Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Goddamnit. I always feel the need to do my first run in a souls game as deprived, otherwise I don't get the Real Dark Souls Experience.

I get through the tutorial ok, dying a couple times on the boss but then in the next section end up getting my poo poo pushed in by the shadow Plagas dudes.

Reassure me goons. Tell me its ok to pick a normal class :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
One thing I don't like is that enemies tend to be inconsistent about combos. I fight this lotheric knight like ten times, he does a two hit combo every time. Eleventh time I fight him, I go for the kill after the second hit and he busts out a five hit combo for the first time ever.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

ymgve posted:

Fire axe is better, IMO. I enchanted the Pyromancer starting axe with fire and it's been my main weapon ever since. Also helps that I don't have to worry about pushing str/dex and can focus on my HP/stamina.

You know what's better than a water-filled swamp area? A poison-filled swamp area! Coming right up!

gently caress those giant crabs in the swamp part of Road of Sacrifice. They auto-track like motherfuckers, hit super hard, and have a boatload of HP. I ended up running through to get all my items in the end.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
There's so many people playing, I didn't know there were AI phantoms. I saw a guy summon one for Vordt and Whaaaaaaaat the Faraam armor is in the game, gently caress yeah, I wanna get it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pikey posted:

Goddamnit. I always feel the need to do my first run in a souls game as deprived, otherwise I don't get the Real Dark Souls Experience.

I get through the tutorial ok, dying a couple times on the boss but then in the next section end up getting my poo poo pushed in by the shadow Plagas dudes.

I wimped out and went Knight, but you can run past the rooftop dude.

Or hail destruction upon him from above, but if you haven't found a bow yet (and I don't think the nice merchant lady sells one) you're burning tougher to replace resources.

Edit: also, the Knight Shield, probably the best thing about the class, won't save you from an Abyss-possessed Hollow. The roof dude is basically a slightly dinkier version of phase two of the intro boss.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 13, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I will never be able to un see the tree with a nutsack, that you pop open....

Pikey posted:

The class means basically nothing. You talking about doing 5% more dmg and taking 5% less.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any good maces in the early game?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pikey posted:

It's definitely not ok. Keep going skeleton boy.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I Do Not Like this tree boss

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mazerunner posted:

There's an incredibly stark difference between Getting It and Not. My first three tries felt impossible and now it's my favored sunbro target.

Stay mobile, pick off easy to reach bubbles. The chaff in phase one A) are super slow and B) die to some of the tree's attacks.

Also, unless you have some really good phantoms and just need to not die, consider two-handing your weapon.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 13, 2016

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

The constant, unending heals are great I took that a few hours ago, and it's nearly at 400 now.
It's just before you meet Emma, so I guess people are relieved to know it's safe?

rhoga fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 13, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Mazerunner posted:

I don't like hosts that don't open the shortcut before they start summoning for it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

homeless poster posted:

has anyone else noticed that all of the bloodstain ghosts don't have any animations? like, they're all stuck in the default 3D poser T-shape (like jesus on a cross) and they just glide around the area willy nilly, and they don't have a death animation, they just disappear. this is happening across multiple zones now. at first i thought maybe one guy was a hacker, but i no longer see regular death ghosts from bloodstains and it's weird as hell.

okay it's now all other human NPCs. the last three times i invaded someone, the host and his phantoms would were still like statues and their models just floated around the map. they still had sound effects like running or rolling or swinging weapons, and i was still getting hit or backstabbed or whatever, but my computer doesn't give any visual indication of what other people are doing in game. am i the first person to hit this bug or is there some kind of easy fix that someone can share? it's so weird to watch; it's like a bunch of mimes that are not bound by gravity or friction sliding all over a map and then inexplicably one of them does a death scream and just fades out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

I don't like hosts that don't open the shortcut before they start summoning for it.

I found the path through the spear valley to be faster and pretty safe when you know how to do it.

The tree boss is also optional so you don't have to beat it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Plonk your symbol at the boss door. :colbert:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

rhoga posted:

The constant, unending heals are nice great I took that a few hours ago, and it's nearly at 400 now.
It's just before you meet Emma, so I guess people are relieved to know it's safe?

I'm really liking this meta-game of making the game easier with silly comments.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
gently caress, the online in this is so bad right now, but then its so good

3 sunbros vs. 3 invaders vs. crab army. The crabs got the kill on the host.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mazerunner posted:

Aim for it's NUTS! Look how it looks like some dude doing a crab walk, and when you see the nutsack, you will never unsee it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Aim for it's NUTS! Look how it looks like some dude doing a crab walk, and when you see the nutsack, you will never unsee it.

Its like a fat dude trying to give birth, and you're just wailing on some super-extended hemorrhoid. Its a great boss.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Andrast posted:

I found the path through the spear valley to be faster and pretty safe when you know how to do it.

Guess what dumbass hosts do not know how to do anything

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Plonk your symbol at the boss door. :colbert:

But then I have to wait longer than 5 seconds to be summoned

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Guess what dumbass hosts do not know how to do anything

But then I have to wait longer than 5 seconds to be summoned

It'll save you shitloads of time and annoyance on balance. 30 more seconds' wait, but you don't have to babysit morons (like we were yesterday :v: ) through a chunk of the zone.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
gently caress the run up to the abyssal watchers, a minute of just sprinting through scenery and then you either spend a few business days killing the ultra poised out dark knight dudes or sit on your rear end for a few minutes while they fight and then run past, hoping to not get utterly buttslammed by the spear spam. The fight itself is frustrating, but doable but the run up to it makes me want to just do something else. If there is a shortcut or something I am Interested.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm torn. Pyromancy rules but it feels like everyone is using it and I'm hipster trash

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Megafunk posted:

gently caress the run up to the abyssal watchers, a minute of just sprinting through scenery and then you either spend a few business days killing the ultra poised out dark knight dudes or sit on your rear end for a few minutes while they fight and then run past, hoping to not get utterly buttslammed by the spear spam. The fight itself is frustrating, but doable but the run up to it makes me want to just do something else. If there is a shortcut or something I am Interested.

The run is really loving short already though. What bonfire are you using?

Also, run to the boss from the right and not from in front of the door where the knights are.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm torn. Pyromancy rules but it feels like everyone is using it and I'm hipster trash

Sorcery seems very adequate from my sample size of people I've sunbroed.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There's an incredibly stark difference between Getting It and Not. My first three tries felt impossible and now it's my favored sunbro target.

Stay mobile, pick off easy to reach bubbles. The chaff in phase one A) are super slow and B) die to some of the tree's attacks.

Also, unless you have some really good phantoms and just need to not die, consider two-handing your weapon.

Got it very next attempt, thanks. I didn't even realize there were other bubbles besides the front.

Also what's the deal with the mound makers? I found the covenant, and I saw a summon sign with a purple phantom which I figure is them, but what's up?

Andrast posted:

The run from the cliff underside bonfire is about 15 seconds with no enemies, if you opened the door.

I like that undead settlement encourages you to explore down both paths. Go one way and get shot at, and unlock the boss but also have a long boss run. Go the other way, stop the arrows and get a short boss run.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Can you get the super broken dualwield maces in this game, ala DS2?

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
New game thread is fast, but: Is there any way to aim a crossbow (or even thrown items) without locking on? (also, does the lock-on range seem really short to anyone else?)

e: PS4, not PC.

CardTech
Nov 11, 2009

Baseball bro'ing at a super-high level
I super enjoyed the Abyss Walkers. Up to that point, I'd 1-shot all of the other bosses and was starting to get worried that I was going to run through everything.

Nope.

Thanks buddy!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Gortarius posted:

Can you get the super broken dualwield maces in this game, ala DS2?

Maybe :ssh:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've been playing for a while and I still don't know what Frostbite does.

Judging by google neither does anyone else. I guess it slows stamina regen except apparently not?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to get to the Old Wolf of Farron bonfire? This swamp is boring as hell to explore because it all looks the same and your movement speed is nonexistant in large portions of it. Is it before or after the doorway I got through by snuffing the 3 flames?

I just want my lightning spear so I can finally have a single offensive miracle.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 13, 2016

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Dark Souls three is the easiest of all Five From Software Soul Games.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Got it very next attempt, thanks. I didn't even realize there were other bubbles besides the front.

Also what's the deal with the mound makers? I found the covenant, and I saw a summon sign with a purple phantom which I figure is them, but what's up?

Not sure how they work from the inside, but seems like they're co op friendly phantoms that can also knife you in the back if they feel like it.

If I'm working on an area where I'm either confident I can retrieve my remains or don't have a ton of souls, I'll hit a purple symbol for giggles.

Edit: stoutfish, I think that might be confirmation bias from people already being familiar with the conventions.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

LibbyM posted:

Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to get to the Old Wolf of Farron bonfire? This swamp is boring as hell to explore because it all looks the same and your movement speed is nonexistant in large portions of it. Is it before or after the doorway I got through by snuffing the 3 flames?

Equip a dagger. Two hand it and press L2 a lot (it continues to work even when you run out of FP), enjoy travelling at a vaguely reasonable pace

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I've decided that Herald is actually a bad start to the game and I should have gone Deprived, Knight, or Pyromacer as I was thinking of doing. That being said, I'm too far in to restart now (level 50 with Sunlight Straight Sword and Solaire's stuff, just took out Deacons and heading for Yhorm most likely now) so I've had to deal with it, but man, the start was way worse than it should have been.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

LibbyM posted:

I just want my lightning spear so I can finally have a single offensive miracle.

Before.

Actually it's pretty close to the door, if you know where that is to use as reference. From the bonfire just before the door, follow the path down towards said door and immediately hang a right. Pass the rotunda filled with slugs and check the large structure to your right. Should be a ladder with a gathering of slugs under it.

Climb that ladder, son.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

I've decided that Herald is actually a bad start to the game and I should have gone Deprived, Knight, or Pyromacer as I was thinking of doing. That being said, I'm too far in to restart now (level 50 with Sunlight Straight Sword and Solaire's stuff, just took out Deacons and heading for Yhorm most likely now) so I've had to deal with it, but man, the start was way worse than it should have been.

"The start was bad, I should have done Deprived!" :v:

To be fair, at least then you could have lorded it over people like me who tried Deprived, got eaten by first boss phase two, and rerolled.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Funkmaster General posted:

Before.

Actually it's pretty close to the door, if you know where that is to use as reference. From the bonfire just before the door, follow the path down towards said door and immediately hang a right. Pass the rotunda filled with slugs and check the large structure to your right. Should be a ladder with a gathering of slugs under it.

Climb that ladder, son.

Thank you friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"The start was bad, I should have done Deprived!" :v:

To be fair, at least then you could have lorded it over people like me who tried Deprived, got eaten by first boss phase two, and rerolled.

Good to hear it's not just me.

I think I've died 50 times trying to beat the tutorial boss, what is this poo poo. I just want to appreciate the loot you give me Dark Souls, why won't you let me go in naked?

If you like Dark Souls' Artorias fight, you should definitely give the deprived a try, the boss has less health than Artorias, but oh god does he kick your face in if you try to dodge roll into him.