. End it, end it noooooow so we can be free!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Or maybe people are allowed to have opinions on something, and sometimes those opinions... ARE NEGATIVE?

and maybe they want to talk about what they didn't like, and why they felt it didn't work?

Sometimes people do go too far, but haha if your reaction to "this was disapointing" is 'stop hating HATERS"!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dolash posted:

Yeah, I'm not holding out hope for some possible future epilogue. Even if it came out, this update sucked a lot of the magic out of the whole thing. So much depended on landing the ending, just as previous acts were brought together by their own end of acts and other climaxes. So much of Homestuck would undercut its own meaning, turn itself into an ironic joke, do important character moments and revelations offscreen - but that way always okay, in the name of the real climax/ending that was coming later, that needed to hit that high. Now knowing there is no such thing all those previous shortcuts and weaknesses are thrown into a new and unfavorable light, and cannot be fixed by an ME-3-style Extended Ending DLC.

What we'll probably get is some Formspring/Tumblr-rear end Hussie explanation for why everything here was right and all that. And I think people respect his responses to actual criticisms of things

It might not fix the overall response to the ending tonight completely, but I think people might be somewhat satisfied with it, just knowing the way he talks about the poo poo he works on.

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
I don't hate the ending it was a really beautiful piece of work but as an ending to a narrative it is not great. That's about the extent of my feelings. I thought Collide was way more exciting and lived up to the buildup.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
This is actually the best ending. We, the readers of MSPA, who shaped the narrative by inputting commands, are now free to create any ending we want, by use of the ultimate command: fanfiction.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This is actually the best ending. We, the readers of MSPA, who shaped the narrative by inputting commands, are now free to create any ending we want, by use of the ultimate command: fanfiction.

Ammat The Ankh looks upon the ending of Homestuck. He is pleased. This is canon

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Ammat The Ankh posted:

oh, i see now

i'm in hell

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I think it is a bad thought to say, that an ending was bad and that it was bad because the author stopped caring, not because you just disagree with it

it's bad, and also dumb

idk man i just feel like there was a bunch of stuff characterwise Hussie was setting up during the leadup to Remem8er that he just abruptly decided to flake out on

like i dont even really give much of a poo poo about resolution of the plot necessarily, i just was hoping for some payoff to the characters

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't expect everyone to agree about whether the ending was good or not, or to get as worked up or concerned about the ending or how it's received, but it's dishonest to claim that critiquing the comic is just the result of being in an echo chamber and inclined to hate it from the start.

I loved the poo poo out of Homestuck, and have for seven years. I have approximately a zillion posts in this thread, all picking it apart as avidly and honestly as I could as a fan, and have done nothing but post about Homestuck for the last hour and a half or so. I was entirely wrapped up in all the stories and mysteries (I'm still amazed that for all the long hiatus I failed to put together that the kids were in the icon rather than Vriska using the icon being how Caliborn got his hands on it for the Masterpiece).

Until just now, I'd been completely convinced that on the strength of his prior work like Problem Sleuth, considering how he'd managed to defy expectations and tie together lots of plots before as in Cascade, his willingness to make expansive and indulgent explorations like the walk-around flashes, the fact that we could already plot out the ending battles with Caliborn/LE and the fact that he'd had something like two years of hiatuses...

I was convince that taken together this meant that Act 7 would be a complete and satisfying experience that would resolve all outstanding questions and settle the final battles in a satisfying way. Something that was entirely feasible, both in terms of story (we could plot it out ourselves now, :speculate: style) and affordability (compared to a 9-minute full animation which clearly shows he was willing to sink some effort into it, even if it wasn't him).

It was not. I can't tell why exactly, possibly Hussie was convinced he needed to end with an artistic statement rather than grinding out everything he'd set up, or he was just plain too burned out or tied up to put in the same kind of effort he used to. I am disappointed, but I don't want to claim I'm just bouncing around a hater circlejerk.

Homestuck might be finally over, but now we've got forever for it to be kind of a letdown that people will argue about whenever people who read it gather.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Almost makes you find a new respect for the rest of the webcomics worlds policy of "never, ever end. Just let the comic stop in the middle someday when you die."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't even think the ending is bad per se, but it does show how dense and convoluted Homestuck became around the Alpha Troll timeline. It also does feel a bit...rushed, narrative-wise. Overall, I'm just happy Hussie got to finish Homestuck (mostly), so we can all move on and heal now.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I just watched it. I dont really understand what hapapened.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Even if this ending disappointed you, did the first 3/4 of the animation not just melt your heart

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Regardless of how Hussie feels about Homestuck nowadays, so much was just left hanging. I basically agree with the people saying it was a pair of cool animations, but so much of what developed over Homestuck's seven year run wasn't even close to wrapped up. There are so many characters that needed some closure and basically none of them got any.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
well the good news is i can put some work in to evolving my brand from Sincere Epicurean Appreciation of A Trash Webcomic to full on Star Wars Prequel Apologist Except for the Ending of Homestuck

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Everyone hates this right.. I mean it was really bad. I wish I had stopped caring so I didnt have to have get my hopes up... It was a real piece of crap.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

I just watched it. I dont really understand what hapapened.

Anime is real

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Game on

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

This thread is Shinji and Act 7 is Asuka's comatose body.

Wait, maybe it's the opposite.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
It's like reading The Dark Tower.

Why am I a slave to such promising huge scale works that just do. Not. Stick. The. Landing.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ross Angeles posted:

remember how cool Hivebent was

Hivebent was frigging sweet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

Everyone hates this right.. I mean it was really bad. I wish I had stopped caring so I didnt have to have get my hopes up... It was a real piece of crap.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

some people apparently like it and are grossly offended that everyone else is too much an ignoramus to understand the majesty