Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Has Koos Goop given his thoughts yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What happened to Vriska is the real question here. Maybe I just missed her in the final flash because I was too busy being underwhelmed?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

And, the kids looking up at the sun that says "THANKS FOR PLAYING" made me really happy

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

act 5 in general was just.. the peak

the looping flash page of Bilious Slick just inspired way more of a sense of awe and wonder than this amazing animation of the healthy universe frog

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

When I saw Daves shoujo pose at the end of the YouTube video I immediately pulled my gun out of my desk and unloaded repeatedly into my forehead.. Well I keep the bullets somewhere else but thats how bad it felt.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Elysiume posted:

What happened to Vriska is the real question here. Maybe I just missed her in the final flash because I was too busy being underwhelmed?

hitchhiking home through the outer ring, studiously refusing to check her freaking message backlog

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
nearly half of the final homestuck update was watching a tadpole

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Spellman posted:

And, the kids looking up at the sun that says "THANKS FOR PLAYING" made me really happy

That made me mad. It pissed me off

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

terezi looking away. :haw:

net cafe scandal posted:

Everyone hates this right.. I mean it was really bad. I wish I had stopped caring so I didnt have to have get my hopes up... It was a real piece of crap.

I loved it because the gratification of a satisfying ending is transitory, the spectacle of a bad ending and the people who watch it... that's forever. :allears:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Presumably she, Aradia, Sollux, Davepeta, and Meenah have all now been annihilated.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Can someone with thick skin very delicately explain to me what happened to Lord English.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

That made me mad. It pissed me off

It's OK, i get it. But idk it felt really conclusive to me

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Can someone with thick skin very delicately explain to me what happened to Lord English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGMuaXIlckU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I wonder if there was a reason for anyone other than Vriska to confront Lord English.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

WAR FOOT posted:

Presumably she, Aradia, Sollux, Davepeta, and Meenah have all now been annihilated.
Boo, no. I'm choosing this answer:

paranoid randroid posted:

hitchhiking home through the outer ring, studiously refusing to check her freaking message backlog

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Spellman posted:

Even if this ending disappointed you, did the first 3/4 of the animation not just melt your heart

I spent it uneasily realizing it was going to be one of those very pretty endings that don't advance or resolve anything at all and uneasily glancing at the last update button, praying it would be something significant.

This ending has really made me appreciate Undertale as The Better Homestuck, since it managed to be succinct and tightly plotted with an actual satisfying ending that didn't feel the need to duck out on actually delivering.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

net cafe scandal posted:

I just watched it. I dont really understand what hapapened.

Nothing happened.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

McStephenson posted:

It's like reading The Dark Tower.

Why am I a slave to such promising huge scale works that just do. Not. Stick. The. Landing.

Alastair Reynolds' Absolution Gap

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Remember when we saw Doc Scratch for the first time. Gat drat

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

WAR FOOT posted:

Music $200
Plot $150
Coloring $800
Tadpoles $3,600
Characterization $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my animators are dying

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Just popping in to say it's over (yaaay) and anyone who expected a tidy ending that resolved everything probably didn't read Problem Sleuth.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

McStephenson posted:

thatonepictureofthemspaintguyandthestump.jpg

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret >

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Enourmo posted:

Music $200
Plot $150
Coloring $800
Tadpoles $3,600
Characterization $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my animators are dying
spend less on tadpoles

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Remember the entire narrative involving Doc Scratch, Jack Noir, and Vriska, and how that culminated to the most epicly sad sequence ever. Holy Jeesus

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Portals posted:

Just popping in to say it's over (yaaay) and anyone who expected a tidy ending that resolved everything probably didn't read Problem Sleuth.
Problem Sleuth had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less to resolve.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its been long enough that you could forget the end of problem sleuth.

Also hoping Hussie would have taken lessons from it :v

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Portals posted:

Are you kidding? Problem Sleuth had a perfect ending. If it weren't for that, I'd have had way lower expectations for Act 7. But as is I agree that it feels very rushed and Evangelion

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Elysiume posted:

spend less on tadpoles

no

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

The ending was not great, but I'm not even mad. I'm just glad it's over. The flash was vague and disappointing enough that I can just assume all the characters (and specific versions of those characters) I like are alive and all my ships are canon. I think about how good and satisfying the true ending to Undertale was and channel that as I queue up the walkaround song on YouTube. Everything is fine. It's over.

Aren't you excited? Aren't you happy? You're free.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

net cafe scandal posted:

Remember the entire narrative involving Doc Scratch, Jack Noir, and Vriska, and how that culminated to the most epicly sad sequence ever. Holy Jeesus

Act 5 Act 2 was loving badass.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

Haha the thing was I liked that part

Mostly because i really thought there was gonna be more until I clicked the arrow.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I thought the final animation was gorgeous and really liked it. Not exactly sure what happened with young Lord English though. Anyone figured that out yet? It felt like something went terribly wrong and Lord English may not be as dead as we think thanks to the clock breaking or something.

WAR FOOT posted:

Sure was pretty though...

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

Act 5 Act 2 was loving badass.

IT was sweet as hell.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

marsattacks posted:

Although honestly we've got like a 20% chance of the flash just being the word "PSYCHE" fifty times, and then "THE END" and that's it for Homestuck.

Nice prediction.

net cafe scandal posted:

vriska dying was the happiest moment in homestuck

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

despite everything, i am still looking forward to the release of the sequel, "homestuck 3 homestuck," which was delayed to 2038 because of trolls.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Everyone sitting around proposing their own possible interpretation of the ending and what may or may not have happened to all the characters, and picking and choosing which ones they want to be true, is exactly what I didn't want the ending to be.

We had literal years of that poo poo over the long, sputtering hiatuses in latter Act 6. We have already explored these possibilities, an ending was meant to deliver surprises, or confirmation, some sort of catharsis that said that all the time we spent following and wondering and speculating - especially the speculating, because we had nothing to do but speculate for so long - would be resolved definitively. We're no better off than we were yesterday, we could carry on the same conversations wondering whether the sprites survived the end of the game or not except with the added detail of "well, I didn't see them in that glimpse of the future" so we can speculate about whether that was just a possible vision or if Lord English killed everyone anyway.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Haha the thing was I liked that part

Mostly because i really thought there was gonna be more until I clicked the arrow.

I remember my mindset:

Haha, Terezi looking the wrong way never gets old

Hmmmm, well, this tadpole is swimming, I better mouse over... Oh, that's not long left

uh

this really isn't long left

w-well, there's still a ===>

WHAT

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

[S] Jade: Enter was at least 100000000000000000000000000000x better than [S] ACT 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mazerunner posted:

Or maybe people are allowed to have opinions on something, and sometimes those opinions... ARE NEGATIVE?

and maybe they want to talk about what they didn't like, and why they felt it didn't work?

Sometimes people do go too far, but haha if your reaction to "this was disapointing" is 'stop hating HATERS"!

I feel like there is a difference between not liking and just a circle of pointless bitterness based more on pre-existent bad feelings than whatever is actually there.

Aside from a few well-worded exceptions, the thread's been mostly pointless bitterness. :shrug: