Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Someone told me in discord that it's dead. I got a shadow delivery mission last night and just did it for the 1.6 million credits. I don't know if whatever money making exploit still works or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What I know still works is stack up on shadow delivery missions cause they give like 1-5 slaves out now, and reward you >5 million per if your trader rank is high enough. They'll all be to only a couple places so you can unload all of them fairly quickly, making loads of cash.

No idea about just getting missions with lots of slave and dumping them though. Probably not?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Tippis posted:

…and with the previous video in mind, maybe you should ask him to include a list of pucker-factor warp ins to look out for :D

I've had a couple in my journeys. 89% hull and glad I packed one of those repair modules. Though I do admit that twice I flew into a star's corona because I was busy watching Netflix or Amazon on the second monitor. :sun:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MoraleHazard posted:

I've had a couple in my journeys. 89% hull and glad I packed one of those repair modules. Though I do admit that twice I flew into a star's corona because I was busy watching Netflix or Amazon on the second monitor. :sun:

Tbh, being able to mark (or preferably even share) that kind of information would be one of the greatest boons ever (next to being able to synthesise heat sinks). I seem to recall that there was some talk about bookmarking in a future update that could solve part of that.

…or they could improve the star placement preview in the map screen so jumping in from a safe(ish) angle actually put you in the system at that angle. I've lost count of the number of times I've travelled to systems because, even though they look a bit close, the map say I should arrive perpendicular to how the stars line up, only to arrive right inbetween them. :argh:

Dirtybilly
Jul 27, 2013

KakerMix posted:

Peer to peer kind of makes any sort of penalty for combat logging moot. This game isn't one to do acute salt harvesting like that anyway, it rewards the slow plodding giant pay off kind.

Ok so then iyo how is pvp compared to launch I played for about 3 months and then put it on my F U shelf. Worth getting back into it?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

MoraleHazard posted:

If you hit (x) or set your thrust to zero while the jump countdown is occurring, you stop automatically before you ever reach the star's danger zone. It is super useful and I do it all the time now when I don't wan't to risk overheating or don't want to check the star type.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Hamelekim posted:

If you hit (x) or set your thrust to zero while the jump countdown is occurring, you stop automatically before you ever reach the star's danger zone. It is super useful and I do it all the time now when I don't wan't to risk overheating or don't want to check the star type.

You can also do that at any time during the jump, the throttle position on the HUD won't change until you hit supercruise on the other side but it totally works, if you go into freelook you can see your pilot model moving the throttle in the cockpit.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

Gonkish posted:

I decided to fire Elite back up and go shoot some stuff today, and lo and behold the x52 pro drivers are hosed up in Win 10 again... meaning I have to install the stick as a generic USB device and thus can't do poo poo like map all the keys, etc.

How the gently caress can this STILL BE HAPPENING, MadCatz? poo poo...

Yeah I've had this happen a few times, and haven't installed newer ones yet. But doing the general USB thing, then lets the joystick panel in Win10 eventually detect it and all my keybinds and everything are back to normal in the game. You totally lose yours?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

magic mountain posted:

You can also do that at any time during the jump, the throttle position on the HUD won't change until you hit supercruise on the other side but it totally works, if you go into freelook you can see your pilot model moving the throttle in the cockpit.

I've also found that just being alt tabbed while jumping between systems will have the game automatically kill your throttle when you warp in.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I decided to do some canyon racing in my iggle tonight. It went about as well as expected.
https://www.twitch.tv/royal_w/v/60047878?t=02m46s

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

I've also found that just being alt tabbed while jumping between systems will have the game automatically kill your throttle when you warp in.

Yeah that's a relatively recent patch.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Dirtybilly posted:

Ok so then iyo how is pvp compared to launch I played for about 3 months and then put it on my F U shelf. Worth getting back into it?

There's a bunch of player groups that do PvP stuff including our very own Diamond Frogs here over in Private Game Servers, if you want to wing up with goons and jump dumb pubbies all day they're the right people to talk to :v:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Is it me or has combat become a bit harder? Or was I unlucky to stumble across a FAS in Haz Rez that was a literal bullet sponge?

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

WebDog posted:

Is it me or has combat become a bit harder? Or was I unlucky to stumble across a FAS in Haz Rez that was a literal bullet sponge?

I can reliably kill everything in a HazRez with my nowhere near A-grade Vulture except for FAS, they seem to be masters of flying backward and keeping you locked forever.

Moosepickle
Nov 29, 2015

I was cured, all right!
Ever wondered what it's like to be a frog? But didn't have the [insert excuse here]? Maybe you fly with friends, who aren't part of the SA community?

Now you can toad-ally fly with the Frogs, under a public Org! It's time to stop grinding Elite, and start playing Elite! By Grinding... with the Adamant Toads!

Grinding not your thing? What about TOP TIER PVP? We shoot those guys a lot. So if you like shooting the kind of people who crow about being TOP TIER PVP then this is also a good idea for you.

Hop on Discord or join us on Inara now: http://inara.cz/wing/814

Tell them Moosepickle sent you! We'll be warting for you!

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop

Moosepickle posted:

Ever wondered what it's like to be a frog?

Grinding not your thing? What about TOP TIER PVP? We shoot those guys a lot. So if you like shooting the kind of people who crow about being TOP TIER PVP then this is also a good idea for you.

You had me at [top tier]. Can I have dual citizenship?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I think the only requirement for Adamant Toads is "Don't be a Diamond Frog". Frogs are the only people explicitly denied from joining Adamant Toads. Otherwise, being a spy for another org who joins Toads is certainly allowable

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Haven't played ED in a long time, was waiting for Multi-Crew and Custom Commander updates and noticed a lot has changed. Is Horizons worth grabbing at full price or should I wait for a sale? Looking to do a little bit of everything (I heard trading slaves at certain stations is the biggest money maker?) and now I have more time to devote to figuring this game out.

Moosepickle
Nov 29, 2015

I was cured, all right!

Fishreds99 posted:

You had me at [top tier]. Can I have dual citizenship?

Follow the toad hole and see how far it goes [click the link idiot boo].

Moosepickle fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 13, 2016

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't part of Distant Worlds (but in my defence I did see Zulu Romeo's giant rear end in a top hat in the sky and hit Elite in exploration) but this was too cool not to get.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Ziji posted:

Haven't played ED in a long time, was waiting for Multi-Crew and Custom Commander updates and noticed a lot has changed. Is Horizons worth grabbing at full price or should I wait for a sale? Looking to do a little bit of everything (I heard trading slaves at certain stations is the biggest money maker?) and now I have more time to devote to figuring this game out.

In your case I'd think waiting for a sale would work unless the idea of driving space buggies really grabs your attention.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Arach posted:

I wasn't part of Distant Worlds (but in my defence I did see Zulu Romeo's giant rear end in a top hat in the sky and hit Elite in exploration) but this was too cool not to get.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. You got the DWE logo on a piece of cloth?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Lookit this scrub who doesn't know where their towel is :smuggo:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Strategic Tea posted:

Lookit this scrub who doesn't know where their towel is :smuggo:

Hahaha, oh man. I actually did Distant Worlds, but I haven't been paying attention to their Discord since Beagle Point because I got distracted by Black Desert Online. Where do I buy this? I must have it

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

Astroniomix posted:

In your case I'd think waiting for a sale would work unless the idea of driving space buggies really grabs your attention.

Gotcha, yeah I think I'll wait. Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction in terms of money making/fun? I have a Cobra Mk III and roughly 600k at a place called "Wohler Station." All I remember from playing a long time ago was finding conflict zones and bounty hunting, which was fun, but not great money wise.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That depends what you find fun.

If you want some working money, you can fit your Cobra for long range trading. Do a couple of rare trading circuits, that should take a few hours and net you about 3-4 million. You should be able to upgrade the hyperdrive to A after the first one to make it go a bit faster. Do more rares circuits as you like, or head out to the edge of occupied space to do shadow deliveries (i.e. Robigo runs).

edit: in case you don't know it, there's a trick to travelling long distances quickly with a fuel scoop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i4bl_YBN10

From there it's up to you. An Asp is a good workhorse ship for doing rares trading, shadow deliveries and rep grinding missions, that'll cost about 11 million. You'll need about 6 million for a minimal combat fitted Vulture if fighting is more your thing.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 14, 2016

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

tooterfish posted:

That depends what you find fun.

If you want some working money, you can fit your Cobra for long range trading. Do a couple of rare trading circuits, that should take a few hours and net you about 3-4 million. You should be able to upgrade the hyperdrive to A after the first one to make it go a bit faster. Do more rares circuits as you like, or head out to the edge of occupied space to do shadow deliveries (i.e. Robigo runs).

edit: in case you don't know it, there's a trick to travelling long distances quickly with a fuel scoop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i4bl_YBN10

From there it's up to you. An Asp is a good workhorse ship for doing rares trading, shadow deliveries and rep grinding missions, that'll cost about 11 million. You'll need about 6 million for a minimal combat fitted Vulture if fighting is more your thing.

Awesome, thanks. I'm still way far from Robigo (I checked it out on the map) but I will definitely check out that fit and get going.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Everything's far from Robigo, that's the point!

Missions pay more the further they go. Robigo is outside occupied space, so all its generated missions are to destinations that are at a minimum of 200 light years away. Subsequently, they pay a fortune. People out there will literally pay you a million credits to transport 40 tons of biowastepoo poo. You can get 6 million for smuggling a few tons of narcotics.

You need a long range ship and some trading ranks to make the most of it though. Which is why I recommend you do some rares trading before you head out there, you need minimal capital and no trade ranks to do that.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Robigo is more limited right now. Last few nights I've been smuggling to build up some money for df. Seems alot more bb scumming to get missions that you can get without a very high trading rank. Lots for tycoon and entrepreneur. Still a solid source of money and fun dodging all the interdictions. But might be out of the realm of someone without a trading rank.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I don't scum the board, that's tedious as gently caress. I just run from Sothis to Robigo, Almagest and Takurua (or Takurua to Almagest, I've forgot the order). I skip Ceos, it's usually poo poo... although maybe the economy has improved lately, might be worth checking. That's five boards total (two in Sothis), and you usually get at least one big payout mission at each one, as well as some lower paying courier missions to the same destinations.

You could argue it's still tedious, but I'd argue it's more interesting than continually logging in and out of a game for a hobby.

edit: Ceos isn't an acronym you idiot.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 14, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
As far as bounty hunting, resource extraction sites are where it's at, theyre on gas giants with metal rich rings.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You can easily just leech off the police at a high-res. Find the 'wanted' target the spacecops are shooting at, fire off a couple of shots, and claim the bounty. You don't need to get the killing blow.

You can't as easily do this in a Hazres, where the spacecops don't show up. Of course if you have certain ships you can just solo in a hazres.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

IAmTheRad posted:

You can easily just leech off the police at a high-res. Find the 'wanted' target the spacecops are shooting at, fire off a couple of shots, and claim the bounty. You don't need to get the killing blow.

You can't as easily do this in a Hazres, where the spacecops don't show up. Of course if you have certain ships you can just solo in a hazres.

The trick with Hazres is to have no cargo so that you can pick and choose your engagements. Stick with ships that aren't in a wing to start with.

It's also always worth asking in discord if anyone else is bounty hunting/willing to go bounty hunting with you.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Astroniomix posted:

The trick with Hazres is to have no cargo so that you can pick and choose your engagements. Stick with ships that aren't in a wing to start with.

It's also always worth asking in discord if anyone else is bounty hunting/willing to go bounty hunting with you.

This. I'm usually up for bounty hunting. Gives me a good excuse to gleefully slide around like a drunken pirate in my vulture. :yarr:

(5A Thrusters are magical, yo)

Edit: Question: if I like the way the vulture flies, will I like the Federal ships? They look fun, and the 'vette is gorgeous.

Zest fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 14, 2016

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Zest posted:

This. I'm usually up for bounty hunting. Gives me a good excuse to gleefully slide around like a drunken pirate in my vulture. :yarr:

(5A Thrusters are magical, yo)

Edit: Question: if I like the way the vulture flies, will I like the Federal ships? They look fun, and the 'vette is gorgeous.

The Assault Ship yes. The others noooooo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lima posted:

The Assault Ship yes. The others noooooo.

Has anyone found practical reasons to use the Federal Gunship as, well, your primary ship? Or even any particular niche uses for it other ships can't handle cheaper, better, or both?

Which also reminded me "Oh hey didn't the Federal Dropship used to cost as much as the Gunship?" Which seems pretty high for only two small lasers more than a Dropship and the least internal slots of any "Federal" ship.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The Federal Dropship and Federal Gunship occupy the unfortunate category of "why?". There is literally no reason to ever fly either one of them unless you simply must stick to the Federal aesthetic, in which case go nuts.

Basically the Assault Ship is great but if you want a gun covered merchant or tank that doesn't turn well, stick to a Python. (it also turns better)

If you don't mind never landing at an outpost ever again then I strongly endorse the Imperial Clipper because it can do pretty much anything. (but it won't be best in class at anything either)

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
What is a 'Discord'?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Emnity posted:

What is a 'Discord'?

Combined chatroom server and voip server. It's basically perfect for running game guilds/orgs in because you can be in multiple servers effortlessly and keep track of all your poo poo nice and organized in one place and have groups within servers with different access levels.

Practically the entire Elite community across the entire game has swapped to using Discord. Even the developers use it. A bunch of other game communities/guilds are also making the move because it's just so drat convenient.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Space Skeleton posted:

Combined chatroom server and voip server. It's basically perfect for running game guilds/orgs in because you can be in multiple servers effortlessly and keep track of all your poo poo nice and organized in one place and have groups within servers with different access levels.

Practically the entire Elite community across the entire game has swapped to using Discord. Even the developers use it. A bunch of other game communities/guilds are also making the move because it's just so drat convenient.

Yeah, I really like discord vs. the Jabber / Mumble setups of other guilds. It's nice being able to see what games people are playing, text chat, or talk.

• Locked thread