Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait you can get flynn's ring early in the game? Where?

It's in the Undead Settlement, at the end of a particularly long detour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Mordaedil posted:

How the heck do you beat the first boss? I can get him to half health before my club seems really useless.

You can get 3 or 4 free hits on him when you wake him up, then another 3 or 4 hits when he transforms. You just have to be on his back side to not get punched when he does that. After that... firebombs. You can find 5 or so before the boss from a cliff, guarded by two hollows.

EDIT:

But if you get bonfire crashes, you'll prob also crash when trying to ope nthe door after the boss. Rumour has it that you need to enter the door with low lighting, no clothes, no weapon and no shield, also you need to look down at your nose and have your tongue rolled up and your toes pointing north.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i summoned 3 people and we went on a ~15 invader kill spree on the long way to the boss in the Valley

online is so good.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

How the heck do you beat the first boss? I can get him to half health before my club seems really useless.

stay really close to him, if he makes any movements dodge to the right of him.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

i summoned 3 people and we went on a ~15 invader kill spree on the long way to the boss in the Valley

online is so good.

i wish i could get invaded :(

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
This game is like Bloodborne except there's actual stuff to find and rewards for doing stuff

it's pretty sick

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

GreyPowerVan posted:

stay really close to him, if he makes any movements dodge to the right of him.

On the other hand. Trying to stay close to him got me killed every time. During the first phase bait his leap attack and hit him twice while he recovers. It's really easy to get him to do this reliably. One he changes stay in mid-range and it's easy enough predict his attacks from there. You can quickly run in and hit him and run back out without getting hit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

It's in the Undead Settlement, at the end of a particularly long detour.

EVERYTHING IS IN THAT GODDAMNED SETTLEMENT :argh:

I like that area but the amount of stuff crammed into it is absurd. I dunno where to even begin looking for the ring. The only place I know I haven't been is the top of the tower occupied by whatever prick is firing arrows at me. No idea how to get up there either though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I love reading the wiki and seeing how many people are jumping the gun on the lore poo poo. This boss wields a sword? It must be artorias! And then half the pages half people writing fanfiction comments for ~lore reasons~. I can't wait for this to turn out like the bloodborne wiki where people just start wiping out whole pages of useful information over lore edit battles.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I like that area but the amount of stuff crammed into it is absurd. I dunno where to even begin looking for the ring. The only place I know I haven't been is the top of the tower occupied by whatever prick is firing arrows at me. No idea how to get up there either though.

You go from Dilapidated Bonfire, though the sewers like you were going to the Greatwood, but go past the two pot and saw guys, keep going that way, deal with the elevator "puzzle" and you'll be on the right track.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

Step on the elevator to send it down then step off before it goes down. You'll be able to hop on a higher elevator to the top. This way lies the top of the tower, but as it's going up and down you may hear a familiar "hmm". Try looking for a place to leap off, too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Thumbtacks posted:

Every single time i've been summoned i'm immediately targeted by the host, even if i go kill poo poo and point at stuff. i'm even wearing the white ring. :(

I have managed to get one host to the fog door and was unsummoned. I guess you must kill someone to get the rewards, which is not conductive to co-op. Plus there is way too much potential for trolling and backstabbing if you play nice at first and get close to the door without killing a phantom.

If we end up with a designated co-op area, like the bridge on the Iron Keep in DS 2 dropping purple signs may be fun for some free for all matches.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

gently caress me right in my dick

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So, with boss souls in the game, when you ask the little guy about em those are the only Soul item options you have, right? Wanna spend this crap if the options they give me remain so underwhelmink

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Step on the elevator to send it down then step off before it goes down. You'll be able to hop on a higher elevator to the top. This way lies the top of the tower, but as it's going up and down you may hear a familiar "hmm". Try looking for a place to leap off, too.

Welp, I genuinely would of never figured that out on my own. My habit of sending the elevators back up/down after using them in case I die backfired!

While I'm at it, I know there's a corpse hanging above the trench that the hammer dude was sitting in front of. I can't see any way to knock it down other than shooting it with arrows. Is it even worth the effort?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Plus there is way too much potential for trolling and backstabbing if you play nice at first and get close to the door without killing a phantom.

That's exactly why I'm trying to do it. :(

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Does leveling up talismans heal me more? Same question for lightning. I can't remember why a hankerchief has a physical attack stat that scales off of faith.

Okay second question, I bought the tower key, went up, and down, and up again. What's the prize on the not-coffin-staircase side of the abyss? I can jump there, but invisible walls push me over and to my death. It's not a jump prize but I don't know how else to get there. Running diagonal jump from the approach of the outside of the tower?

Bird chat: what the gently caress is a pumparum? or a pickle pee? Sparkly the crow wants rasputin's pickled dick in a jar? Where do you get this item? I assume it's some kind of smooth and shiny stone analog I haven't found yet.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Mordaedil posted:

Did it as deprived as well but it took me an hour. :suicide: He's basically a classic Souls boss: dodge into his attacks and stick to his rear end. Especially in phase 2 he's almost completely helpless if you're behind him and too slow to efficiently track you. I felt like the one way he was significantly different from earlier Dudes In Armor was that he actually attacks regularly from both directions and by thrusting. Most bosses in the series you can just always dodge in the same direction and never get hit but not this guy. Once I stopped just dodging by routine he didn't take long to beat.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

CJacobs posted:

"Hmm... I seem to be in a bit of a pickle. Or a pretzel, as it were."

Lol

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Thumbtacks posted:

gently caress me right in my dick

If it helps, the same thing happened to me, only the crystal spear faded just before impacting as I got the last hit. You'll get him, buddy. :unsmith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krinkle posted:

Does leveling up talismans heal me more? Same question for lightning. I can't remember why a hankerchief has a physical attack stat that scales off of faith.

Okay second question, I bought the tower key, went up, and down, and up again. What's the prize on the not-coffin-staircase side of the abyss? I can jump there, but invisible walls push me over and to my death. It's not a jump prize but I don't know how else to get there. Running diagonal jump from the approach of the outside of the tower?

Bird chat: what the gently caress is a pumparum? or a pickle pee? Sparkly the crow wants rasputin's pickled dick in a jar? Where do you get this item? I assume it's some kind of smooth and shiny stone analog I haven't found yet.

Yes leveling up talismans will heal you more or do more lightning damage, but depends upon your exact stats as to how much. Watch the "magic buff" stat when you examine / upgrade them, or something like that. I forget the name, there's a stat.

It is a jump prize, its just a very hard one to time right. Its easy to slip off. Also make sure you're at full health. I forget what it was sorry, something pretty cool.

Bird chat: Its not Sparkly. Pumparum is the crow's name. Every single souls' game, the crows' name comes from the silly sounds they sound and what things they ask for, like a pokemon.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 13, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So there's one door I can't seem to figure out in the Wall of Lothric. It's the area below the tower bonfire, before the locked up NPC. It's a one way door with what looks like an elevator behind it, I can't seem to figure out what it could possibly lead to or how to open it, anyone know?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Edit: actually I was thinking of a different door maybe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nuebot posted:

So there's one door I can't seem to figure out in the Wall of Lothric. It's the area below the tower bonfire, before the locked up NPC. It's a one way door with what looks like an elevator behind it, I can't seem to figure out what it could possibly lead to or how to open it, anyone know?

You get the key to that MUCH, much later in the game. It only contains a single enemy, who drops the infinite use red orb

You're meant to go "argh, what's that? oh well I'll come back later" :)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

You get the key to that MUCH, much later in the game. It only contains a single enemy, who drops the infinite use red orb

Oh, okay for some reason I could have sworn it said it was one of those doors you could only open from behind and so I was running in circles trying to find a shortcut I missed or something. Thanks, now to move on after spending these souls so they don't go to waste.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I managed to go into this totally unspoiled and am having a blast so far

Can I just say that, after the previous three games in the series had me fighting a skeleton made of skeletons, an army of skeletons that creates a bigger army of skeletons, and a giant electric beast skeleton, I find it extremely good that the end of the series throws me up against a skeleton the size of a skyscraper who summons other skeletons and also bonewheels. GOTY

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Solomonic posted:

I managed to go into this totally unspoiled and am having a blast so far

Can I just say that, after the previous three games in the series had me fighting a skeleton made of skeletons, an army of skeletons that creates a bigger army of skeletons, and a giant electric beast skeleton, I find it extremely good that the end of the series throws me up against a skeleton the size of a skyscraper who summons other skeletons and also bonewheels. GOTY

I just hope they make at least one more spinoff where you fight skeleton voltron.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so this is kicking rad but

Zaphod42 posted:

I got it after I beat the Undead Settlement Boss!

also the fact that if you die while invading you lose all your souls is terrible. also you only get like, 200 for a kill which is also super lame.

aaaaaaaaaanyway my +2 fire longsword is kinda getting long in the tooth and I need to replace it. the Irithyll Straight Sword is rad but does poo poo for damage and I don't have any twinkling titanite.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

also the fact that if you die while invading you lose all your souls is terrible. also you only get like, 200 for a kill which is also super lame.

aaaaaaaaaanyway my +2 fire longsword is kinda getting long in the tooth and I need to replace it. the Irithyll Straight Sword is rad but does poo poo for damage and I don't have any twinkling titanite.

You dont lose all your souls, you can retrieve them via bloodstain.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah you can get it as early as then, although compared to lothric that's still later. But I guess I exaggerated on the MUCH. But point is don't worry about it for now. It comes into play later when you do some invading..

As for losing souls, yeah lame but that's happened in other games I feel like. Just spend your souls before you go invading, you know when you're setting out to do it. If you have less than a level's worth, no biggie, if you have more, spend them first.

You get a decent number of souls per kill at higher level, plus covenant rewards. But the real reward is to crush your enemies and see them driven before you. :black101:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

net cafe scandal posted:

You dont lose all your souls, you can retrieve them via bloodstain.

mound men don't lose them at all :pervert:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I'm finding that bosses and most enemies go down quickly when I spam R1 attacks with my bandit knife. Bleed is pretty good.Except when it's not. Enemies that don't bleed are pretty awful to fight, the Exiles in the swamp, for example.

What would a good dex/luck backup weapon be for these situations? And where could I find one?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Internet Kraken posted:

It's actually on the way to him. There's an elevator to get up to him, but pay close attention to that elevator. The ring isn't far away.

Edit: thread moves too fast and most of you don't seem to care to use spoiler tags so RIP

enojy fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 13, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Nuebot posted:

Oh, okay for some reason I could have sworn it said it was one of those doors you could only open from behind and so I was running in circles trying to find a shortcut I missed or something. Thanks, now to move on after spending these souls so they don't go to waste.

I have a notepad document to write down poo poo I don't want to miss and have it referenced as "shortcut" so yeah, probably says something like "opens from the other side" or something.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Afriscipio posted:

What would a good dex/luck backup weapon be for these situations? And where could I find one?

You can score a sharp gem from a crystal lizard on the ledge above the dilapidated bridge bonfire in settlement, then get the coal you need to teach Andre to make sharp weapons in the crucifix valley; this lets you hypercharge any weapon's dex scaling so you can jam it on a rapier or the lothric knight sword (bss moveset, dex > str scaling) or something

You can also kill (npc spoiler) Anri for her sword if you don't care about her quest, it scales well with luck

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is there a way to kill the grenadiers on the roof of undead settlement

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I've lost my patience. Can someone in the range of level 41 and +4 weapons please be a summon for Farron Keep Perimeter? This area is a nightmare to go through, and the few times I get to the boss I don't have any flasks left.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Anyone else getting crashes on the Sage? Real pain since he's fairly easy otherwise.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just had sage lock up for five minutes because one of the copies wouldn't despawn and kept shooting CSS at people until I boned out. That was an odd experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

I've lost my patience. Can someone in the range of level 41 and +4 weapons please be a summon for Farron Keep Perimeter? This area is a nightmare to go through, and the few times I get to the boss I don't have any flasks left.

I'm not going to be on to summon but a good tip if you can't find anyone to help: Let both Darkwraiths walk past your spawn without agroing them, they will start fighting all the other enemies. Pull one of the darkwraiths and fight it on its own while the other one kills every other enemy for you.